Duke4.net Forums: Hollywood Reporter: John Cena in Talks to Star in Duke Nukem - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollywood Reporter: John Cena in Talks to Star in Duke Nukem

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Here's a snippet from an interview with John Cena, seems like he's into it but also cautious:

Screen Rant: Video game movies are on the rise again. Tomb Raider is coming out. Duke Nukem is something you’ve been attached to and you look like Duke Nukem.

John Cena: I think that’s the direct attachment and I’m very honored to be attached to that but that is a very fragile franchise. That was one that was very timeline specific, that is 1990s to the hilt. So, once again, it reflects upon story. The story has to come in dead-on balls, man. Like it has to come in told correct, told in a palatable sense for this generation, which you’re walking on eggshells…you can’t not be Duke Nukem, but you can’t make the wrong move…so I’m…what a blessing to be attached to that, a name like that, and I just hope development does the franchise justice.

https://screenrant.c...n-cena-details/

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'd love if they could get original pick for graves. Sam Elliot.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Wow he surrendered quick.
Posted Image

Yeah Jon's got every reason to be sad, if this movie ends up being a success, he's totally going to loose the roll to Cena, I mean we all know Angelina Jolie took over the voice of Lara after the Tomb Raider movie took off right?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Here's what I'd love to see happen: an alternate audio track for the movie's Blu-ray release where JSJ is doing "Cena Duke's" voice. :P

And a cameo role in the movie, of course.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 28 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

I'd dig a commentary track where Jon St John, as Duke Nukem the game character, comments on the movie. That'd be worth 25 bucks and then some!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Oh yeah, a commentary track where JSJ is playing the real Duke with a kind of "who the fuck is this guy?" attitude towards Cena would be awesome. :P

Cena's aped the Duke look before:

Posted Image

The haircut may not match perfectly, but still.

I'm....open to the idea. Not 100% optimistic, but not "this will destroy the character"-levels of doom and gloom, either. If the film gets a good director and a good script, it can be done---hell, Michael Bay's involvement means we'll at least get a good action flick out of it, hopefully.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Does some peoples insinuate that Duke Nukem only find its way to the generations X and Y ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 29 March 2018 - 07:56 AM

• Judge Mental

This is a video clip I made for JSJ when the news was first breaking wide that Cena might actually be taking on the reigns. I thought Jon St John might actually make use of it, but the #Fight4Duke thing didn't make it very far.

View PostxMobilemux, on 28 March 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

Wow he surrendered quick.
Posted Image

Yeah Jon's got every reason to be sad, if this movie ends up being a success, he's totally going to loose the roll to Cena, I mean we all know Angelina Jolie took over the voice of Lara after the Tomb Raider movie took off right?

I saved a copy of that picture to my imgur and linked to it in the video above.

View Postgemeaux333, on 29 March 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Does some peoples insinuate that Duke Nukem only find its way to the generations X and Y ?

A lot of people believe that Duke is a relic of the past. Some believe he should stay there too, yes.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 31 March 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

A lot of people believe that (insert here) is a relic of the past.

Generally that's a sign there is a HUGE opportunity waiting for someone with the guts to enter.

Although it is a very early moment for the point I wanna make, the french dubber for Duke Nukem/ John Cena in the french version of the movie should be Daniel Beretta, just like in Duke Nukem Forever !

User is offline   razgriz 

I'm hoping it does get made.

I'm thinking a mix of Last Action Hero and Deadpool.

Remind me this :

Anyway, in present days, no-body should be surprise that a project like that (or anything comming close in size) take years to be made...
... as Winona Ryder said (in substance) : "In present days, on high budget super zeros movies happen quickly !"

Given what happened to Cena at WrestleMania last night (not going to post the results of his match for anyone who hasn't seen it yet), I'm pretty sure he's going to be "taking a break from the ring" soonish.

Hopefully, the next time we see him, he's got the Duke look down to a T. :P

User is offline   HulkNukem 

He's been taking breaks from wrestling for a while now and has been in more and more movies.
It'll be interesting to see how everything happens if this eventually comes out:

• If Cena stays as Duke Nukem, will he nail it? I think he will
  • Will the movie be R rated
  • There is no way in hell Cena will ever become a 'bad guy' in wrestling; with how many make a wishes he grants, turning into a bad guy and upsetting a crap ton of kids is not going to happen. So I am very interested to see how the public reaction is when he's the star in an R rated movie (he's done cameos for R rated movies and even made an explicit rap album, although that was before he turned into the modern day Hulk Hogan)
  • If the movie will even be enjoyable. It's not going to be great, thats a given, but as long as its enjoyable its a win.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 09 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

• Judge Mental

Haha. Well be lucky if it's in the "not miserable" scenario.

This isn't a Ryan Reynolds situation where there was someone clearly fighting for a clear focused vision. This is an attempt at a cash grab.

More of Last Action Hero :

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Best scene from that movie:

Schwartzenegger revisiting Hamlet...

• Judge Mental

View PostZaxx, on 12 April 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

Best scene from that movie:

The context for the scene is perfect too. It's exactly the kind of thing a kid with his interest would be day dreaming.

User is online   Mark 

After watching Deadpool 2 I'm more convinced now that Josh Brolin, Cable in the movie, could make a great middle aged Duke character.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: josh.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 August 2018 - 06:05 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

Dolph would still be the perfect Duke.

User is online   Mark 

Maybe up to 8-10 years ago. He's too old now unless its a cameo appearance as Grandpa Duke at the old age home fighting 1 on 1 with a single alien, kicks it's ass, then dies from a heart attack. Or alternate ending, he calls for a nurse because its time for his sponge bath.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

His accent throws it way off. Doesn't have the voice of Duke which is paramount.

User is online   Mark 

I'm realistic. No popular actor is going to duplicate the voice of JSJ doing Duke. Just like with the looks, I'm willing to give some leeway for the voice too. Close is good enough for me if the movie is well made.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think John Cena can pull it off.

User is online   Mark 

So do I. BTW, maybe Dolph had an accent years ago, but I don't detect one after listening to him in this video for about a minute. I also watched a recent workout video. For a man of 60 he's still looking fit. Not muscled for a DN movie but still looking good.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

User is offline   NukeDukem 

Cena is way too cheesy and not very believable with his comedic delivery to be Duke. I say leave well enough alone and not make a movie at all. It would've been cool back in the 90s but I feel at this point it's useless and would probably bomb.

User is offline   Master O 

Why would John Cena accept this role? I'm not seeing his logic here. I mean outside of financial ones...

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options