• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Command and Conquer Corner  "Building..."

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostZaxx, on 21 April 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

Also: look at how the N64 ConYard looks like:
Posted Image
Interesting... :huh:

Yeah, I noticed that too :lol: But the N64 version was not developed in-house AFAIK. Anyway, the 3D graphics in that version have none of the charm of the original sprites to me.

BTW, a user in another forum recently pointed out to me that beneath all those irrelevant comments in the subreddit where the render was posted there is a small discussion about the aspect ratio:

Milkey_Wilkey said:

looks like you've made this artwork without correcticting aspect ratio of the original image. that's very sad, because original game had a resolution of 320x200 (640x400) that effectivly was stretched to 4x3 and to compensate for a stretch all of the original artwork was compressed vertically. now the remaster will look flat

Nyerguds said:

I warned them about this, but the problem is that they'd need 5x6 aspect ratio on the actual map cells then instead of square cells, which messes up a whole lot in the coordinates system. so there's not really any way around that particular issue :-\

Nyerguds said:

No, he's 100% correct, actually, and it's an issue I raised internally.

If Nyer is on board among the consulting team then I have no further worries :lol:

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

He's working with them on the remaster too? If so good to hear, the guy knows his shit and definitely can be trusted when it comes to the game.

View PostSledgehammer, on 22 April 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

He's working with them on the remaster too?

I don't know the exact extent of his involvement apart from what the quotes above imply (but I can ask). At any rate, Nyerguds is the number one person to go to when dealing with anything C&C: TD, so if he were not involved at all that would be a huge mistake on the part of the devs.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Nyer is on the community council which is this "exclusive line to the developers" they decided to give prominent members of the C&C community. So nope, he's not working on the game, he just gives feedback to most developer decisions.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 23 April 2019 - 05:29 AM

They went for the exactly right man and it makes me worried a bit less about remaster. That said, I hope they will listen to him and avoid making stupid decisions related to the game.

View PostMrFlibble, on 03 March 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

Whaddaya guys think about Earth 2140?

So I finally got around to play the demo of Earth 2140 more than just a bit (I think the demo has unique missions not part of the retail campaigns), and I also watched some campaign playthrough videos. My impression is that it's a very competently done C&C clone with some very good art, but at some point I realised that it was hard to actually relate to what's going on in the game. There's something about the whole setting that makes the game feel way less engaging than both C&C and KKND even despite all the similarities and the fact that Earth 2140 is quite playable. Maybe it's because of the robots (possibly due to German censorship; UCS infantry resembles T-800 Terminators while ED infantry look like Cylons), maybe because there's no clear good/bad guy side (both sides are painted as not particularly good and implicitly blamed for the post-apocalyptic state the world is in).

Also the demo music track reminds of something from Yuri's Revenge.

One of the retail playthrough commentators I watched said that the Windows port you can buy now has a bug and the AI does not build any units. I'm not certain if this is accurate info and the bug has not been fixed since (the DOS version does not have it apparently).

I never could bring myself to care about the Earth 21XX franchise, but I have to say, Earth 2150's dystopic premise - three factions fighting each over resources in order to escape to Mars before the planet is engulfed by the sun - is rather cool, actually, and would have been nothing short of amazing in more capable hands.

View PostMrFlibble, on 18 May 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

Also the demo music track reminds of something from Yuri's Revenge.

Now, that is an insult to Frank Klepacki! You, sir, take it back! <_< :P :)

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 18 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Was never a C&C or Earth series fan, my thing was Total Annihilation and the TA clone Warzone 2100 (which is still being developed and is free to play: https://wz2100.net/)

User is offline   gemeaux333 

In Earth 2140 and 2160, the UCS infantry (the SILVERS) look really like T-800 from terminator indeed, and the ED infantry look cylons but they are human behind the armor in every versions

The bug you mentionned with the AI is only in the "windows xp" version distributed at the time of Earth 2160 and the steam version, not in the dos or the gog version

I know another "CNC clone", although it is completely different, its the sequel/reboot of a SIERRA game, Outpost :

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 19 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 18 May 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

but I have to say, Earth 2150's dystopic premise - three factions fighting each over resources in order to escape to Mars before the planet is engulfed by the sun - is rather cool, actually, and would have been nothing short of amazing in more capable hands.

I remember playing the Earth 2150 demo a bit a loong time ago, and rather liking it (but not enough to continue playing). They innovated a bit and added custom vehicle designs like in Warzone 2100. I think there was also something about building a home base on a separate map from which to launch your attacks but I'm not sure.

Warzone 2100 seems like a very competent game but I didn't find it captivating. Maybe I should give it a try sometime.

Outpost - heard about that one but never tried it out.

I think Interplay's M.A.X. 2 actually introduced a real-time mode (the first game being turn-based only; otherwise quite borrowing from Dune II etc.). There was a lot of experimenting going on with the genre back then I believe. Enemy Nations seems pretty advanced, but haven't played enough to figure it out.

