Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I wasn't clear with my post. I understood what you meant, but I wanted you to try it, expecting you to fail.

One part of it is that the original levels are fairly well illuminated so the player can navigate. All the original levels should be much darker, considering that they are set at night or in space.

The other part of it is that illuminating the windows while keeping the outside of the building dark is not possible with Duke 3D's stock texture set (to my knowledge). Your options would be:
a. Make a new texture with a dark exterior and a lit window.
b. Make a new art tile with a lit window to use a sprite over a dimly-shaded texture (which would give better-quality shading, but use a lot of sprites).
c. Make a new texture with a lit window and the rest of the space transparent and use it on a masked wall 1 unit in front of the dimly-shaded building.
d. Create an impossible amount of TROR to shade each window as its own wall, which would probably need a custom texture anyway to look good.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The easiest way would be to make a larger highres texture with glowmaps, but that would only work with Polymost/Polymer. A more complicated solution would be to spawn wall-aligned sprites in front of walls with building texture, but it would fail to work with oddly aligned textures.

User is offline   Mark 

You could do a comprimise by putting a bright texture sprite in front of the window and hit T to make it transparent. I used tile 4207 in this test. Because of the transparency you can still see the curtain texture when close up.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: FAKE LIGHT.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 14 August 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

The easiest way would be to make a larger highres texture with glowmaps

No.

That is not what glowmaps are for.

View PostMark., on 14 August 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

You could do a comprimise by putting a bright texture sprite in front of the window and hit T to make it transparent. I used tile 4207 in this test. Because of the transparency you can still see the curtain texture when close up.

Well you proved me wrong by finding a suitable sprite in Duke's art!

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostHendricks420, on 14 August 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

No.

Um.... Why not? They're ideal for tex-lighting situations.

EDIT: In case I came off douchey there. I'm honestly asking, because I never knew this was an issue. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 14 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostDrek, on 11 August 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

Sounds similar to what I hit loading all the voxel enemies. I custom broke the cache system to make it load. You could try the exe in the voxel pack.
https://sites.google...site/duke3dvmp/

Doesn't work, but thanks.

At this point I guess all I can do is limit each video. I think 2500 frames should be safe and should give me just over two and a half minutes worth of video to use - around 30 seconds per video - which is enough to make my point. Oh, well, back to work on this abomination.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHendricks420, on 14 August 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

No.

How not? The 8-bit counterpart would be to make a fullbright table for the windows.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostSkulldog, on 10 August 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

-addon [0.1.2.3] does not seem to work for megaton addons anymore. Also the megaton addon group files don't show up in the startup window.

I've found the cause of the issue, which I think you already did for your DOSBox launchers. Megaton's directory layout for the add-ons changed.

It will be fixed in an upcoming push.

I hope to soon support loading the SC-55 OGGs included with Megaton as well, but it will require redoing some infrastructure. Damn the grabbag.ogg included in the nw folder.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLeoD, on 31 July 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

Oh boy, this picky type of behaviour really ain't what anyone would expect from a command named veryclean. The outcome should never be dependent of whatever make parameters were used for previous build runs. Academic excuses about cleaner implementation of makefiles or whatever don't apply here. If I can't rely on veryclean, it's useless.

View PostHendricks420, on 31 July 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

It's not called veryclean because it'll make everything spic & span and wipe your ass while it's at it. Though, as much as I want to reply

Spoiler

I can't find a good reason not to change the behavior so that it once again deletes $(OBJ)/* instead of the list of object files.

I just found a good reason. We execute `rm -f` in our clean statements, and I'm not about to include a wildcard that could seriously mess things up.

Besides, if you want the functionality you ask for, you can always recursively delete all directories named "obj".

User is offline   Fox 

loadgrp can only be used in the originating .def file;

The question is, why? It would be usefull to use it in another .def file.

• Weaponized Autism

Works for me. Wherever that is stated should be corrected.

User is offline   Fox 

I found a small mistake. Eduke32 hack for switching weapons allows you to switch a weapon being fired, however it doesn't when you are using the Mighty Boot Engaged.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHendricks420, on 20 August 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Besides, if you want the functionality you ask for, you can always recursively delete all directories named "obj".
So you could add that one to make veryclean ... no wildcards involved.

User is offline   Fox 

-------------------------------------------------- ----------------------
r4575 | helixhorned | 2014-08-20 10:58:21 -0700 (Wed, 20 Aug 2014) | 3 lines

Amend r4378 to hopefully make "stuck in water" fix work properly.

NOTE: lizmen may walk on water. I don't yet know why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.duke4....155#entry176155

This post has been edited by Fox: 24 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

make USE_OPENGL=0 fails to build, 3rd incarnation:
Spoiler

User is offline   Fox 

At this point wouldn't it make sense for Eduke32 download to include two executables?

