Duke4.net Forums: Duke sprite with accurate weapons - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke sprite with accurate weapons  "Feel free to use them"

I felt this deserved it's own topic instead of with my variant enemy sprites. I had some free time and was wondering if anyone ever made Duke sprites holding the correct weapons instead of holding that white rocket launcher box thing, so here are my attempts on them. The pistol and devastator were the hardest to do because of the different poses. But feel free to use them if you want.

Note: I have not tested them in animations.

Attached Image: dukeglock.png

Attached Image: dukeshotgun.png

Attached Image: dukechaingun.png

Attached Image: dukerpg.png

Attached Image: dukeshrinker.png

Attached Image: dukeexpander.png

Attached Image: dukedevastator.png

Attached Image: dukeice.png

Attached Image: dukeflame.png

Just like the DOOM marine skin under Smooth Doom or Marine Skins, I like it. :dukecigar:

Can you also provide one with a double barreled sawed-off shotgun?

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 10 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

User is offline   RPD Guy 

Damn, that's some heavy work. Nice though.
:wub: :dukecigar: :)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Not bad, but the shrinker should be wider when seen from the front. Also the expander pick-up sucks, the antenna is not facing the front...

View PostFox, on 10 January 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

Not bad, but the shrinker should be wider when seen from the front. Also the expander pick-up sucks, the antenna is not facing the front...

Hah. You're right about the expander dish. I'll fix that later. Do you have a reference for the front of the shrinker?

User is offline   Fox 

Use the shrinker from Endangered Species as a reference for the front. Looking at the weapon art, I think its width is 2 or 3 times that of the height.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

User is offline   stumppy84 

Awesome job!! These are great! Are you gonna do the pipebomb and trip mine?

I'm not sure what to do with the pipe bomb and trip mine yet. They would require a lot of work because of Duke's body and arm positions.

Here are updated shrinker and expanders:

Attached Image: dukeshrinker2.png

Attached Image: dukeexpander2.png

This kicks ass.I was going to try something like this with the Duke 64 weapons.This is something I made A few weeks ago. Posted Image

I had more but had a mishap and deleted them.It was only test work to see how feasible it was with my skills to make all the frames, so its no big loss. I decided I could do it but I put it on the back burner for now.I'm glad I did. Now with your work as a reference and inspiration it should be much easier.If I ever get around too it.

I was also removing the jet pack from all the frames and was going to try and make it a separate sprite so when you picked it up it would be attached to dukes back.

I wonder how hard it would be to code it so you actually change when you switch weapons.

It would be cool to have one with no weapon.For when you holster it or start a map without a gun.

This post has been edited by -=SomeThingEviL=-: 11 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

User is offline   Fox 

View Post-=SomeThingEviL=-, on 11 January 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

I wonder how hard it would be to code it so you actually change when you switch weapons.

Fairly simple.

View Post-=SomeThingEviL=-, on 11 January 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

This kicks ass.I was going to try something like this with the Duke 64 weapons.This is something I made A few weeks ago. Posted Image

I had more but had a mishap and deleted them.It was only test work to see how feasible it was with my skills to make all the frames, so its no big loss. I decided I could do it but I put it on the back burner for now.I'm glad I did. Now with your work as a reference and inspiration it should be much easier.If I ever get around too it.

I was also removing the jet pack from all the frames and was going to try and make it a separate sprite so when you picked it up it would be attached to dukes back.

It would be cool to have one with no weapon.For when you holster it or start a map without a gun.

That's great. I was thinking a Duke without a jetpack would be cool to have, but I was hesitant since it would be a lot more work. But go ahead and use mine and make more if you can.

Sorry. I noticed I forgot two sprites on the upper left. Here are the corrected versions:

Attached Image: dukeshrinker3.png

Attached Image: dukeexpander3.png

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 12 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Permission to use these in StrikerDM? (A Dukematch-centric EDuke32 mod)

This post has been edited by Striker: 15 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

User is offline   HellFire 

This is really really nice.
I know that it would be a lot of work but when doing the pipebomb and trip bomb versions, try to match the way duke holds these weapons on the first person sprites, like, single handed for the pipe bomb and two handed for the trip bomb.
Following the same idea, maybe the RPG sprites could be changed to be more closer to how duke holds it on first person.
For the back face of the tripbomb i guess you could use the voxel pack as a reference, if i remember right the tripbomb was already "voxelized".

This post has been edited by HellFire: 15 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

View PostStriker, on 15 January 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Permission to use these in StrikerDM? (A Dukematch-centric EDuke32 mod)

Sure.

User is offline   Gambini 

Great work!! had the DNF mod a MP mode i would include this for sure!

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostGambini, on 16 January 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

Great work!! had the DNF mod a MP mode i would include this for sure!

