Duke4.net Forums: [Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown  "Full mod, not lite version"

User is offline   MetHy 

I don't know how much work it is to make it work with Megaton ; but if it is a lot, I agree and think you should release the EDuke32 only version first; and then update it once Megaton compatibility is done.

Your call obviously though. I like the idea of making it work with all ports btw.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 23 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

If there was an easy way to convert tilefromtexture in .art...

User is offline   Nukey 

The only reason I scoffed at that to-do list is because there's a good chance I'll be the one doing it.

User is offline   Fox 

If you are going to use Editart or similars, it would be better for me to do it.

User is offline   Nukey 

Oh no, I meant full extraction and conversion. Assuming the information is intact, It's not difficult, just time-consuming. I recall cramming some 256 colour textures into an ART file for Duke64 some years ago. If you already have the textures in a plain image format, and the tables already match PC, it would be even easier.

This is on my list, but there are at least three other projects ahead of it at the moment.

User is offline   Fox 

I have most textures ripped. It's kinda sloppy, but does the job.

It would be really usefull if you could extract everything ─ but remember the PSX sprites aren't limited to Duke 3D palette like Duke 64.

User is offline   Nukey 

As I recall Duke64 didn't really use the same palettes as PC either.

This post has been edited by Nukey: 23 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Kinda. The most important sprites (i.e. screens and weapons) are in 8-bits colors format. The rest is compressed in 4-bits, but you can easily identify they used Duke 3D palette. Though I suspect they still exist with 8-bits inside the ROM, but I can't be sure.

Edit: Well, technically it's not the "same" as PC, the colors have slightly different values.

This post has been edited by Fox: 23 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

sounds like it's on the verge of perhaps being released with not much stuff needing to be done. we all are looking forward to playing it

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Who gives a fuck if it doesn't work on Megaton, just release it on EDuke32 already.

Plus that may make some Megaton users discover EDuke32.

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

Looks like the light can finally be seen at the end of the tunnel. I'm looking forward to playing the Eduke version.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 23 July 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

Plus that may make some Megaton users discover EDuke32.

Sounds more like you are trying to force someone on using Eduke32. Anyway, since this is a relatively simply port, only a few features would be missing without Eduke, thus it's natural to release a non-Eduke version.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Excuses...

User is offline   NNC 

What are those super important features that must need a Megaton compatibility, and these months of delay? The map, art, voc, con files are there, and those are the ones that matter IMHO.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Kinda sounds like Fox wants to upload it to Workshop to get his name out there or something. Since EDuke32 already supports detecting and using a Megaton installation as game data, any mod that ships an eduke32.exe is "Megaton compatible" (if you buy Megaton Edition, it works) by definition. Any version made specifically to run under the Megaton binary is going to be inherently less authentic than the EDuke32 version as well, as it will lack the menu fonts, you can't change the episode names, etc. I'm really failing to see the logic in delaying the "real" version just to feed people on Workshop a version that isn't as good. Why not put a single level on Workshop with links to the full version, as the Duke Hard episode did?

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah that's what I thought, you can't upload mods or episodes on the workshop anyway; so anyone who wants to play this with Megaton will have to install it on his own anyway, which really most Steam/workshop users won't do since they'd rather stick to what's on the workshop only (my reasoning behind this comes form how Sex City got downloaded 5k times on the workshop, it advertises the Metropolitan Mayhem episode, and that hasn't got a huge increease in download since then) ; and if really they want to go through the "trouble" of installing the mod then they might as well install it for EDuke32 rather than Megaton since it goes beyond the scope of the workshop.

As for a map demo, I don't think this can work in this case either. I'm assuming Total Meltdown maps use new art, as well as new codes for the new pigcops; and last I checked, Megaton doesn't read art files directly from the .rar download of a workshop map; so if you upload a map with new art there, people will have to take the art out of the rar and put it in the root directory of the game; which again goes beyond the scope of the workshop.

