Duke4.net Forums: Bombshell - Duke4.net Forums

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bombshell

View PostNever Forgotten, on 08 July 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

First of all, when Duke 3D came out, I was 1, turning 2. But I grew up watching my Dad play Duke 3D and Doom 2. I loved Duke 3D, my favorite level was, and always will be, L.A. Rumble, mostly for the music but I love the design of it. And it manages not to have any parodies in it.

Then why do you insist so much on Duke needing to be a parody? Can't you see that, as a requirement, it's bogging the character down?

But I blame whatever's wrong with DNF on Gearbox, and the Duke fanbase.

No, there's only one person to blame for DNF, and his name is George Broussard. It was him who decided to switch from Quake2 to Unreal just because the Quake2 engine could not render the outside area around the Hoover Dam. And then, developing on the Unreal engine got to his head. In few days, I'll upload the Text Docs section of the DNF Museum, and you'll be able to see exactly when things started going south, from reading all interviews I collected. You'll see how the approach to DNF switched from "get it done soon with existing technology" to "use DNF as a platform to try everything and the kitchen sink, chasing technology ad infinitum". I'll let you appreciate the contrast between something George said in 1997...

George Broussard, on April 27, 1997 said:

In the meantime we wanted to make a new Duke Nukem game, and our goal is to have it out in mid 1998. The obvious choice was Quake. It is production code that is stable and out.

...and what he said in 1999:

George Broussard, on April 9, 1999 said:

DNF is a test bed for the technology for us, but I see no reason not to consider it for future games. It saves you from re-inventing the wheel.

And it was George who had a perverted concept of project management that boiled down to "see what level designers are doing, tell them it's fine even when you know it's not, and when they are almost finished, tell them to scrap everything they did and restart". Of course people liked working with him! He never complained! He never stressed them out! He never gave them deadlines!

As Duke fans we begged 3D Realms to release DNF

And we were right, because 3DRealms used DNF as an excuse to test whatever was tickling George's fancy at the moment, as opposed to... you know, make a game. It was only after the last restart, when most employees got mad and left, that George started trying to finish the game. Only, by that time, the market has changed, and in order to make money, the game needed to run smoothly on consoles too, which meant that most of what was planned in the previous iterations could not be done unless the decision was taken to make the game look obsolete in exchange for non-linear levels. Unfortunately, the opposite decision was taken.
It was George who decided to go for the 2-weapon limit, because he played Halo, that had it, and he liked it! It was George who decided not to include the level editor, because the game was supposed to come out for consoles too, and consoles could not use the level editor!

All Gearbox did was release what 3DRealms was capable to come up with, attempting to keep it together the best they could. But blaming Gearbox for the condition of DNF would be like blaming whoever glued a shattered vase back together because there's glue on the vase, because the singleplayer campaign was FINISHED in late 2009, by Triptych!
No, the only thing Gearbox can be blamed for is bending over to 2K's request to remove the command console from the game. Had 3DRealms released DNF in 2009, we would have gotten exactly the same game, just with a different Duke model and maybe even without the singpleplayer DLC (if you check out the Screenshots and Videos sections of the DNF Museum, you'll see that no 2009 screenshot shows Area 51 with enemies, and no video released before December 2011 shows the Moon level).

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 08 July 2015 - 09:19 AM

View PostAltered Reality, on 08 July 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

All Gearbox did was release what 3DRealms was capable to come up with, attempting to keep it together the best they could. But blaming Gearbox for the condition of DNF would be like blaming whoever glued a shattered vase back together because there's glue on the vase, because the singleplayer campaign was FINISHED in late 2009, by Triptych!
No, the only thing Gearbox can be blamed for is bending over to 2K's request to remove the command console from the game. Had 3DRealms released DNF in 2009, we would have gotten exactly the same game, just with a different Duke model and maybe even without the singpleplayer DLC (if you check out the Screenshots and Videos sections of the DNF Museum, you'll see that no 2009 screenshot shows Area 51 with enemies, and no video released before December 2011 shows the Moon level).

Even so, Gearbox could have spent more time polishing the game up if they wanted. I'm not defending George, his pursuit of the "best" game is what delayed it. But if Gearbox had taken a bit more time with it, instead of rushing it to release, then we'd have a more polished game, granted I still love the game. A now what are they doing with it? Sitting on it, and suing the company that gave them it for making a game that they should be allowed to make. Instead we get Bombshell, which looks great, but sadly has nothing to do with the original character.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Polishing it slightly wouldn't really have saved the plot, the gameplay and the level design.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

This thread is one step away from getting split into "Bombshell" and "Stupid bickering about Duke Nukem".

View PostNever Forgotten, on 08 July 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

Even so, Gearbox could have spent more time polishing the game up if they wanted.

