Duke4.net Forums: NPC girl sprites - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NPC girl sprites

Wow that is seriously awesome to see! It's giving me more ideas for the girls.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

sebabdukeboss20, on 06 February 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Wow that is seriously awesome to see! It's giving me more ideas for the girls.

Ideas for animations:

Sitting
Talking
Kicking to the nuts (could be used on aliens or on Duke)

These would all require all the angles, not just front facing

Why don't make the walking version of the dancing strippers from the game adding a mechanic for which they stop dancing and runs around scared when the situation is dangerous, and possibly also one where they come back to work as nobody shoots anymore?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Fantinaikos, on 06 February 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Why don't make the walking version of the dancing strippers from the game adding a mechanic for which they stop dancing and runs around scared when the situation is dangerous, and possibly also one where they come back to work as nobody shoots anymore?

Adding new animations to the existing characters is not a bad idea. I'm guessing it would be hard to make the new animations match the old sprites, though. It might be easier to make new strippers from scratch that don't look exactly like the old ones.

I'd also like to see a normal looking guy NPC, though. Then it would be possible to have levels that start to resemble real, living urban areas. IIRC the only high quality animated male civilian for Duke is one that Gambini made for the DNF TC.

Fantinaikos, on 06 February 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

I definitely thought about that. Believe me :dukecigar:. The problem though is a few things:

-All the babes in the game are different resolutions and/or don't have a consistent look. Some look like magazine pictures while others look drawn from scratch. The default stripper with the tassles is very smaller resolution compared to the NPC girl I made. Not sure what happens with coding there when there's a sudden switch in sprites.
-Proportions. I took me a while to figure it out but the human body proportions in ingame girls are exaggerated (bigger heads, boobs, wider curves) and that's a little hard to do in 3d.
-Matching lighting. Getting the 3d lighting to match up to the sprite's "lighting" is usually an exercise in futility. I can photoshop to get it closer, but it's very time consuming especially for several angles/frames.

The strippers in particular, I love the idea of making an animated version, but making a 3d model look like the sprite won't work, or is just way too much work to get it right. But I could possibly make an entirely new stripper from the ground up using my NPC model like Trooper Dan said. I'm kind of liking that idea. I'll definitely try some tests. And if it goes well, I could probably explore new dancing positions along with all angles, etc. That would be pretty awesome actually. :)

Since you brought it up, here are some examples for the slime babe animations I've been working on:

NSFW

Spoiler

As you can see, I find it hard to try to match the original sprite. Drawing on top of the 3d rendered girl is very labor intensive for me. Just doing these few frames took a long time and I'm personally not satisfied with them. But if any of you can find a use for these, I can continue developing or at the very least finish their walking/running animations.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 06 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

Have you seen some of the unused fem frames from Duke 64.

https://tcrf.net/Duk...Unused_Graphics

-=SomeThingEviL=-, on 06 February 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

Have you seen some of the unused fem frames from Duke 64.

https://tcrf.net/Duk...Unused_Graphics

Yes. That's how I got the pods alone.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I don't know if this would have any influence on what you want to do, but personally I feel that having the freed babe walking around and acting normal would not be consistent with the theme and backstory. I've always assumed that they had been impregnated with aliens and were near death, their bodies kept alive only to incubate the baby aliens and perhaps provide the babies with food. The freed babe should be stumbling around and vomiting, and then a premature alien should erupt violently out of her body after a minute or two. The babes don't need Duke's guns and one-liners, what they need is a medical miracle.

Trooper Dan, on 06 February 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

I don't know if this would have any influence on what you want to do, but personally I feel that having the freed babe walking around and acting normal would not be consistent with the theme and backstory. I've always assumed that they had been impregnated with aliens and were near death, their bodies kept alive only to incubate the baby aliens and perhaps provide the babies with food. The freed babe should be stumbling around and vomiting, and then a premature alien should erupt violently out of her body after a minute or two. The babes don't need Duke's guns and one-liners, what they need is a medical miracle.

I kind of agree. The idea of a free roaming babe after released from the slime doesn't sound right to me either. Maybe she simply disappears/fades away after being released like Duke 64.

