• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BloodGDX (News & Releases)

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 09 May 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

I know Redneck Rampage has more fans (I think?) but I was honestly looking forward to Witchaven GDX being finished and a Witchaven 2 GDX happening.

Call me crazy but I thought Witchaven was surprisingly fun despite a few issues.
Talking about Capstone's games, I also would like to see more on TekwarGDX. I know is a very bad game, but I enjoyed it a lot when I was a kid, and I still play it (and complete it :() at least once a year.

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 10 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

Withaven -as a game- really only has two main problems: the hit-detection on some of the weapons is really bad and you cannot swap out a weapon for a more durable version of the same weapon until your current weapon is sufficiently damaged. Luckily you can whack away at a wall to damage a weapon enough but still, pretty bad design choice.

That and your strafe speed is terrible but that was a design choice to force you to use potions.

Despite the GDX being massively unfnished (most of the spells just don't work at all against tougher enemies and I don't know if that's the fault of the GDX being in an early stage or it's a game design flaw) it's surprisingly fun.

The level design is surprisingly straight forward and easy to figure out. Especially when you compare Witchaven to its contemporaries.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 10 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

User is offline   TheXna 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 10 May 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Withaven -as a game- really only has two main problems: the hit-detection on some of the weapons is really bad and you cannot swap out a weapon for a more durable version of the same weapon until your current weapon is sufficiently damaged. Luckily you can whack away at a wall to damage a weapon enough but still, pretty bad design choice.

That and your strafe speed is terrible but that was a design choice to force you to use potions.

Despite the GDX being massively unfnished (most of the spells just don't work at all against tougher enemies and I don't know if that's the fault of the GDX being in an early stage or it's a game design flaw) it's surprisingly fun.

The level design is surprisingly straight forward and easy to figure out. Especially when you compare Witchaven to its contemporaries.

I would be very happy if M210 fixes WHGDX problems like the pause menu don't even pause the game, music problems, and some random crashes (some sounds are missing too).
And of course, if he adds WH2GDX, That would be awesome!

View PostTheXna, on 11 May 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

I would be very happy if M210 fixes WHGDX problems like the pause menu don't even pause the game, music problems, and some random crashes (some sounds are missing too).
And of course, if he adds WH2GDX, That would be awesome!

Does the game have issues where doors close behind you and cannot be opened?

User is offline   TheXna 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 11 May 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

Does the game have issues where doors close behind you and cannot be opened?

That's a map design problem, you can manually fix it by using a map editor, those doors have a special 'trigger once' effect, depends on Hi and Lo values in sector tags.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Although I agree with you about Witchaven and Redneck (I would love to see GDX ports from M210), please open a new topic to discuss such things, other than BloodGDX.
Thank you.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 11 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

User is offline   Manhs 

View PostM210, on 09 May 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

I can't answer when, but I think I can start to write it now.

It could be just what we need the most to save the community (for a moment at least), a good and stable mp!
Not like dosbox who can desynchro, crash or have lag as hell like a friend who hosted near my country but it was so unstable i had maybe 1000 ping with 10 players, for some of us, it was unplayable and pretty sure, it wasn't because his internet.
Also, with the smooth mouse control of BloodGDX and a no autoaim option (if you can add this option), it could make the deathmatch mode far more interesting. The big problem with dosbox and blood is the mouse who is not smooth at all and no fast even with a good configuration.

I played with dosbox in extra crispy and well done for the most but i can say it's really a big problem in the dosbox version, specially for new players who can think it's weird and bad (but doable yeah).
There could be the option of "no friendly fire", is it possible to program it with bloodgdx? It could be coop mode more fun and less frustrating when you hit a friend with the napalmlauncher in the fire of the action :P
Well, E3 is coming and still nothing, some games were spoiled and no BLOOD anyway so i suppose we will have only the updated of BloodGDX to compensate it, thanks m210' :P

Maybe Monolith will do something in 2020 or 2025 but if we have to wait so much, better to play stuff now.
I play expansion first with dosbox (because i'm still a blood purist in the gameplay) but when i want replay it, i use bloodgdx for the render/noautoaim option and other stuff.
I could play it again with dosbox only if i play it on extra crispy (for the challenge and to make some videos :(

2018 start to be late, let's enjoy what we have for now..... :/
Not to whiteknight m210 or anything but i think a lot of us are depressive about the future of BLOOD. This e3 is gonna be the same for me since 2015 ^^ (waited for a heretic/hexen sequel or reboot as well, but RIP).

This post has been edited by Manhs: 12 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

View PostTheXna, on 11 May 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

That's a map design problem, you can manually fix it by using a map editor, those doors have a special 'trigger once' effect, depends on Hi and Lo values in sector tags.

Damn. Now I understand why there's quite a bit of hate for Witchaven because that is fucking terrible. I've encountered one other issue in the game where you can fall into a pit and just can't get out unless you hit a switch before you went down there. The only way to get out is to use a Fly Spell if you have it.

I hope M210 can include a NoClip cheat.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 12 May 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

Damn. Now I understand why there's quite a bit of hate for Witchaven because that is fucking terrible. I've encountered one other issue in the game where you can fall into a pit and just can't get out unless you hit a switch before you went down there. The only way to get out is to use a Fly Spell if you have it.

I hope M210 can include a NoClip cheat.

To be honest. Never got into Witchaven.. always felt kind of shit to me. Not sure what it was, but felt sluggish compared to Blood/Duke3d/Shadow Warrior. I can see what they tried to do, but honestly they did not succeed.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Keep in mind, Witchaven predates those games. To be fair, I'd give them credit for trying something different, even though in the end it didn't work out.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I really didn't like Witchaven. Felt really cheap to me. I wish someone would port over the Build version of Powerslave instead.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 19 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

A port of the Build Powerslave would be welcomed.

