Duke4.net Forums: The Duke Nukem Movie? - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Duke Nukem Movie?  "AKA: another bad video game movie."

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The Shrinker in "Mars Attacks!" :

https://youtu.be/VOzYPXvCqXA?t=51s

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 16 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

User is offline   SOAR 

View Postgemeaux333, on 16 July 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

The Shrinker in "Mars Attacks!" :

https://youtu.be/VOzYPXvCqXA?t=51s

I definitely agree that there are many concepts hinted at in the Duke games and most recently, concepts and ideas brought about in the TV series Ancient Aliens, that resonate deeply and should be explored more in the games and any film that might come out.

I thought an interesting scene would Have Duke eating peyote and talking with an American Indian about things the Indians believed happened in their past. Visits from "aliens" and in other locations on earth, assistance with the building of Pyrimids as power generators, etc.

Tim Burton is fine, I just think his sets look too fake.

This post has been edited by the Machine: 16 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

Perhaps because the sets of some of his movies are made by Bo Welsch (who also made the set of MIB 3) and he have a particuliar way to do them... Mars Attacks ! set was made by Wynn Thomas

The sets of his last movies are pretty realistic

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 17 July 2017 - 05:38 AM

User is offline   SOAR 

View Postgemeaux333, on 17 July 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

Perhaps because the sets of some of his movies are made by Bo Welsch (who also made the set of MIB 3) and he have a particuliar way to do them... Mars Attacks ! set was made by Wynn Thomas

The sets of his last movies are pretty realistic

Actually, it may not be the sets themselves but the lighting and film stock used.
I want the Duke Nukem movie to Look/Feel like Terminator 2.

You look at T3 and compare it to T2 and I feel the difference is obvious.

I'm not sure how to explain it exactly but these new cameras being used some of them are
just making the finished film look so, IDK, Cold? Lifeless, Void. If that makes any sense.

It's like the difference between watching a video at 30fps and at 24fps.
Softer edges perhaps with film opposed to digital.

User is offline   SOAR 

Real news or fake news: Do Aliens exist?

Techbots waging war

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

• Judge Mental

View Postthe Machine, on 17 July 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

I'm not sure how to explain it exactly but these new cameras being used some of them are
just making the finished film look so, IDK, Cold? Lifeless, Void. If that makes any sense.

It's a combination of much more standardized cinematography techniques and what goes on with color correction in the editing room. Terminator 2, for example, uses a steel-blue color correction process that gives the entire movie this cold oppressive feeling, even in the desert scenes you can see a lot of the Earth tones are pulled back because of this. It was still all shot on film, though. Terminator 3, i'm not sure if they didn't start going digital yet or not, but the other thing is it has a completely different group working on it. Outside of Stan Winston and Arnold, i'm fairly certain none of the major players were involved from the previous two films. That makes a huge difference to the spirit of the thing. The color correction works there for T2, though. That color tone wouldn't work for a romantic comedy, though. So this is where Hollywood started going wrong. They color correct every single film, to very extreme levels, now. It tends to have the nasty side effect of sucking the life out of things. Sure, it looks more clean and even, but when you take off the grit you take off some of the charm.

Personally I hope any Duke Nukem film that comes to fruition is actually done with a gritty 3D CGI and not done for live action. If only because I don't think the character can truly be done in live action and done well. Something like Deadpool was lightning in a bottle and a huge huuuuge gamble to get it right. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. :)

Duke Nukem The Series onYoutube Facebook and Duke4net!
Come Get Some!

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

http://www.oliverprice.com

^He's interested in playing the role if it's live-action. I left a comment the other day on one of his posts and he ended up messaging me. We had a little bit of a discussion about it.

User is offline   Duke Legacy 

He looks like agood young Duke Nukem

Duke4 Supporter

• Judge Mental

Posted Image

Come Get Some!

Comparing to the Duke3D cover artwork, I think he could pull it off. It all depends on which version of Duke you prefer.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 01 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

• Judge Mental

I can't tell, but Is he the guy in the Gearbox promos for Bulletstorm?

Come Get Some!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 August 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

I can't tell, but Is he the guy in the Gearbox promos for Bulletstorm?

That was someone else in those promos. Oliver lives in the UK and he toured around Europe to promote DNF. That's what he was doing in that image you posted. Randy told him that he thought he was the best Duke Nukem that he had ever seen. I'd say if they go live-action, there's probably a chance he will be eyeballed for the role. He's a pretty cool guy and he communicates with fans. I'd much rather have someone like that play Duke than someone who's totally the opposite. It's all a question of whether or not they can make it work and the movie turns out good.

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

Everyone's talking about how much he looks like Duke, and he does, he's probably the best pick based on his looks. But does anyone know if he can do the Duke voice? If he can, he's perfect. But if he can't do the voice, then it wouldn't work. Someone needs to have both the look, and voice, otherwise it would come off as a poor adaptation.

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming

Well, the voice can be done by John St John if needed, that's common to see a physical dubber with a dubbed voice after all...

User is offline   Never Forgotten 

View Postgemeaux333, on 02 August 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

Well, the voice can be done by John St John if needed, that's common to see a physical dubber with a dubbed voice after all...

Personally I would like to see an actor actually do the voice. I'm not a big fan of dubbing, except in the case of Goldfinger... anyway, I think it'd be best to get someone who can do both, that way you can avoid the Bane problem, by having the actor's voice seem louder, and clearer, than everything else going on.

Who Loves Ya Baby?

