Duke4.net Forums: DNF Modding Discoveries - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Modding Discoveries  "Posting my findings on DNF"

gemeaux333, on 30 November 2020 - 12:17 PM, said:

it happen most frequently when using the RPG as current weapon, although its not systematic...

When it comes to the RPG, i think completely removing the target locking isn't a good idea, using partial lock (yellow crossair) would be a better move as even Lo Wang use heat seeker rockets with his rocket launcher...

I wanted to make both rpg and enforcer gun be more distinct from one another and have a more clear function for each, while also avoiding potential redundancies (the fact both are homing weapons specifically)
Thus I made the RPG behave more like the DN3D counterpart while buffing the homing capabilities of the enf. gun so both have different purposes.
I have no clue wtf SW97 has to do with this and it wouldn't help at all with dnf's weapon balancing.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

the problem is enforcer gun arrive much later than RPG, and the homing ability of the RPG isn't a luxury when it comes to fighting gunships, battlelord and alien queen where you need to move fast to avoid attacks

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 01 December 2020 - 08:23 AM

gemeaux333, on 01 December 2020 - 08:21 AM, said:

the problem is enforcer gun arrive much later than RPG, and the homing ability of the RPG isn't a luxury when it comes to fighting gunships, battlelord and alien queen where you need to move fast to avoid attacks

but the rpg projectile speed was buffed to make it more like 3d, I'm fully aware of that. I think RPG is fast enough already.

Enforcer Gun arrives at the halfway point of the game btw.

I commented this previously on the discord server, so here comes the bad news (again)
I have to make an announcement, a crappy one, regarding DNFO: unfortunately it won't be released this month of december.
However it's approaching closed beta status very soon and I think an actual release of ver 1.00 of the mod could very well happen in january.

My apologies for the delay. I was considering a public beta release to make up for it but I decided against it: I think I'd rather be safe than sorry.

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 31 December 2020 - 05:26 AM

User is offline   stumppy84 

Awesome! Can’t wait to play!

Sorry for the delay, I'm working still towards a closed beta release and things are starting to wrap up on that end.
I can confirm right now the levels that will be cut from the main campaign : Damn it's late, Lady Killer 1 (also worth noting the shrunk half of lady killer 2 has been cut), Titty City, Highway Battle 1 and 2. (worth also pointing out that the entire gascan quest from mighty foot 2 was cut as well, so there's only one gascan you have to pick up during the desert section, the one at the ghost town)
Shrunk Machine 1 is still a possible candidate to be cut.

As for dlc, the levels that are being cut are Burning Bush and Meat Grinder (with the result being that the Proton fight level starts with you directly at the entrance, thus bypassing Dylan's bullshit)
Potential candidates are the teleportation spire and moon levels as well.

All these cuts were primarly done due to pacing and removing garbo gameplay sections that are pretty much unfixable without severely reworking them. (Lady Killer 1 had that classic elevator brake section that I'm sure many of you cherish as one of DNF's best parts).

One unfortunate thing I'll have to add though is that it's very likely 2009 Duke won't make the cut for the initial DNFO release. I was hoping to replace Douche with him but it'll have to wait.
Coop was being looked into and I was able to get some levels functional but the AI doesn't really work right and there's weird glitches, so it isn't happening for at least the initial release.

Stay tuned guys! Shit's about to get good.

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 03 February 2021 - 09:14 AM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Futuretime23, on 03 February 2021 - 09:13 AM, said:

Sorry for the delay, I'm working still towards a closed beta release and things are starting to wrap up on that end.
I can confirm right now the levels that will be cut from the main campaign : Damn it's late, Lady Killer 1 (also worth noting the shrunk half of lady killer 2 has been cut), Titty City, Highway Battle 1 and 2. (worth also pointing out that the entire gascan quest from mighty foot 2 was cut as well, so there's only one gascan you have to pick up during the desert section, the one at the ghost town)
Shrunk Machine 1 is still a possible candidate to be cut.

As for dlc, the levels that are being cut are Burning Bush and Meat Grinder (with the result being that the Proton fight level starts with you directly at the entrance, thus bypassing Dylan's bullshit)
Potential candidates are the teleportation spire and moon levels as well.

All these cuts were primarly done due to pacing and removing garbo gameplay sections that are pretty much unfixable without severely reworking them. (Lady Killer 1 had that classic elevator brake section that I'm sure many of you cherish as one of DNF's best parts).

One unfortunate thing I'll have to add though is that it's very likely 2009 Duke won't make the cut for the initial DNFO release. I was hoping to replace Douche with him but it'll have to wait.
Coop was being looked into and I was able to get some levels functional but the AI doesn't really work right and there's weird glitches, so it isn't happening for at least the initial release.

Stay tuned guys! Shit's about to get good.
Youre doing important work, praise be!

Looking forward to the release/beta.

Sorry, there was a bit of a delay to the closed beta release...but it's for once related to good news also related to dnf.
Something that I thought was impossible suddenly became potentially possible.
That's all I'll comment on.

