Duke4.net Forums: High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions

User is offline   Killes 

Oh dear it is only "worthy" of this from great almighty you.

Dude, the result works in Blood, as I said, original stop motion horror puppet feel/look is there.
It was done cheaply, "withou artistic talent" or whatever? So the f what ?

Its not wrong if it works.

We can also debate blurry pixel smoothing vs not, its a taste thing, its also optional, just like this guys work.

All your response does is show your emotional maturity and ego issues. Brings nothing else to the table. You can keep it in no ?
That might also reduce the amount of white knighting going on as you say.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostKilles, on 16 August 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Its not wrong if it works.

This isn't about me. You can certainly identify that the image in front of you is a Zombie from Blood, but if the idea here is to upgrade the graphics then the only real benefit to that initial image is that you can't resolve individual pixels. You might as well use bilinear filtering.

User is offline   Killes 

OK, it is a matter of taste. You are talking about pretty much recreating the art based on the original from ground up. Fine, a noble pursuit.

To that I would say one could as well recreate the original stop motion puppets and digitise them directly in high res :thumbsup:

Both pursuits requiring a very strong artistic talent.

Here lets just take it at face value - an upscale, an "improvement" or simply a tastefull depixelisation of the original art without killing the feel.

Bilinear filtering is well known produces a blurry result, some people seem to like it over pixels, and apply it to the whole game, fine,

Some other people like sharper graphics and this is a sharp and tastefull depixelization imo.

User is online   Phredreeke 

View PostKilles, on 16 August 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

What comes after is a bit more constructive but still, what the hell is that first response supposed to do other than belittle/antagonize ?

Chill, I don't need to be coddled. Tthe edges do look awful. BTW here's an attempt by me at smoothing out the edges.

Posted Image

(left is obviously original, middle new mask, right old mask)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 16 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

• Weaponized Autism

Nice work. Thanks for persevering in the face of my harsh criticism.

User is offline   Elwood89 

View PostPhredreeke, on 16 August 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Chill, I don't need to be coddled. Tthe edges do look awful. BTW here's an attempt by me at smoothing out the edges.

Posted Image

(left is obviously original, middle new mask, right old mask)

Man this is looking good, I hope you have the perseverance to work over all the sprites. Thank you!
While we all can hope that one day someone will redraw the old low res sprites in new glorious pixel-art that will perfectly and consistently match the atmosphere of the game, the reality IMO is that it would take even a skilled pixel artist months of time, which is not very realistic.
Well there is the possibility that there is an artist somewhere out there that a.) loves Blood to death and b.) is either insomniac or a millionare, so has lots of free time, but - I kind of doubt it outside of say, a Patreon-funded job? I know I'd buy that for a dollar (or even 10 :thumbsup:.

For now what Phredreeke is doing is truly the definition of "good enough". Keep it up!

Innocents about 80% done now. I didn't have high hopes for this one going in tbh.

https://gfycat.com/AgedAssuredBufeo

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I think the best way of making sprites is models - been proven time and time again. It's how the originals were made.

Having said that, have any of you guys tried any of the soft listed on this page used by the astronomical community?

User is online   Tekedon 

View PostTea Monster, on 17 August 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

I think the best way of making sprites is models - been proven time and time again. It's how the originals were made.

Having said that, have any of you guys tried any of the soft listed on this page used by the astronomical community?

Well they were real models or puppets to be exact, I remember hearing somewhere that even most of the weapons were made by hand. That would be the way to go then or if someone real handy could make 3d models look as authentic.

User is offline   Killes 

Original Puppets

A pic of the original original puppets, created by Kevin Kilstrom. http://kevinkilstrom.weebly.com/

It would be kinda cool to find a retired old school movie / horror FX guy willing to remake the puppets :thumbsup:

More about it here : http://www.the-postm...&t=1181&start=0

This post has been edited by Killes: 18 August 2017 - 02:46 AM

User is offline   Killes 

Or we could go round snapping up actual horror movie stop motion puppets on Ebay and use them for a mod / unofficial expansion pack :P

Cat Ghoulie Stop Motion Animation Puppet From Ghoulies 2 and Caveman

$3750 wowsa! Crowdfunding time ? :thumbsup:

User is online   Tekedon 

View PostKilles, on 18 August 2017 - 02:40 AM, said:

Or we could go round snapping up actual horror movie stop motion puppets on Ebay and use them for a mod / unofficial expansion pack :P

$3750 wowsa! Crowdfunding time ? :thumbsup:

That wouild make a nice Blood enemy :)

In the perspective of a mod with the tools that there are now It could be at most a replacement of the Phantasm since it looks like the Cheshire Cat that has the same invisibility skill, a new attack pattern and an addition seems excluded at moment. Cheshire Beast is a good name for the new monster.

