Duke4.net Forums: The Duke Nukem Movie? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Duke Nukem Movie?  "AKA: another bad video game movie."

User is offline   xMobilemux 

This should have it's own thread instead of driving Randy's thread off track. Also all those posts could be moved to this one if need be.

So yeah Randy said a Duke movie is happening:

*sigh*

It doesn't matter if Randy thinks the studio is exactly the right people for the job, a live action movie will suck.
A live action Duke movie is well past it's time and will only make Duke's rep even worse, however a CG Duke is perfect as everything can be done properly and JSJ can return to voice Duke.

That Duke cameo in Ready Player One can work though.

View PostxMobilemux, on 15 June 2017 - 12:03 AM, said:

It doesn't matter if Randy thinks the studio is exactly the right people for the job, a live action movie will suck.
A live action Duke movie is well past it's time and will only make Duke's rep even worse, however a CG Duke is perfect as everything can be done properly and JSJ can return to voice Duke.

You don't know that... If the Duke movie is made with the story of Duke 3D, and attitude of it as well, and in the style of an 80's action movie, it would be perfect. The hardest part is casting Duke, and I've seen some really good cosplays, and heard some really good voices. Surely there's someone out there who could do both. I'm fairly optimistic about the Duke movie, and I think it could be great. I'm not saying it will be, but I also won't say that it wont be. You just have to have the right people involved.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 15 June 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

You don't know that... If the Duke movie is made with the story of Duke 3D, and attitude of it as well, and in the style of an 80's action movie, it would be perfect. The hardest part is casting Duke, and I've seen some really good cosplays, and heard some really good voices. Surely there's someone out there who could do both. I'm fairly optimistic about the Duke movie, and I think it could be great. I'm not saying it will be, but I also won't say that it wont be. You just have to have the right people involved.

Yes I do know and I have the last 24 years of bad live action video game movies to prove it.

Everyone always has that "maybe this time" hope whenever a game franchise is being made into a movie, but it always ends the same way, they all suck and swallow ass, a live action Duke movie will be no different.

The only video game movies that have ever been good are the animated ones, such as the Resident Evil ones.

I could make a far more faithful sprite based Duke movie than a modern film studio could a live action one, in fact I did.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 15 June 2017 - 06:50 AM

Same I seen so many bad live actions movies myself Doa is the worst that I have seen.

But if it ends up happening anyway which I hope to god it doesn't.

My pick for Duke would be Stephen Lang.
Posted Image
Movie will still suck, but Lang could still be entertaining.

http://static.tumblr...c8kg08wsk08.jpg he looks more like duke but the voice doesn't they could use a voice over though

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I have known good/decent live action adaptation of videogames, in my top 3 : Warcraft , Prince of persia and Postal

User is offline   Hank 

Now that it has its own thread!

Frankly, make a movie or make a game. If you make a movie and can't even invent your own character for a movie, the movie is already poor.

ignore - I just will never watch a movie based on games.

This post has been edited by Hank: 15 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture is a masterpiece of awesome, but anime is another beast.

I thought the Silent Hill movie was solid, not 100% a home run, could've been a little more mysterious like the game was, but was a good movie I felt.

I'm looking forward to the Duke movie, could be good times. Ideally it feels to some degree like say a 90s Stallone movie, maybe Judge Dredd. Just without Rob Schnieder as a sidekick, and more of a Die Hard type of joke giving and attitude (only a tad funnier - touch of Big Trouble in Little China Kurt Russel etc). Or of course an 80s classic like Commando, pretty much had a perfect tone for a Duke movie, just set it in the near future (like Predator 2 did), add the stuff that comes along with Duke.

That was a lot of of comparisons, in a nutshell, make a fun cool action movie with attitude and some irreverence, without being a complete farce/parody. And nailing the character is a big part of it's success. The way Duke reacts to everything could make the entire film solid gold.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatsee: 15 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

The real problem isn't the history of video game adaptations being awful, but that Hollywood haven't really made a good action movie for 20 years. That said, I think the Duke Nukem source material could have made an awesome action/scifi/horror thing in the mid 90's. And Dolph Lundgren could still make a great Duke, he was never meant to be 23.

View Postnecroslut, on 15 June 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

The real problem isn't the history of video game adaptations being awful, but that Hollywood haven't really made a good action movie for 20 years. That said, I think the Duke Nukem source material could have made an awesome action/scifi/horror thing in the mid 90's. And Dolph Lundgren could still make a great Duke, he was never meant to be 23.

John Wick 2 is so good, check those movies out if you haven't. The second one in particular is one of best action movies in years, since The Raid 2 for me. Dolph is always cool with me by the way!

In some ways the nonstop high octane of something like Crank (the first one) or Hobo With A Shotgun (but bigger budget / less insane) would be cool with a Duke Nukem theme to it. Lots of fun directions they could go.

I like to mention that randomly, the hero of Class of Nuke 'Em High 2 and 3 (1991 & 94) has a Duke-ish look.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatsee: 15 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

User is offline   Mark 

View Postnecroslut, on 15 June 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

20 years? Either you're way too picky or I am way too easy to please. If I thought about it for a little while I could come up with more than dozen great action movies that I bet a lot of people would agree with.

