Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Who ever said you can't make hills? Since when wasn't that possible? It's just not horribly practical usually since you can't get every angle without doing weiiird things and even then there's a few basically impossible rotations.

But it's still fun.

Posted Image

I think i managed to finish my first map so i only need to put in monsters and a few more things. Then i fucked up by overwriting it >.> I think i wasted about 5 hours of work... ugh

This post has been edited by Jhect: 12 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostMblackwell, on Mar 12 2011, 03:23 PM, said:

Who ever said you can't make hills? Since when wasn't that possible? It's just not horribly practical usually since you can't get every angle without doing weiiird things and even then there's a few basically impossible rotations.

But it's still fun.

Posted Image

I want to play that whatever it is!!

About the slopes, iĀ“ve designed my own method once, then saw it applied in other mods. So i think itĀ“s pretty easy to understand.

Suppose you have a hill, with three different slopes... bah itĀ“s a pain in the ass to explain.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

A problem with making hills in the BUILD engine is that every sector has at least two wall-points whose floor z coordinates are the same, so you can't just generate a point set and have it covered with triangles. So, the natural approach to me seems to manually create lines of equal height (like in a topographic map) and connect them with triangle strips. I've made a Mapster-script function that is intended to take away the chore of setting the firstwalls and slopes by hand, but you'll still have to set the heights. Also, it's probably not very usable beyond the first strip, but anyway, here's an illustrated tutorial:

1. Create isolines and connect them with triangle strips. Then, select the points of one loop at a time with RCtrl-RShift.
Posted Image

2. The lines between the selected points are those to be the first walls. Now, place the mouse pointer in the sector having the target height for the third points. Enter "do state mkterrain" in the console.
Posted Image

3. This is how it should look like after the first operation. Sometimes, you need to enter the command twice (I have no idea why).
Posted Image

4. Now repeat the procedure with the opposite bunch of points. Since the target z coordinate is that of the outside, place the mouse pointer there.
Posted Image

5. Ctrl-Shift...
Posted Image

6. The final result...
Posted Image

edit: steps 4 and 5 are reversed...

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostGambini, on Mar 13 2011, 12:48 PM, said:

I want to play that whatever it is!!

About the slopes, iĀ“ve designed my own method once, then saw it applied in other mods. So i think itĀ“s pretty easy to understand.

Suppose you have a hill, with three different slopes... bah itĀ“s a pain in the ass to explain.

WasnĀ“t that hill placed in the SST 2 TC tech demo?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I've always hated Build and Mapster's sloping with the entirety of my heart.

WasnĀ“t that hill placed in the SST 2 TC tech demo?

Where i can download that?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

http://mb.mirage.org...y-11-04-001.zip

Thank you

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I have a new/less buggy version sitting on my HDD. I was holding off for sound effects but maybe I should just release it.

Finishing the latestestest details of my It Lives map. Gonna release it tomorrow, after receiving the last reports.

User is offline   Wolf 

I guess I'll post something small I'm working on right now. I'm not sure where I want my main mod to go. Initially it was going to be sci-fi based.. But now it's turning into some generic CoD/CS clone, bah.

So until I figure that out, I was going to make a Duke-TC that revolves around Duke. So I'm starting first by trying to compile assets from the console ports of Duke3D. Well, the things that are different, at least. Here's what I've got from Total Meltdown.
Posted Image

The ones with the pink masking color are original Duke3D tiles and the ones with the transparent backgrounds are Total Meltdown tiles. And those are just the ones I bothered to put in place. I've got only 25% of the player tiles set in, and I have at least 86% of the the Pigcop Zombie tiles, though I don't know what order they go in yet. Also, that's assuming the pigcop zombie only has the amount of tiles that the regular pigcop does, which seems to be true since their code seems to be almost a direct copy and paste.

This post has been edited by Wolf: 20 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostWolf, on Mar 21 2011, 01:52 PM, said:

I guess I'll post something small I'm working on right now. I'm not sure where I want my main mod to go. Initially it was going to be sci-fi based.. But now it's turning into some generic CoD/CS clone, bah.

So until I figure that out, I was going to make a Duke-TC that revolves around Duke. So I'm starting first by trying to compile assets from the console ports of Duke3D. Well, the things that are different, at least. Here's what I've got from Total Meltdown.
Posted Image

The ones with the pink masking color are original Duke3D tiles and the ones with the transparent backgrounds are Total Meltdown tiles. And those are just the ones I bothered to put in place. I've got only 25% of the player tiles set in, and I have at least 86% of the the Pigcop Zombie tiles, though I don't know what order they go in yet. Also, that's assuming the pigcop zombie only has the amount of tiles that the regular pigcop does, which seems to be true since their code seems to be almost a direct copy and paste.

