Duke4.net Forums: Anyone interested in an album? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone interested in an album?

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

The regular Calibrations CDs are finally back in stock at CD Baby!

https://store.cdbaby.../cd/leejackson1

Still $12.99 for a disc, or $9.99 for a digital download!

This post has been edited by Lee Jackson: 16 April 2018 - 05:01 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

I had a chance to listen to this a couple of times last night (and also listening to it right now!), and I have to say well done, Lee! I thought the interview was quite interesting and gave a good perspective on why you named the album Calibrations, which makes quite a bit of sense. Beehive is a good opener and sure to be a favourite of many, and I also have to mention Spicewood too. It's just such a pleasant track and so easy to listen to, and I think you achieved what you set out to do. I must have played it for a good half an hour or so, it just worked that much for me. I also did like Pluck You, Part One as it reminded me of some of the moodier stuff from DN3D. Great stuff all around and I wish you the best of success with this album, and I hope that we have more to look forward to from you in the future! :P

• Composer

View PostMalgon, on 17 April 2018 - 02:50 AM, said:

I had a chance to listen to this a couple of times last night (and also listening to it right now!), and I have to say well done, Lee! I thought the interview was quite interesting and gave a good perspective on why you named the album Calibrations, which makes quite a bit of sense. Beehive is a good opener and sure to be a favourite of many, and I also have to mention Spicewood too. It's just such a pleasant track and so easy to listen to, and I think you achieved what you set out to do. I must have played it for a good half an hour or so, it just worked that much for me. I also did like Pluck You, Part One as it reminded me of some of the moodier stuff from DN3D. Great stuff all around and I wish you the best of success with this album, and I hope that we have more to look forward to from you in the future! :P

Thank you for the terrific review! I'm surprised that people are listening to the interview—I'm a terrible interviewee, IMHO. However, I'm extremely glad you enjoyed Spicewood. That song was a pouring out of emotions, and the fact that you listened to it for so long means a lot to me.

User is offline   Malgon 

You're welcome for the review! And thank you. :P

P.s. I thought you spoke quite well in the interview!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

My CD arrived two days ago. Picked it up yesterday at the post office. Luckily, info about the item was provided so I didn't have to go to the customs to open the box for them there. :P

Thanks a lot for this beautiful piece, Lee! It's gonna get a special place in my CD collection!

• Composer

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but sales of the CD have outright stopped. Can any of you suggest a web site that might be willing to do a review of the album or another forum that might not have got the word that the CD is out yet?

User is offline   Hank 

^ I'm sorry to hear that. My suggestion is
https://www.reverbnation.com/

They will review your music and what not, but as you can imagine, it is tough to break through.

Again, all the best, and as I always say, "The cream will rise to the top!" :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 30 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Advertisement was my biggest problem. After I released my first instrumental on iTunes/Bandcamp/CDBaby, the only people who bought it were my FB friends that I told about it and then nothing. Haven't seen a cent from iTunes or Amazon ever.

• Composer

View PostHank, on 30 April 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

^ I'm sorry to hear that. My suggestion is
https://www.reverbnation.com/

They will review your music and what not, but as you can imagine, it is tough to break through.

Again, all the best, and as I always say, "The cream will rise to the top!" :P

Thank you - I'll give that a look later today.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 May 2018 - 05:12 AM, said:

Advertisement was my biggest problem. After I released my first instrumental on iTunes/Bandcamp/CDBaby, the only people who bought it were my FB friends that I told about it and then nothing. Haven't seen a cent from iTunes or Amazon ever.

Not even from MP3 sales? That's disappointing. I'm sorry to hear that.

• Composer

I have another web site set up courtesy of CD Baby where you can preview tracks from the album. If you're interested, go here:

https://leejackson.hearnow.com

I hope this will spark some sales, since people can hear snippets before they buy.

User is offline   Mark 

A few days ago I ran across some full versions of the songs on Youtube. That might discourage some from buying because they got it free in fairly decent quality. Put out there by CDbaby according to the desription

This post has been edited by Mark.: 01 May 2018 - 06:59 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLee Jackson, on 01 May 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

Not even from MP3 sales? That's disappointing. I'm sorry to hear that.

Yeah. I got $30 or something via Bandcamp max because they give you the money from sales directly immediately upon payment (minus Bandcamp's cut). Never saw a cent from anywhere else. You really need an advertisement campaign. It really is the driving force behind big sales. Because you're just a grain of sand in a desert of people all releasing material. You have to stand out. I just don't have the time or energy or stamina to do something like that and I never had the money to outsource it. Of course, your name is much more widely known than mine of course, but yeah.

