Duke4.net Forums: Sebabdukeboss20 Enemies Ready for EDuke32 Projects - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sebabdukeboss20 Enemies Ready for EDuke32 Projects

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The Cyber Enforcer boss is almost done. Just a few tweaks and I will upload it along with a somewhat improved pigcop boss. EDIT: I think he works better in a more open arena environment, like stadium, especially when there is a high ceiling. I'll probably make him less jumpy.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 02 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

User is offline   XThX2 

Now you're just showing off. That's just fantastic as a boss man. 10/10!

EDIT: Gotta say also, that mine poop is a great nod to the lizman...

This post has been edited by XThX2: 02 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

The Cyber Enforcer is done! I have updated the first post in this thread with a new download link. It now includes both new bosses. I'll put the link here as well: https://www.dropbox....BOSSES.zip?dl=0

The LIZBOSS is tile 5185. It supports pal variants, but stayput is not supported at this time. I made a few tweaks to it since the video I posted, including a new jetpack flying frame by sebabdukeboss20.

The Pigcop Boss has also been updated. Some bad pixels were fixed in the firing animation, he now uses the stomp, and he has a new type of mortar for long range.

I would appreciate it if anyone would like to play around with these and report back. There may be bugs and things that need improvement.

User is online   Jblade 

Just checked them out - really nice stuff! Only few tweaks I could think of making (beyond maybe changing some projectiles to other things I have in the TC) would be maybe making the big pig boss' pipe make the BIGDOORSLAM sound (maybe pitched up a bit) but that's really minor stuff. They're fun to fight, the lizard boss being the better of the two due to its' flying behaviour.

User is offline   Jolteon 

I've played around with these two bosses a bit, and they are both awesome. Although I do like the Cyber Enforcer a lot more, but the Pig Boss is cool on his own as well. They are a nice addition to the game, and their attacks are pretty cool (Gotta love the Cyber Enforcer pooping the mines :dukecigar: ).

There is a bug that I do like to report. Apparently when you shrink these bosses, you can pull a Lizard Trooper with them. Meaning when you hurt them while they are small, they might attack you despite their small size.

Attached Image: duke0001.png Attached Image: duke0002.png Attached Image: duke0003.png
Attached Image: duke0008.png Attached Image: duke0009.png

Anyways great work! These guys are awesome! :)

User is offline   Poorchop 

This is amazing. Great attacks, sounds, animations - the whole nine yards. This would be an incredible asset for mappers.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJolteon, on 03 February 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

There is a bug that I do like to report. Apparently when you shrink these bosses, you can pull a Lizard Trooper with them. Meaning when you hurt them while they are small, they might attack you despite their small size.

Thank you! That bug should be fixed now if you download again from the same link.

User is offline   RPD Guy 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 02 February 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

The Cyber Enforcer boss is almost done. Just a few tweaks and I will upload it along with a somewhat improved pigcop boss. EDIT: I think he works better in a more open arena environment, like stadium, especially when there is a high ceiling. I'll probably make him less jumpy.

Awesome.

User is offline   Merlijn 

View PostPoorchop, on 03 February 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

This is amazing. Great attacks, sounds, animations - the whole nine yards. This would be an incredible asset for mappers.

I concur! Just tried out both bosses and it's great work all around! I also like the cyber enforcer the most (sorry for being boring haha).
The shitmines and the flying attack just make the fights stand out even more.

I'm toying with the idea of using them in my next map, if that's ok. :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 08 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMerlijn, on 08 February 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

I concur! Just tried out both bosses and it's great work all around! I also like the cyber enforcer the most (sorry for being boring haha).
The shitmines and the flying attack just make the fights stand out even more.

I'm toying with the idea of using them in my next map, if that's ok. :dukecigar:

I'm pretty sure sebabdukeboss20 intended them as community assets, and I'm providing code in the same spirit. I think there will be several different projects that end up using them, and that's fine -- there's no surprise factor or need to be first, I see them as new characters that can be used by anyone at any time. The only thing I would caution you about is that there are more to come, and I will continue to make small revisions to the ones already released as that process unfolds. There may even be art revisions -- so you'll want to use whatever the latest version is at the time of your map release.

EDIT: Also, I'm aware of the cyber-enforcer behavior being more fun and original, but I also think it requires relatively open environments with high ceilings to be used successfully. The pigcop boss/miniboss is more versatile, so it has a lot of utility even if it's not as exciting.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 08 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Cool! Of course I'll keep in touch and check this thread if I'm going to use them.

In addition to being more versatile, I also think the pig boss is a bit more challenging/tougher to fight.
At least I died more often trying to beat it.

• Duke Plus Developer

I have updated the dropbox file: https://www.dropbox....BOSSES.zip?dl=0

We now have LIZRANGER, the female alien sniper, who is tile 5270 for regular and 5271 for stayput.

Other actors have a few minor updates, including art revisions on a few frames.

