Duke4.net Forums: Mods.Duke4.net - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mods.Duke4.net

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

What do you guys think about having a mods DB on the site? I've been seeing a lot of creative stuff on this forum, like WGR 2, and I was thinking it'd be nice to have a place besides these forums to showcase/download them.

Here's RedSplat's concept of the Duke3D Mod DB. I'm currently in talks with Usurper to have it coded. It'd be nice to hear your opinions.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: d3dconversions.jpg

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Sounds and looks very good. May I make the suggestion to expand it to include a Manhattan Project section too? The guys trying to get a community going for that could really benefit from a repository of hub of some kind, there arent many of them around, but it couldnt hurt.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 18 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

That really would be very cool!

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah, it would be nice. Would this replace the mods downloads section? Cuz right now, those downloads are very outdated and missing a lot of important mods.

User is offline   supergoofy 

And someone should moderate/update the page to include news mods or include new versions of the already known mods. Because many mods are updated frequently.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Awesome idea.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

This would be awsome, asuming it has login option for the modders to keep the info up to date. Without that it would just be another list of out of date info.

A small sugestion would be to add small icons that quickly give you a heads up of what it requiers and suports along with filtering options based on these. This would be things like 1.3D, 1.5, eDuke32, xDuke, HRP, Polymost, Polymer etc. Also if it has login suport you could even add things like an RSS feed with updates and stuff like that.

Eitherway as long as it is kept up to date it would be awsome.

User is offline   diehard 

that's tighter than a monkeys ass

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostParkar, on May 18 2009, 09:56 AM, said:

This would be awsome, asuming it has login option for the modders to keep the info up to date. Without that it would just be another list of out of date info.

A small sugestion would be to add small icons that quickly give you a heads up of what it requiers and suports along with filtering options based on these. This would be things like 1.3D, 1.5, eDuke32, xDuke, HRP, Polymost, Polymer etc. Also if it has login suport you could even add things like an RSS feed with updates and stuff like that.

Those are great ideas. I don't like having different versions of my mods lying around on random Duke sites because when someone downloads a mod I want them to have the latest version. Site admins always say they will keep them updated but they never do. If I can log in and upload, then at least it is my own fault if it is not updated. Also, I don't see any reason why a copy has to be hosted here. I could link to my copy at the official site or Mod DB (which is good because it means I waste less time uploading).

The truth is, the community does not need files hosted in a lot of different sites. One or two sites that can handle the bandwidth are sufficient. But it does make sense to have information pages here at least.

User is offline   gt1750 

Having everything at one place and well-organized is always a good thing :P

Awesome idea, I say do it. :P

User is online   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

This is bad ass. As long as there is somewhere to easily update the pages then this will be rock solid.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, I would definitely be interested in having a central mod database for the Duke3D community. We need to keep as much stuff in one place as possible, kind of like the old Dukeworld days, only we're not commercial so there's no central point of failure due to selling out or whatever. I'm also keeping daily backups of this site and the EDuke32 wiki just in case something does happen.

I do have to say, it's awesome seeing a community for such an old game keep getting bigger and bigger!

User is offline   eddym4814 

Hey, those are the first five mods I have listed on the nav. bar on my site! Where did you get them? Thief! Just kidding. I think it would be a good idea to have another database of older and completed mods. As DT said mods that are WIP and updated often should link to authors site where the latest version is available. I have taken my site about as far as I can. Thats why I joined RTCM where I don't have to worry about hosting files and screenshots off site. This way the community would have two primary download sites available. If one should go off line for some reason the other would still be available.

• Once and Future King

Oh man, Dukeworld. :cry:

I think that the community and/or the admins here could add the older and ancient mods from the Dukeworld era. I'd hate to see history be lost to the ages.

• el fundador

Yeah, the whole Dukeworld thing is still pretty sad. Biggest kick in the balls ever for Duke3d as far as I'm concerned. I don't think the Duke3d community was ever the same after that.

View Postmsleeper, on May 18 2009, 09:19 PM, said:

Oh man, Dukeworld. :cry:

I think that the community and/or the admins here could add the older and ancient mods from the Dukeworld era. I'd hate to see history be lost to the ages.

Thats exactly what I was taking about. Having the files hosted on two sites would minimize the risk.

• Once and Future King

View PostTX, on May 18 2009, 09:26 PM, said:

Yeah, the whole Dukeworld thing is still pretty sad. Biggest kick in the balls ever for Duke3d as far as I'm concerned. I don't think the Duke3d community was ever the same after that.

No, it definitely wasn't. We were all left without a home, there just weren't any other sites we could migrate to.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postmsleeper, on May 18 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

No, it definitely wasn't. We were all left without a home, there just weren't any other sites we could migrate to.

I wasn't around back then, but I just came across this old thread which says Planet Duke took over from Dukeworld...I guess it didn't really fill the gap, eh?

http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/gamespy_dis...1/9324075/p1/?2

Many Dukeworld sites will be hosted right here.

We'll also have most of Dukeworld's content. Nothing to worry about about in the least Posted Image

--
-Lucky
Site Director,
PlanetDuke.com

• Once and Future King

Yeah PlanetDuke just wasn't the same. I moved my site over there, and some people did migrate their sites too like AMC I think, but it just... wasn't home.

