Duke4.net Forums: Eduke save game problem - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eduke save game problem

User is offline   Neofile 

Hi, I installed DN3D and the Eduke/HRP mod on my kid's new machine and it ran great :P But the factory-installed OS later became corrupted and I had to reinstall it. Before doing that, I backed up the one .sav file that he had created, which was many hours worth of playing. I reinstalled everything, but when I put the savegame file back it didn't show in the load menu. I used the same copy of everything, the file appears to be intact and correctly named. How do I get the game to recognize that there's a savegame file there? I'm not going to be very popular around here if he's lost everything!

This post has been edited by Neofile: 15 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNeofile, on May 15 2009, 12:58 PM, said:

Hi, I installed DN3D and the Eduke/HRP mod on my kid's new machine and it ran great :P But the factory-installed OS later became corrupted and I had to reinstall it. Before doing that, I backed up the one .sav file that he had created, which was many hours worth of playing. I reinstalled everything, but when I put the savegame file back it didn't show in the load menu. I used the same copy of everything, the file appears to be intact and correctly named. How do I get the game to recognize that there's a savegame file there? I'm not going to be very popular around here if he's lost everything!

If he was playing using the Duke Plus mod, then the saved game needs to be placed inside of the DukePlus folder.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 15 2009, 01:09 PM, said:

If he was playing using the Duke Plus mod, then the saved game needs to be placed inside of the DukePlus folder.

Nope it was outside the Duke Plus folder. Anyway I can't get the Duke Plus levels to run, game just crashes to the desktop. All other levels work fine.

Could someone please try my file on their own machine and see what happens?
All I did was copy the file to the machine's desktop and then email it to myself, before reinstalling Windows. Then I collected it from my email and put it back exactly where it came from. I have no idea why a saved file reloaded back into the same application will then not work. But somehow I need to find a fix for this. So I've uploaded the file here:

http://rapidshare.co...51704/egam0.sav

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

(( BUMP ))

Anyone help on this one for me please?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNeofile, on May 19 2009, 10:50 PM, said:

(( BUMP ))

Anyone help on this one for me please?

1) When asking for help with an eduke32 problem, it's always a good idea to post a copy of your eduke32.log file. That shows what version you are using, what mods you using it with, etc

2) The save file is 800kb, which is pretty large for a vanilla game save. It could be that he was playing a large user map or a mod that has big CON files. I did try to open it in both vanilla and Duke Plus, and neither worked.

3) You won't be able to open the saved game if the version of EDuke32 is different from the one it was saved on. Are you sure it didn't get updated when you reinstalled?

4) Games get lost and started over all the time. It's not a big deal. Lots of things invalidate save game files and it's something we have learned to live with in this community.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 19 2009, 11:25 PM, said:

1) When asking for help with an eduke32 problem, it's always a good idea to post a copy of your eduke32.log file. That shows what version you are using, what mods you using it with, etc

2) The save file is 800kb, which is pretty large for a vanilla game save. It could be that he was playing a large user map or a mod that has big CON files. I did try to open it in both vanilla and Duke Plus, and neither worked.

3) You won't be able to open the saved game if the version of EDuke32 is different from the one it was saved on. Are you sure it didn't get updated when you reinstalled?

4) Games get lost and started over all the time. It's not a big deal. Lots of things invalidate save game files and it's something we have learned to live with in this community.

Maybe you've never had to explain to a kid that the file you gave your word of honor would be saved, has been lost. Not easy to put it mildly, and yes I know we have to live with such things but that doesn't make it OK. In any case it puzzles me because it's illogical and I hate illogical problems. I used the same game version, no doubt about that since it was burned to a CD. And all I did was email the saved game file to myself. Looking at the file in a hex editor, I don't see anything obvious unless perhaps there is a difference in the header, but not knowing the file format I can't tell what the layout of the header means anyway. My son has shown me what he was doing and he was playing the basic Eduke32, no special mods or maps as he doesn't have any. The game can't have been updated since we downloaded it as we already have the latest version, v321.

I do thank you for trying the file yourself and confirming that it no longer works. At least that tells me that the problem does exist. But I guess that's as far as I can expect to get.

Here's the logfile from the current installation anyway, can't see that it would help but you never know.

