Duke4.net Forums: DNF Modding Discoveries - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Modding Discoveries  "Posting my findings on DNF"

#241

Very nice Duke remodel. But I don't think this Duke will fit in his DNF persona. Can't see the more serious Duke tolerating the holsom twins for more than 2 seconds, but I know you're planning on removing them for your mod later =). Bringing him to multiplayer would be awesome.
0

#242

View PostRedxplatinum, on 02 March 2021 - 06:25 PM, said:

Very nice Duke remodel. But I don't think this Duke will fit in his DNF persona. Can't see the more serious Duke tolerating the holsom twins for more than 2 seconds, but I know you're planning on removing them for your mod later =). Bringing him to multiplayer would be awesome.

oh it definitely doesn't fit that persona, but that's gonna get changed, I mean after all, one of the selling points of the mod is that you can actually play as Duke Nukem and not Douche NotCum, in look, gameplay and personality.
btw the model is currently in MP, it's just lacking the proper textures but that will be fixed.
0

User is offline   ReiKaz 

#243

Hello! You have idea, how change audio duration for "Sounds.dat" files? My first try is to change main menu music, but it plays original duration of "Menu_Ambience" mp3 file. Somewhere should be values for duration, somewhere in "SoundDir.dat" or "Sound.dat" ?!

Original "Menu_Ambience.mp3" file duration:
001.945.728 samples / 44.121 seconds

EDIT:
Sfx's bugs all around.. moddified 2 files, keeping original duration. This is cause of offset changed, or also need some custom hex edits in audio file itself?!

This post has been edited by ReiKaz: 13 March 2021 - 05:35 AM

0

#244

View PostReiKaz, on 13 March 2021 - 04:38 AM, said:

Hello! You have idea, how change audio duration for "Sounds.dat" files? My first try is to change main menu music, but it plays original duration of "Menu_Ambience" mp3 file. Somewhere should be values for duration, somewhere in "SoundDir.dat" or "Sound.dat" ?!

Original "Menu_Ambience.mp3" file duration:
001.945.728 samples / 44.121 seconds

EDIT:
Sfx's bugs all around.. moddified 2 files, keeping original duration. This is cause of offset changed, or also need some custom hex edits in audio file itself?!

hmm, you sure the size is the same or lower as the original file? What I do with dnf's sounds so the dat file isn't so bloated is to directly insert the modified mp3 via hex editor and making sure it's the same size as the original or smaller (if it's smaller, I pad out the remaining bytes of the mp3 files I'm replacing with 00)
If your new mp3 file is smaller then I haven't got an idea what could control duration barring something sounddir or potentially one of the dfx audio files.

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 13 March 2021 - 03:48 PM

0

User is offline   ReiKaz 

#245

View PostFuturetime23, on 13 March 2021 - 03:39 PM, said:

hmm, you sure the size is the same or lower as the original file? What I do with dnf's sounds so the dat file isn't so bloated is to directly insert the modified mp3 via hex editor and making sure it's the same size as the original or smaller (if it's smaller, I pad out the remaining bytes of the mp3 files I'm replacing with 00)
If your new mp3 file is smaller then I haven't got an idea what could control duration barring something sounddir or potentially one of the dfx audio files.


Got it! Thank you! I'll make sure to keep in check same size in bytes / same audio files offsets in pack.
1

#246

Yo man, Happy 10th Anniversary for DNF. Hope all is well.

Just leaving a msg for the anniversary also I've been seeing a lot of people modding DNF lately, mostly for MP though. Some Russian guy managed to change his version of the game without having to make us change ours to play his modded game. He brought out the nuke and set damages on the guns and stuff, so I thought it was neat. He also managed to change the Enforcer projectile pattern which makes it hard to dance around it.

This post has been edited by Redxplatinum: 10 June 2021 - 10:43 AM

1

#247

GAH, a day later than I'd liked, but happy 10th anniversary DNF...
DNFO is entering closed beta status today and I'll be sending files to a select few testers (already been picked)
3

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

#248

 Futuretime23, on 15 June 2021 - 04:01 AM, said:

GAH, a day later than I'd liked, but happy 10th anniversary DNF...
DNFO is entering closed beta status today and I'll be sending files to a select few testers (already been picked)



Hey Futurtime! That's awesome progress on the mod! Can we expect new duke talk in the beta? What about weapon sounds, ego obtained when killing, night-time vegas, etc?

