Duke4.net Forums: Has anybody managed to emulate Duke nukem mobile 3d? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has anybody managed to emulate Duke nukem mobile 3d?

Has anybody got Duke Nukem mobile 3d to work yet?
It's a strange duke game and i like strange stuff. So i wanted to try it out, but it doesn't seem like j2me emulators at all.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

The original game was released for the Tapwave Zodiac, which ran PalmOS. There was a later port to feature phones but from what I can tell it used BREW (which compiled the game into native code, not running in a virtual machine like J2ME)

From 3D Realms old website, it looks like the mobile port received upgraded graphics though http://legacy.3dreal...le3d/index.html

User is offline   Rellik 

Interesting, did you by chance watch LGR's Tapwave Zodiac review just posted today? he goes over Duke 3d Mobile (12:40).

From the looks of it, it's a pretty shitty Duke game

User is offline   necroslut 

I'd like to play it too, even if it seems pretty bad. It's a piece of Duke history, after all, and it can't have been as bad as the 2D mobile game.

Duke mobile 3d originally released on the zodiac. But later around 2004/5 it was released for j2me mobile phones. It was also later re-released as duke nukem arena which added 3d models. But i have yet to have found a jar for that one.

I really don't get why the game wouldn't work on j2me emulators. I've gotten plenty of 3d games to work on them. Hell i even got the 2D Duke Nukem mobile games to work.

Because the mobile port isn't running on J2ME, it's using BREW...

View PostPhredreeke, on 18 March 2018 - 05:14 AM, said:

I'm talking about this duke nukem mobile It's a port of the Tapwave zodiac version onto mobile java phones.

View PostPhredreeke, on 18 March 2018 - 05:14 AM, said:

There's also Duke nukem Arena for mobile phones. It's a re-release of the previous duke nukem mobile 3d with 3d models.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostmrDUKE!zone, on 18 March 2018 - 05:23 AM, said:

I'm talking about this duke nukem mobile It's a port of the Tapwave zodiac version onto mobile java phones.

Haha, the pistol feels like a pulse rifle without the firing animations. :)

Ok, let's take Duke Nukem Mobile 3D to begin with. Going on 3D Realm's old website, we can find what phones it was sold for. If we google the phones, we'll find that they're using BREW.
Now, Duke Nukem Arena is trickier, as there is no mention of it on 3D Realm's site. However, if we google the game's name and Verizon we can find this newspost about the game. Once again, if we look up the supported phones we discover that they're using BREW. I haven't been able to find any signs of the game coming out on other carriers but obviously that doesn't disprove that it did.

A J2ME emulator can't run BREW games for the same reason you can't run SNES games in a Playstation emulator. They're two different formats. There could have been a J2ME version, but I can't find any concrete signs that was the case.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I mean, it's novel, but I don't really see the point of playing this one. It's honestly very DULL above all else...

Well i do have a jar for duke nukem mobile 3d that i could post here. i've gotten it to launch and *somewhat* run on KEmulator. but that's about it.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostmrDUKE!zone, on 18 March 2018 - 05:25 AM, said:

There's also Duke nukem Arena for mobile phones.

Was. Nobody has the files anymore, I'm pretty sure, what with having looked for many years.

View PostmrDUKE!zone, on 18 March 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

Well i do have a jar for duke nukem mobile 3d that i could post here. i've gotten it to launch and *somewhat* run on KEmulator. but that's about it.

Interesting... have you tried opening the file as an archive (using 7Zip or WinRAR) to see what assets are in it?

• Ancient Blood God

It's a different version of the game.

View PostPhredreeke, on 18 March 2018 - 11:00 PM, said:

Interesting... have you tried opening the file as an archive (using 7Zip or WinRAR) to see what assets are in it?

Thanks for reminding me! Yup i have now. I've found most of the textures and sprites. they are highly pixelated to compensate for the lower quality tech.

I've posted a sprite sheet for the lizard troop. The original file was a bmp. I also posted a zip with the extracted assets and the jar on the duke4 discord.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: cat_01.png

This post has been edited by mrDUKE!zone: 19 March 2018 - 01:11 AM

For some reason the files for the lizard troops are named "Cat_01" and "Cat_02" Hmmm.

User is offline   cybdmn 

The original game on Tapwave Zodiac is a rather simple game with short corridor maps. I have that game in my collection and played it a while ago, but never finished it.

View Postcybdmn, on 27 March 2018 - 06:37 AM, said:

The original game on Tapwave Zodiac is a rather simple game with short corridor maps. I have that game in my collection and played it a while ago, but never finished it.

I was going to get a Zodiac but after looking at the prices and considering you can only really get them in the US ehh.

to be honest, it's only really interesting cause we can't play it.

Would be interesting if someone could dump the assets from the Zodiac version though, from LGR's video they look to be of a much higher resolution than those of the mobile version.

