Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 Scripting - Duke4.net Forums

• 115 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 Scripting  "CON coding help"

User is online   Mark 

Darn, I was hoping it was down because a huge update was being uploaded with hundreds of easier to understand examples for all the con commands. :D

Does a program exists that can output meta information about a map given the .map file? Things such as num wall, sectors, num of different items etc...?

Edit: Seems I asked too quickly. I found this: https://github.com/lewster32/webbuild, which has what I would need

This post has been edited by thisbecasper: 14 April 2022 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   dandouglas 

Is it possible to link a security camera viewscreen to a switch, i.e. have something activate when the player presses use to view through the camera? I have a number of "TV channels" in my mod and I'd like to have effects and sounds starting when the player views them.

At the moment i'm placing a touchpad right in front of the viewscreen but obviously that creates some sync issues, as I'm relying on the player to hit use immediately upon walking up or the effect is missed.

Cheers!

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postdandouglas, on 18 April 2022 - 05:43 AM, said:

Is it possible to link a security camera viewscreen to a switch, i.e. have something activate when the player presses use to view through the camera? I have a number of "TV channels" in my mod and I'd like to have effects and sounds starting when the player views them.

At the moment i'm placing a touchpad right in front of the viewscreen but obviously that creates some sync issues, as I'm relying on the player to hit use immediately upon walking up or the effect is missed.

Cheers!

Yes, but the first way that comes to mind is a bit convoluted. You would start by tagging the camera sprite with the channel that will activate, but tag it on EXTRA since that isn't used for anything.

If you don't have one already, declare a per actor var for storing channels, and then load that var with the tag.

In your var declarations, add: gamevar mychannel -1 2

Then to save this as a var on the sprite:

eventloadactor CAMERA1 geta[].extra mychannel enda 

Then in the player code, you have to detect whether you are viewing from a camera, and if so check to see if the camera is supposed to activate stuff. Activate stuff if applicable, and then reset the var so it doesn't keep activating continuously.

// this part goes in the APLAYER actor

ifn player[].newowner -1
{
  ifn actorvar[player[].newowner].mychannel -1
  {
    getav[player[].newowner].mychannel mychannel
    operatemasterswitches mychannel
    operaterespawns mychannel
    operateactivators mychannel 0
    setav[player[].newowner].mychannel -1
    set mychannel -1
  }
}

Hi Dan, really sorry but I can't seem to get this working. The setup I currently have is: a Touchplate right in front of the Viewscreen activates a Shooter to kick a sprite in the room I've placed the Camera in, and triggers a sound effect which is only audible when viewing through the camera.

I've removed the Touchplate, given the Camera sprite an Extra value equivalent to the Lotag of the Activator and added your code, but no sound plays now. I've tried using this new setup with another effect (floor rise) and it doesn't trigger the effect either. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Thank you!

• Duke Plus Developer

Make sure that the eventloadactor part was added; without that the camera will do nothing. I can't really debug it because I don't have the project files.

ifn player[].newowner -1
{
  al THISACTOR
  {
    al mychannel
    set mychannel -1
  }
}

The "al THISACTOR" will add the player's sprite ID to the log. That should completely spam the log when using a camera so if that doesn't happen then you know the code isn't firing at all and the block of code is most likely in the wrong place.

The "al mychannel" only get logged one time if the camera did get set successfully with a channel. You will need to search the log for an instance of "mychannel" after closing the game since it will be hard to see in the other spam. If that does not appear in the log then you know the camera failed to load the channel number into the var. If it does appear then that means that the operate commands using the channel were insufficient to trigger the shooter for some reason.

Hi Dan, thanks for getting back to me. Still not having any luck with this I'm afraid. Nothing relevant is showing up in eduke32.log (I'm using the Debug version of EDuke32). I tried changing CAMERA1 to VIEWSCREEN in the code and adding the EXTRA tag to the VIEWSCREEN sprite to see if that would work, but no joy either.

This is how I've added the code to my GAME.CON - I appreciate that you may not have any more time to look into this.

gamevar mychannel -1 2

actor APLAYER MAXPLAYERHEALTH PSTAND 0 0

ifn player[].newowner -1
{
  al THISACTOR
  {
    al mychannel
    set mychannel -1
  }
}

• Duke Plus Developer

So that code isn't making the value of THISACTOR be spammed to the log when the player is using a camera?

https://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Newowner

I don't really see how that's possible unless the GAME.CON you are editing isn't even being used in the game.

Here's the log I'm seeing - I'm sure the game is using that GAME.CON, I deliberately inserted a typo into it just to double-check and the game failed to compile, and when I removed it from the directory loads of stuff in my mod broke.