There was also an odd game called The L.E.D. Wars but I never got the hang of it. And let's not forget Dominion which while being a straghtforward CC clone more or less, helped shape StarCraft as we know it today <_<

I remember Youtube essayist Noah Caldwell-Gervais discussing the two Outpost games in one of his videos:

I have not played either of them, but I did listen to Outpost 2's soundtrack on Youtube and it is honestly quite good!

I also recently came across a StarCraft clone called Five Nations. Even though it is far from being finished, it seems to have a lot of potential.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 19 May 2019 - 01:25 PM

You can get both Outpost games here : https://www.outpost2.net/

In outpost 1 you just have to mind about the well being of your settlers and research,
in Outpost 2 you also have to mind about millitary and the "Blight"

Outpost 2 is also precursor in the domain of unit modular construction (you can have the weapon you want on the chasis you want), even more than Earth 2140 and before Earth 2150

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 20 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

While I would usually agree on MrFlibble on the aspect ratio, in C&C case it's not so important.
A different aspect ratio means a different angle of the orthogonal projection.
Besides no matter how you look at it, the base of the building must fit on a square shape:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 21 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

View PostFox, on 21 May 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

A different aspect ratio means a different angle of the orthogonal projection.

Well, that's certainly true!

On a somewhat relate note, Frank Klepacki's website has been completely overhauled with more music added, including a(n almost) complete soundtrack of Dune II:
https://www.frankkle...om/ost/vg/dune2

So in the meantime, there have been a couple more official updates on the remasters, but not a lot has been shown so far: the new sidebar design and a render of the Tesla Tank from Aftermath.

According to the latest report, the first C&C campaign mission is fully playable with new assets, and work on Red Alert stuff is underway.

There must have really been a lot of in-depth discussions with the Community Council since the latest update goes to discuss the number of rings on the Tesla ball of the Tesla Tank. I hope this is a good indication of how seriously the developers now take all the small details that matter to fans. (yeah, I have to admit that my first thought about the render was: why is the ball absolutely smooth, is it missing something? :lol: but no, if they keep it that way I won't complain either :dukecigar:)

User is offline   Fox 

The new sidebar icons appear to have been wrongly corrected for the aspect ratio? They are based on C&C95, which icons were made for 1:1 aspect.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 29 July 2019 - 10:36 AM

View PostFox, on 29 July 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

The new sidebar icons appear to have been wrongly corrected for the aspect ratio? They are based on C&C95, which icons were made for 1:1 aspect.

Well, they would appear stretched, just like the faction logos on the sidebar, if you ran C&C95 in a 4:3 display at default resolution (640x400). That's more of blunder on the side of Westwood when making the Windows port back then. (or rather, it was not corrected from the Macintosh port)

Anyway, I just realised that the Guard Tower kinda looks like it's built from Lego blocks.

User is offline   Fox 

The guard tower does look like that in-game.

Not really, I mean the new icon shows a sturdy and blocky structure whereas the original was more of thin metal reinforced by sandbags, at least as seen in the Akira video (which is basically the source of the C&C95 icon):

User is offline   Fox 

By in-game I meant the sprite.

The sprite is too small to discern the details though. The top of the tower is just a rectangular box, never made an impression of being made of Lego blocks on me. The sprite might as well correspond to the FMV render as to the new icon.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 01 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

So, I've never really played any of these before, which one would be best to start off with for a fan of the Age of Empires series? I think I've got the first two Red Alerts and one of the Tiberian Suns lying around somewhere.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I think that RA2 is definitely the best C&C game so you can't really go wrong there. Tiberian Sun is pretty solid too.

On the other hand the original Westwood games may feel a bit too simple for people who are not used to the C&C style of RTS. AoE is pretty micro and macro intensive, C&C is more laid back so if you find that to be a problem then C&C 3 and RA 3 could help (especially RA3).

View PostZaxx, on 03 August 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

I think that RA2 is definitely the best C&C game so you can't really go wrong there.

I completely agree on this, but perhaps for someone getting introduced to the series, it would also not hurt to try out the first game as well, just to get the general idea. That is, of course, if you like digging some videogame history and are not only after solid gameplay.

You can grab a demo of C&C (preferably this one - but there are spoilers in it so beware; and difficulty is toned down) and play it in DOSBox, it works very well. Don't forget to turn on aspect ratio correction. Or, just get Nyerguds' patched Windows version. Both C&C and RA1 are freeware.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

I think that RA2 is definitely the best C&C game so you can't really go wrong there. Tiberian Sun is pretty solid too.

Agree with this. RA2 and Tiberian Sun are my 2 favourite C&C games (with RA2 at 1st place).

Also note that TIberian Sun (along with C&C1 and RA1) is freeware and I recommend getting it from here.

On the other hand the original Westwood games may feel a bit too simple for people who are not used to the C&C style of RTS. AoE is pretty micro and macro intensive, C&C is more laid back so if you find that to be a problem then C&C 3 and RA 3 could help (especially RA3).

C&C 3 is pretty good but I personally wouldn't recommend RA3. That game has good gameplay but its tone and asthetics are too campy/cartoony IMHO. Not something I would recommend for 1st impression.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 05 August 2019 - 05:58 AM

I just thought that newcomers to the series might be a bit confused by the difference in controls between C&C/RA3 and all the previous Westwood-era titles.