User is offline   Manhs 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 19 May 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

A port of the Build Powerslave would be welcomed.

Here we go :(
https://twitter.com/...945964831105024

I finished maybe 4 times the PC version, a HD version with this level design could awesome to explore. I'm not sure but i think Kaiser want make a version of his port for the PC game of Exhumed (not sure again). We will see.
Anyway sorry for the off topic.

I'm playing with Bood - The Lost Episodes, cool to see how it's easy to load the mappack of the folders! Easy! I finished it with dosbox but the controls on bloodgdx make it really fun to play it again ^^
m210, what will be your version 1.00 of BLOODGDX basically? When all the modes (sp/coop/dm) will be made at his best? It's actually 0,791, people could think it's still beta (like if there was big crash or bugs) so i don't know.
A friend is waiting for BloodGDX to be 1.00 x)

User is offline   m210® 

Im already can increase version to 1.0, but I don't want it yet :( Bloodgdx still has some minor crashes and more of ot on Linux. So maybe when I made multiplayer and fix this crashes, I can increase ver to 1.0

I have a little request before the update: The cutscenes are displayed correctly using only the SMK2 codec which is normal since is the smacker format utilized by Blood. It is possible make the FMV compatible with the more recent SMK4 codec too? Alternately make the .avi playable again or both?

User is offline   Manhs 

View PostM210, on 20 May 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

Im already can increase version to 1.0, but I don't want it yet :( Bloodgdx still has some minor crashes and more of ot on Linux. So maybe when I made multiplayer and fix this crashes, I can increase ver to 1.0

Crash are only on linux (for the most)?
Ok anyway! nice =)

This post has been edited by Manhs: 20 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I think it's still far away from v1.0. For that, all known addons should work flawlessly. They don't.

But I still gotta admit that real showstoppers are rare, and I can't tell if BloodGDX is to blame for the issues or the mod itself.

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostNightFright, on 20 May 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

They don't.

Which ones?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I remember a passage in Scum of Dallas I could only escape with the noclip cheat and then there's E5L1 in Iconoclast 2. Those are the ones I remember spontaneously. There aren't many I gotta admit and I am not sure whether it's due to bugged maps or not, but I guess it should be checked before this leaves beta stage.

I will revisit Scum of Dallas next week to point out the level and passage I am referring to.

User is offline   m210® 

View PostFantinaikos, on 20 May 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

compatible with the more recent SMK4 codec too?

SMK4 should working too, but I never seen this format, so I can't test it.

Not sure about avi, it's a different format

Apparently SMK4 decoding not working correctly, infact I tried it before pass to the old SMK2 for my WIP project for LOI.

Specifically at the moment rendering with SMK4 makes the video totally distorted. However it is not guaranteed that there is a real way to solve this via Java, it may be an incompatibility of the game system.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 21 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

IMO it would be better to add support for a modern format than a slight upgrade to a format designed for playback on 486s.

User is offline   SPILL 

The intro to Blood 2 is a SMK format. I got it to play in GDX but it was slightly distorted. I converted the video to wav format in order to have the audio. However, the audio played in "slow-motion" when using GDX.

Could it be that Blood hardcodes the sampling rate? Maybe try resampling it to what Blood uses.

View PostSPILL, on 21 May 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

The intro to Blood 2 is a SMK format. I got it to play in GDX but it was slightly distorted. I converted the video to wav format in order to have the audio. However, the audio played in "slow-motion" when using GDX.

Did cheched if the Blood 2 SMK was encoded with SMK2 or SMK4?

If is SMK4, plausible since probably they updated their SMK encoding for 1998, you have to re-convert the video into SMK2 with an older version of the smacker tool until other video formats are supported in BloodGDX. I can give it to you if you like.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 22 May 2018 - 12:08 AM

User is offline   m210® 

View PostFantinaikos, on 21 May 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

Specifically at the moment rendering with SMK4 makes the video totally distorted.

Ok, I will try to find SMK4 file for tests.

So, I'm back and can continue my work.
I made v0.792 today with some crash fixes

1. Unknown callback fix if you try to load original savegame
2. fNodeCount < kPQueueSize crash protect: you can't drop more then "kPQueueSize/2" (512) remoteTNT's
3. Check write files permissions fix
4. Underwater burning cultist crash fix
5. ROR sprites rendering fix
6. Fix load episodes without title in ini-file
7. PathSector stop sound fix
8. BloodGDX will more stable on maps with spritesnum ~3500 (almost maxsprites = 4096) sprites

And now, I need to prepare BuildEngine to public it. I think it will take a lot of time...
After public src, I will start working on multiplayer.

Btw, I finished tests of RR, I completed original game and route 66 addon. It's working good now.
RA has an incompatible CONs, so I need to think how can I combine RR and RA in one port, detecting version and compile it without errors

This post has been edited by M210: 22 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

User is offline   Tiddalick 

Fantastic news!

Thanks for the new version as well.

User is offline   max_nukem 

Thanks Alex!
You made me very glad!

Ok, I will try to find SMK4 file for tests.

I made it one for you: Attached File  SMK4 Testing.zip (1.43K)
Number of downloads: 4

Once you are able to see "TESTING" without visual problems, you have you will have fixed the problem.

View PostM210, on 22 May 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

Btw, I finished tests of RR, I completed original game and route 66 addon. It's working good now.
RA has an incompatible CONs, so I need to think how can I combine RR and RA in one port, detecting version and compile it without errors

Why not do two versions of RR GDX? One with the base game and Route 66 and the other that's just Rides Again? Rides Again is considered to be a sequel and not an expansion pack.

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options