Eduke32.exe
Eduke32_x86.exe

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFox, on 25 August 2014 - 06:01 AM, said:

At this point wouldn't it make sense for Eduke32 download to include two executables?

Eduke32.exe
Eduke32_x86.exe
I'm in favour of a small number of downloadable packages as well, but this would break all batch files for Win32 users. IIRC there was talk about a 32 bit EDuke32.exe that could start some EDuke64.exe if possible on the given machine. The SysInternals Process Explorer seems to work somewhat like that, for example.

User is offline   Fox 

Batch files

=

Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Batch files for people who know how to use them are awesomesause. Distributing them with software packages and asking non-technical types to use them is selling fishing weights made of Plutonium and putting in big red letters on the front of the package: WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT CLACK THEM TOGETHER!!!.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Batch files are part of the heart and soul of Dos games. What other choices are there? Command line options in shortcuts :(
ps. I love the picture, I'll be sure to bring keys if I ever cross the pond.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostDrek, on 25 August 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

What other choices are there?

What do we need batch files for these days?

User is offline   Kyanos 

Mostly I use .bat to run EDuke32 with different mods or multiplayer modes. I used them to make all the enemy voxels from command line using poly2vox. Some other random scripting here and there too.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFox, on 25 August 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

What do we need batch files for these days?
Properly start a plethora of maps and mods which were created over the last decade.
I don't promote batch files for new projects, but they're reality for old ones. Even NightFright's project from the other thread would never be able to replace them all.

View PostDrek, on 25 August 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Mostly I use .bat to run EDuke32 with different mods or multiplayer modes.
Same here. Besides lots of BATs within it, I have only one clean EDuke32 installation folder, and therefore only one textures file to save precious space on my SSD.

User is offline   Fox 

Can't you just use "custom game content directory"? Although Eduke32 should have a \mod subdirectory for that stuff.

And it would be better to use an SSD for the operational system only. Otherwise it kinda of ruins the purpose of having a faster drive...

This post has been edited by Fox: 25 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFox, on 25 August 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Can't you just use "custom game content directory"? Although Eduke32 should have a \mod subdirectory for that stuff.
And it would be better to use an SSD for the operational system only. Otherwise it kinda of ruins the purpose of having a faster drive...
Faster load time of the HRP is a purpose, too. :(
"Custom game content directory" gives me extra textures files in my DukePlus and Attrition subfolders, therefore I leave that blank and use the -j option instead.

User is offline   Kyanos 

That's awesome that you run the HRP on SSD, I was just pricing out solid state drives for my OS and a few apps to run on.

I think adding in command line option functions to the launcher is a good idea, maybe an advanced settings tab to keep things clean. Till then I'm gonna batch it up.
PS. I swear my dos/win 3.1 rig had this autoexec.bat in 1996. Long live bat files.
cd duke3d
duke3d

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDrek, on 25 August 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

I think adding in command line option functions to the launcher is a good idea

Nope. The average tard who doesn't know how to bring up cmd.exe wouldn't know what to do with that box either. Anyone who does know would likely know how to open the command prompt.

maybe an advanced settings tab to keep things clean.

That's not necessary. Per-mod settings would best be distributed with the mod in a format that I am (still) planning.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

That's awesome that you run the HRP on SSD, I was just pricing out solid state drives for my OS and a few apps to run on.
It's 120GB:
- 40GB for a shits, giggles, and rescue Linux
- 80GB for Windows, including ~8GiB for Duke related stuff
SSD really makes a difference for booting or letting TortoiseSVN search for local HRP repo modifications.

cd duke3d
duke3d
:(

This post has been edited by LeoD: 25 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

User is offline   Fox 

There is no shiftvarvar command? Lame.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 15 November 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

From actors.c:
        if (dasectnum < 0 ||
                ((actor[spritenum].actorstayput >= 0 && actor[spritenum].actorstayput != dasectnum) ||
                 (spr->picnum == BOSS2 && spr->pal == 0 && sector[dasectnum].lotag != ST_3) ||
                 ((spr->picnum == BOSS1 || spr->picnum == BOSS2) && sector[dasectnum].lotag == ST_1_ABOVE_WATER)
//                 || (sector[dasectnum].lotag == ST_1_ABOVE_WATER && (spr->picnum == LIZMAN || (spr->picnum == LIZTROOP && spr->zvel == 0)))
                )

What's the reason for that line being commented out? That's what is causing the issue with Troopers and Enforcers walking in water sectors.

I can't answer the first question as the change was in r1044, but uncommenting that line does not solve the issue with the current state of things: a LIZMANJUMP in an ST1 sector stops moving altogether then. The block that runs if the condition is true returns early from the function, thereby not reaching TROR-related code, so keeping the line commented out seems sane.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options