EDuke32 1.5.0devel 20090313
addsearchpath(): Added C:/duke3d/
Loading opengl32.dll
Loading glu32.dll
Initializing DirectDraw...
Using config file 'eduke32.cfg'.
Scanning for GRP files...
Using group file 'duke3d.grp' as main group file.
Using group file 'autoload/duke3d.grp/duke3d_hrp.zip'.
Using group file 'autoload/duke3d.grp/eduke32_mus.zip'.
Using group file 'autoload/duke3d.grp/maphacks.zip'.
Compiling: GAME.CON (151190 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3968: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5891: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Resizing code buffer to 16187*4 bytes
Script compiled in 13ms
Compiled code size: 16179*4 bytes, version 1.4+
Pointer bitmap size: 2024 bytes
1917/11264 labels, 308/2048 variables
125/16384 quotes, 0 quote redefinitions
0/88 event definitions, 207 defined actors
Initialized 32.0M cache
Definitions file 'duke3d.def' loaded.
RTS file DUKE.RTS was not found
Initializing OSD...
Using keyboard layout 00000409
Initializing DirectInput...
- Enumerating attached input devices
* MOUSE: Mouse
* KEYBOARD: Keyboard
* OTHER: USB Internet Phone by TigerJet
Setting video mode 1024x768 (32-bit windowed)
OpenGL Information:
Version: 3.0.0
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce 8500 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Cache contains 0 bytes of garbage data
Initializing music...
Loading OpenAL32.DLL
OpenAL Information:
Version: OpenAL version 1.1
Vendor: Creative Labs Inc.
Renderer: SB X-Fi Audio [BC00]
Initializing sound...
Initializing MultiVoc...
- 32 voices, 1280 byte mixing buffers
Initializing DirectSound...
- Primary buffer format: 2 ch, 44100Hz, 16 bits
- Creating secondary buffer
Executing "eduke32_binds.cfg"
EOF: EDuke32
Cache time: 7592ms
LARGE MEDKIT: +30
UDP networking uninitialized successfully.

Uninitializing MultiVoc...
Uninitializing DirectSound...
Uninitializing OpenAL...
Uninitializing DirectInput...
Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote eduke32_binds.cfg
Uninitializing DirectDraw...

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

First: It is not a vanilla Duke save file, it is a Dukeplus save game.
Second: An interesting thing happened while I was trying to get this save file to work. I renamed my original save file in my Dukeplus folder from egam0.sav to egam0.sav~ before I moved your file into that folder. Of course I had the same problem as everyone else; the game wouldn't recognize your saved game file. I deleted your file and renamed my save file back to egam0.sav. Now my game won't recognize my original file I just renamed back to egam0.sav.

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on May 23 2009, 06:09 AM, said:

How do you know that? Neofile has been swearing up and down that it was a vanilla save. The only reason I suspected it wasn't was the large file size.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDeeperThought, on May 23 2009, 10:48 AM, said:

How do you know that? Neofile has been swearing up and down that it was a vanilla save. The only reason I suspected it wasn't was the large file size.

Two reasons: It's the exact same size as my original Dukeplus save game file (which may be just a coincidence).
And I opened the save game file with notepad, scrolled towards the bottom and looked at all the Dukeplus options settings (which shouldn't be in a vanilla Duke save game file).

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on May 23 2009, 09:07 AM, said:

Two reasons: It's the exact same size as my original Dukeplus save game file (which may be just a coincidence).
And I opened the save game file with notepad, scrolled towards the bottom and looked at all the Dukeplus options settings (which shouldn't be in a vanilla Duke save game file).

Nice detective work. :P

View PostForge, on May 23 2009, 06:09 AM, said:

Second: An interesting thing happened while I was trying to get this save file to work. I renamed my original save file in my Dukeplus folder from egam0.sav to egam0.sav~ before I moved your file into that folder. Of course I had the same problem as everyone else; the game wouldn't recognize your saved game file. I deleted your file and renamed my save file back to egam0.sav. Now my game won't recognize my original file I just renamed back to egam0.sav.

Sorry :P my bad. My kid told me that he'd only played the vanilla version and I assumed that was true.

The rest of this is so weird. Did you get your game to run with your own file again?

User is offline   Forge 

Not with that file, and in my infinite stupidity, I permanently deleted it.

I have also been unable to reproduce the error. I've tried renaming new save files and then renaming them back. I've tried saving dukeplus games, running them with vanilla duke and vice-versa. They crash, but they still load. The only thing I can think of is my save game might have been from an older version of dukeplus (doubtful that's the problem), pre-HRP4 (maybe), or it was corrupted when I moved it out and back into the dukeplus folder when I installed the latest dukeplus (most likely) - I delete everything dukeplus out of my duke3d folder when I do a fresh install to make sure I have no conflicts .

I'm leaning towards the idea that your save game was corrupted when you backed it up.

edit: you should see the akimbo pistols in vanilla duke after loading a dukeplus save game. Quite amusing. You get an ammo count too, but you can't reload.

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options