• el fundador

PlanetDuke was never even very good as a Duke fansite, let alone a replacement for something like Dukeworld. Seriously, what an out of touch shithole that place has been since it opened. The whole thing reminds me of the "Here's the pulse. Alright? And this is your finger, far from the pulse, jammed straight up your ass. Say, would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel?" bit from Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostCommando Nukem, on May 18 2009, 09:09 AM, said:

May I make the suggestion to expand it to include a Manhattan Project section too?

I love DNMP but is anyone even making mods for it anymore? I keep in touch with Prowler who was the only active DNMP modder I think, and he hasn't given me any updates lately. We do have a DNMP downloads page: http://www.duke4.net...oad.php?list.13 -- if there's enough active modders (at least 3 or 4), then we can have a DNMP Mod DB.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 18 2009, 09:20 AM, said:

Would this replace the mods downloads section? Cuz right now, those downloads are very outdated and missing a lot of important mods.

The mod downloads section is just the place we use to host stuff. Mods.duke4.net would be something totally different, and doesn't necessarily need to act as a host. Rather it can act as a portal that modders can log into and update their mod info. Download links and screenshots can be put up, but the files don't necessarily have to be hosted here.

View Postsupergoofy, on May 18 2009, 09:38 AM, said:

And someone should moderate/update the page to include news mods or include new versions of the already known mods. Because many mods are updated frequently.

I'd like to have an automated CMS that'll let people register and upload stuff. That way we don't have to worry about stuff becoming outdated.

View PostParkar, on May 18 2009, 09:56 AM, said:

Eitherway as long as it is kept up to date it would be awsome.

Agreed. Also I'll tell RedSplat about your icons idea.

View Posteddym4814, on May 18 2009, 06:10 PM, said:

Hey, those are the first five mods I have listed on the nav. bar on my site! Where did you get them? Thief! Just kidding. I think it would be a good idea to have another database of older and completed mods. As DT said mods that are WIP and updated often should link to authors site where the latest version is available. I have taken my site about as far as I can. Thats why I joined RTCM where I don't have to worry about hosting files and screenshots off site. This way the community would have two primary download sites available. If one should go off line for some reason the other would still be available.

Looks like RedSplat went to your site to come up with mod names to put into the concept design. :P

BTW, my offer from last year about hosting your mod site still stands. It could be hosted @ RTCM.Duke4.net and you'd not have to deal with ads.

• Once and Future King

View PostTX, on May 18 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

PlanetDuke was never even very good as a Duke fansite, let alone a replacement for something like Dukeworld. Seriously, what an out of touch shithole that place has been since it opened. The whole thing reminds me of the "Here's the pulse. Alright? And this is your finger, far from the pulse, jammed straight up your ass. Say, would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel?" bit from Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but it was created and Dukeworld got closed or bought or whatever, just to milk in on the Duke3D / DNF craze of the time right? The 2 or 3 guys who ran it that I ever interacted with never really cared about anything and I'd never seen them before in my life. I figured they were just 2 guys from who-cares-where Planet site that got told to run it.

View PostYatta, on May 18 2009, 10:14 PM, said:

Looks like RedSplat went to your site to come up with mod names to put into the concept design. :P

BTW, my offer from last year about hosting your mod site still stands. It could be hosted @ RTCM.Duke4.net and you'd not have to deal with ads.

Thanks again Yatta but I have enough on my plate right now. Corvin and I have about 75% of the mods on my site added to RTCM so far. It's a pain because every page has to be edited manually. If I ever start another site in the future it will be using FTP/HTML so the site could be moved to a new host without this aggravation.

• Once and Future King

View Posteddym4814, on May 18 2009, 10:48 PM, said:

Thanks again Yatta but I have enough on my plate right now. Corvin and I have about 75% of the mods on my site added to RTCM so far. It's a pain because every page has to be edited manually. If I ever start another site in the future it will be using FTP/HTML so the site could be moved to a new host without this aggravation.

I love the RTCM but you guys have been plagued with terrible designs since like the beginning of time. I can't believe you do everything manually, I figured you'd have some sort of CMS running the whole thing.

View Postmsleeper, on May 18 2009, 10:57 PM, said:

I love the RTCM but you guys have been plagued with terrible designs since like the beginning of time. I can't believe you do everything manually, I figured you'd have some sort of CMS running the whole thing.

The problem with adding the mod pages to RTCM is not the RTCM side, its the Tripod pages that suck. We found it easier to copy and paste the data from Tripod into the RTCM stylesheets instead of trying to use the actual Tripod page. It would be nice if we could use a WCMS program to do this. I have not used one before but I think I will look into it. And yeah, it takes a little while to get used to the design of RTCM. They are working on a new site though.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I remember DukeWorld. I had just got the internet about a year before it shut down, and I downloaded mods pretty often. It ticked me off when it went down because I never had anywhere else to get mods. Quite a few people went to TotalConversions.com as well.

I love the DukeModsDB idea. I hate having to run all over the internet to find shit.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 19 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Do it. Or else.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

View PostYatta, on May 19 2009, 03:14 AM, said:

Agreed. Also I'll tell RedSplat about your icons idea.

I didn't forget the info for the mods. There already is a icon on there for that, when clicked that should open a floating window with all the info about the mod.

Yes i did. :P

User is offline   Usurper 

• Hates Twitter

Almost there.

Attached Image: wip_mods.jpg

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options