Posted Image

View PostPhredreeke, on 05 April 2018 - 03:54 AM, said:

to be honest, it's only really interesting cause we can't play it.

Would be interesting if someone could dump the assets from the Zodiac version though, from LGR's video they look to be of a much higher resolution than those of the mobile version.

Posted Image

Nah. It's at the same res of the pc version. It's probably the screen and the camara that makes it look higher.

• Ancient Blood God

View PostPhredreeke, on 05 April 2018 - 03:54 AM, said:

https://forums.duke4...188#entry266188

Thanks, looks to me like they're just the original game's assets upscaled to fit in a tile that's a power of 2. Then there's this...

Posted Image

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostmrDUKE!zone, on 05 April 2018 - 03:12 AM, said:

I was going to get a Zodiac but after looking at the prices and considering you can only really get them in the US ehh.

Got mine from the states too, wasn't a big deal.

I mainly want to try and run the j2me version because It's a very strange port. It also seems to run on a different engine then the zodiac version.

Ok so i've sorta gotten it to work. The game loads up but the world is missing. It's all just black although you are able to fire the weapon that you start with and you get shot by invisible enemies but that's about it so far.

User is offline   LAW 

Hello.

I have had a few versions of this game and I have the one which works. I run this game on Nokia 808 phone which is Symbian Belle based. The smartphone version has a few levels less than a Zodiac version (no graveyard levels, no graveyard boss) and it has really, really low resolution. Compared to the Doom 2 RPG the game looks like a trash, while on the Zodiac it looked really neat. The green turret enemy is also missing from the smartphone version. One day I might release a playthrough video on Youtube.

Cheers

User is offline   Smikes 

I know I'm really late to the party, but I've got this fully working on a Windows 10 64-bit machine.

Which emulator to use
You can't use the classic KEmulator. Like mrDUKE!zone said, it doesn't seem to work very well. However, there is a more recent, modded version of KEmulator that you can find if you look really hard. Most sites list it as "KEmulator 1.0.3 modded." For some reason, you'll never find it if you just search for "KEmulator."
Link: http://www.mediafire..._modded.7z/file

I could be wrong, but it looks like this emulator doesn't work unless you install Java first. I'm not totally sure because I was trying absolutely everything to get this to work.

Game files
The game itself comes in the form of a JAR file (Java executable archive, which you can peek inside if you change the file extension to ZIP). There are multiple versions of the game on the Internet, but this one is made for a 352x416 screen resolution, which is higher than most:
Link: https://phoneky.com/...s/?id=j4j149032

How to launch the game like a noob
1. Launch KEmulator.exe
2. In the menu at the top of the interface, go under Midlet > Load jar > then select your JAR file

How to launch the game with a batch file
KEmulator supports a limited number of comannd-line parameters (listed under "Help" in the interface), so I launch it was a BAT file like this:
cd "D:\Games\Duke Nukem\Library\Duke Nukem Mobile\KEmulator 1.0.3 modded"
KEmulator.exe -jar "D:\Games\Duke Nukem\Library\Duke Nukem Mobile\Duke_Nukem_Mobile_3D_352x416.jar"

How to adjust the resolution
1. To avoid a screwy message that sometimes pops-up when you do this, start by going under View > Options > Core API > and tick the box next to "Ignore Canvas.setFullScreenMode(boolean)."
2. Go under View > Options > Custom and set the screen width and height to some multiple of the game's native resolution.
3. Go into the emulator's "property.txt" file and change the "CanvasScale" value to 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, etc. (without a % sign) such that it is the percentage by which you scaled the window resolution.
4. Close and re-open the emulator for the changes to take effect.

KEmulator uses the "property.txt" file in its directory as its config file. This file cannot be customized on a game-by-game basis, so (since I have multiple games) I added the following line of code to the top of my BAT file:
copy "D:\Games\Duke Nukem\Library\Duke Nukem Mobile\Mobile 3D settings.txt" "D:\Games\Duke Nukem\Library\Duke Nukem Mobile\KEmulator 1.0.3 modded\property.txt"

This lets me overwrite the config with a different config file that I've created for each of my games, and then I use a different BAT file to launch each game.

I hope someone else who is googling how to play this game discovers this thread and finds this useful ;)

User is offline   Smikes 

Two minor corrections/additions to the above:
1. Don't scale the window resolution under the "Custom" menu. Instead, set the height and width to the game's native resolution. All scaling should be done with the "CanvasScale" variable in the "property.txt" file, which only accepts multiples of 50 (percentage without a % sign).
2. You'll definitely want to go under View > Options > Custom > and then lower the max FPS. It plays pretty nicely at 20 FPS. If you leave it at the default setting (which is infinite FPS), then the enemies in the game can accelerate to light speed. XD

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options