Still, I like the idea of making it cross compatible, even if what you'll gain in playerbase doesn't seem worth the trouble, it's respectable.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

I like more compatibility. Look into the EDuke32-oldmp build too plz Fox. I'd like to play LAN games of this.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostTerminX, on 24 July 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

Kinda sounds like Fox wants to upload it to Workshop to get his name out there or something. Since EDuke32 already supports detecting and using a Megaton installation as game data, any mod that ships an eduke32.exe is "Megaton compatible" (if you buy Megaton Edition, it works) by definition. Any version made specifically to run under the Megaton binary is going to be inherently less authentic than the EDuke32 version as well, as it will lack the menu fonts, you can't change the episode names, etc. I'm really failing to see the logic in delaying the "real" version just to feed people on Workshop a version that isn't as good. Why not put a single level on Workshop with links to the full version, as the Duke Hard episode did?

I don't own Megaton myself, so I don't think I have permission to upload content.

This post has been edited by Fox: 24 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDrek, on 24 July 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

I like more compatibility. Look into the EDuke32-oldmp build too plz Fox. I'd like to play LAN games of this.

Good point, if it's Megaton compatible at least that means we don't have to wait to play it in coop! That alone make it sound worth the trouble.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDrek, on 24 July 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Look into the EDuke32-oldmp build too plz Fox.

OldMP sucks for anything but the base game. There is no guarantee:

That there will be recent enough features for it to work.

That it will work even if the CONs compile.

User is offline   Kyanos 

It runs WGR1 and other old 1.5 compatible TC's. I use it more than Megaton for multiplayer, my friends are in my house, we play LAN games.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHendricks420, on 24 July 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

OldMP sucks for anything but the base game. There is no guarantee:

That there will be recent enough features for it to work.

That it will work even if the CONs compile.

I suppose it will work with the non-Eduke version since there are only a bunch of new useractors.

i will say this. i've used Eduke32-OldMP to play a lotta mods that can run with just the GRP and or CON files. i've even used mods where you gotta put a lotta things into a folder and set the game content stuff to that folder. both of those situations. i've gotten a lot of mods and tc's i've gotten to work real well. and i'm pretty sure that the "non-EDuke" version will work on there as well since i'm sure it'll be in grp and or con files. and it would be cool to see the non-EDuke version so that players can be able to play it on Megaton as well. especially being able to Co-Op Total Meltdown on Megaton. i've played a lotta mods and such on Megaton as well. even ones that uses new art and such. when it comes to playing the TM mod on Megaton. the only real thing to deal with, is the new music. i mean, unless Fox like, provides say a folder or something so people can get the new music and add it to the music folder in the gameroot folder for Megaton

EDIT: now i will say. if the EDuke version is ready. then sweet. we can like play that and enjoy that till perhaps the Non-EDuke version comes out

This post has been edited by NukemRoses: 24 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

View PostNukemRoses, on 24 July 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

i will say this. i've used Eduke32-OldMP to play a lotta mods that can run with just the GRP and or CON files. i've even used mods where you gotta put a lotta things into a folder and set the game content stuff to that folder. both of those situations. i've gotten a lot of mods and tc's i've gotten to work real well. and i'm pretty sure that the "non-EDuke" version will work on there as well since i'm sure it'll be in grp and or con files. and it would be cool to see the non-EDuke version so that players can be able to play it on Megaton as well. especially being able to Co-Op Total Meltdown on Megaton. i've played a lotta mods and such on Megaton as well. even ones that uses new art and such. when it comes to playing the TM mod on Megaton. the only real thing to deal with, is the new music. i mean, unless Fox like, provides say a folder or something so people can get the new music and add it to the music folder in the gameroot folder for Megaton

EDIT: now i will say. if the EDuke version is ready. then sweet. we can like play that and enjoy that till perhaps the Non-EDuke version comes out

I agree with this. If the Eduke version is ready for release, then go ahead and release it to prevent further delay of it's release. After the Eduke version is released you can continue to work on the non-Eduke version and get that out later. Theres really no harm in doing so considering that the Eduke version is going to to be very popular and that a lot of people are going to be playing it with the addition of all the cool features that come with it.

This post has been edited by Mav3r1ck: 24 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

Guest_TheGameZ_*

When that thing comes out hope to see rose do a let's play

This post has been edited by TheGameZ: 24 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

Did you get your ass kicked :P

User is offline   Fox 

Yes.

Guest_TheGameZ_*

Very Nice

View PostFox, on 27 July 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

nice. i look forward to Co-Oping TM 1 day

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options