Trooper Dan, on 06 February 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

The FEMCON mod sort of had an "in-story" allowance for that: freed babes were transported instantly to the medical cruiser Ryan's Hope, where they underwent instant medical treatment and such (there was an exposition dump about how they were scanned to determine if their insurance covered it, as well, but I forget the details).

Well, here's a thought. Maybe the freed girl could either have a chance to be teleported away or crunch her stomach and then explode into some random enemy. Is it worth drawing her exploding? Initially, I think here crouching over and holding her stomach and maybe 1 or 2 frames of her swelling should be enough (personally I don't want to spend too much time drawing an exploding woman).

As far as it is questionable, the intro from "The Birth" episode clarifies enough that a pregnant woman that explodes in gorefest giving the world a beast it's not a problem for the game standard. Therefore you could do what you want if you start from this assumption.

On a semi-related note, if you wanted to go the "Hunter/Killer" route from Land of the Babes and have some of them turn out to be killer gynoids (the "proper" term for humanoid female robot---a discussion for another topic entirely :dukecigar: ), that would also be interesting---imagine Duke walking up to a free-roaming female NPC, doing his usual schtick and then her eyes start glowing and one hand turns into a laser cannon.....

User is offline   necroslut 

Major Tom, on 07 February 2018 - 06:13 AM, said:

The FEMCON mod sort of had an "in-story" allowance for that: freed babes were transported instantly to the medical cruiser Ryan's Hope, where they underwent instant medical treatment and such (there was an exposition dump about how they were scanned to determine if their insurance covered it, as well, but I forget the details).

I never really bought the idea of teleporting women away, since the EDF doesn't really seem to have that technology. The aliens can teleport in and out, but humans seem to only have teleporting between fixed teleporters.

necroslut, on 07 February 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

I never really bought the idea of teleporting women away, since the EDF doesn't really seem to have that technology. The aliens can teleport in and out, but humans seem to only have teleporting between fixed teleporters.

It's one of those "suspension of disbelief" kinds of things---I mean, in the AMC Squad TC, they've got powered armor, a city on the freaking moon and the ability to instantaneously carve out new wings of their underground base, so portable and affordable point-to-point teleporters for human beings wouldn't be THAT far out of the question. Hell, the EDF has Shrink Ray/Expander technology and the Freezethrower---I don't think "micro teleportation coils" are a thing that they wouldn't be able to pull off.

I'm not trying to shoot holes in your theory or anything---they never used teleportation to just instantly send Duke somewhere in the game, after all---but I personally think it's an oversight from the developers.

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 07 February 2018 - 07:32 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

Major Tom, on 07 February 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

It's one of those "suspension of disbelief" kinds of things---I mean, in the AMC Squad TC, they've got powered armor, a city on the freaking moon and the ability to instantaneously carve out new wings of their underground base, so portable and affordable point-to-point teleporters for human beings wouldn't be THAT far out of the question. Hell, the EDF has Shrink Ray/Expander technology and the Freezethrower---I don't think "micro teleportation coils" are a thing that they wouldn't be able to pull off.

I'm not trying to shoot holes in your theory or anything---they never used teleportation to just instantly send Duke somewhere in the game, after all---but I personally think it's an oversight from the developers.

If it's an oversight, then it's one they were pretty consistent with in all in-house/canon Duke games. What was done in mods doesn't really matter.

User is offline   Mark 

sebabdukeboss20, on 07 February 2018 - 06:42 AM, said:

Well, here's a thought. Maybe the freed girl could either have a chance to be teleported away or crunch her stomach and then explode into some random enemy. Is it worth drawing her exploding? Initially, I think here crouching over and holding her stomach and maybe 1 or 2 frames of her swelling should be enough (personally I don't want to spend too much time drawing an exploding woman).

This is just a quick, sloppy example to show a possibly easy way to make the woman split and birth a monster. I chose the civ npc because its all I had laying around for a sprite. The monster and blood splatter were the first 2 assets I ran across and not ideal. I traced around the upper half of the squatting girl, rotated and moved it down to simulate a splitting in half. Then I pasted in some zombie head :dukecigar: and blood splatter. You could stretch the anim out to 3 frames for better detail. The con code would produce regular blood jibs instead of my splatter, change to the dead girl sprite, and spawn the new monster that came out of her.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: SPLITGIRL.png

This post has been edited by Mark.: 07 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

User is offline   jet_nick 

i ve founded this concept art, they are some girl character in Land of Babes,
there is also the concept art of a female drone

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by jet_nick: 07 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

I once made a fem sprite that exploded and baby Octabrains come out.