View PostMark., on 01 May 2018 - 06:55 AM, said:

A few days ago I ran across some full versions of the songs on Youtube. That might discourage some from buying because they got it free in fairly decent quality. Put out there by CDbaby according to the desription

CD Baby redirects the ad revenue to you, though. And anyone else who chooses to upload them to YouTube. It's a feature you enable via CD Baby when you set up your initial release.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I've seen reports of gameplay footage of World Tour triggering CD Baby's monetization. That might add up to something for you, Lee.

• Composer

View PostHendricks266, on 01 May 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

I've seen reports of gameplay footage of World Tour triggering CD Baby's monetization. That might add up to something for you, Lee.

I think it is. I'm starting to see micropayments from YouTube and from streaming services. I've also sold two more CDs. Still, I've barely broken the $110 mark (not including the Special Edition, which puts me roughly at break-even).

Calibrations is on Discogs now. Has anyone ever had experience with that?

Thank you for your continued support!

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I highly recommend to use spotify as an independent artist.

https://artists.spotify.com

Bandcamp and Reverbnation as well.

The more sites you use the better. I think having a personal branding and a marketing campaign in Facebook and Ad words would improve your sales, I can help with that if you are interested.

User is offline   Lunick 

Lee is already on Spotify :( https://open.spotify...0TPuTWDwHUuXtYA

• The Sarien Encounter

It's, again, part of CD Baby distribution.

User is offline   NNC 

What's you people's favourite track btw?

I go with Bullet Dam and Bridge Out. The former is a kickass version of Stalker and the latter has a great melody in the second half.

From the new tracks I really enjoy Fish Waltz. Still hope it to appear as a level song, or at least a barmusic type song in Duke. Probably with the Swiss Alps theme.

Question who owns City Streets song from Duke 3D?

User is offline   NNC 

View PostDuke Legacy, on 12 June 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Question who owns City Streets song from Duke 3D?

Bobby Prince was the author, but are there any legal problems with the track?

View PostNancsi, on 12 June 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

Bobby Prince was the author, but are there any legal problems with the track?

2 days ago I got copy right strike on a Duke Nukem mod that I did with MrRumbleRoses, Copyright strike by Audiam, I don't know who they are reason im asking is why they give me a copyright strike on what they don't own.

User is offline   Lunick 

Strike or Claim? Because I have had a claim with no negative effects:
Posted Image

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDuke Legacy, on 12 June 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

2 days ago I got copy right strike on a Duke Nukem mod that I did with MrRumbleRoses, Copyright strike by Audiam, I don't know who they are reason im asking is why they give me a copyright strike on what they don't own.

Never heard of them, so I checked

https://www.audiam.com/

Audiam is a Digital Reproduction Collection Agency

This post has been edited by Hank: 12 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Strike I don't know why they did it I make no money off my Duke Nukem videos wish I did but I don't.

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 13 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, a claim is not a strike. Two different things.

User is offline   M.C. Jammer 

• Richard Shead 2: Banned Harder

Well, this endeavor sure has my support. I would've added a vote the the opening post, but it said
"Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

But I can't wait to see where this thing goes.

• Composer

Well, here's an update.

It hasn't made a ton of money. Aside from the initial special edition sale through eBay, sales have been slow. The CD is available on Amazon (thanks, Terminix), but there hasn't been a single purchase from there.

My plans to submit Calibrations for a Grammy got blown out of the water when I came down super-sick during the last week of submission eligibility. I got an upper respiratory infection and a bone infection at the same time. For more on the latter, see my blog at https://dleejackson....idnt-picc-this/ .

For now, I'm hoping for the occasional sale to trickle in. I'm chalking it up to rookie mistakes and a zero advertising budget. For those of you who did buy the CD, you have my gratitude. Thank you.

User is offline   Hank 

Hate me if you must, but this may not be a good way on selling in a very competitive market.
Sample, revised post.

Here's an update, my loyal friends.

It succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. The CD is still available on Amazon (many thanks too the mighty Terminix), [link??].

For now, I'm working to learn on how to make it into the big leagues. Until such time, I would love to have your help. For those of you who bought the CD already, you have my gratitude. Thank you. Yet don't be afraid to spread the word, since, I'm unable to be full time in the promo biz, due to my health.

Love you all.

(Yes, complete exaggeration. When you are hurt and sick, things are very hard, but ... no one cares, they do care about good music :( )

This post has been edited by Hank: 21 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

• Composer

Much obliged. A major character flaw I have is that I'm too damned honest for my own good.

• Composer

If you want a chance to get a free copy of Calibrations and you live in the North Texas area, come to the Let's Play Gaming Expo tomorrow, Saturday July 27th. I'm going to be there as a guest of Jon St. John, and I'll have extra CDs to give away. I think Jon will do the actual giving away of discs. For those who don't win, I'll have business cards with the link on the back where you can buy the CD online. Jon will be signing autographs at 4pm in the Panel Room, and with any luck, I'll be in there with him. Please come out and join us!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options