Spoiler

• Duke Plus Developer

Alright, I did a little test on my own end. It turns out that the newowner member somehow is always -1 when read from the APLAYER actor, even though it is set elsewhere. This is bizarre to me and I wasn't aware of this until now. Possibly the player sprite that has newowner set is a dummy sprite that is spawned to be viewable via cameras and is not the same as the player actor. In any case, the good news is this is fixable if you move the code out of the APLAYER actor and into EVENT_GAME

gamevar mychannel -1 2

onevent EVENT_GAME

ifactor APLAYER
ifn player[].newowner -1
{
  {
    al mychannel
    set mychannel -1
  }
}
endevent

Hi Dan, thanks so much - this works perfectly. Really excited to see what I can do with it in the mod and I hugely appreciate you taking the time to put this together.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postdandouglas, on 21 April 2022 - 01:13 PM, said:

Hi Dan, thanks so much - this works perfectly. Really excited to see what I can do with it in the mod and I hugely appreciate you taking the time to put this together.

Glad to help. I never would have guessed that whether the struct member is set depends on whether you access it from the actor or in the event. Scripting Duke has a lot of weirds quirks, though, so I shouldn't be that surprised.

User is offline   zazo 

Hi everybody,
After a long period of posing, i have fun with mapster again.
I have some questions regarding code modification to solve some bugs and improve some visual effects:
- how to prevent enemies from killing each other with their shots ? Silly but usefull to avoid this...
- it is possible to create different sort of bullet holes when a player's shot hits differents kinds of wall textures (concrete, metal, wood, etc)?
- a way to determine the id of the wall closest to an actor (like the command "findnearactor" but for walls ?)
Thanks in advance if you have any ideas how to do this, or find pieces of code for this...

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postzazo, on 27 April 2022 - 06:35 AM, said:

Hi everybody,
After a long period of posing, i have fun with mapster again.
I have some questions regarding code modification to solve some bugs and improve some visual effects:
- how to prevent enemies from killing each other with their shots ? Silly but usefull to avoid this...
- it is possible to create different sort of bullet holes when a player's shot hits differents kinds of wall textures (concrete, metal, wood, etc)?
- a way to determine the id of the wall closest to an actor (like the command "findnearactor" but for walls ?)
Thanks in advance if you have any ideas how to do this, or find pieces of code for this...

The first of those three is pretty easy to do. The second and third a quite a bit more involved. There just aren't any simple commands for them that do the job.

The friendly fire thing: Every enemy uses the ifhitweapon command. Right before that command in the enemy's code, you can insert a line of code that checks where the damage is coming from and nullifies it if it is coming from another actor that is not the player:

ifn sprite[].htextra -1 ifn sprite[].htowner -1 ifn sprite[].htowner player[].i seta[].htextra -1
ifhitweapon
{
// ... etc

So you would find each place it says ifhitweapon and insert that line of code above it. In English, what that line of code says is "If you are taking damage and if that damage is coming from a specific sprite and if that sprite is not the player, then negate that damage." This might also prevent them from taking damage from environmental explosions, but hopefully it doesn't do that. I'm hoping that environmental explosions set htowner to -1, in which case they will still take damage from those.

Note that this will not work properly in multiplayer because it only allows damage from the *closest* player. Also, in a more sophisticated mod that has other stuff going on like enemy factions and so on, it should not be used.

User is offline   zazo 

Works very well for the first point. Thanks you...

User is offline   RPD Guy 

View PostDanukem, on 24 November 2021 - 06:30 PM, said:

Since this is the scripting thread, you may want a scripting solution. It's a bit cumbersome, but you could define a new sprite and then put it into the sector where you want the sprites to ignore pal:

define NOPALSPRITE ####
gamevar tempsprite 0 0
gamevar tempvar 0 0

eventloadactor NOPALSPRITE

cstat 32769
headspritesect tempsprite sprite[].sectnum
whilevarn tempsprite -1
{
  geta[tempsprite].htflags tempvar
  orvar tempvar 64
  seta[tempsprite].htflags tempvar
  nextspritesect tempsprite tempsprite
}

enda

I think that will work but I'm not entirely sure because the htflags might get overwritten after map load. If that's the case then the code would need to run later.

I guess that what I'm looking for is something with paldata "nofloorpal":

paldata[(pal number)].nofloorpal 1

For example: If sector x have pal 10, then it should'n affect it's containing sprites.

But it seems that paldata is read only, so I can't simply do that:

set paldata[10].nofloorpal 1

As paldata is read only, I guess that the "nofloorpal" flag are probably stored under these guys: LOOKUP.DAT / PALETTE.DAT / TABLES.DAT or it's hardcoded somewhere in eduke32.

User is offline   RPD Guy 

In my opinion any pal greater than 8 or 9 shouldn't affect any sprites, because they won't change the sector's lighting, other than that, they give the game some randomness in level detail.

