Duke4.net Forums: Hollywood Reporter: John Cena in Talks to Star in Duke Nukem - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollywood Reporter: John Cena in Talks to Star in Duke Nukem

User is offline   stumppy84 

I guess Randy and JSJ are gonna be talking about Duke in a live call-In show tomorrow!

https://mobile.twitt...984268353351680

View Poststumppy84, on 27 January 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

I guess Randy and JSJ are gonna be talking about Duke in a live call-In show tomorrow!

https://mobile.twitt...984268353351680

....if I remember correctly, the last time Randy revealed anything about Duke Nukem, it was for World Tour---and he spent most of the time before the reveal in what I can only assume was an intoxicated state, singing and going on about freaking Battleborne.

As for whether or not he'll reveal anything about a movie? No idea.....I won't be holding my breath for any news, though.

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 27 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223427060

I listened through it yesterday and I have to say I agree with Randy for once... at least as far as the Duke movie goes. He's accepting of the fact that the movie could flop, but he also says it's not possible to make a CGI Duke Nukem movie happen as of now. I believe he said that if this movie actually happens and does well, something CGI would eventually be possible and he's open to doing it.

I don't think the petitions and negativity towards the movie right now is actually going to change or help anything. The only thing that may be doing is convincing them not to make a movie altogether. I say let it happen, good or bad. There's literally not much to lose at this point with the Duke IP anyway. I do agree with other people's suggestions about how the movie should be made and who should be making it, but it's just wishful thinking and isn't going to happen, sadly.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I say hold our criticisms until we actually see some more information. Like a synopsis.

Did he say anything else besides the movie like a Duke Game?

He did some talking about what I assume would have been Duke Begins

Randy: The idea- I was thinking about Duke's origin. And, uh.. I won't get into his specific origin, but lets imagine that General Graves discovered him when he was a kid, and it was during some earlier, uhh, encounter with aliens that was sort of hidden by the Government. But that encounter left Duke.. uhh.. orphaned. and left him, having been touched by the encounter in some way, which almost makes him superhuman with respect to the aliens.

Caller: Yeah, like genetically

Randy: Even beyond genetically, there's just something about his, his whole being now that's-

JSJ: Well, clearly his father was killed by aliens

Randy: Yes, yeah, 'n' even more than that his,his father and mother uhhhh and he saw it. But uhh but Graves took him in. And Graves, of course, runs the EDF. Now, Graves had a daughter. And Graves daughter happened to be the same age as Duke-

JSJ: ahhh i see where youre going with this

Randy: Now they were raised like brother and sister, but they WERENT brother and sister, and they were competitive with one another, and they had different skills, and they were both in the EDF.

JSJ: Be cool and make her like five years younger, okay?

Randy: Ha Ha Ha Ha Maybe, I don't know- I don't know which direction she's goin' but I know that they both can hold their own and they both can give each other shit like only brothers and sisters can, but theyre not actually brother and sister so there's- so you could get some weird tension in there too, that's fucking weird for both of them.

And then, right at the end;

I can see a new Duke Nukem game that really should be made, so now it's about financing. I think, uhh, frankly I think this motion picture helps unlock that.

He spent a lot of time talking about the Tomb Raider movies and how, while they may not be great, they were enjoyable, did well, and really boostered the marquee value of the brand.

A game should definitely happen before or around the same time as the movie because I don't think Duke would be given the same chance as Tomb Raider should it flop.

You know that does sound like agood story plot for one now I agree with randy on that.

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 29 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Full CGI video-games adaptations are even more a flop that live action, the best proof : FINAL FANTASY : CREATURES OF THE SPIRIT, this one sucked so much SQUARE ENIX almost got banckruptcy with their over-expending CGI department...

User is offline   petrus 

You have Duke, Vegas, aliens and donkeys, it would take real talent to screw this one up!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDuke Legacy, on 29 January 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

You know that does sound like agood story plot for one now I agree with randy on that.

It sounds similar to Conan the Barbarian.

If it does sound similar maybe Randy got the idea from it.

Wouldn't be bad inspiration. All stories rip off something.

