Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Wasn't there going to be a revised version of OGBB in the unique episode? Forgive me if I'm misremembering.

User is offline   juvenite 

I hate when he says that

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostKatrix Kytarix, on 27 March 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

I hate when he says that

He should have been more specific.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostKatrix Kytarix, on 27 March 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

I hate when he says that
Sorry Duke, I can't see a damn thing in here (dark video) But to be fair you did say "Let's shoot something..." So I shot my gun, annd you happened to be in front of it... okay, I'm just gonna stand here, looking at my gun.....

This post has been edited by Marya: 27 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

User is offline   Marya 

So i hate to be the bearer of bad news ,but is Article 13 going to effect this mod at all?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 02 April 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

So i hate to be the bearer of bad news ,but is Article 13 going to effect this mod at all?

I think that's very unlikely. For one thing, the copyrighted material in AA isn't readily visible to someone until they download it. So it's unlikely to be spotted by bots. Also, in theory any of it that is parody (which is most of it) is protected under Article 13 anyway.

The only potential problem I see would be videos of AA getting flagged/demonetized by YouTube.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 02 April 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

. Also, in theory any of it that is parody (which is most of it) is protected under Article 13 anyway.

Parodies are protected?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostRadar, on 27 March 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Wasn't there going to be a revised version of OGBB in the unique episode? Forgive me if I'm misremembering.

As far as I understand it was gonna be a sequel, but it ended up as the first level of AA.

View PostMarya, on 02 April 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

Parodies are protected?

Generally speaking copyright laws mark using the original material for educational or parody purposes as fair use. Anyway the IP holders can change their minds in any moment.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 02 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 02 April 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

Parodies are protected?

Yeah, it's something similar to the "fair use" doctrine in the USA, whereby inclusion of copyrighted material is allowed for the purposes of quotation, criticism, review, caricature, parody and pastiche. The problem is that the law still puts the burden on internet platforms to make a reasonable effort at policing themselves, and the easiest way for them to do that is play it safe and use algorithms that block anything that looks like it might be a violation. So a lot of stuff that's not actually in violation of Article 13 might be blocked because it's easier to do that than investigate every usage of IP to see if it's legit. However, keep in mind that platforms still have some time to implement it and we don't know what the actual effect will be. We do know that Google is already a big dick even without Article 13, though. So, like I said, it might impact promotional videos and streams and such, but it seems very unlikely to impact an actual mod content.

User is offline   Marya 

Well that's good I didn't think it'd have an immdiate effect on the US, at first....

User is offline   ---- 

Articel 13 is only for huge companies. Even smaller companies don't need to use the filter.

Private persons or privately run forums will continue as before.

I hate that they let Article 13 (which now is Article 17, btw) pass. But hey, maybe people will then go to smaller upload sites for videos and stuff, breaking a little of facebooks, googles (YouTubes) and other companies monopolies.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Something I came to think of the other day - any chance of seeing the penthouse paradise level in AA?

View PostPhredreeke, on 03 April 2019 - 03:36 AM, said:

Something I came to think of the other day - any chance of seeing the penthouse paradise level in AA?

I've actually been fiddling around with it so.... maybe after 3.0's release. I do have to take creative liberties with all the Penthouse girls since they don't work gameplay wise. They're too big, have the wrong colors, and have no code or animations whatsoever. It always bugged me how bad they looked as if they were newspaper cutouts taped to a magazine spread. Also many of the girls are the same woman so of course I'm gonna vary them up.

User is offline   John Brown 

^I agree about the Penthouse level's women looking horrible, like they didn't belong. I remember the rest of the level not being bad, so if anyone can salvage the babe aspect, I can think of nobody better than you.

