• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

AMC TC released - Merry x-mas!  "One hell of a christmas present"

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostLt.Havoc, on 04 January 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

Okay I am stuck in the Revolution level at the palace. I collected all those objects and killed all the guards, but now I dont know what to do next. There is the conference room with the forcefield I cant open and the large Metal door with the small breakable window but no idea what I have to do there.

Jump up on Vladmir or one of the other russian allies into that small window (you can also jump kick in there)

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

James, I am alone, there is no one with me when I stormed the palace (also those guys easily get stuck in places and you have to search for them). So I guess I have to walk out of the palace again to pick them up.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostLt.Havoc, on 04 January 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

James, I am alone, there is no one with me when I stormed the palace (also those guys easily get stuck in places and you have to search for them). So I guess I have to walk out of the palace again to pick them up.

You could just noclip into that room - that part needs fixing quite badly because too many people are getting stuck there. I shouldn't of shoe-horned the need to use an ally in that bit.

No problem, I just went back and got my allies into the base, didnt knew they would stand around doing nothing until you tell em otherwise. BTW: I unlocked the speical weapons for James but where can I find the other special for the other characters? Also, I did research the Battlelord Minigun and found the roit gun and yet I cant research the riot minigun?

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostJames, on 04 January 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

You could just noclip into that room - that part needs fixing quite badly because too many people are getting stuck there. I shouldn't of shoe-horned the need to use an ally in that bit.

Yeah I got stuck there and was desperate to continue so I thought I was doing something against the game design by jumping on vladimir and breaking the window, the heading to the next level without even fixing the button to the door. lol

Ahem, stuck again, now in "For Providece" (great level, anyway)...
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Headless_Horseman: 04 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostXThX2, on 04 January 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Also, how do you play Merlijn ? Seems too hand to play the megabase with him given that you gotta get close to those pigs...

He is a perfect example that you can't just use bare hard to kill a guy who have big gun! :P
I always get shoot down by those damn pigs or other monsters that has ranged attacks...I was thought he should has more range weapons in beginning but... I guess I just sucked on play him... :unsure:

(Due testing about random crashing in loading savegame on my system, I decided changed to use eduke32 r2229 debug build to start all over and play with Merljin...I was choose James, and it's not really hard when I play on skill 3, but with Merlijn, I still get his ass kicked on skill 1......oh dear......and the game looks like never crashed with that debug build, but still random crashing on release one...WTF? but I should try more...)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 06 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Merlijn seems like the type of character you play as after you've beaten the game a few times.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Yeah, being me sucks hard. :P
Anyway, I've beaten the game playing as myself on let's rock, so it is possible. Things to concider:
-you need to play in stealth mode, a good tactic is to lure an enemy around the corner, then turn him into a sliced sandwich. :unsure:
-I can still use the temporary weapons (like the sniper riffle in megabase), so use those wisely and preserve them for situations that require long-range weapons.
-I also carry a shield with me, try to keep the shield level up and it makes the game easier for you.
-The axe is pretty powerfull, it kills the pig cops in one blow. Circle strafe and chop is a effective tactic on them.

Also, I'm planning on making a map for my own character, so you better get used to playing as Merlijn mwhahaha. :P

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on 04 January 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Ahem, stuck again, now in "For Providece" (great level, anyway)...
Spoiler

Hmm, the wording is a bit confusing - have you fought either of the bosses yet?
Spoiler

EDIT: As for Merlijn's character, he's easy! :unsure: I remember playing against Sang and Highwire in a DM match as Merlijn and slaughtering them completely. I'll have to record a video playthrough or something as him!

This post has been edited by James: 05 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

User is offline   XThX2 

View PostXThX2, on 04 January 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Found many non-vital bugs on Geoffrey. Almost all weapons of him have offset issues (ie. at certain cases you can see the ends of the hands etc... So far noticed it on shotgun, machinegun while reloading, mines). I don't know if this happens on others as I've recently started playing him.Also, how do you play Merlijn ? Seems too hard to play the megabase with him given that you gotta get close to those pigs...

I think this went unnoticed.

Anyway, about Merlijn, I think you could use a "side dash" move like in Duke Plus (?). I don't remember if such a thing was in there. Would help do more chopping more :unsure:

User is offline   Jblade 

There is a rolling move, learned in the tutorial, that helps with Merlijn :unsure: I've recorded a video of me playing half-way through Megabase; it was going to be a full video but I died throwing a grenade at the Precog machine :P I'll upload it asap.

As for those bugs, are you playing on widescreen? I'll take a look about those, sorry I missed your post!

Okay I beat the game now, but I was wondering:
Spoiler
was wondering about that.

Anyway, here is my criticism so far: I really love this TC and have to say it is really well done. I love the overall setting of the game, it has a very Shadowrun feel to it (I mean the world that is). That also poses some issues. I wished for some more futuristic, Cyberpunk style weapons, but maybe that can be added in later episodes (I have some ideas regarding that.)