Some of the recent (but small) updates:

Remaster Update and Red Alert Preview

Jim Vessella said:

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

Positive momentum continues and earlier this month we completed our first production milestone. This milestone included several key improvements to Tiberian Dawn, most notably delivering our first Campaign mission to full Alpha quality. This means all the mission visuals are now showcasing the 4k assets from Lemon Sky, and the mission can be completed with all the core gameplay mechanics. I’ll admit when playing this full mission experience, the game started to transport me back to when I first played C&C, and I hope it does the same for all of you when the game is released.

However, one of the more exciting accomplishments of this milestone actually had nothing to do with Tiberian Dawn. That’s because we were able to get Red Alert playable for the first time. We are now able to load Red Alert missions, and the game is already being populated with several of the remastered visual assets. That’s because even though Red Alert just became playable in the software, Lemon Sky has actually been creating assets for Red Alert over the past several months. So to celebrate this first step for Red Alert, we thought it would be fun to share a preview for one of the most iconic Red Alert units - the Tesla Tank.

In the same fashion as our approach of the structures, our primary goal for units has been to maintain the authenticity of the original in-game asset. In an effort to take advantage of the 4k resolution, many of our earlier unit concepts included extra widgets and details, but we often found this compromised the unit’s readability at camera game height. So we continued to iterate, and over the months we’ve begun to hone in on these elements, and feel like the Tesla Tank here strikes a good balance between readability and those added details. Of note, we only interpreted one Tesla ring from the legacy in-game asset, but there’s already been a healthy debate with the Community Council whether the Tesla ball should have two rings to match the cinematic reference. Perhaps we can get feedback here from the greater community to help decide this unit’s final look : )

Thanks for your ongoing support and participation, and looking forward to sharing more details as both games now become more playable.

Cheers,

Jim Vessella

Jimtern

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 20 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

Remaster Update and Mission Selection Preview

Jim Vessella said:

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

We’re nearing the completion of our second production milestone, and significant progress has been made over the past several weeks. The entire GDI Campaign is getting close to Alpha quality, including the ability to play through the campaign in succession with all the proper transitions. Items like the European Mission Map are currently getting remastered in 4k, which is giving the campaign a truly rich high definition experience. With the topic of campaign progression in mind, we wanted to share a preview of a new screen we’re introducing into the remasters - the Mission Selection screen.

The Mission Selection screen is a quality-of-life feature we wanted to add to the remasters, allowing players to more easily track their campaign progression and access all the remastered mission content. The screen serves as a hub for the progress you’ve made across both campaigns, highlighting which missions you’ve completed and the ones you still have yet to tackle. This is especially valuable for missions with alternate paths, such as GDI Mission 4 where there are three possible map variants. The screen will enable players to replay missions at ease, compared to the legacy titles which required players to remember manually saving their game during each mission. When campaign mission entries are selected, the screen will reinforce the world map progression, showcase the mission briefing, and provide an opportunity to watch the cinematics. In addition to campaign missions, the screen will also provide quick access to any expansion missions, and perhaps a few bonus missions players may be familiar with :(

In terms of cosmetic design, the visual style is inspired by the classic Main Menu from the Gold edition, and shares similar elements as our remastered Sidebar. As with all the remastered content, our goal is to maintain an authentic approach to the menus, while of course enhancing them to take full advantage of higher resolution displays. You can expect this style to permeate throughout all the menu screens in Tiberian Dawn.

We’re eager to hear your feedback on both the functionality and cosmetic design of this screen, and thanks for your ongoing support and participation.

Cheers,

Jim Vessella

Jimtern

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 20 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

User is offline   NNC 

I'm now playing Starcraft Remastered, and replay the missions (both vanilla and Brood War) from start to finish for the first time since whatever. Overall it's a much more demanding game than any of the CnC series, you need strong focus and time to beat the harder levels unlike in RA2 for example, which can be done in a few days. I'm not sure if I like this game better or not, they have different high points. In SC, I think episode 2 and 3 are quite boring at times (episode 1 is easy and has an engaging storyline, BW missions are much more sophisticated), while in RA2 and TS I didn't remember boring parts in the game. Part of the dullness come from the fact that SC missions in episode 2 and 3 almost always ended up the same: build base, defend the weak points, have a steady flow, attack enemy base. RA2 and TS has some fun missions like defend the Ural base from Chrono troops, use Yuri clones to capture Alamo, find the Prism cannons on the Yucatan etc.

On the other hand SC has much better storytelling, in fact it's very deeply political, like how a revolution can end in another dictatorship or what's the difference between a race made for individualism and another made for one central control. Characters like Arcturus, Kerrigen, Aldaris are all complex characters, with good and bad traits as well. In CnC games one mission is useless, because it's not canonical, and it's quite hard to relate with people like Yuri or Tanya. Also, SC1 has more balance within the races, there are no BS things like vanilla Artillery in TS, or Yuri's race in YR. Overall, I have to say, SC is a slightly better game despite some dullness and chore inside the missions. The payoff is better.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options