Duke4.net Forums: Field of View 110 degrees, eduke32. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Field of View 110 degrees, eduke32.

Hello Team, I'm running the latest eDuke32 and am wondering how I can increase my FOV from the bog standard 90, to 110, as I play all my other games on 110. I'd like it to be permanent as well, if possible.

So far I have set the aspect ratio to 'wide', but I feel it's not quite what I'm after.

CON scripting enables to change both the aspect ratio and FOV using the setaspect command, although this may turn out buggy a bit (Duke has a bigger FOV when shrunk, so this would be overridden when using setaspect).

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 26 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

I was under the impression that it was doable with eDuke itself? It says so on the eduke page that it has the ability to set FOV... I was hoping to avoid the likes of CON scripting.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Make sure you're running Polymer and use the r_pr_fov command. Its input is in build angles, so 512 corresponds to 90 degrees. 625 should be close enough to 110 degrees.

View Posttrencheel303, on Jan 26 2010, 11:46 PM, said:

I was under the impression that it was doable with eDuke itself? It says so on the eduke page that it has the ability to set FOV... I was hoping to avoid the likes of CON scripting.

Oh, I understood... that's a feature of the Polymer renderer, so try it (it has an 'auto' option instead of 'wide' ratio); but I dunno whether it allows to 'zoom' the screen (changing the vertical FOV as well) or it's just an extended widescreen support.

View PostPlagman, on Jan 27 2010, 12:03 AM, said:

Make sure you're running Polymer and use the r_pr_fov command. Its input is in build angles, so 512 corresponds to 90 degrees. 625 should be close enough to 110 degrees.

Perhaps that's quite the thing... ;) unfortunately, Polymer-only.

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 26 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

Unfortunately my computer is too weak to run polymer. The wide aspect ratio gives you a bit extra vertically as well I think. It's no biggy I'll just stick with this. Thanks.

User is offline   SFJake 

Is there really any difference in performance with or without polymer if you disable lighting? I know all those fancy light effects are extremely CPU intensive, but if I disable that, its exactly the same. Command is "r_pr_lighting 0" to disable lighting in polymer, I think, if you never tried that. If poylmer just makes you lag naturally then nevermind.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostSFJake, on Jan 27 2010, 12:47 PM, said:

Is there really any difference in performance with or without polymer if you disable lighting? I know all those fancy light effects are extremely CPU intensive, but if I disable that, its exactly the same. Command is "r_pr_lighting 0" to disable lighting in polymer, I think, if you never tried that. If Polymer just makes you lag naturally then nevermind.

Maybe he thinks that as soon as someone says "Polymer", that he automatically thinks of Models, textures, Fancy lighting...
All of that can be disable and still be running in Polymer. I have noticed no difference with that compared to Polymost.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Polymer is completely different from Polymost in just about every way. Turning off lights just gives you Polymer without lights, not anything to be compared with Polymost. Polymer does get pretty slow on older or slower hardware... the lowest spec video card you're going to want to run it on would probably be a GeForce 6800/7600/8400 or higher.

View PostSFJake, on Jan 26 2010, 04:47 PM, said:

Is there really any difference in performance with or without polymer if you disable lighting? I know all those fancy light effects are extremely CPU intensive, but if I disable that, its exactly the same. Command is "r_pr_lighting 0" to disable lighting in polymer, I think, if you never tried that. If poylmer just makes you lag naturally then nevermind.

I think polymer lighting is disabled by default anyway on my machine as it is weaker than a starved child, considering it's a netbook. (I know, I know, stop laughing...) When I enabled Polymer it just looked like Polymost, no fancy lighting. I don't play with hires textures, except for the skyboxes - everything else I deleted out the hires folder.

Yep, just as I thought, the Polymer renderer is automatically disabled as the game starts up - it says so in the console.

User is offline   SBG 

View PostTX, on Jan 27 2010, 03:21 AM, said:

Polymer is completely different from Polymost in just about every way. Turning off lights just gives you Polymer without lights, not anything to be compared with Polymost. Polymer does get pretty slow on older or slower hardware... the lowest spec video card you're going to want to run it on would probably be a GeForce 6800/7600/8400 or higher.

I'm running on 8400 GS with no problems.

Does anyone have any pointers on where I can start with this CON scripting to achieve the result I am after?

It's just that I am so used to running Quake 3 and DooM at 110 degrees that I can actually no longer play Duke Nukem, it feels slow and 'zoomed in'.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Unfortunately, due to how totally ingrained the surface removal algorithm is to how Polymost works in terms of tessellating the currently viewable area of the map into something OpenGL can render, there is no way to increase the FOV, via scripting or otherwise. It's pretty much limited to drawing exactly as much of the scene as the classic 8-bit renderer drew with no obvious or simple method of altering its behavior.

You'll have to use Polymer for that, unless your hardware flat out can't run it, in which case you're pretty much screwed. Is your video hardware really older/less powerful than a GeForce 6600 or 6800?

it's a netbook lol.

User is offline   Mia Max 

I've set r_pr_fov 256, so it should have a fov of 45°, right?
I like to play in that mode, because it is easier to dodge shots.
Does a less fov improve performance too?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options