In order to "polish" the game, Gearbox would've had to either add everything that was not developed due to being forced to release it on consoles too (thus making it a PC-only release, a commercial suicide), or restart from scratch with an engine that runs well on consoles too, like the CryEngine. Both cases would have resulted in another delay of multiple years, and Gearbox would have become another laughingstock for failing to release DNF. Instead, Gearbox took pride in releasing the game soon and delivering exactly what 3DRealms would have releaesd.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 08 July 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

Instead we get Bombshell, which looks great, but sadly has nothing to do with the original character.

View PostTerminX, on 08 July 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

This thread is one step away from getting split into "Bombshell" and "Stupid bickering about Duke Nukem".

All right, let's talk about Bombshell instead. Let's talk about how the game is about an expy of Duke Nukem, fighting alongside an expy of General Graves and an expy of EDF against an expy of Doctor Proton and an expy of the entire Cycloid species. Let's talk about how a preview defined it "the best Duke Nukem game to date, and the best thing about it is that Duke Nukem is not in it". Who dares to make a guess why?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 08 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

• Polymancer

What other kind of bickering about DNF is there?

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

View PostTerminX, on 08 July 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

You probably should split the topic Tx its a provoking subject and could keep going. If you do can the topic name be "Arghhing Dukey Talk" ? I'm not trolling I just think that it is a good name for it. But this is a thread for Bombshellie yes she is a hottie and its derailing heheh the trains tracks turned. But in defense of everyone posting, I do know that it all started on how games should be. Rather then what it formed into later and now which is how Dukey should be.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

Bombshell release date announced?
3D Realms Twitter

"Want a kick ass gaming rig & copy of @Bombshell_Game from @XoticPC, @TEAMEVGA & @3drealms at #QuakeCon or #PAXPrime?"

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 17 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

If anyone sees 3D Realms and Bombshell at QuakeCon please tell us how the game is looking and how it is to play it. :)

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Everytime I see this thread on the front page I get excited thinking its a release date announcement. > : (

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 22 July 2015 - 10:07 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

• Polymancer

Creature designs look fun. LOL - Ion maiden!

Didn't watch a lot of the footage, but man this looks like a massive step up from Rise of the Triad.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Looks great and possibly fun to play, however the voice acting (besides Bombshell herself) leaves a lot to be desired.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 July 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

Looks great and possibly fun to play, however the voice acting (besides Bombshell herself) leaves a lot to be desired.

Agree on both points. The first soldier Bombshell talks to sounds like a field mouse/boy hybrid. No way I'm buying him as any kind of soldier.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

The game makes a nice impression overall, although I have to agree on voice acting. However is it me, or does it really have some Blizzard style overtones in design?

Quakecon Reactions:

Will people who pre-order get to play the demo before release? :)

Lots of new details at http://www.bombshell.com/

PAX Prime trailer:

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 25 August 2015 - 11:30 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

That boss battle gameplay seemed rather boring. I'm not sure if the person playing it was very good at it either since it seemed they were getting knocked down a lot and it the video kept cutting away in the gameplay...

Fall 2015 begins in four weeks, I take it that Fall 2015 release date means more like November? Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they push it back, considering the vague date that's soon approaching.

(I'm more pumped for the build FPS of course :D )

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 26 August 2015 - 10:23 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 26 August 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Fall 2015 begins in four weeks, I take it that Fall 2015 release date means more like November? Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they push it back, considering the vague date that's soon approaching.

(I'm more pumped for the build FPS of course :D )

I really hope its not in November or late October for Interceptor's sake, there is way too many AAA games in that timeframe.
Either release late September/early October, or don't release this year at all.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostHulkNukem, on 27 August 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

I really hope its not in November or late October for Interceptor's sake, there is way too many AAA games in that timeframe.
Either release late September/early October, or don't release this year at all.

If the release date is mid-November or later, I'm sure I won't be able to try Bombshell at that time...unless Fallout 4 got delayed to next year which may be unlikely. :D

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

I played Bombshell at Pax Prime in Seattle,
It was quite fun, the demo had 1 or 2 easter eggs in it,
the controls were fluid and responsive (I played with PC controls)
it seems to have a very well knit story, (from the 10 minutes or so that I played)
the graphics are better then the triple A Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris game.
The gameplay is extremely fast paced, yet you don't feel overpowered.

Proof:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 31 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

The jump from their Rise of the Triad remake to this is a big one, both in terms of art and graphics in general.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I wonder...can Interceptor even make a Build Bombshell game now that they lost the rights to Duke3D? Were the Build engine rights included with that?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 September 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

I wonder...can Interceptor even make a Build Bombshell game now that they lost the rights to Duke3D? Were the Build engine rights included with that?

It's not a problem.

Trigger warning. Becky Taylor left 3D Realms in August. They've hired a new marketing director, John Olin, who famously was let go from Turtle Rock Studios for going on a Donald Sterling tirade last year.

Share this topic:

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options