I went through the trouble of hunting it down and made a little video of it.

https://youtu.be/-pcfO_CgWD8

-=SomeThingEviL=-, on 07 February 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

I once made a fem sprite that exploded and baby Octabrains come out.

I went through the trouble of hunting it down and made a little video of it.

https://youtu.be/-pcfO_CgWD8

Wow, that was pretty graphic. Very good though.

For my NPC girls, I think I'll probably have a few inflated stomach frames and then it would explode into a particle mess with no trace of the girl left. I personally really don't like the idea 1/2 girl corpses and body parts left.

Basically It will act as an ambulant Protozoid Slimer egg with more animations, you can even use the same Hatching sound (slhtch01.voc).

Talking about Protozoid Slimer I think you could utilize your one-eye protozoid slimer as the product of the birth, a new generation that acquired the ability to control the mind (much like Half-life's Headcrab or his incarnation in the DNF 2013 mod) instead of mere brain sucking. Then someone should code a control losing situation for the player in case you are attacked by one, something like "Press X button to remove this thing from your head!"

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 07 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

Here's the updated NPC Girl #1 in 3 sets

Clothed
Attached Image: girl1cloth.png
Undies
Attached Image: girl1bikini.png
and Naked NSFW
Spoiler

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

This is extremely immature of me but... maybe exposure to the freezer ruins clothing, so if she gets frozen and thaws, she is naked.

Trooper Dan, on 07 February 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

This is extremely immature of me but... maybe exposure to the freezer ruins clothing, so if she gets frozen and thaws, she is naked.

Hehe. Well you could code that if you want. But then I'll need to make "shiver" walking poses. :dukecigar:

BTW I started working on a stripper NPC last night. I kind of like what I have so far. This is what I'm thinking:
Currently she has all the default frames of the NPC girl. But she also has the usual stripper dance, but at all angles (all 8 views, no flipped shots).
I will work on doing the exposed tassles, but it will only be forward facing as exposing herself in the other 7 angles seems odd.
I will also include the rear stripper pole dance pose. And maybe a few other dances (I can use suggestions/references. PM me if necessary)
I'm not sure how complicated this is but it would be cool if you give her money she changes her dance every time or maybe even follow the player.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 08 February 2018 - 06:46 AM

If you need related NSFW sources the ReaperMan XXX Pack could help.

http://www.duke4.org.../duke3d_xxx.zip

Apologies for being late to comment on the latest three sprite sheets---EPIC work, as per usual! Hopefully, we see a rise in DN3D mods using NPCs based on this---and despite my preference for rescuing the babes (if anyone wants to debate the topic with me, we can do so via polite private messages), the idea of some of them being too far gone is....intriguing, to say the least.

I've played a select few DN3D mods before now that have had NPCs---Grins of Divinity, The AMC TC and at least two others (possibly more) spring to mind, and I know there are other mods out there that use them. Hopefully, with your work leading the way, NPCs will be more common in DN3D mods in the years to come. :dukecigar:

User is offline   Mark 

Having done voices for a few projects already, I highly recommend people trying to record some yourself. Its lots of fun. So if you have a mic sitting in a closet somewhere, blow the dust off of it and start recording. Or at least think of and write down some possible dialogue for the NPCs and ask for someone to do your voices. I'm sure you will get a few people willing to help.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 08 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

I have a question. How does changing colors work for in game sprites? I know the default for sprites is that cloudy blue. If I was to make an NPC girl with a blue shirt but a hair color that is also changeable, what color could work? Red? Green? I would like it so that modders don't have to stick with brunettes and beg for me to make a specific variant.

This is the palette listing and the different effects depending on the settings. Should work both for sprite and highres contents.

palette swaps

Palette data file documentation

http://wiki.eduke32....ette_data_files

In some cases the base color is blue. For ex: use pal 15 to turn blue into brown.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 08 February 2018 - 11:13 AM
Reason for edit: fixed a broken link

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options