Duke4.net Forums: Double Layer DVD aka DVD9 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double Layer DVD aka DVD9  "Downsides/adventages of Double Layer DVDs"

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I was recently thinking about getting a bunch of Double Layer DVDs and was searching for information if they're reliable enough or is it even worth getting them at all when there are DVD5 (the problem here is that, for example, I'd need to cut DVD9 ISO in half and write it on two DVD5). However, during search for the info I saw people talking about how DVD9 can cause damage to laser head of DVD drive which kind of bothers me.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with DVD9 and is this actually true? Also, would you recommend bothering with them and are there some kind of big downsides or advantages (aside from the most obvious one which is bigger size) compared to DVD5?

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 08 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

What are you using that requires burning DVDs in 2017?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I never heard of such disadvantages. Never had a problem burning on dual-layered DVDs. Burned lots of them. No problems with the burners afterward.

View PostHendricks266, on 08 July 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

What are you using that requires burning DVDs in 2017?

A bunch of DVD ISOs or some videos which are 8GB, I could use Blu-Ray discs if I had a proper drive (though that would be silly in this situation and I'd rather use real huge content for Blu-Rays), but shit is expensive as fuck and Blu-Ray discs aren't cheap either.

Keep in mind that digital age isn't a big thing in Japan yet, I still have a lot of junk which can read or burn DVDs.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 July 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

I never heard of such disadvantages. Never had a problem burning on dual-layered DVDs. Burned lots of them. No problems with the burners afterward.

I see, good to know then. The same applies to reading them too, right?

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 09 July 2017 - 03:08 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yep. Still use them years later.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostSledgehammer, on 09 July 2017 - 03:07 AM, said:

A bunch of DVD ISOs or some videos which are 8GB, I could use Blu-Ray discs if I had a proper drive (though that would be silly in this situation and I'd rather use real huge content for Blu-Rays), but shit is expensive as fuck and Blu-Ray discs aren't cheap either.

Just buy a external drive and put everything on there. Then mount the iso's as needed. If your dvd's are movies, just rip and store on the external drive.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 10 July 2017 - 06:16 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Get off my lawn! *hugs physical media*

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 July 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Yep. Still use them years later.

I see. Good to know, thanks.

View Posticecoldduke, on 10 July 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

Just buy a external drive and put everything on there. Then mount the iso's as needed. If your dvd's are movies, just rip and store on the external drive.

If I could I'd do that since the beginning, really.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options