I think Nfelli ripped some sprites so you might want to talk to him

My mod calls for a tank vehicle at some point, so I'm working on that now. I know it's been done in AWOL, but I don't know for sure if that code was meant to be used (with credit) for other projects or not and since its single-player only I thought I could make it work much more simply, so I'm redoing it anyway. Besides it's good practice.

I don't have anything that feels like riding around in a tank, but the dummy sprite is working (to set the player's coordinates to while in the tank) so right now I have my own little 6-speed RC-Car running around a test map.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 21 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

User is offline   CruX 

View Postwayskobfssae, on Mar 21 2011, 12:57 AM, said:

My mod calls for a tank vehicle at some point, so I'm working on that now. I know it's been done in AWOL, but I don't know for sure if that code was meant to be used (with credit) for other projects or not and since its single-player only I thought I could make it work much more simply, so I'm redoing it anyway. Besides it's good practice.

I don't have anything that feels like riding around in a tank, but the dummy sprite is working (to set the player's coordinates to while in the tank) so right now I have my own little 6-speed RC-Car running around a test map.

Just look at it, learn from it, and write code based on it if you're unsure. Old as it is, AWOL's a pretty good mod to learn how to code things from scratch. If I have to code an enemy, I usually use the marines in that mod to build a basic pathfinding base, then go from there.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

You can also take a look at Duke Nukem Army as that has a drivable tank, helicopter and jet plane.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Also Lord Misfit has a drivable pigcop tank in his mod.

There are really several ways it can be done, one of them is the cheap way of setting the APLAYER's ACTION to that of the vehicle. (This is what I did for the poorly coded Duke Theft Auto)
Or the method that you are trying to do now, have the sprite follow the same position as the player and make the player but not the vehicle invisible using EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES.

Finished my map IT LIVES. In case it goes unnoticed, hereĀ“s the thread:

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showtopi...amp;#entry78552

View PostDeeperThought, on Mar 22 2011, 12:48 PM, said:

Also Lord Misfit has a drivable pigcop tank in his mod.

Yes, and he's also sorry there's been a lack of work on his mod too lately. o.o;

Eventually, with my new laptop, I'll have a lot more freedom in terms of what kind of maps I could build and how well NR runs [being that I've had it called the unofficial coding benchmark by various developers (not my words, trust me)], and I can now finally use Polymer too! X)

Anyways, I too use a type of dummy sprite to track the player's coordinates in NR for vehicles, and I think I use actions to show the player as a Tank when in use, also setting their pals depending on the type of tank being driven. There is the issue on occasion when I get out of a tank, the actual tank actor is sometimes spawned at the top of the sector I'm in and falls down on the ground from above, look really out of place. Will have to eventually look into that. >.>;

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I got annoyed about having to do so many physics questions for homework so I made this 16 second video using eduke: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BZ8u3cMX7cU

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostMicky C, on Mar 27 2011, 06:30 AM, said:

I got annoyed about having to do so many physics questions for homework so I made this 16 second video using eduke: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BZ8u3cMX7cU

That was cool. You can tell your teacher "Er, well Duke blew up my homework!"

I just did one on how Duke would feel about another DNF delay.
BTW, love the BB code for Youtube

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 28 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostVinsaneOne, on Mar 28 2011, 01:44 AM, said:

That was cool. You can tell your teacher "Er, well Duke blew up my homework!"

I just did one on how Duke would feel about another DNF delay.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i53D-2gqbio

thats a semi impressive voice over there

User is online   Lunick 

Nice one, Vinsaneone ;)

I am gonna upload some of the music that i use in my mod. I use music from other games and edit it just a little bit, so that it replays the way i want it. Also edit some of it with bass boost and some more.

K, it's up.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 28 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Postduke4everman, on 28 March 2011 - 01:43 AM, said:

thats a semi impressive voice over there

Thanks, it was a second take quickie.

View PostLunick, on 28 March 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

Nice one, Vinsaneone ;)

Thank you!

View PostJhect, on 28 March 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

I am gonna upload some of the music that i use in my mod. I use music from other games and edit it just a little bit, so that it replays the way i want it. Also edit some of it with bass boost and some more.

K, it's up.

Don't think it needed any bass boost. It's a speaker buster!

Tank HUD & cannon shot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 29 March 2011 - 06:41 AM

@wayskobfssae

That looks pretty damn cool, keep it up. ;)

User is offline   zykov eddy 

View Postwayskobfssae, on 29 March 2011 - 06:37 AM, said:

Tank HUD & cannon shot.

That stuff reminds me of classic game Battlezone. looks nice.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 29 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

User is offline   Sebastian 

@wayskobfssae: Looks awesome!

Been fooling around with ideas for a new map.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options