Duke4.net Forums: Anyone interested in an album? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone interested in an album?

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

Currently under production at Disc Makers, hopefully to be released by the end of the month:

https://dleejackson....-secret-is-out/

User is offline   Lunick 

Gee, I hope the unheard music really kicksome butt, looking forward to hopefully getting a CD.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Awesome Lee! And congrats on your soon release! I will get this once it’s out!

Awesome! Count me in!

User is offline   NNC 

View PostLee Jackson, on 14 March 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

Currently under production at Disc Makers, hopefully to be released by the end of the month:

https://dleejackson....-secret-is-out/

Pushed the upvote button for this awesome news. You know, it's green! :)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

This is great, I love the Alien World Order soundtrack so listening to it as part of the album will be awesome. :) Thank you, Lee!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I saw you post this on social media a couple days ago. Nice!

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 March 2018 - 04:08 AM

• Composer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 March 2018 - 04:07 AM, said:

I saw you post this on social media a couple days ago. Nice!

Yep. Trying to spread the word to all the corners of the world. :)

Besides, the blog post is new.

This post has been edited by Lee Jackson: 15 March 2018 - 04:11 AM

• Composer

View PostLunick, on 14 March 2018 - 06:23 PM, said:

Gee, I hope the unheard music really kicksome butt, looking forward to hopefully getting a CD.

With the "self-publishing" package I've got, I think the only place you'll be able to buy a physical CD will be from CD Baby (https://store.cdbaby.com). Spread the word,

Oh, HELL yes! I still blast Grabbag and Havana Smooth whenever I get a chance....your music is timeless! :)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Looking forward to it, Lee.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Where can I find a pre-order button? That's all I want to know.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostLee Jackson, on 15 March 2018 - 04:17 AM, said:

With the "self-publishing" package I've got, I think the only place you'll be able to buy a physical CD will be from CD Baby (https://store.cdbaby.com). Spread the word,

I guess 6-8 USD for shipping is not bad, I'd like to see what the three unreleased tracks are though and if Midi files will be released :)

• Composer

View PostLunick, on 16 March 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

I guess 6-8 USD for shipping is not bad, I'd like to see what the three unreleased tracks are though and if Midi files will be released :)

The songs are much to complex for MIDI files to be released. I could release a file, but you'd need a Roland SC-88Pro, a Kawai K5000R, a copy of Native Instruments Komplete 11, several sound libraries for Komplete's Kontakt player, and numerous effects from Waves, Softube, and SONAR in order for it to play anything that sounds much like the original songs.

The days of releasing MIDI files are over. Those days depended on one MIDI file driving one MIDI instrument. As you can see from the above, I'm driving numerous instruments from different manufacturers, plus automating compressors, reverb units, echo units, and other effects. The files aren't even called MIDI files anymore. In my music composition software, SONAR Platinum, the files use a .CWP extension instead of a .MID extension. (CWP standing for "Cakewalk Project," I assume, based on the original name of the software from long ago.) If I released that, you'd have to have a copy of everything listed above AND a copy of SONAR Platinum to play it.

I wish I could release a MIDI file, and I'm sorry that I can't, but as I said above, I'll repeat here: the days of releasing MIDI files are over.

Nice!

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLee Jackson, on 17 March 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

In my music composition software, SONAR Platinum, the files use a .CWP extension instead of a .MID extension. (CWP standing for "Cakewalk Project," I assume, based on the original name of the software from long ago.)

Cheers from a fellow Sonar Platinum user. :)

And yes, MIDI means something entirely different today than it used to. MIDI is used in pretty much everything nowadays. Even realistic orchestras. It's a means to utilize synthesizers and plugins to be digitally recorded and not a universal format that can play on anything.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I admire composers who still release their work in the form of midi files these days. Jimmy Paddock who created the custom soundtrack for the Duke DC addon is one of the few I know who is still working like that - and great at it.

Anyway, I loved Lee's new tracks for World Tour, as well as his "definitive" versions he made for the classic four Duke3D episodes. If the CD features similar quality, and I hardly doubt it, it's pretty much a must-buy.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 March 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

It's a means to utilize synthesizers and plugins to be digitally recorded and not a universal format that can play on anything.

MIDI is music notation, and its beauty is that you can play it in anything. The reason we're asking for the MIDIs to be released is to get the correct notation for fan song-recreations and covers.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostDaedolon, on 18 March 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

MIDI is music notation, and its beauty is that you can play it in anything. The reason we're asking for the MIDIs to be released is to get the correct notation for fan song-recreations and covers.