Judge me.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Hi, could somebody give me a tip or a link to the eduke32 wiki about using blend mode for art displayed on HUD?

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Alright, that actually was pretty simple. I just had to be more attentive and keep searching for info on the wiki. You can use screentext which has an alpha parameter with -129 or -255 values.

P.S. Thanks to Danarama on Discord for the hint.

Is there a proper way to assign a RECOG sound to a useractor? Having searched the wiki for actor flags or events to tack it onto I have it set onto the actor's block to fire and then disable itself. This works the first time the actor is woken up but not if it has gone to sleep and awaken a second time.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postlllllllllllllll, on 22 June 2022 - 07:47 PM, said:

Is there a proper way to assign a RECOG sound to a useractor? Having searched the wiki for actor flags or events to tack it onto I have it set onto the actor's block to fire and then disable itself. This works the first time the actor is woken up but not if it has gone to sleep and awaken a second time.

The recog sounds are a hardcoded feature of the game tied to specific enemies. The only hook into them from the scripting language that I am aware of is EVENT_RECOGSOUND which was added relatively recently and only applies to those old hardcoded cases.

To do what you want on a new useractor you would need to add some special event code that replicates that functionality. What you are trying to do is detect the sprite's .statnum changing from 2 (asleep) to 1 (awake) when its .extra (health) is greater than 0 (because you don't want dead bodies making the sound). And depending on how you had added the sound to the actor code, you might have to remove it from there, since you might get the sound played twice.

• Duke Plus Developer

This may be needlessly resource intensive but it was the first method I thought of and it will work.

gamevar sleeping NO 2 // note that NO and YES are normally defined as 0 and 1 in DEFS.CON

onevent EVENT_GAME

switch sprite[].picnum

case MYENEMY
          ife sprite[].statnum 2 set sleeping YES
     break

// presumably you will want other cases...

endswitch

endevent

// then elsewhere...

useractor enemy MYENEMY MYENEMYHP

// lotsa code blah blah blah

ife sleeping YES
ifg sprite[].extra 0 
{
     sound MYRECOGSOUND
     set sleeping NO
}

enda

Note that if an enemy is discovered it may be going from statnum 0 to 1 (not 2 to 1) so it may never have been sleeping; therefore, you would still want to have it making the sound in your ifai 0 block (or ifmove 0, or however you initialize the enemy)

Is it possible, either via Mapster or CON, to create a sprite which blocks the player but allows bullets/projectiles to pass through? I need to create some inaccessible areas but still allow the player to shoot snipers placed in them, and due to my design using blocking walls won't work.

This post has been edited by dandouglas: 23 June 2022 - 11:58 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

@Seb Luca:

setuserdef[].show_level_text NO

^Execute that line of code before the level's name displays upon map load (for example in EVENT_NEWGAME). If you want it only temporarily disabled then you have to turn it off and on depending on the situation.

User is offline   jimbob 

just set the Cstat to block, but not hitscan. and set it to wall aligned. worked for some flat block sprites for me. i mean this as a user actor, i'll take a look at my actors for the code.
useractor notenemy FENCE1
cstat 17
enda

this blocks the player from walking through it, but lets the bullets pass through.
for some strange reason, userart always blocks hitscan and projectiles unless you specifically change the cstat.

This post has been edited by jimbob: 23 June 2022 - 12:07 PM

User is offline   Seb Luca 

View PostDanukem, on 23 June 2022 - 12:03 PM, said:

@Seb Luca:
setuserdef[].show_level_text NO
^Execute that line of code before the level's name displays upon map load (for example in EVENT_NEWGAME). If you want it only temporarily disabled then you have to turn it off and on depending on the situation.

Thanks a lot ;) It works perfectly !

This post has been edited by Seb Luca: 23 June 2022 - 12:33 PM

View Postjimbob, on 23 June 2022 - 12:04 PM, said:

just set the Cstat to block, but not hitscan. and set it to wall aligned. worked for some flat block sprites for me. i mean this as a user actor, i'll take a look at my actors for the code.
useractor notenemy FENCE1
cstat 17
enda

this blocks the player from walking through it, but lets the bullets pass through.
for some strange reason, userart always blocks hitscan and projectiles unless you specifically change the cstat.

This is perfect, thanks so much! I've used cstat 32785 to make invisible sprites :)

View PostDanukem, on 22 June 2022 - 08:30 PM, said:

This may be needlessly resource intensive but it was the first method I thought of and it will work.

gamevar sleeping NO 2 // note that NO and YES are normally defined as 0 and 1 in DEFS.CON

onevent EVENT_GAME

switch sprite[].picnum

case MYENEMY
     break

// presumably you will want other cases...

endswitch

endevent

// then elsewhere...

useractor enemy MYENEMY MYENEMYHP

// lotsa code blah blah blah

ife sleeping YES
ifg sprite[].extra 0 
{
     sound MYRECOGSOUND
     set sleeping NO
}

enda

Note that if an enemy is discovered it may be going from statnum 0 to 1 (not 2 to 1) so it may never have been sleeping; therefore, you would still want to have it making the sound in your ifai 0 block (or ifmove 0, or however you initialize the enemy)

All sprites running the argument every tick sounds intensive yeah.
The idea to check statnum for sleep is perfect.