Thanks!
0

#249

View PostDuke4Beta, on 24 June 2021 - 11:55 AM, said:

Hey Futurtime! That's awesome progress on the mod! Can we expect new duke talk in the beta? What about weapon sounds, ego obtained when killing, night-time vegas, etc?

Thanks!

Patience is a virtue.
0

User is offline   bobslob437 

#250

Have there been any updates or any places to follow the progress of the mod? Cheers!
0

#251

View Postbobslob437, on 04 December 2021 - 03:05 AM, said:

Have there been any updates or any places to follow the progress of the mod? Cheers!

still in closed beta status, but stay tuned.

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 05 December 2021 - 02:33 PM

0

User is offline   Dark Light 

#252

How do you decompile the UnrealScripts?
0

#253

View PostDark Light, on 10 December 2021 - 10:29 AM, said:

How do you decompile the UnrealScripts?

you can't decompile them into UC files - what you can do is use the unreal tournament packaging tool aka UTPT to read the .u files (extract these from the megapackage.dat with noesis), should be noted that only functions can be decompiled, the rest seems to be using too much custom coding.
DNF has at least 4000+ unknown functions mentioned in some of the function decompilations, just to give you an idea of how heavily customized it is.
1

User is offline   Dean 

#254

Any new stuff? Haven't been on duke4 for a long time.
0

#255

 Dean, on 29 January 2022 - 12:39 AM, said:

Any new stuff? Haven't been on duke4 for a long time.

Stay tuned, all I can say :D
0

User is offline   Zach Fett 

#256

Is there a way I could enable reloading for the shotgun while using the classic gameplay mod? I don't mind the rest of them not having it (Ripper's animation was ugly), but the shotgun's animation was always satisfying!

Also I asked a long while back but never got a reply: Any idea how Redxplatinum got first person driving working? They only mentioned that they edited user.ini, but didn't say what line they edited/added.
0

User is offline   spessu_sb 

#257

Could someone make a step by step for how to use this and do the version/console downgrade? I've multiple times tried with legit steam retail copy to run the downgrade utility and afterwards launch from the executable and it just doesn't launch.
I get the SOS console fine working in the dnf2011 demo tho but I'd love to get it in the actual game now. Especially since if the 2001 editor is compatible with 2011 allowing for custom map support. Thanks to anyone.
0

#258

View Postspessu_sb, on 12 May 2022 - 04:28 AM, said:

Could someone make a step by step for how to use this and do the version/console downgrade? I've multiple times tried with legit steam retail copy to run the downgrade utility and afterwards launch from the executable and it just doesn't launch.
I get the SOS console fine working in the dnf2011 demo tho but I'd love to get it in the actual game now. Especially since if the 2001 editor is compatible with 2011 allowing for custom map support. Thanks to anyone.

I recommend finding a 1.00 copy instead, the downgrade causes the vehicle boosting to crash the game.
I was sadly unable to get dukeed to work in 2011, keeps throwing up dll errors. 2011 maps also refuse to load in dukeed (or dnf 2001 proper)
One thing though...2001 map exports CAN work in 2011. I've been posting a few shots on the discord server here and there.
Now before you guys get real happy regarding this: it's still filled to the brim with roadblocks.

The current issue is that 2001 lacks this data that determines that X parts of the maps are and aren't out of world - as a direct result, 2011 interprets this as EVERYTHING being out of world, thus causing duke to get a heart attack and drop dead the moment the map loads in. The solution is to run a set command for any and all entities that will be loaded into the map before going in there. i.e. set dukeplayer bcanexistoutofworld true
(Zombie speculated that this may also be a physics related issue, i.e. 2001 lacks phys data that 2011 expects.)
unfortunately, pipe/trip, and projectile weapons and enemies don't work properly, so this is not a full solution to the issue.
The old lighting system also is not supported meaning that lights have to be added in. ATM, only dukevisionlight works but that's likely because of the aforementioned out of world issues. (dukevisionlight is set to be allowed out of world by default)
Finally, there's the issue of some exports working and some don't. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly causes this. I've narrowed it down to being a geometry related issue - Fulsy made a blockout recreation of the stripclub room in E1L2 (no items, ai or anything like that, just lights and geometry), which worked in 2001 and not in 2011. He later recreated it from scratch and now it's working in 2011. The error report isn't very helpful, it just says it's a dncommon.dll error and ties it into an output win32 device issue.