User is offline   ---- 

Having the Penthouse-Level in a decent/good state with proper graphics would be awesome. :lol:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 03 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

User is offline   minime637 

will we see ninja aliens similar to Shadow Warrior demons joke if duke pick up Uzi he will throw the gun to small he will say that not a gun this is he will pull up Chaingun Cannon or said

User is offline   Marya 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 03 April 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

I've actually been fiddling around with it so.... maybe after 3.0's release. I do have to take creative liberties with all the Penthouse girls since they don't work gameplay wise. They're too big, have the wrong colors, and have no code or animations whatsoever. It always bugged me how bad they looked as if they were newspaper cutouts taped to a magazine spread. Also many of the girls are the same woman so of course I'm gonna vary them up.
sounds like a good idea and i agree with you conclusion the girls did look horrible.

A suggestion regarding the music for the episode selection screen, and the intros.
Namely, I think the songs "Loading" and "I wish this game would never end" from Duke 2 would fit much better than the current choices.
The originals were in IMF format, so you'd have to use a remix. The remaster I found here sounds quite nice:

I attached a zip with OGGs of the songs in question, with proper credit being given in the metadata.

Attached File(s)

Double post, but I finally got the time to play through the new content in full.

I like the story you guys are going for. The emperor seems interesting in that he appears to be some kind of lanky, slim mastermind, rather than a monstrous brutish beast built for combat. A breath of fresh air actually.
Also, man those Alien Commandos must have been taking lessons from the Skaarj. First time I saw them, they absolutely destroyed me with their Flak cannon.

As usual, I kept track of list of bugs and issues. Some may already have been reported and fixed, as I'm kinda late:
  • stalker.mid plays during the episode 4 briefing. In fact it'll always play the music defined for E1L1.
  • The "giveitems" gamevar seems to be broken. If enabled, it will reset Nightvision and Holoduke to 50% on each map start, regardless of its previous amount. If disabled, it'll even take the items away.
  • When Bombshell holds the Shrinker/Babifier, the Quick Kick cannot kill Protozoid Slimers for some reason. This does not happen for Duke.
  • Terminator Dukebots and Mega Octabrains always shoot in the direction of the player, even when visibly facing and attacking another entity (Holoduke, Civilians etc.)
  • When detonating the pigcop tank using its self-destruct button, it leaves behind what seems to be the wreckage of a recon car, rather than that of the tank.
  • Pressing use on the pig stripper as Bombshell plays Duke's voice instead. ("Damn, you're ugly")
  • Two voice line triggers in episode 4 ("Looks like it's time for me to go postal" in E4L6 and "Holy Cow" in E4L8 when entering the exploding red room) always play Duke's voice, even when playing as Bombshell solo.
  • Rolly Turrets seem to sometimes get stuck in their firing frame, at which point they will refuse to attack enemies. I don't know the exact conditions under which this happens.
  • Terminator Dukebots can crouchwalk. When they do so, they briefly change their sprite to the half-destroyed one, before reverting back to the upright form.
  • The green "assimilated" babe on a pillar (see first attachment) when killed leaves behind a bloodied pillar that cannot be destroyed, unlike the non-assimilated counterpart.
  • The first end screen after defeating Dr. Proton is cut off at the top, see second attachment.
  • When a pigcop is shrunk, you'll often briefly see a frame of the pigcop tank in its place.
  • Edit: See fourth attachment, a weird sprite (the number "6") appeared in one Episode 4 map that was considered an enemy by the radar, and was fully blocking. No idea what happened here.
  • Edit: The babe seen in the fifth attachment is intangible and cannot be destroyed.

Oddities (probably not bugs. or not worth fixing):
  • Message scale depends on the level stats scale, and this is always set to 88% every time an episode is started. I assume this is a hack to accomodate the new message display?
  • Swapping characters with nightvision removes the screen tint.
  • Gibs of shrunk enemies turn large once they come to a full stop.
  • Japanese Schoolgirls can't drown, whereas all other civilians do. (intentional?)
  • Generic gibs seem to be upscaled even though I wasn't using the upscale bat file. (see third attachment)
  • Armor is unbounded with nuke tokens. (intentional?)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0073.png
  • Attached Image: duke0045.png
  • Attached Image: duke0017.png
  • Attached Image: duke0015.png
  • Attached Image: duke0039.png

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 21 April 2019 - 02:55 PM

Is it me or does "Loading" sound suspiciously like a slower rendition of Doom II's "Running From Evil"? :lol:

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDoom64hunter, on 21 April 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

I like the story you guys are going for. The emperor seems interesting in that he appears to be some kind of lanky, slim mastermind, rather than a monstrous brutish beast built for combat. A breath of fresh air actually.
Also, man those Alien Commandos must have been taking lessons from the Skaarj. First time I saw them, they absolutely destroyed me with their Flak cannon.

