Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

You know what's really ironic about the menu options in ZDoom? They likely exist to help people find settings without looking up the cvars, but there are so many options that it's faster to just look up the cvar than it is to try and find anything in that mess. There are so many menu options that they could put a Cyberdemon at the end of it and have the menu itself be a "labyrinth of the minotaur" subgame. This does not fit current EDuke32 design principles at all.

By the way, the slimer not being affected by quick kick in 1.3D appears to be another bug caused by the last minute changes to quick kick. The 1.0/1.1 style kick would have killed a slimer. We are not purposely adding bugs to reflect the behavior of one version of duke3d.exe when there were 4 more official versions (1.0, 1.1, 1.4, 1.5) that have no such bugs.

I'm almost certain that with the power of CON in it's current state, one could mod almost any desired behavior into the game if they really wanted to anyway. Probably a little tedious but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible.

I've never used ZDoom, but thinking of all the fixes done to EDuke over the years and imagining a list of them in a menu gives me a headache... I can only imagine this ZDoom menu looks much the same as what I see in my head right now.

• el fundador

Here's a good example:

Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMetHy, on 30 September 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

The "2 feet" thing can be considered a fix,

It indisputably is. The requests to bring back the buggy behavior are in the spirit of holding Tilde and LCtrl with your left hand and pumping your wang with your right. That's not the spirit that gets features added.

User is offline   MetHy 

So you get to decide which part of the original game has to be kept or not ?

I don't see what's wrong with having the option of playing 1.3 the way it does play. I don't even care whether those things were glitches or not, all I know is that it's how it is in the original 1.3 game and that it's not how it is in EDuke32 using that same GRP. Both the double feet and the slimer killing have a huge impact on gameplay and were part of the game for the hundreds of thousands of people who played it before sourceports were a thing.

Also the menu comparison is exaggerated, I wasn't asking to put "every feature EDuke32 added", just two features that were in the orignial game.

Edit : BTW I'd be totally fine if that sub-menu giving the option to turn on/off those 2 things only appeared when using an 1.3 GRP (though in this case, they should be on by default...).
While you're at it, you can put the option to activate tougher custom palette Pigcops as well with 1.3, so that's 3 things :) though this matters a lot less since it only concerns some 1.3-only usermaps.

I say having accurate gameplay is an improvement, not a step back.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 30 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

User is offline   brownfarted 

• The Original Shitposter

Want Feet ?

Introducting :
Shitkicker

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postbrownfarted, on 30 September 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Want Feet ?

Introducting :
Shitkicker

Speaking of shit kicking! Methy what are you doing in Russia?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

I think some cvars for people really picky about those things wouldn't hurt, but ultimately those guys ARE the people coding for Eduke32 so if they don't like it, it won't get added in (The nature of the beast is that anybody can take up coding and make a new port using the original or the Eduke32 teams' stuff due to the licensing, but nobody else wants to)

Speaking of Cvars and old glitches, I remember you guys fixed an issue where using the slot 0 foot was supposed to slow you down whilst firing but didn't. If I remember right it was a bug in V1.5 where you moved normally and other versions had you move slowly. Any idea what I'm talking about? because if there are Cvars, being able to disable that would be nice.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

There is some visual glitch beetween the time the loading screen ends and the game starts, which the menu and camera position flicks. Would it be possible to extend the loading screen by 1 tic to cover this?

User is offline   MetHy 

When watching demos there is a time bar at the top (which lets you fast forward/backward too), it's very useful, however it's very obtrusive especially if one wants to record a video. Any way to hide the bar? If not could that be added?

View PostJblade, on 01 October 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

I think some cvars for people really picky about those things wouldn't hurt, but ultimately those guys ARE the people coding for Eduke32 so if they don't like it, it won't get added in (The nature of the beast is that anybody can take up coding and make a new port using the original or the Eduke32 teams' stuff due to the licensing, but nobody else wants to)

Yes because anyone can program a sourceport.
When making a sourceport so widespread you have the responsability of a part of the legacy of the game, and that includes gameplay accuracy of the original game, there should be no place for opinion on what part of the gameplay makes it in or not. People who want to relive 1.3 will be wronged by EDuke32.

User is offline   Fox 

It's not a matter of accuracy, but of version. In v1.1 you would briefly switch to the Mighty Boot weapon, in v1.3d you could use the Mighty Boot along with other weapons, and v1.5 fixed some bugs of v1.3d.

User is offline   MetHy 

Like I said I don't care if they are glitches. Both things (slimer & feet) have a huge impact on gameplay, and if that's how gameplay is in 1.3, that's how it is.

User is offline   Jblade 

Yes because anyone can program a sourceport.