One of my favourite enemies in the game.

Posted Image

User is online   Mark 

View PostKilles, on 18 August 2017 - 02:40 AM, said:

Or we could go round snapping up actual horror movie stop motion puppets on Ebay and use them for a mod / unofficial expansion pack :)

$3750 wowsa! Crowdfunding time ? :)

You would be way better off hiring a talented 3d model maker for $300

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMark., on 20 August 2017 - 05:25 AM, said:

You would be way better off hiring a talented 3d model maker for $300

It would lose the spirit. Clay models would be cool.

User is online   Mark 

Given a choice between being picky = having nothing and using a nicely made 3D model = something decent, I'll take the second one. :)

I think either way there would be nothing.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 20 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

User is online   Mark 

So close minded. Too bad. :)

View PostMark., on 20 August 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

So close minded. Too bad. :)

I just have little faith anything will come of this, Even the Duke HRP has been slow going as of late.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'm open for commission. Just saying.

Ok, so here's the first release of my Upscale Pack (in lack of a better name?)

Currently Zombies, Butchers, Gillbeasts and Innocents have been upscaled, as well as the Life Essences.

http://s000.tinyuplo...733864883426571

Here's an animated comparison between original and upscaled sprites

https://i.imgur.com/bXPb6WE.gif

Right now, I'm kinda stuck in that I don't know how to implement different palette variations of the same tile. This is part of the reason why cultists remain unchanged as well.

User is online   Tekedon 

View PostPhredreeke, on 25 August 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

Ok, so here's the first release of my Upscale Pack (in lack of a better name?)

Currently Zombies, Butchers, Gillbeasts and Innocents have been upscaled, as well as the Life Essences.

http://s000.tinyuplo...733864883426571

Here's an animated comparison between original and upscaled sprites

https://i.imgur.com/bXPb6WE.gif

Right now, I'm kinda stuck in that I don't know how to implement different palette variations of the same tile. This is part of the reason why cultists remain unchanged as well.

Wow, looks very true to the original and great! Impressed! Keep up the good work. Looking fotward to next release.

Here are a couple of screenshots I took.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 25 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

The replaced "texture.def" makes the window disappear after few seconds (anyway it does not making crash Java execution, it blocks and I have to close it using the task manager).

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostPhredreeke, on 25 August 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

Please explain the problem I'll try to help. I'm quite experienced with build palettes.

This post has been edited by Drek: 25 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

View PostDrek, on 25 August 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

Please explain the problem I'll try to help. I'm quite experienced with build palettes.

Thanks. At this point I have defined the images like this

texture 1570 {
pal 0 { file "upscale/tile1570t.png" }
}

This makes BloodGDX load that image file instead of the tile from the ART file. This will override all occurrences of that particular tile, even when it is using a different palette. What I thought was to make a separate image for the underwater palette, but I don't know how to define it in the texture.def file.

• Weaponized Autism

The EDuke32 engine never had any capability to define separate hightile textures for different globalpals.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Polymer uses a 32bit rgb lookup table to swap the global pal for underwater, in WGR2 I used the global hi pal to apply the quad damage grey/red color to our high res assets. So I guess I'm saying it's possible but M210 should decide how he wants to go about high res pal swapping.

Thanks for the information! Now I know there is nothing I can do on my end in regard to underwater palettes.

I've started working on the grey cultists. So far only a few front and front-side angle frames are changed

https://gfycat.com/G...ruptChrysomelid

(if you're observant, you may notice something else I've changed)

Just finished overhauling the voodoo doll death animation for zombies. Thought it worked well so why not make a GIF (frames may not be perfectly aligned)

Posted Image

:)

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options