I personally found the first boss to be really, really hard, the second one was a pushover, the 3rd one was hard again and the last boss was okay. For the levles: Megabase plays like a map of a Duke Nukem on steroids, Disbase and Abyss are Doom, Millhaven is Blood, Snowbase is something out of Darkforces and providence plays like a mix of Blood and Action TC.

The idea of research is great and it really adds to the game, but as I mentioned, some more futuristic guns would be nice. Another thing that I found odd was that the Cultists and several other monsters do not have a alert sound, I often got a heart attack when those cultists showed up out of nowhere (I once went around a corner and suddenly was strangled by a cultist that I didnt even heard). So, for a update, at least have them shout something so you know they are there.

For future episodes, I think that it would be cool to have something related to HP Lovecraft, like a cult that worships the great old ones and so on. There is a lot of material that would fit the TC. Other ideas would be some other aliens that try to invade or something.

I yet have to test the other characters and I need to get the other research projects.

Say is it possible to play random Duke maps with this TC? I have CDs full of maps that would be cool for this TC.

Thats all for the moment.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostLt.Havoc, on 05 January 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Okay I beat the game now, but I was wondering:
Spoiler
was wondering about that.

Spoiler

Anyway, here is my criticism so far: I really love this TC and have to say it is really well done. I love the overall setting of the game, it has a very Shadowrun feel to it (I mean the world that is). That also poses some issues. I wished for some more futuristic, Cyberpunk style weapons, but maybe that can be added in later episodes (I have some ideas regarding that.)

More guns are coming, but Geoffrey and Mikko have alot of hi-tech cyberpunk weapons as it is right now :unsure:

For future episodes, I think that it would be cool to have something related to HP Lovecraft, like a cult that worships the great old ones and so on. There is a lot of material that would fit the TC. Other ideas would be some other aliens that try to invade or something.

Heh, I love Lovecraft :D I was tempted but I didn't want to ride on his coat-tails - if I DID have something from his work it would definitly NOT be Cthulhu, since even though he's one of my favourite parts of his work, sadly the internet and everything else has pretty much made a mockery of him. I already have a bunch of lovecraftian entities up my sleeve for the next few episodes anyway :P

Say is it possible to play random Duke maps with this TC? I have CDs full of maps that would be cool for this TC.

Yes - you can earn money for upgrades/weaponry by beating standard usermaps as well :P

I did the boulder thing but it appears that at some point you cant use the boulder anymore. Yes I also read the diary so I had the different conversation. So okay, next time I leave some cultists alive.

Good to know more guns are coming. I still have empty spots on the loadout screen. So, I can use any and all usermaps from Duke 3D for AMC TC? That sounds awesome.

I dont think they made a mockery out of the Chtutullu Mythos. From what I have seen, there are references here and there but nothing I would say is a mockery. The thing is that the cuthullu Mythos is rather large and aside from the Great Old ones there are also the Elder Things and several alien races, like the Mi-Go. It would be great to fight the Mi-Go (they do worship Nyralhotep and are hunted by the Yellow sing and Hastur). so there is a lot of room in there without even mentioning Cuthullu directly.

I would say, go for it, I dont think people will mind, not everyone is familiar with the whole thing anyway.

User is offline   Jblade 

True, but in my mind too many people know Cthulhu and don't take it seriously as a threat at all, even to hear his name mentioned would make them think of dumb jokes instead of the cosmic horror he's supposed to be.

If anything it would be more things like the Yellow Sign yeah, although to try and recreate 'at the mountains of madness' would be my best bet :unsure:

I still have empty spots on the loadout screen

Have you visited the arms dealer yet? There's also some bonus weapons scattered around the latter maps; there's also an advert with a smart barcode you can scan with the PDU in the AMC base to unlock a new weapon to buy for Mikko :P

Anyways, here's a video of my playthrough of some of megabase with Merlijn:

sadly I died due to my own stupidity, but you can see how to do it :P

User is offline   XThX2 

View PostJames, on 05 January 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

There is a rolling move, learned in the tutorial, that helps with Merlijn :unsure: I've recorded a video of me playing half-way through Megabase; it was going to be a full video but I died throwing a grenade at the Precog machine :P I'll upload it asap.As for those bugs, are you playing on widescreen? I'll take a look about those, sorry I missed your post!

Oh yeah I forgot to post my resolution. 1280x1024 - 32bpp Fullscreen and I used polymost. I don't think it has to do with it being polymost but... (I noticed this doesn't happen with Rusty's weapons, for example, so it has to be an offset issue)

BTW: should I post suggestions for weapons and stuff in here or make a separate thread? Just asking because not everyone likes to go through threads to find help and find suggestion with images posted in it.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostLt.Havoc, on 05 January 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

BTW: should I post suggestions for weapons and stuff in here or make a separate thread? Just asking because not everyone likes to go through threads to find help and find suggestion with images posted in it.

