Duke4.net Forums: Going Back to Windows 7 From 10 Downsides? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Going Back to Windows 7 From 10 Downsides?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I actually like Windows 10. I might have to use dozens of tweaks to get it to a point where I enjoy using it, but at the end of the day I end up with a faster, more stable version of the same Windows platform I've been more or less happy with since Windows 7.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah. Win10 has been more solid and stable than even Win7 was for me. And Win7 was great.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

And that's what hurts the most.. Win10 is great in many ways but if I install it on say.. a PC that needs to run stable 24/7 for a week then it really sucks if you suddenly discover that it reboots mid-way on it's own or when you re-use it many months later (after being in storage), an update has broke/changed/reverted something important and you have only few hours worth of time to debug it.
And you can't really rely on external tools or tweaks to handle things since your 2015 install might be fine but if you have a new 2017 installation, it might have different settings or tools won't work at all.

Lack of proper "freeze" and lack of proper version numbering is a nightmare to keep up with and you can't really do "long term support" for say.. an 2016 version.
Frequent major changes, I don't mind it on a browser or similar but OS is something that really defines key behavior of a computer and losing control over that is not nice.

Many of their choices are nice though and I really do support the idea of auto-updates in many ways too.
However there are some systems where that's more about trying to fix a wheel that aint broken.

What bothers me is that a lot of this shit could be made optional, I'd gladly even pay extra for a version that doesn't spy and gives me more control.
I'd really want to use win10 in the future for all my systems.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 17 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options