Come on dude, you know that's not what I'm saying - It's implied when I said 'by the nature of the beast' Any potential coder could come and create a new sourceport using the existing code, it's just TerminX and company are the only guys who like Duke enough to do that. There are others but Megaton's existence has taken a large chunk of their reason to exist (ie functioning multiplayer)

When making a sourceport so widespread you have the responsability of a part of the legacy of the game, and that includes gameplay accuracy of the original game, there should be no place for opinion on what part of the gameplay makes it in or not. People who want to relive 1.3 will be wronged by EDuke32.

I really really think you're going a bit too overboard here...2 single glitches do not in any way represent a wrongdoing on TX and co's part towards V1.3D players. I never used the dual kick exploit and I never cared about kicking slimers off my face (because they're a worthless enemy in any case) I started playing Duke on the PC in V1.3D in DOS, and I played it for a long time before I got my hands on the atomic edition. I think there's attention to detail and then there's slavish recreation of old bugs/glitches.

Finally, and I know you don't mean it personally, but when you get passionate about something and argue the way you are now you're pretty much guaranteeing that they'll never add what you're asking for. Most of the Eduke guys are family men with young children and jobs, I feel pretty safe saying when they see someone coming across as aggressive (I'm not saying you're intending to be unpleasant or aggressive, I think you're just passionate about keeping the original gameplay) about an old glitch not carried over they are not gonna feel compelled to spend time adding it in for you.

EDIT: also one last thing to keep in mind...what you're asking for is doable in CON code. Maybe if you ask one of the communities' CON coders for a mutator or something they might oblige you (I don't have the time I'm afraid though) That's much more likely to occur than having those things hardcoded into the exe.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 03 October 2014 - 04:30 AM

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMetHy, on 03 October 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:

Speaking of opinions, start a poll to try and find out how many or few people even give a crap about this bug being put back in.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 October 2014 - 04:41 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There's always DOSBox.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostJblade, on 03 October 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

Come on dude, you know that's not what I'm saying - It's implied when I said 'by the nature of the beast' Any potential coder could come and create a new sourceport using the existing code, it's just TerminX and company are the only guys who like Duke enough to do that. There are others but Megaton's existence has taken a large chunk of their reason to exist (ie functioning multiplayer)

I really really think you're going a bit too overboard here...2 single glitches do not in any way represent a wrongdoing on TX and co's part towards V1.3D players. I never used the dual kick exploit and I never cared about kicking slimers off my face (because they're a worthless enemy in any case) I started playing Duke on the PC in V1.3D in DOS, and I played it for a long time before I got my hands on the atomic edition. I think there's attention to detail and then there's slavish recreation of old bugs/glitches.

Finally, and I know you don't mean it personally, but when you get passionate about something and argue the way you are now you're pretty much guaranteeing that they'll never add what you're asking for. Most of the Eduke guys are family men with young children and jobs, I feel pretty safe saying when they see someone coming across as aggressive (I'm not saying you're intending to be unpleasant or aggressive, I think you're just passionate about keeping the original gameplay) about an old glitch not carried over they are not gonna feel compelled to spend time adding it in for you.

EDIT: also one last thing to keep in mind...what you're asking for is doable in CON code. Maybe if you ask one of the communities' CON coders for a mutator or something they might oblige you (I don't have the time I'm afraid though) That's much more likely to occur than having those things hardcoded into the exe.

I don't know what any of this has to do with families and children. You're bringing this down to a personal level even though there was no need to because you are being offended that I am discussing the accuracy of EDuke32, which this thread is for.

As for the slimers, being unable to kick them and having to use a weapon in v1.3 is exactly what makes them non useless and more threatening enemies. Either it's going to take a couple of seconds to switch weapon and use the pistol against them, which means losing 10-20hp in the meantime, or using a strong weapon which in some cases might mean wasting ammo.
It can be a big deal on the long term and against many slimers. Alone it might seem not much, but coupled with other small things like being able to switch weapons faster in certain cases in EDuke32, the end result of all it becomes very different. This is why small things matter.

And for the con thing, I could probably do it myself, but that's not the point. It sounds ironical to have to use a custom con just so one can play the game like it should; and the difference between a custom con and the thing directly implemented in EDuke32 is that the majority of people wouldn't even know about the custom con.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 October 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

There's always DOSBox.

If that's your answer then EDuke32 might as well not exist. Very constructive.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 October 2014 - 04:59 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostMetHy, on 03 October 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

one can play the game like it should;

Since it was patched out by 3DRealms and not the EDuke32 team, apparently the original designers disagree with that statement. A bug is a bug even if you like the results of it.

• The Sarien Encounter

Come on, suggesting Dosbox for an authentic alternative experience (which is incredibly painless to accomplish) is a far cry from saying EDuke32 shouldn't exist. EDuke32 is the best of the best obviously and I use it all the time, but if the devs don't want to implement what they perceive as a bug rather than a missing feature there isn't much else to do.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I don't know what any of this has to do with families and children. You're bringing this down to a personal level even though there was no need to because you are being offended that I am discussing the accuracy of EDuke32, which this thread is for.