You can make a seperate thread here, I'm sure they won't mind - maybe make it a general suggestions thread so other people can put in their ideas as well :unsure:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Lovecraft kicks all kinds of ass. Speaking of the references and such though, I really loved all the Phantasm stuff! That's one of the most underrated series of all time.

User is offline   thatguy 

Being a Lovecraft obsessor, Cthulhu is but only a small part of HP's works. It shouldn't be seen as 'Hey he makes dark scary stories', but 'He understands the complete fragility of the human psyche and uses that to pose a claustrophobic, and ideological path to madness for the reader'. Its all about the atmosphere, the actions taken during the course of the story, the inevitable 'learning' of something that should not be learned, and so on.

Anyways, I'D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU COULD DO FOR A LOVECRAFT THEME. :unsure:

Edit: What Capt Awesome said! That part really shocked me! I was like.....this place is starting to look familiar.....oh hey two metal rods in a bright right room *giggle*....OH HELL NO!

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 05 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

heh, talk to me about themes of humanity's fragility and insignificance in the cosmos at large :unsure: Don't worry, that theme is one I understand the most out of his work.

User is offline   Sebastian 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 05 January 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

Anyways, I'D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU COULD DO FOR A LOVECRAFT THEME. :unsure:

Before Jekyll entered the scene, my original plans for Millhaven was for the cultists to try and awaken an old one in the waters beneath the church. I also had a considerate amount of Octabrains in the map before then.

Some of you might remember this video I made in 2008.

(not sure if the link works!)

BTW: I created an Ideas and suggestion thread for this mod, you can find it here: http://forums.duke4....nd-suggestions/

Okay, I think I encountered a bug: was playing the Classic collection with Goffery and was on the moon spaceport map. Was in the reactor area and fired a grenade against the glass and it killed me and well, the game froze and then crashed right after I was blown to bits. No idea whats up with that.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Do you have a log or anything?

Sadly no, I restarted the game and went through the area without any more problems. The log does not seem to show the moon level anymore. I will try to replicate this crash and will post the log then.

Well, finally I've finished it too ! I tried to save the Witch and see the "good enging", but after finishing all the firearms I blowed up she and the demon with explosives, so...

However, some final thoughts :

1) Overall, a fantastic work, a bunch of over-the-top maps (I loved Dis Base, The Abyss, Milhaven and For Providence, but the others are great too) and prolly the best Duke Mod ever.

2) The Megabase was nice, but I felt it a bit "uncrowded" for an Dukeish map, I was expecting more aliens to blast in pieces :unsure:

3) The Snow Base is another nice map in the classic, clean Mikko stile, but I felt it a bit "short", especially after playing Milhaven. And I really wonder how I could beat that robot-like soldiers : I ended up fleeing from them everytime. However, the Mech was a great addition !

4) There's a bit too much stuff available and I was somewhat confused about all these weapons and items, but I guess it will be better when I'll replay. However, the necromantical weapons you're given in The Abyss are a bit underpowered, especially that buggish thing : it was a nightmare to survive against that ghost-like monsters with that.

5) I got stuck three times, partly due to me overlooking things (the blue plug in Milhaven, the fact that I had to pass on each part of the pentagram in Dis Base to unlock the portal), partly due to some strange bugs (the first time I got in the final elevator in For Providence with Johnny, nothing happened, dunno why. And the first time I tried to use the Research panel, I couldn't click on the "develop project"). By the way, I loved the mix of exploration and combat of the two "horror" maps !

6) A final question, will we ever see FbSp003 from Fakir ? It's that "Space City" that was mentioned in the other topic ?

User is offline   Merlijn 

I believe FBSP003 was transformed to fit into the Megabase map. That huge outdoor area used to be FBSP003, if I remember it correctly.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMerlijn, on 07 January 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

I believe FBSP003 was transformed to fit into the Megabase map. That huge outdoor area used to be FBSP003, if I remember it correctly.

As Merlijn said, yes :P

3) The Snow Base is another nice map in the classic, clean Mikko stile, but I felt it a bit "short", especially after playing Milhaven. And I really wonder how I could beat that robot-like soldiers : I ended up fleeing from them everytime. However, the Mech was a great addition !

They're armoured enemies; Mikko's AR has an alt-fire which fires armour piercing ammunition (His pistol also shoots armour piercing ammo)

4) There's a bit too much stuff available and I was somewhat confused about all these weapons and items, but I guess it will be better when I'll replay. However, the necromantical weapons you're given in The Abyss are a bit underpowered, especially that buggish thing : it was a nightmare to survive against that ghost-like monsters with that.

I have increased the Fleshsquirter's power, I'll take a look at the other ones :unsure:

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options