Never Forgotten/Focus Gaming

If they film a majority of the movie where you don't see Duke talking, I think a Jon St. John dubbing could work. I don't think he should be over-talkative in the movie anyway.

I think the movie should be a lot like Duke Nukem 3D's gameplay in terms of action. Running, jumping, shooting, explosions, jetpack, busting through ventilation ducts, etc.

User is online   X-Vector 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 01 August 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

Comparing to the Duke3D cover artwork, I think he could pull it off. It all depends on which version of Duke you prefer.

[pic]

From Drew Carey to Jim Carrey.

What the other guy that did Duke in Duke 64 can he still do the voice?

Duke4 Supporter

• Judge Mental

View PostDuke Legacy, on 03 August 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

What the other guy that did Duke in Duke 64 can he still do the voice?

That's Jon St John.

Come Get Some!

User is offline   xMobilemux 

All this talk about Duke's actor being dubbed by JSJ, I just can't help but feel that it will end up looking and sounding horrible on top of it being another terrible video game movie.
The disconnect between the actor and JSJ will be too big.

The only way JSJ should be involved is if the movie is animated.

Seeing as Netflix is off to a good start with animated series based on video games with Castlevania being pretty solid and the Witcher series on the way, it would be interesting for Duke to be done that way.
Start off with a small 6 episode season showing Duke's path of destruction during LA Meltdown from the roof of the building in Hollywood Holocaust to the show down with the Battlelord in The Abyss.
If it does well, throw Lunar Apocalypse in Season 2 and Shrapnel City in Season 3.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 03 August 2017 - 04:55 AM

User is offline   Altered Reality 

View Postthe Machine, on 16 July 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

I thought an interesting scene would Have Duke eating peyote

I have a better idea. Have Captain Dylan eat peyote, and General Graves discover him tripping out in a toilet. Then General Graves chews him out, and Dylan insists that he was totally fighting aliens in the astral plane. "Look! There's one right there!" says Dylan, pointing to a doorknob. Then he tries to attack the "alien" and trips over his own boot laces. Graves instantly demotes him to Private, to which Dylan replies "You can take away my rank, but you cannot take away my dignity!" and promptly proceeds to faceplant into a cactus.

If your brain tells you one thing and your heart tells you another, get rid of those silly doubts and listen to your brain.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• EDuke32 Senior Developer

View PostAltered Reality, on 03 August 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Graves instantly demotes him to Private

Captain Dylan should have stayed demoted to Dead.

I remember now seeing his name in the credits his voice did sound different in the game guess that why it threw me off.

Duke4 Supporter

Dylan would be a great addition to the movie, a sort of "Jar Jar Binks", after all, every movie need one !

User is offline   SOAR 

View Postgemeaux333, on 04 August 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

Dylan would be a great addition to the movie, a sort of "Jar Jar Binks", after all, every movie need one !

Shirley, you can't be serious...

And why not the Olsom (Olsen) twins, after all both the actresses are awaiting for a valuable script to play in since they made their professional reconversion in the civil life...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 04 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

User is offline   SOAR 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 02 August 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Everyone's talking about how much he looks like Duke, and he does, he's probably the best pick based on his looks. But does anyone know if he can do the Duke voice?
If he can, he's perfect. But if he can't do the voice, then it wouldn't work. Someone needs to have both the look, and voice, otherwise it would come off as a poor adaptation.

It's about whether or not an actor has the persona and essence of a character down and less about how he looks in order to
pull it off in a live action movie. Michael Keaton didn't look like a comic book or cartoon drawing, he looked like a REAL GUY
and that's what made it work. He hade the eyes, the charisma and he embodied the ESSENCE of the character.

And depending on the STORY, Duke Nukem may not even need to be in that great of shape anyhow if he is spending most
of his time drinking beer and frequenting strip clubs. Maybe Duke's a bouncer at the club initially.
Then, Graves is in one night for a beer and entertainment when he witnesses Duke kick ass in a bar brawl where he cleans house.
After that, he's recruited by Graves to come work for the EDF.
Duke is reluctant at first, saying "No thanks, I'm not the hero type", but later changes his mind.
Duke is put on HGH and other supplements and begins training with the EDF.
All along Graves and the EDF know what is about to go down but Duke is kept in the dark until the night he has to go into action.

View Postgemeaux333, on 02 August 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

The voice should be done by Jon St. John. After all, it's not like an Asian kung-fu movie where the actor and dubber speak completely different languages and never even met each other.
Oliver Price and Jon St. John could even work together on the character, tweaking their performances and exchanging ideas until Oliver's body language and Jon's voice fit together perfectly.

If your brain tells you one thing and your heart tells you another, get rid of those silly doubts and listen to your brain.

User is offline   SOAR 

View PostAltered Reality, on 06 August 2017 - 05:23 AM, said:

The voice should be done by Jon St. John. After all, it's not like an Asian kung-fu movie where the actor and dubber speak completely different languages and never even met each other.
Oliver Price and Jon St. John could even work together on the character, tweaking their performances and exchanging ideas until Oliver's body language and Jon's voice fit together perfectly.

Sorry, but dubbing the voice is just...
Oh my, I'm gonna try and just not say anything MEAN in response to such an idea and leave it at that.
I will just quietly roll my eyes until they pop out of my skull.

I pray y'all are just being sarcastic assholes and aren't being fuking serious.

This post has been edited by the Machine: 06 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

View Postthe Machine, on 06 August 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

Sorry, but dubbing the voice is just...

Right. The word you're looking for is right.

View Postthe Machine, on 06 August 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

I will just quietly roll my eyes until they pop out of my skull.

Excellent idea.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options