Duke4.net Forums: Screen blacks out - Monitor or GPU issue? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Screen blacks out - Monitor or GPU issue?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This has been a problem that started slowly and got worse over time. It's getting to the point of being absolutely maddening now when watching movies and especially when playing games that require precision timing. I think it's the monitor as it doesn't happen on my side monitor (1080p is my main one and the side one is a 4:3 1280x1024). I had to switch from HDMI to DVI because being a pure digital signal in HDMI the screen would black out every time trying to figure itself out and sometimes not come back at all (I'd have to switch between inputs on my monitor or turn it off and on to get the video signal back). With DVI, however, it merely glitches the screen for a split second (shows a copy of the screen image offset and discoloured for like a single frame or two) instead of blacking out. And instead of blacking out completely and not coming back it just blacks out for a half-second or so. So it's not as bad as using HDMI but still. It's getting worse.

Like I said it doesn't happen on my side monitor but I don't know if that's just because it's not running at 1080p or not. I don't have another 1080p screen to test so I'm just assuming it's the monitor and not the GPU. I at first assumed it might be the GPU as it got worse when I switched over from my old GTX 460 to my current GTX 970. But I think that may have just been a coincidence now....the monitor is 8 years old now or so and the 970 is only a year and a half or something like that.

The monitor is an Asus VK278Q 27".

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also noticed since I just recently bought a Bluray burner drive that when watching Bluray movies with Cyberlink PowerDVD sometimes the screen not only blacks out but turns to snow. Only when I'm playing Blurays. It's really bizarre. Maybe it is a GPU issue after all?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Try this.

Unplug the monitor power cord. Count to 10 Mississippis. Plug in the monitor.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

If you're getting unique problems with Blu-Ray movies, it's probably an HDCP issue, and almost certainly the monitor.

If it were your GPU, it would almost certainly be one of two things; 1. The GPU is dying and it would crash the machine when the monitor blacked out. 2. The driver has a problem and has crashed, but Windows managed to restart it. This would yield a notification in the tray which you'd definitely have noticed when the monitor came back on.
Pretty safe to say it is the screen as others have also said.

How hot is your screen getting? Could be a heat problem, I've heard that's a thing with LCD panels sometimes and that the PSU in them can get baked out of useful service over time.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

the capacitors in your monitor are bad.
the variations in the inputs and signals are the difference in how fast they heat up

• The Sarien Encounter

That's a relief. I'd rather have to buy a new monitor than a GPU. Especially in this market climate. I mean, having to buy a new monitor sucks, but its lasted me for years. Not as long as some older screens that I still have that work fine, but it's had a decent run. Don't know when I'll be able to finally get a new one, but it'll be easier than getting a GPU.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostForge, on 20 April 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

the capacitors in your monitor are bad.
the variations in the inputs and signals are the difference in how fast they heat up

That's my assessment as well. I've got a cheap tv with the same problem in my basement. Technically speaking it's an easy fix, but these things are usually built like bricks with no way to get at any of the components without damaging it all.

Did you do a full power disconnect? It will flush the caps which may help, they stay charged all the time and are usually the weakest link.

• The Sarien Encounter

Well, I just moved last weekend so I assume that counts. Started up again in no time.

User is offline   Jeff 

I had a similar issue with my monitor. Turned out to be a cheap surge protector was causing the issue. Plugged it into a UPS and no more blanking out spells.

• The Sarien Encounter

Hmmm...I'm still using the same power bar I've used for years. Haven't tried another outlet. I even take it with me when I transport my computer somewhere else temporarily. Perhaps I should test on a different one. I mean, it's ancient. My dad used it when I was a kid. But it still works (apparently possibly not well) and it's got so much space between outlets on the strip.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 24 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Well that didn't work.

User is offline   Mark 

Are you sure its the monitor blacking out? Maybe you need to adjust your meds. :P

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 April 2018 - 06:57 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 April 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

Hmmm...I'm still using the same power bar I've used for years. Haven't tried another outlet. I even take it with me when I transport my computer somewhere else temporarily. Perhaps I should test on a different one. I mean, it's ancient. My dad used it when I was a kid. But it still works (apparently possibly not well) and it's got so much space between outlets on the strip.

Something you could do, you could go to a store, buy a UPS, and if it doesn't fix your problem, return it. I did this before with a mouse, and they honored getting me a refund.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 25 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

I would be inclined to blame the monitor. If the video card has VGA (D-Sub port) try that instead. Switching to an analog port would be an interesting test. You could always use your second monitor as your primary monitor to prove that there aren't any problems with your GPU HDMI port. Asus typically has a 3 year warranty on their screens, maybe still under warranty? If you happen to have a laptop with HDMI out, try connecting it as second screen to the laptop.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

It doesn't have a D-Sub port. Just two DVIs and an HDMI. I've also had the monitor for 7 years now. My second monitor is DVI and D-Sub only. No way to test HDMI on another screen.

Although, my TV is HDMI...but only 720p. Still can test. Either way, it's still happening with DVI (though both monitors are connected via DVI. The second has a D-Sub adapter on it and works fine) so it's surely the monitor.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I've recently attached a third small 1024x768 monitor so I can have more workspace. As a consequence, I've had to reconnect my main Asus 1080p monitor via HDMI. I'm getting the screen blackouts again (obviously). I did some comprehensive tests. It only seems to happen when I'm playing a game or if a lot is going on on the screen at once. I played a game at max res, I reduced the 1080p display to 1280x1024 (same res as my second monitor) and tried the same game, same results. I played the game on my second monitor and while it did not black out, my 1080p screen still did randomly.

I did some more searching on this issue and then I found this video of a guy who had the exact same issue as me. In this clip he's connecting his monitor to his gfx card via VGA or DV-I and you can see the flicker. When this happens in HDMI the screen just goes black and sometimes doesn't come back (likely because it's not analogue, like I hypothesized above). Same thing otherwise. He said he called in the warranty and had the monitor replaced 5 years ago. So I have no hope of that. Guess I need a new monitor soon.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Throwing mud at a wall to see if it sticks, but is your psu adequate enough to handle all that additional output?

• The Sarien Encounter

It's a 750W PSU. Screen still flickers even if it's the only monitor connected at any resolution, though. And again, only this monitor.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options