LIZRANGER notes:

The lizard ranger, or "Lizmila", is an ordinary mid-tier enemy that can be placed anywhere, but is especially effective at longer ranges. At 70, her health is lower than a pigcop or enforcer and she will go down with one well-placed shotgun blast; but she has substantially more health than her male counterpart the lizard trooper (although only slightly more than the pal 21 lizard trooper).

Her shot does a good chunk of damage (30-40) and is almost guaranteed to hit if she has a clean line of sight to the player and he is standing still. However, she telegraphs her shots by making a cocking sound and standing or crouching still for about half a second before firing. She can move and dodge quickly, but will stop running and check for an opportunity to shoot frequently. She also has a push kick to get the player out of her face if he gets too close -- it does the same damage as Duke's mighty boot. Because of her relatively high damage and very high range and accuracy, Lizmila is extremely dangerous to unaware players. Also, because her shot is accompanied by a large number of trail sprites, it is recommended that she be used in small numbers (more than two at a time is pushing it). Too many Lizmilas at once and you will end up with a lot of trail sprites not getting rendered and a very annoyed player as he is turned to swiss cheese.

• Duke Plus Developer

Oh and here's a little video showing the new enemy (I apologize for the shitty quality, I don't have a good setup for videos):

You don't really hear the alien sounds in this video, but they exist. In a later version there will be a rifle that drops on the ground and can be picked up and used.

Fun stuff (y)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.png
  • Attached Image: duke0002.png
  • Attached Image: duke0006.png
  • Attached Image: duke0007.png

User is offline   MrFlibble 

This is some amazing stuff. Would be cool if this all ended up in a community add-on for the game.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMrFlibble, on 10 February 2018 - 01:39 AM, said:

This is some amazing stuff. Would be cool if this all ended up in a community add-on for the game.

It already is? But if you mean packaged with maps that use the new characters, then yes I'm sure that will happen.

• Duke Plus Developer

Early animation test for armored pig. This guy takes up about 140 tiles total. A masterpiece by sebabdukeboss20

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 February 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

Early animation test for armored pig. This guy takes up about 140 tiles total. A masterpiece by sebabdukeboss20

where i can found complete sprites sheet for this enemy?

User is offline   necroslut 

Amazingly high quality - both art and code. Would have been nice if we got as good stuff in World Tour.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 February 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

This enemy definitely needs a full set of 8 rotations instead of 5. Otherwise, not only will the shield and the gun change hands, but the EDF text will be backwards, which is extremely noticeable.

Otherwise it's one of the best sets yet.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 10 February 2018 - 06:15 AM

User is online   Jblade 

None of the other Duke monsters have 8 rotations, I don't think we need to give sebabduke more work in this instance.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 10 February 2018 - 06:24 AM

View PostJblade, on 10 February 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

None of the other Duke monsters have 8 rotations, I don't think we need to give sebabduke more work in this instance.

Agreed---besides, the EDF letters facing the wrong way may be like how "AMBULANCE" is written backwards on the hoods of ambulances, so you see it clearly in the rear-view mirror.

(Probably not, but it's a possibility....)

View PostJblade, on 10 February 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

I know that that is the case, and I don't think it's necessary to do that for every monster that has slight asymmetries. With the cyber enforcer and the sniper, which both do show the same effect, I don't think it's that noticeable.

But in this case, the shield takes up a very large portion of the sprite and has text written on it, hence the mirroring becomes very obvious.
At the end of the day, I'm just giving suggestions on how to improve on it.

Well, the armored pig has a lots of frames, but for the shield only frames is just for walking, so I think I can do a few more. It it's only like 8 frames. I won't be able to get to it until Monday though.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 10 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 10 February 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

Well, the armored pig has a lots of frames, but for the shield only frames is just for walking, so I think I can do a few more. It it's only like 8 frames. I won't be able to get to it until Monday though.

Well that kind of sucks. I'll have to delete the entire .art file and put everything back in.

Also, it's not just walking: walking with undamaged shield, walking with damaged shield, shooting with undamaged shield, and shooting with damaged shield.

EDIT: That sounded more negative than it should have. It's mainly disappointment at the fact that I was going to start coding it this weekend, but if the art needs to be changed then it would make more sense to wait.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 10 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

User is offline   Mere_Duke 

Oh, this is amazing stuff. I want to face them somewhere sometime, just need to know who will be using them.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMere_Duke, on 10 February 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

Oh, this is amazing stuff. I want to face them somewhere sometime, just need to know who will be using them.

Be patient. There are plans. Development is proceeding at a good, sustainable pace.

That's a very great work !

Those enemies would 100% fit a mod like Attrition (and the old WMD), but also AMC TC. Also, my KickAss Duke will feature an enemy pack in one of its updates, so i think i'll have to chose among these, too :dukecigar:

Is anybody mapping for this?

User is offline   stumppy84 

I hope we see these in the DNF 2013 update!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options