I could have played Duke Nukem in a movie... just wished I were an actor, and had enough muscles :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 02 February 2018 - 10:10 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I'm sorry if this was already mentioned but interestingly enough there is a brief summarization of the movie's plot on imdb. This is what it says:

"In a world gone bad, one man hired by the CIA and the EDF (earth defense force) becomes the only hope in preventing a Mad scientist from using evil aliens, techbots and mutated/experimental soldiers to capture and enslave woman to breed with and create an oppressive society on earth."
http://www.imdb.com/...&sort=year,desc
Maybe there are too many typos in there for it to be taken seriously but still, it's on imdb. :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 02 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I can't see any serious script using the word "techbots".

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHendricks266, on 02 February 2018 - 11:54 PM, said:

I can't see any serious script using the word "techbots".

Haha, that may be right but there were techbots in the early Duke games and in DNF's DLC. If the "mad scientist" is Dr. Proton then sure, techbots, why not? :dukecigar:

• Weaponized Autism

View PostZaxx, on 03 February 2018 - 12:01 AM, said:

Haha, that may be right but there were techbots in the early Duke games and in DNF's DLC. If the "mad scientist" is Dr. Proton then sure, techbots, why not? :dukecigar:

I know dude. This reads like a fan fiction--it's too accurate to the games.

View PostTnT, on 02 February 2018 - 11:42 PM, said:

Let's face it, Cena has a big following I'm sure he will do fine in a Politically correct Duke Nukem movie. "VANILLA", compared to my take on Duke.

I'm not saying this to be rude, I'm just basing this off of what we've already established about your take on Duke. The voice would be more like a generic tough guy, which is understandable as you want to go your own way with it, he would hate Jews, blacks, and gays, and it would be very political, just anti-Liberal. I'm sorry, but Duke doesn't need to be political at all. If anything, the movie needs to be devoid of political sides. It just need to be a badass movie with guns, explosions, boobs, and fun. Just saying.

I'm someone who also wants to play Duke in the movie, so I understand the feeling when someone else takes that. But I'm not the right build for the role, even though I'm trying, and probably too young, I'm 22 but I've been told I look like I could pull of 28-30. I've proven before that I can do Duke's voice, so that's not in question. My Duke would be like the Duke from Duke 3D, just with more lines. The voice would be as close as possible, the attire would be spot on, with a few additions for the sake of making it work realistically, the attitude would e ripped straight out of Duke 3D as well, and the story would be inspired by Duke 3D, with a few minor tweaks to make it viable as a movie.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHendricks266, on 03 February 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

I know dude. This reads like a fan fiction--it's too accurate to the games.

Oh no, it's much worse than that: it's an idiotic mishmash of all the Duke games = exactly what video game movies like to do.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostTnT, on 02 February 2018 - 11:42 PM, said:

I wonder if Cena has any vision for the character or if he will just do what he's told by like a half dozen assistant directors who's only reference is having only recently watched a few game clips of Duke.

Cena is apparently a gamer. I'd hope he's already aware of Duke Nukem and not just through Duke Nukem Forever. It would be a plus.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostZaxx, on 03 February 2018 - 01:00 AM, said:

Oh no, it's much worse than that: it's an idiotic mishmash of all the Duke games = exactly what video game movies like to do.

No, it mixes a number of elements taken straight from the various games with nothing new introduced. It's fanfiction. Mainstream film adaptations, including "video game movies" pay far less attention to the source material than this synopsis does. It strikes a good balance of faithfully adapting source material while combining and packaging it into a format that would work as a film, which is why it can't be real. The franchise owners would seek a film that puts mainstream success first, and accuracy to the series' roots maybe sixth or seventh.

View PostHendricks266, on 03 February 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

No, it mixes a number of elements taken straight from the various games with nothing new introduced. It's fanfiction. Mainstream film adaptations, including "video game movies" pay far less attention to the source material than this synopsis does. It strikes a good balance of faithfully adapting source material while combining and packaging it into a format that would work as a film, which is why it can't be real. The franchise owners would seek a film that puts mainstream success first, and accuracy to the series' roots maybe sixth or seventh.