As usual, I kept track of list of bugs and issues. Some may already have been reported and fixed, as I'm kinda late:

I'm taking a little break from AA to do some renovation on Duke Forces in time for May 4, but I have noted your reports and pasted them into my AA todo list so they won't be forgotten.

The Alien Commandos are based on Skaarj, that's true (you probably noticed they use Skaarj sounds). They can kill you pretty quickly, but I like that element of danger. Just remember to quick save if you hear one grunting :lol: I find it best to treat them like you would an enemy player.

And yeah, Emperor Braccus (no relation to character from Divinity) is smart enough to actually lead the aliens. In my ret-conned version of events, The "Cycloid Emperor" was never the actual emperor. That was just his gladiator name. He was a slave who fought for the real emperor. The battle in the football stadium was staged by Braccus as entertainment and broadcast on the alien homeworld as a pay-per-view.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 21 April 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

The "Cycloid Emperor" was never the actual emperor. That was just his gladiator name. He was a slave who fought for the real emperor. The battle in the football stadium was staged by Braccus as entertainment and broadcast on the alien homeworld as a pay-per-view.

The Alien Commandos are based on Skaarj, that's true (you probably noticed they use Skaarj sounds).

It's been too long since I've played Unreal, I only recognized the flak sound. Funnily enough however, it was the movement pattern that tipped me off.
The agility of the Skaarj left an impression on me, as did the Commandos here. They're great, definitely keep them as is.

And yeah, Emperor Braccus (no relation to character from Divinity) is smart enough to actually lead the aliens. In my ret-conned version of events, The "Cycloid Emperor" was never the actual emperor. That was just his gladiator name. He was a slave who fought for the real emperor. The battle in the football stadium was staged by Braccus as entertainment and broadcast on the alien homeworld as a pay-per-view.

Explains why the keep "wasting" so many resources on one world. Have to keep the show going!
Seems like a villain with lots of potential, that's for sure.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDoom64hunter, on 21 April 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

Explains why the keep "wasting" so many resources on one world. Have to keep the show going!

Partially true. Braccus does want to take over Earth, but he prioritizes entertainment over military success. So if the process is inefficient and takes several seasons, that's just fine. Also, the idea of capturing human women and using them to gestate the bio-engineered creations of his homeworld's scientists is absolutely hilarious to Braccus. Totally unnecessary, of course.

Will AA run on the latest eduke32 with its recentish improvements to Polymost?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

On the topic of sprite upscales, can EDuke32 handle 4x sprites? I just tried a few of the new AA sprites with the Cartoon Painted model and I think they could fare pretty well on their own without the need to downscale them to 2x the original size:

One thing I noticed though is that the sprites which appear to have been produced from models (Shelly, Armored Pig and civilians) appear somewhat blurry, which is not observed with original Duke3D sprites processed in the same way (meaning that this is not an artifact of neural upscaling).

Consistency I'd say. The 2x scale enemies don't look out of place with the existing assets.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhredreeke, on 30 April 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

Consistency I'd say. The 2x scale enemies don't look out of place with the existing assets.

Also, when you get up to 4X with all the different characters, the amount of resources you are using is huge. I would rather just use models at that point.

I finally got around to play the revamped Duke it out in DC episode. Really enjoyed the additional flavour added to the maps.

That said it also made me notice flaws in my upscales, which I will work on correcting.

Ok. I found this kinda amusing, Shelly got stuck inside a mirror

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options