Duke4.net Forums: High Res versions of custom textures? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Res versions of custom textures?  "I can't get textures to show up in their high res versions ..."

User is offline   Red Avatar 

Okay, I got eduke32. I got the HRP. Everything works fine in the normal game.

Then, I got the idea to make a custom map with some custom textures. Because the default custom graphics look out of place among the high-res textures, I thought why not make high-res versions of them as well?

So after making the low res textures and adding them in the TILES014.art file, I boot eduke32, point at the content folder, run the map and I see the low res textures fine.

Then, I unpacked duke3d_hrp.zip, added a highres version in the TEXTURES folder (saved as 8 bit PNG file with dimensions 512x512 in Photoshop), I edited TEXTURES.DEF to include the texture. After doing this, I rezip the duke3d_hrp.zip file. But when running the game, it shows the original low-res texture ...

So then, I tried to remove the TILES014.ART file, in case it was overriding the high-res one. This meant the new texture wasn't visible *at all* - low res or high res.
Then, I tried to make a new zip file, creating a custom textures pack (making sure it was loaded after duke3d_hrp.zip) and again, no texture shows up.

So can you please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong? How can I make eDuke32 use the high-res texture? I spent three hours searching for the solution - looking on these forums as well but didn't find the answer. Why doesn't eDuke32 override the texture with the high res one?

This post has been edited by Red Avatar: 16 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

If you did everything right your first atempt should have succeded. If you look in the log it should tell you why it's not working.

Two common mistakes is missspeilling the file name and writing ".png"}" instead of ".png" }". note the extra space.

The proper way to do this and suport the HRP is to have a duke3d.def in your maps zip file or folder and in it you include duke3d_hrp.def. You can then add your own content directly in the duke3d.def or better yet include a def files with all your custom stuff.

Could you maybe post the def code you used?

Thanks for the speedy reply. I checked what you said and I discovered something:

- when I actually make a new TEXTURE, things work fine the way you say.

- if I make a new SPRITE, it refuses to show up.

I know that most sprites have been replaced by 3D models but surely you can still use 2D sprites instead ?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

You treat a sprite just like you treat a texture basically.

View PostCommando Nukem, on May 16 2009, 08:47 PM, said:

You treat a sprite just like you treat a texture basically.

Hmm I wonder why it won't work then. Maybe it has something to do with the PNG file. Do JPG files get accepted as sprites? And do you need to set a "detail" map?

This post has been edited by Red Avatar: 16 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostRed Avatar, on May 16 2009, 08:48 PM, said:

Hmm I wonder why it won't work then. Maybe it has something to do with the PNG file. Do JPG files get accepted as sprites? And do you need to set a "detail" map?

Yes, but you have no transperency with jpgs.

If I understand you correctly the highres texture gets used if you set a wall to use it but not as a sprite? That would be very stange.

Could just post the def lines for your texture? We might be able to spot a common mistake just by looking at it.

This post has been edited by Parkar: 16 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

View PostParkar, on May 16 2009, 10:24 PM, said:

Yes, but you have no transperency with jpgs.

If I understand you correctly the highres texture gets used if you set a wall to use it but not as a sprite? That would be very stange.

Could just post the def lines for your texture? We might be able to spot a common mistake just by looking at it.

texture 3601 {
pal 0 { file "HRP/3601.jpg" }
detail { file "highres/detail/metal_fine.png" xscale 0.3 yscale 0.3 }
}

texture 3614 {
pal 0 { file "HRP/3614.jpg" }
}

The first textures works fine, the second doesn't (used as sprite). The second textures is a copy of the first but renamed. (both are jpgs 512x512 24b)

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Post eduke32.log and mapster32.log

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Unless you actually have the tiles14.art in your Duke folder those highres textures will never show up because you have not defined a dummytile etc

View PostThe Commander, on May 17 2009, 02:13 PM, said:

Unless you actually have the tiles14.art in your Duke folder those highres textures will never show up because you have not defined a dummytile etc

But why then, is the first texture, which is also an unused texture, working?

I'll see if I can get the log on here.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

dummytile 3601 512 512
texture 3601 {
}

dummytile 3614 512 512
texture 3614 {
pal 0 { file "HRP/3614.jpg" }
}

That should make them work.

Or if you are going to be adding a bunch of textures that are 512 X 512 you can do it this way.

dummytilerange 3601 3614 512 512

texture 3601 {
}

texture 3602 {
pal 0 { file "HRP/3602.jpg" }
}

texture 3603 {
pal 0 { file "HRP/3603.jpg" }
}

etc

This post has been edited by The Commander: 17 May 2009 - 05:46 AM

I discovered the problem - it's quite silly really. It was caused by the "Custom Game Content" folder for some reason. It was still pointing to another map/folder which also used the tiles but, in-game for some reason, it wouldn't show the hi-res images. I set the Custom Content to "none" and now everything shows up like it should. Thanks for you help guys :P

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options