Duke4.net Forums: Prey (2006) - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prey (2006)

User is offline   axl 

I don't really get the praise for the original Prey. It's a solid shooter, but really nothing spectacular. The best part of the game was the beginnning. When the song "Don't Fear the Reaper began, I was completely blown away. One of the best intro's I have ever seen. But the rest of the game was quite mediorcre in my opinion.

The new Prey on the other hand is very underrated. The environment (Talos I) is amazing. It really feels like an actual place. But I do agree that it is very much a copy of System Shock 2 (which is also amazing btw).

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Prey 2006 and Prey 2017, for how different they are, both have one giant similarity.

They start off strong and great but drop off near the end/halfway-ish.

2006 just doesn't have very much interactivity or cool moments (sadly, just about all the coolest shit was shown in the demo) once you past the first half while the second half just feels like a solid corridor shooter. If they would've introduced you being able to place portals and then it turned into Portal with gun combat, it could very well have been one hell of a fucking game.
2017's problem halfway through was that a lot of the enemies just weren't fun to fight. The mimics made a great suspenseful hook in that anything could potentially be a mimic, but then you get a device to scan for mimics so they become useless. The other enemies just aren't satisfy to kill, unlike fighting organic enemies like humans or monsters these ones are all basically smoke blob monsters. And THEN it starts spamming the maps with the flying robots that instantly deplete all of your armor while you have to rush to the ending halfway across the map and back and blaaaahhh it wasn't great.

Both have some damn good music, too.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options