One other thing that another user, slade, discovered when porting UT99 maps and trying to fix a texture issue happening only in 2011 is that enabling bright corners will cause whatever is assigned to that to turn transparent in 2011 and 2011 only. Bright corners MUST be disabled if you want to avoid invisible textures.

That being said, for all the roadblocks, it is the first major step in getting custom maps working in 2011.

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 15 May 2022 - 04:22 AM

5

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#259


2

#260

So...I figured out the general causes for the crashes.
The E1L2 blockout was crashing because...of the playerstart actor. For some reason.
DNF's crash log was actually helpful for once and it basically tells you exactly what's causing the crash.
Nine times out of ten, it tends to be an actor related cause, usually a Mover brush not working right and this is very important to point out: The general reason 2001 maps don't work in 2011 tend to be due to 01 Movers not being compatible with 2011, so it just freaks out and crashes.
From the looks of it, 3DR seemingly gutted out and replaced mover logic/script so any map exports meant for 2011 cannot use Mover of any kind.
Speaking of which, this applies to Doormover albeit that one straight up doesn't exist in 2011, we have Doormoverex_rotating and sliding in its place.
It's interesting to note that since whenever 3DR replaced stuff from 2001 like say duke's groundspeed, doormovers, the light system, etc, that the new replacement ALWAYS has an ex in its name.
ATM however I was still not able to solve the out of world issues and unfortunately the fix provided above doesn't work for multiplayer for some reason, Duke just stands there in place, you can fire/switch weapons, but you can't move anywhere.

Regardless here's some examples of semi functional 2001 map exports in 2011:
E1L2

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/309184341861335042/976105885891985548/unknown.png?width=1146&height=674

(by Fulsy, very WIP and incomplete, I added some lights kinda haphazardly as this is just a quick demo)

Blice:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/309184341861335042/976102500077809705/unknown.png?width=1146&height=674

I used rendmap 0 because I didn't feel like adding lights for this shot. it's just a quick demonstration. Should be noted that blice had to have its movers removed for it to load in 2011 as you'd expect.

This post has been edited by Futuretime23: 18 May 2022 - 05:19 AM

6

User is offline   spessu_sb 

#261

View PostFuturetime23, on 15 May 2022 - 04:18 AM, said:

I recommend finding a 1.00 copy instead, the downgrade causes the vehicle boosting to crash the game.
I was sadly unable to get dukeed to work in 2011, keeps throwing up dll errors. 2011 maps also refuse to load in dukeed (or dnf 2001 proper)
One thing though...2001 map exports CAN work in 2011. I've been posting a few shots on the discord server here and there.
Now before you guys get real happy regarding this: it's still filled to the brim with roadblocks.

The current issue is that 2001 lacks this data that determines that X parts of the maps are and aren't out of world - as a direct result, 2011 interprets this as EVERYTHING being out of world, thus causing duke to get a heart attack and drop dead the moment the map loads in. The solution is to run a set command for any and all entities that will be loaded into the map before going in there. i.e. set dukeplayer bcanexistoutofworld true
(Zombie speculated that this may also be a physics related issue, i.e. 2001 lacks phys data that 2011 expects.)
unfortunately, pipe/trip, and projectile weapons and enemies don't work properly, so this is not a full solution to the issue.
The old lighting system also is not supported meaning that lights have to be added in. ATM, only dukevisionlight works but that's likely because of the aforementioned out of world issues. (dukevisionlight is set to be allowed out of world by default)
Finally, there's the issue of some exports working and some don't. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly causes this. I've narrowed it down to being a geometry related issue - Fulsy made a blockout recreation of the stripclub room in E1L2 (no items, ai or anything like that, just lights and geometry), which worked in 2001 and not in 2011. He later recreated it from scratch and now it's working in 2011. The error report isn't very helpful, it just says it's a dncommon.dll error and ties it into an output win32 device issue.