User is offline   Hank 

deleted - was drunk :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

PRESENTED BY TOTINO'S PIZZA ROLLS

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Sounds like Randy wants to do a Gearbox version of the MCU if I'm reading it correctly? Many companies have tried with mixed results. The Star Wars franchise is off to a good start with Rogue One though.

User is offline   DUDE NOGUM 

• Banned

https://youtu.be/KuWZHt7zd74

View PostDUDE NOGUM, on 16 June 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

That was... different.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

"Happening" could mean many things. Loads of films have been 'happening' and nobody has seen a frame of footage from them - that's even some that have got to a soundstage.

User is offline   DUDE NOGUM 

• Banned

You negate me because you are angry about the FACT that deep down inside you know that you don't have the talent, and much more for that matter, the COURAGE (or BALLS rather) to do one better.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

9/10 shitpost Dude Nogum. Happy trails!

User is offline   Zurix 

My duke must be sylvester stallone his voice is near to duke nukem
and some make up , boom you had a duke

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I think it could be done but not the way everyone is hoping for.

I think if they make the story simple, as simple as they can, it could work. It doesn't need to have 30 different things happening at once.

Honestly, this is my idea:

Duke saves the day by stopping Dr. Proton's robot army or some shit super simple. Here's how.

Dr. Proton unleashes his robot army, which are pretty much just off brand Terminator endoskeletons, they target the President, and Duke comes in to save the day, killing robots and saving the president's hot daughter or some shit, maybe the president is a hot chick or something, as I said, it doesn't have to be a million women because this is Duke's film debut. One thing leads to another and Dr. Proton escapes to outer space but Duke manages to get on the ship and they brawl it out in a final fight, and then Duke returns to Earth, not realizing how much time on Earth has passed, to be greeted by Pig Cops and the aliens from DN3D, hinting at a possible sequel that'll never happen, but will give the viewers a sense of wonder.

An other great fanmade trailer :

That's precisely the good idea for a movie :

At the national day (or else), an old man gather young children and tale them stories of a man who's actions made the humanity as powerfull and peacefull as it is now in the whole universe, a man who saved the world multiple time, a man who's only presence send the aliens back to the mothership : DUKE NUKEM
(Make the backstory an adatation of DNF as it seems a movie adaptation of this game could even be better than the original, or other stories that can be made in chronological order is the approach chosen is the Warcraft one)
At the end of the movie and the story, the old man admit that this hero was him in his young ages and keep training a new generation of heroes in the present times !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 30 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

I think Tim Burton would be a good director for the movie, especially if you have seel "Mars Attacks!", i even wonder how muche Duke 3D have been inspired from this movie !

As I kid, I envisioned Duke similar to Kurt Russell in Escape From New York. This was based off of Jon St John's Total Meltdown performance. Was it the same as DN3D? Been a while. Anyway, and the cut scenes that play when you finish a level gave me the impression Duke was cool and collective rather than grandiose action hero. Wouldn't be a bad influence. "President of what?"

I've learned to accept Duke will never be what I think he is. He's tangled up in too many interpretations.

View Postthe Machine, on 15 July 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

The problem is, Nobody really knows how Duke CARRIES himself, his ESSENCE because no actor has
ever performed him.

Sadly, that is a very true fact. I've been practicing my Duke voice, and attitude, since I was like 5, and I'm pretty proud of the progress I've made. I don't, however, look like Duke. I'm trying to get in the best shape possible, think Arnie from Commando or Predator, but it's going to be a long road. As someone who's trying to be an actor, I'd love to take on the role, I just need some time to get in shape.

The Shrinker in "Mars Attacks!" :

https://youtu.be/VOzYPXvCqXA?t=51s

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 16 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

Perhaps because the sets of some of his movies are made by Bo Welsch (who also made the set of MIB 3) and he have a particuliar way to do them... Mars Attacks ! set was made by Wynn Thomas

The sets of his last movies are pretty realistic

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 17 July 2017 - 05:38 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postthe Machine, on 17 July 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

I'm not sure how to explain it exactly but these new cameras being used some of them are
just making the finished film look so, IDK, Cold? Lifeless, Void. If that makes any sense.

It's a combination of much more standardized cinematography techniques and what goes on with color correction in the editing room. Terminator 2, for example, uses a steel-blue color correction process that gives the entire movie this cold oppressive feeling, even in the desert scenes you can see a lot of the Earth tones are pulled back because of this. It was still all shot on film, though. Terminator 3, i'm not sure if they didn't start going digital yet or not, but the other thing is it has a completely different group working on it. Outside of Stan Winston and Arnold, i'm fairly certain none of the major players were involved from the previous two films. That makes a huge difference to the spirit of the thing. The color correction works there for T2, though. That color tone wouldn't work for a romantic comedy, though. So this is where Hollywood started going wrong. They color correct every single film, to very extreme levels, now. It tends to have the nasty side effect of sucking the life out of things. Sure, it looks more clean and even, but when you take off the grit you take off some of the charm.

Personally I hope any Duke Nukem film that comes to fruition is actually done with a gritty 3D CGI and not done for live action. If only because I don't think the character can truly be done in live action and done well. Something like Deadpool was lightning in a bottle and a huge huuuuge gamble to get it right. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. :thumbsup:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options