WOW a MP for DNF good news ^^

User is offline   Gambini 

It was hypothetical. There is no MP planned for the mod. But who knows.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Does anyone have these sprites in tilesxx.art format? If we had them, and they were arranged in exactly the same way as the original Duke tiles (including the same number of spaces between them etc.) then there's an easy CON hack making them display with the appropriate weapon being held, which should only take a few lines of code. Essentially you would just have each weapon set offset from the base set by a certain number (different for each weapon of course), and then in the appropriate display event add that number of tiles to Duke's displayed tile.

If the general idea of this operation is to use these sprites in Dukeplus/Attrition (as everyone hope), you should ask for the sprites where he is holding Alien Pistol, Akimbo Glocks, Riot Shotgun, Double Barreled Sawed Off, MP5, Minigun and BFG before. Possibly even for ninja kicks and glove sticks.

And anyway both require various code, aesthetic and feature updates first. Like add the WT Incinerator to Dukeplus and replace the Flametrower used in Attrition with it.

To be honest even the vanilla multiplayer would benefit from this sprites, but it comes in conflict with what it was conceived, unless it is established that everyone need to have a mod to play online.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 17 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

View Poststumppy84, on 10 January 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

Awesome job!! These are great! Are you gonna do the pipebomb and trip mine?

Weaponless Duke would also be useful for when the gun is holstered, or when you're only using the Mighty Foot.

Really great work though!

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 18 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 10 January 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

I felt this deserved it's own topic instead of with my variant enemy sprites. I had some free time and was wondering if anyone ever made Duke sprites holding the correct weapons instead of holding that white rocket launcher box thing, so here are my attempts on them. The pistol and devastator were the hardest to do because of the different poses. But feel free to use them if you want.

Note: I have not tested them in animations.

Bravo. Now somebody has to insert all these sprites into the game at correct offsets to make the animations actually work.
However, I find it overcomplicated to have each sprite with every possible weapon. There's a hundred of sprites of Duke in the game, and there are 11 weapons (if we count knee as a weapon and not counting the pipebomb detonator which is technically also a weapon). Should we use 1100 sprites of the protagonist in a first person shooter just to show his weapon in the mirror? If really needed, I would prefer a two-sprite solution. Just draw Duke without any weapons and put a corresponding weapon sprite on top of it in the right place in the game (the ones you have drawn for your sprites). Sprites in Build have xoffset/yoffset parameters to ease weapon placement for different postures.

I remember multiplayer mode displaying current weapon image right above each player what is a quick and dirty realization of the concept.

This post has been edited by Jan Satcitananda: 01 February 2018 - 05:27 AM

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 01 February 2018 - 05:26 AM, said:

Bravo. Now somebody has to insert all these sprites into the game at correct offsets to make the animations actually work.
However, I find it overcomplicated to have each sprite with every possible weapon. There's a hundred of sprites of Duke in the game, and there are 11 weapons (if we count knee as a weapon and not counting the pipebomb detonator which is technically also a weapon). Should we use 1100 sprites of the protagonist in a first person shooter just to show his weapon in the mirror? If really needed, I would prefer a two-sprite solution. Just draw Duke without any weapons and put a corresponding weapon sprite on top of it in the right place in the game (the ones you have drawn for your sprites). Sprites in Build have xoffset/yoffset parameters to ease weapon placement for different postures.

I remember multiplayer mode displaying current weapon image right above each player what is a quick and dirty realization of the concept.

Yeah I agree that's a ton of sprites. But if someone is serious about doing a mod with a empty handed Duke + separate sprites, I can always make a sprite sheet with Duke holding nothing and floating weapons. In fact, once that ground work is laid it out, it would be much easier for him to wield newer/mod weapons right?

Maybe is too easy solve the logistic problems with animations and frame size dilemma in this way, but this is the general idea?

Attached File  Sprite arrangement test.zip (13.95K)
Number of downloads: 140

Respect the same height and width of the standard Duke sprites inside the .art as possible adding only where it's needed?

User is offline   Fox 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 January 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

arranged in exactly the same way as the original Duke tiles (including the same number of spaces between them etc.)

I recommend cutting the space before the swimming frames.

All the sprites in distinct and categorized frames.

Attached File  Duke with accurate weapons frames.zip (4.08MB)
Number of downloads: 168

Those which are identical to standard Duke or does not have a darker color on weapon grip has been tagged them as "same as vanilla", they are mostly backs and 3/4 backs.

User is offline   the_raven 

Cool! But what of the original weapon? It's still available in the cutscenes, right?

Off-topic: What is the original weapon anyway? Some kind of shotgun? I find it strange that we never got to actually use it in-game.

User is offline   Fox 

The developers refer to it the "all-gun" or something like that. Supposedly a weapon with the power of all others used in the cutscenes...

This post has been edited by Fox: 19 October 2018 - 07:47 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options