One other thing that another user, slade, discovered when porting UT99 maps and trying to fix a texture issue happening only in 2011 is that enabling bright corners will cause whatever is assigned to that to turn transparent in 2011 and 2011 only. Bright corners MUST be disabled if you want to avoid invisible textures.

That being said, for all the roadblocks, it is the first major step in getting custom maps working in 2011.

Thanks for this informative post man. I wasn't sure if the steam version is compatible or not.

Do you know if I were to hunt down a retail DVD copy of the PC release, would that be different to the steam one?
Also just want to mention it that I and many folks are still very much looking forward to this mod and that you truly might be able to resurgance this game some way when it hits.
DNF2011 was always a mediocre game with some good bits in it and I've seen some ppl nowadays praise it like it's some sort of hidden gem, which it's not lol. But if there's that much approval for the mess that the final game ended up being, then there's sure high appreciation for a mod that makes it more closer to how it should've been.
0

#262

View Postspessu_sb, on 18 May 2022 - 05:40 AM, said:

Thanks for this informative post man. I wasn't sure if the steam version is compatible or not.

Do you know if I were to hunt down a retail DVD copy of the PC release, would that be different to the steam one?
Also just want to mention it that I and many folks are still very much looking forward to this mod and that you truly might be able to resurgance this game some way when it hits.
DNF2011 was always a mediocre game with some good bits in it and I've seen some ppl nowadays praise it like it's some sort of hidden gem, which it's not lol. But if there's that much approval for the mess that the final game ended up being, then there's sure high appreciation for a mod that makes it more closer to how it should've been.

YW.
As for the dvd version, I think it forces you to download the most updated version off Steam, not sure, you might have to dig deeper into this and potentially find alternatives if you catch my drift.
As for your last point, actually I'm not sure if people would appreciate some of the changes made, particularly when it comes to the cut levels. Like I think everyone likes duke burger, and the shrunk section in the dam machine is at the very least respected but the rc car section at the start is generally disliked...except for some people who do like it. I know some would find that section being cut as a pretty shitty change, same deal with the Moon from the dlc.
0

User is offline   spessu_sb 

#263

View PostFuturetime23, on 18 May 2022 - 06:12 AM, said:

YW.
As for the dvd version, I think it forces you to download the most updated version off Steam, not sure, you might have to dig deeper into this and potentially find alternatives if you catch my drift.
As for your last point, actually I'm not sure if people would appreciate some of the changes made, particularly when it comes to the cut levels. Like I think everyone likes duke burger, and the shrunk section in the dam machine is at the very least respected but the rc car section at the start is generally disliked...except for some people who do like it. I know some would find that section being cut as a pretty shitty change, same deal with the Moon from the dlc.

I do understand what you're hinting at with the 1.0 version alternatives.

I really dislike the begin driving section because imo it drags for way to long and it never feels really good. Same for the Moon part of DLC since I think final battle shouldn't be a vehicle boss but an actual gun fight where Duke can kick ass.
I'm of the mindset that Dukeburger outside climb part non-shrunken is cool because, well.. it's one of the most unique sections in the whole game. Your level is vertical based and that makes it play different. Tho it'd be nice if it lasted a bit longer. Actual Dukeburger inside I think might be a bit overrated. It's not bad per se but could also be improved upon.
0

#264

I had mixed feelings about the driving sections of the game. I get the idea, but it was just movement more than it was game play. There was no real pressure, you couldn't really fail, they lacked pacing, no weapons(mount a weapon on it ffs). The RC parts I didn't mind so much, but they could have had some gun play in there.