Since the actor itself can't run code after falling asleep can a spawned sprite reference its parent, and the parent reference a sprite it spawned?
Supposing the useractor spawns an unrendered noclipping sprite which follows duke so it never falls asleep, and that sprite will check the parent's statnum every x count, is the parent be able to kill that sprite (and more importantly would that sprite be able to set a per-actor variable for the parent)?

spriteflags myghost yyyy //unrendered noclipping

useractor myactor
  ifvare temp1 0 //var indicating was asleep
  {
    sound myactor_recog
    spawn myghost
    setvar temp1 1
  }
  ifdead
    {myghost}.killit  //parent kills spawned sprite
enda

useractor myghost
  ifcount 256
  {
    ife {myactor}sprite[].statnum 2 //spawned sprite checks parent's statnum
    {
      setvar {myactor}temp1 0 //spawned sprite sets parent's var indicating was sleep
      killit
    }
  else
  resetcount
  }
enda

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postlllllllllllllll, on 23 June 2022 - 09:13 PM, said:

All sprites running the argument every tick sounds intensive yeah.

There's a simple fix for that though which I didn't include because it will cause problems if you are already using EVENT_GAME. But assuming you are not:

onevent EVENT_GAME

switch sprite[].picnum

case MYENEMY
     break

geta[].htflags RETURN
          orvar RETURN 128
          seta[].htflags RETURN
     break

endswitch

endevent

So now only the cases you want will check statnum to set sleeping, and all other sprites in the game will be exluded from any processing in EVENT_GAME after the initial check. https://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Htflags

Spawning an additional sprite to check on the first sprite is possible, although it comes with its own baggage. For example, some maps get close to the sprite limit so spawning lots of extra sprites should be discouraged.

But it occurs to me that there may be a better method than either of those. As a sprite gets closer to sleeping, its .httimetosleep member gets incremented. I have never researched the precise behavior of that counter, but what if the counter only gets lower when it is reset upon wakeup? If that's the case, then you could simply have the actor make the RECOG sound whenever httimetosleep is < what it was last tic:

ifl sprite[].httimetosleep sleeptime sound MYRECOG
geta[].httimetosleep sleeptime

View PostDanukem, on 23 June 2022 - 11:09 PM, said:

But it occurs to me that there may be a better method than either of those. As a sprite gets closer to sleeping, its .httimetosleep member gets incremented. I have never researched the precise behavior of that counter, but what if the counter only gets lower when it is reset upon wakeup? If that's the case, then you could simply have the actor make the RECOG sound whenever httimetosleep is < what it was last tic:

ifl sprite[].httimetosleep sleeptime sound MYRECOG
geta[].httimetosleep sleeptime

As you thought it only lowers after the enemy is awakened again, it gives strange results though.

First I used
useractor myactor
  ife sprite[].httimetosleep 0
    sound MYRECOG
enda

This resulted in sleeping and reawakening enemies playing their RECOG properly, but enemies spawned via respawn didn't play the sound.
That made me think the respawning enemies have a higher initial value for httimetosleep, so I combined the above with the previous:
useractor myactor
  ifvare temp1 0
  {
    sound MYRECOG
    setvar temp1 1
  }
  else
    sound MYRECOG
enda

This resulted in all forms of the enemy playing their sound after a 4 tick delay.
I figured that httimetosleep was somehow still being calculated on the first tick:

useractor myactor
  ifvare temp1 1
  {
      sound MYRECOG
  }
  else
  {
    sound MYRECOG
    setvar temp1 1
  }
enda

but this results in even weirder behavior. All forms of enemies are playing the sound after ~4 tick delay but it doesn't always play.
It makes it seem like httimetosleep is starting with negative values and the times it doesn't play are where the increment skips 0.
But even in that case I don't understand why the bit following else is not working whenever ife sprite[].httimetosleep is used.

After messing around with it more I ended up with
useractor myenemy
  ifvare temp1 0
  {
    sound MYRECOG
    setvar temp1 1
  }
  else
  ifvare temp1 1
  {
    ifcount 64
      setvar temp1 2
  }
  else
    sound MYRECOG
  state actorcode
enda

and, as far as I've tested, this works
Thankfully when they fall asleep httimetosleep gets set to exactly 0

Share this topic:

• 115 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options