Perfect example of paying far less attention to the source material: The Resident Evil movies. Throw in the canon protagonists as side characters to an over-powered (dare I use the term? ...yes, I dare) Mary Sue who just so happens to be played by the director's soon-to-be wife, put a Slipknot song on the soundtrack to drum up interest from the MTV crowd, and then keep rewriting the plot with every sequel. The freaking NOVELS were better than the movies (even if they were later classed as an alternate continuity), in my opinion.....

User is offline   TnT 

I wrote that synopsis on IMDB. I can't recall exactly, but I think I highjacked IMDB fairly easily and was even able to create an artist profile without having much experience at all in Hollywood. I worked on the Dark Knight as an extra when it was filming in Chicago and that's all the big budget studio experience I have. All my work has been independent short films I've done with some friends from 20 years ago and then a bunch of stuff on my own.

Regarding the IMDB Duke Nukem page:
I saw the potential for a film back in 2007/08 when I began to write the screenplay. I noticed that despite have a producer attached at the time, the same producer of Max Payne, the project seemed dead with no activity to be found. So, I was confident enough in my abilities to help produce a great film, despite the fact that I am by no means a privileged man, nor do I come from old money or anything like that. I've worked regular jobs since I was in junior high just like most kids who grow up outside of Hollywood, under privileged and underpaid. That's ok though, because I admire those who are honest, who work for a living and raise families. I myself am honest and work hard on my craft. I don't "cut corners" or do things half assed. I respect intellectual property and don't desire to steal and claim anything as my own. That's why from the get go, I vowed to include the original developers of Duke Nukem on the production of a feature film, If I had anything to do with it, because without them there would be no Duke Nukem and they deserve to be part of the production of a Duke Nukem motion picture.

Don't let the explosions and T&A fool you. Duke Nukem is closer to being "high-art" than most people currently give it credit for.

As far as movies with T&A... Dog gonnit! Boys can't go through puberty without witnessing some T&A in movies! Mom please, don't cover my eyes!

I have yet to get into a movie, even as an extra, but I'm working on it. Acting is something that I'm very passionate about, and Duke is a character that I've been wanting to play since I was about 5, it was around 2001 so either 5 or 6 depending on the month. I've been around Duke since I was born, my dad got the game either when it came out, or shortly after, and as I was only two months old when the game came out, it's been a part of my life for all of my life. I'm hoping that this movie gets made, but also, selfishly, I'm hoping that John passes on the role, or at least the movie takes too long, so that I can hop into the running for the role. I'm currently working on getting the right physique for the role, as well as getting into acting so I have some proof that I can act. I do have my own plot written out, and I'm working on getting it into script form, but for me it's more important to actually play the role, then get my idea made.

View PostZaxx, on 02 February 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

I'm sorry if this was already mentioned but interestingly enough there is a brief summarization of the movie's plot on imdb. This is what it says:

"In a world gone bad, one man hired by the CIA and the EDF (earth defense force) becomes the only hope in preventing a Mad scientist from using evil aliens, techbots and mutated/experimental soldiers to capture and enslave woman to breed with and create an oppressive society on earth."
http://www.imdb.com/...&sort=year,desc
Maybe there are too many typos in there for it to be taken seriously but still, it's on imdb. :dukecigar:

I like how that "In a world gone bad" thing may be a reference to the Time to Kill intro text. That's what came to mind for me anyway. With imdb a lot of unsubstantiated stuff tends to end up on there with announced movies like this. I remember GI Joe Retaliation said Michael Dudikoff as Quick Kick was in the movie, even when the movie hit theaters iirc.

IMDB is participative, and in the contribution process they don't ask you to give justifications to every single elements you add...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postgemeaux333, on 04 February 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

IMDB is participative, and in the contribution process they don't ask you to give justifications to every single elements you add...

Exactly, you'd be surprised just how many errors IMDB has, and yet everyone treats it as gospel. It's closer to wikipedia.

User is offline   pacman 

A young Arnold would be the ideal role:

Posted Image

Just picture him blond and with sunglasses.

Cena looks too much of a joke.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options