Just out of interest, what would people cut/edit in the game? For me the moon section is probably the most boring, anticlimactic ending I've seen

This post has been edited by Benjamin Foley: 18 May 2022 - 12:54 PM

0

User is offline   Chewbarta 

#265

View PostBenjamin Foley, on 18 May 2022 - 12:51 PM, said:

I had mixed feelings about the driving sections of the game. I get the idea, but it was just movement more than it was game play. There was no real pressure, you couldn't really fail, they lacked pacing, no weapons(mount a weapon on it ffs).
Just out of interest, what would people cut/edit in the game? For me the moon section is probably the most boring, anticlimactic ending I've seen


In the 2011 release there was a contrived section dedicated to driving the monster truck. I think adding a gas mechanic to the motorcycle parts could help with more areas to explore. The 2011 car mode just felt too linear.
0

#266

View PostBenjamin Foley, on 18 May 2022 - 12:51 PM, said:

I had mixed feelings about the driving sections of the game. I get the idea, but it was just movement more than it was game play. There was no real pressure, you couldn't really fail, they lacked pacing, no weapons(mount a weapon on it ffs).

It fell victim to "Cutting is shipping". The monster truck was originally meant to have a missile launcher. http://duke4ever.alt...t_Overview.html

View PostBenjamin Foley, on 18 May 2022 - 12:51 PM, said:

For me the moon section is probably the most boring, anticlimactic ending I've seen

The low gravity mechanics were a nice change of pacing, I wanted more of them. If anything, it's the end scene after the Empress was defeated, to be boring: recycled babe models in Area 51, and we're TOLD (as opposed to being SHOWN) that all ended well.
0

#267

Yo AR, is that document available in its original format anywhere? are there any dates attached to it like the worldchart?

Back on topic: I kind of regret cutting the Moon to an extent - the vehicle part where you are running over captains in low gravity is pretty fun, same deal with getting the battery for your car. But the boss fight...holy shit. Easily the worst part of the DLC - well ok that honor still belongs to Dylan opening his mouth to say virtually anything but this is a pretty fucking close second if I had to be honest.
I couldn't really make this fight work, I couldn't really edit much and honestly the more I tried the more I wondered why not just cut it? As good as the earlier sections are, this last section ruins everything before it.
The Empress is easily the worst boss fight in DNF. Worse than the Octaking, worse than the Energy Leech, it's just awful in every way shape and form. Clunky, janky and just not fun.
0

#268

View PostFuturetime23, on 19 May 2022 - 08:50 PM, said:

Yo AR, is that document available in its original format anywhere? are there any dates attached to it like the worldchart?

It's available right here, but it doesn't help, because it says it's been created and modified on May 9, 2009. Instead, the leech boss document says it was created on January 24, 2008, and last modified on May 9, 2009.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 20 May 2022 - 07:09 PM

1

#269

So I decided to test out if it was indeed only movers that generally caused 01 campaign maps to crash in 2011 (per crash logs)...and it was. I removed the mover brushes and they now worked in 2011.

Here are some shots with some added lighting here and there:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/974189682130837544/978755242315354222/unknown.png?width=1146&height=674

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/309184341861335042/978755669752701018/unknown.png?width=1146&height=674

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/309184341861335042/978755788908658738/unknown.png?width=1146&height=674

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/309184341861335042/978757190749929482/unknown.png?width=1146&height=674

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/973724832430719046/978753034031099934/unknown.png?width=1146&height=674

Barring the last one from z1l1_3, the rest are all z1l1_4.

Shockingly enough, it turns out that level exits still work just fine - the exit to z1l1_4 took me to z1l1_5.
8

#270

View Postspessu_sb, on 18 May 2022 - 05:40 AM, said:

Thanks for this informative post man. I wasn't sure if the steam version is compatible or not.

Do you know if I were to hunt down a retail DVD copy of the PC release, would that be different to the steam one?
Also just want to mention it that I and many folks are still very much looking forward to this mod and that you truly might be able to resurgance this game some way when it hits.
DNF2011 was always a mediocre game with some good bits in it and I've seen some ppl nowadays praise it like it's some sort of hidden gem, which it's not lol. But if there's that much approval for the mess that the final game ended up being, then there's sure high appreciation for a mod that makes it more closer to how it should've been.


I still have my Collectors Edition of DNF on PC, I can dump the disk if it would help

(Got the bust signed by Jon St John, he gave me a good old christian side hug)

This post has been edited by LiquidOtacon: 25 May 2022 - 05:56 AM

0

Share this topic:


  • 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options