MIDI notation can be played on anything but not accurately. Synths and plugins all accept far different MIDI commands than what the General MIDI standard supports to control various aspects of the synth's sound. Many of them don't have a General MIDI equivalents. They're entirely unique between each device. The same goes for instruments, obviously (there's only 128). Then there's effects which is a missing feature entirely (unless you count Chorus and Reverb effects which are technically GS, extremely limited, and not supported in all GM devices). You're asking Lee to condense ALL that music down to a 16-channel, 128-instrument (16 at a time), 2-effect (maybe) ancient file format. That's a lot of work. At least as much as creating the album in its current form. It's untenable, unreasonable, and unrealistic. If he were to do that it'd be pretty cool. But I wouldn't expect it in a million years. It's not just as simple as getting the music notation.

Why are we expecting Lee to make ancient variations of his music just because he wrote some MIDIs for video games back in the day anyway?

I’ll be sure to pick this up as soon as it drops! Looking forward to it.

• Ancient Blood God

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 March 2018 - 04:32 AM, said:

I have never once specified "General MIDI" like you're implying here.

• The Sarien Encounter

What are you asking for? His Sonar project source files? That's even more unreasonable.

This is all beside the point which is why are we asking Lee for MIDI files when we would never ask for MIDI files (project sources or converted MIDIs) from anyone else? Because he worked with game MIDIs back in 1996? He's releasing a personal work. It's kind of out of form (not to mention out of touch) to ask for source files like that.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

He's asking, because he wants to know the notation so he can make some remixes and/or covers. Remember that MIDI is essentially musical notation in a digital format, so it's very good for this purpose in particular, especially if you want to understand a piece of music by looking at how it's put together. He isn't asking for the sake of playing these MIDIs or using them in a mod or anything.

It's kind of like asking for sheet music or guitar tabs.

This post has been edited by Striker: 19 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, I get it. My issue is with having the gall to just ask for it like it's something perfectly reasonable. That's like giving away your music for free. I can understand asking privately saying "Hey, Lee. Big fan of your work and I'm getting your new album. I was just wondering, since I'm a musician and like to remix work I respect, if you'd be willing to share some of your source files so I can cover it?" But this all started with a very public and very brazen (in my opinion) for straight up just his MIDI files like there's nothing wrong with it. It's not like guitar tabs or sheet music at all. But again, it's beside the point. Why are we asking Lee for his source files when nobody else ever asks that of any other artists anywhere?

Anyway, I don't want to drag this on in Lee's announcement thread. We can have another discussion about music etiquette in another thread.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

• Composer

If you haven't already seen it, the release date for Calibrations will be announced on the Wednesday, March 21st episode of "The Cyber Den," hosted by Jake "The Voice" Parr on Siren Radio (http://www.sirenonline.co.uk/) in the U.K. at 10:00 a.m. GMT. For the United States, that time translates to 6am EDT, 5am CDT, 4am MDT, and 3am PDT. Australian listeners on the east coast, that time will be 9pm AEDT. Jake says to click on the "LISTEN" button on the top right side of the screen.

The announcement will be made right at the beginning of the show, so if you can stay up late (or get up early) to hear the show, listen right at the beginning or you'll miss it. There will also be another announcement to go along with the release date. Lots of big news tomorrow!

• The Sarien Encounter

Looking forward to it!

User is offline   Lunick 

According to Jake the Voice, the 3 other tracks are called Beehive, Fish Waltz and Spicewood.

• Ancient Blood God

View PostLee Jackson, on 17 March 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

the days of releasing MIDI files are over.

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the off-topic.

I'm really excited for the album, gonna be up all day to make sure I can grab one.

Congrats, Mr. Jackson! I really want to thank you, first of all, for having written some of the finest music in gaming history. I still listen to the MIDIs from Duke Nukem 3D. I found a player for Android (MIDIClef) lol I'll definitely be checking that out once it releases, believe you me! I know it's a far outdated format for music, but it's sad that MIDI has all but shuffled off this mortal coil as it were. I still have a fairly sizable (well, to my mind lol) library of MIDI music.

• Composer

For anyone who didn't hear the show (sorry for the technical trouble in the first hour), the release date is Friday, March 30th! I've written about it in my blog here: https://dleejackson....se-date-is-out/

I've also asked a question in my blog. Let me quote it here:

"Due to a misunderstanding in the original ordering process, I’m going to have ten discs in my possession instead of in the warehouse. Would you be interested in buying a signed, numbered copy of one of these ten for $50? I’d never have any more signed and numbered CDs made available. Once these ten are gone, that’s it."

I'll also include a brief personalized greeting, depending on how much cover space I've got. Would anyone here be interested?

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options