Time to reveal the surprise:
https://imgur.com/a/ZhPetog

Spoiler

Download link is here, along with instructions: https://mega.nz/file...rPBed60ZE1XRG2w

Warning, the mesh swap isn't free of bugs, and here's a list of the currently documented issues:
1) Hair alpha transparencies don't work, this is because I'm swapping default texture to get duke's hair in and that doesn't support alpha transparencies. A very ghettolike way of hacking duke's hair, unfortunately necessary as otherwise no hair texture loads in for him.
2) His eyes and teeth have the hair texture in as they are not texture mapped by default - this is likely because 2009 duke, much like the 09 edf troopers drew from a pool of generic separate teeth and eye textures. This was likely changed for performance reasons if I had to guess.
3) His left leg bends a bit weirdly in certain animations, this is due to leftlegroll (a bone exclusive to 09 duke) weights not properly mapping to leftleg, so they had to be mapped to leftfoot to work.
4) Lefthandindex2 had to be mapped to lefthandindex3 to get it to work right, so you might notice the finger bending a bit different than what 2009 duke's left index finger did.
5) No changes were done to multiplayer duke's textures meaning his textures are currently a jumbled mess. To be fixed later.
6) Glove diff is an original design based off the 09 glove norm and spec - this will be replaced with an accurate recreation in the future.
7) Dismemberment and gibbing works fine, but the stuff that gets spawned is static meshes from retarget. There's no static mesh equivalent for 2009 which means you get jumbled messes of gibs atm. To be fixed later in the future.

I haven't done a full run of DNF's campaign or DLC so I can't comment if there's any other issues.

Have fun guys!

User is offline   jkas789 

There are no words in the english and spanish language to express the amount of joy that has revitalized my cold dark and salty heart.

Cheers!! Gonna have to play this over the Weekend!

I had some time tonight to try this but sadly I wasn’t successful at getting this going. I followed the readme.
I applied the patches and it said that they were applied but the patched and the original .dat file is the exact same size?

When running Texmod and the everything seems ok and it starts fine but dukes skin is all messed up like it says in the readme.

stumppy84, on 18 February 2021 - 07:19 PM, said:

I had some time tonight to try this but sadly I wasn’t successful at getting this going. I followed the readme.
I applied the patches and it said that they were applied but the patched and the original .dat file is the exact same size?

When running Texmod and the everything seems ok and it starts fine but dukes skin is all messed up like it says in the readme.

the dats are gonna be the same size after patching, how is duke's skin messed up exactly? can you post a screenshot? might be that texmod's not working.
If texmod's not working, try this guide: https://www.tombraid...ad.php?t=218243

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 18 February 2021 - 08:18 PM

His face texture was on his gloves or hands. If I were to guess it was the douche Nukem texture.

yeah texmod's not working - the model patches applied fine.
try that guide above and it should make texmod work.

Ok thanks

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I'm not 100% what to do here as the readme is not really clear.

What goes in "Patch" and "Source File" and "Output File" in xdeltaUI?

xMobilemux, on 18 February 2021 - 10:03 PM, said:

I'm not 100% what to do here as the readme is not really clear.

What goes in "Patch" and "Source File" and "Output File" in xdeltaUI?

Patch is where you select the respective patch file (skelmeshespatch if you are gonna patch meshes.dat, staticmeshespatch if you are gonna patch staticmeshes.dat)
Source File is where you select the file you are going to patch.
Output file is where you place the destination for the patched/modded result

Futuretime23, on 18 February 2021 - 10:18 PM, said:

Patch is where you select the respective patch file (skelmeshespatch if you are gonna patch meshes.dat, staticmeshespatch if you are gonna patch staticmeshes.dat)
Source File is where you select the file you are going to patch.
Output file is where you place the destination for the patched/modded result

Doesn't work.
What am I doing wrong?
Posted Image

xMobilemux, on 18 February 2021 - 10:28 PM, said:

Doesn't work.
What am I doing wrong?
Posted Image

Are you placing the output file in the exact same place as the source file with the exact same name?
that might be causing the issue.

Never mind I figured it out.

Awesome job on this mod, can't wait to see more!

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Futuretime23, on 18 February 2021 - 01:34 AM, said:

Time to reveal the surprise:
https://imgur.com/a/ZhPetog

This is now my favorite DNF mod.

Got it to work with those instructions. Anyways pretty fun so far. I just beat the first battle lord. It’s been 2 years since I played DNF, so I’m not 100% what’s changed. It does seem like Duke is faster and that there are more eniemies on screen for sure. I’m having a little problem switching weapons with the mouse wheel and it seems like switching to the previous weapon(was the q key?) is non existent.

stumppy84, on 19 February 2021 - 09:27 PM, said:

Got it to work with those instructions. Anyways pretty fun so far. I just beat the first battle lord. It’s been 2 years since I played DNF, so I’m not 100% what’s changed. It does seem like Duke is faster and that there are more eniemies on screen for sure. I’m having a little problem switching weapons with the mouse wheel and it seems like switching to the previous weapon(was the q key?) is non existent.

no enemies were added if you are using the 0.4 gameplay mod.
If you are using that, you can't switch weapons with mousewheel, you have to use a specific user.ini and then use the number keys to select each gun.

So all the above is just to replace the Duke model?

stumppy84, on 20 February 2021 - 03:30 PM, said:

So all the above is just to replace the Duke model?

yeah, that mod I released only does that, replace Douche NotCum with Duke Nukem.

Can I add this mod along with the gameplay mod? Are you still working on the gameplay mod or is that finished.

stumppy84, on 20 February 2021 - 08:19 PM, said:

Can I add this mod along with the gameplay mod? Are you still working on the gameplay mod or is that finished.

the overhaul mod isn't finished, and yes you can play DNF with the classic mod.

Ok, cool. I’ll wait for that mod.

This may be cause for another play through, this is something I’ve wanted since launch. Can’t wait for your overhaul mod!

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options