I'm not offended, what is with this forum and people jumping to bizarre conclusions? I'm not part of the dev team and I don't talk to them in anyway outside of forum posts here. I'm telling you that they do this shit in their free time, and TX and half of the team are married with kids (as far as I know) so why would they spend what precious free time they have adding in a feature recreating an old glitch for someone coming across as belligerent about it. It's probably the language gap but saying 1.3D players have been wronged by Eduke32 comes across as fairly extreme (and perhaps in turn my post came across as patronizing, which was not the intention and I'm sorry if it did) I say this as a 1.3D player myself (the very first IW was a 1.3D TC in an age where everybody else had long moved onto the atomic edition)

This post has been edited by Jblade: 03 October 2014 - 06:11 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

make utils fails to build:
In file included from build/src/util/generateicon.c:4:0:
build/include/kplib.h: In function 'kzclose':
build/include/kplib.h:40:1: error: implicit declaration of function 'MAYBE_FCLOSE_AND_NULL' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
 static inline void kzclose(void) { MAYBE_FCLOSE_AND_NULL(kzfs.fil); }
 ^
cc1.exe: some warnings being treated as errors
Failed building build/obj/generateicon.o from build/src/util/generateicon.c!
make: *** [build/obj/generateicon.o] Error 1

• el fundador

No guarantees are made that things will ever compile while flagged DONT_BUILD. It's an easy fix, though.

User is offline   Stabs 

So weirdest thing happened today, i was playing e1l1 and was enetering the cinema through the whole in the wall at the ticket booth, and iam not sure what happened, i must of hit and angle just right near the crack in the wall and it teleported me into the secret room above in SoS

I know this bug does is exist it just the first time iver ever happened in e1l1 the 18 oyears Ive been playing the official game levels

so if someone perfects this SoS glitch they could do some funny speedruns

This post has been edited by Stabs: 16 October 2014 - 02:23 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostStabs, on 16 October 2014 - 02:23 AM, said:

So weirdest thing happened today, i was playing e1l1 and was enetering the cinema through the whole in the wall at the ticket booth, and iam not sure what happened, i must of hit and angle just right near the crack in the wall and it teleported me into the secret room above in SoS

I know this bug does is exist it just the first time iver ever happened in e1l1 the 18 oyears Ive been playing the official game levels

so if someone perfects this SoS glitch they could do some funny speedruns

Lately I've been having the feeling that SoS teleporting glitches tend to happen easier than they should in EDuke32, though I can't prove it, but I often got teleported in ways I had never before.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

When speedrunning the game with llcooldave, we found out that megaton has way more clipping bugs than eduke does.
Some bugs are a lot easier to perform than they normally would be.

eduke is similar to dos duke from what I remember, same success rate with clipping.
The only main difference we found with eduke when compared to DOS was this My link

I recall TX mentioning that eduke handled player being inside a -1 sector differently, outside of play area that is. I could remember it wrong. I recall it actually being some kind of an oddity in the original code that was fixed.
This only seems to apply in to underwater clipping, elsewhere this doesn't really happen.
Anyway, you still clip inside on all versions, the difference is that which one ends up killing you as well.

Duke is very VERY buggy by nature, once you start actually running the game, you will suddenly notice how absolutely broken the game is. Megaton just made things even easier.
Btw, you can also reach the red room trough the arcade with careful timing on movement and jumping in to the spotlight that rotates, you can also make it back to the arcade easily.

User is offline   Stabs 

well i was on DukeVR, no idea which build its based off, maybe me leaning forward clipped it through the wall or something

It was just such a weird bug, i swear if had a dollar for everytime ive dicked around in e1l1....

i shall dub it "the lotto bug"

User is offline   Fox 

This is purely hypothetical, but I have been wondering if it would be a possibility to have a table for negative shade values? Aka a light table.

User is offline   MetHy 

The glitch that would make a custom episode stop at E1L7 has been fixed in r4648, however I'm getting a new issue though much more minor since it's only cosmetic (and only in a mode I don't personaly use, but I thought I'd report it anyway).
When playing in polymost, sprites that are floor aligned and on the floor seem to flicker a LOT more (it used to happen but very rarely) when the player is in movement and looking at them. For example try map Storage Wars of Duke Hard (DH07.map), and look at the floor where the player starts while moving in polymost. I just compared with an older version (r4394) and that didn't happen.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 October 2014 - 02:09 AM

• el fundador

That was actually an accidental build, I've just removed it.

User is offline   MetHy 

Damnit. I had deleted all the msgs concerning the glitch on the moddb pages of Duke Hard and posted a new one saying Duke Hard is now playable with latest EDuke32...

• The Sarien Encounter

Is it possible (or is it already possible) to add in the ability to the polymer renderer to utilize custom shaders for cool lame effects? Like a standard EGA palette? Or green ASCII characters? Or crap like that? I have this weird fascination with making things look old, particularly with an EGA palette.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options