Duke4.net Forums: Introducing: The Essential Duke [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Introducing: The Essential Duke [RELEASE]  "a bugfix / cosmetic / gameplay mod using only code"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCryptKiller, on 05 September 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Are octabrains supposed to speak? It sounds a little weird...

The octabrains don't speak. The only thing I can think of which you might be referring to is that some of the pigcops will activate with the previously unused PIGWARN sound. It's in english but it's distorted to sound like a pigcop and it was included with the original game.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 05 September 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

I need to actually get WT first!

Also, doesn't running WT maps in EDuke32 require some additional CON code for them to work properly?

I don't know, but I think the additional enemies and weapon are coded in different files.

Goddamn, my eduke32 folder is a mess. Misplaced some odd .voc files into autoload folder. Sorry for false alarm.

User is online   Polunka 

Now I'm really sorry to report this, Dan, but seems like the steroids problem has re-emerged one more time.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPolunka, on 06 September 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

Now I'm really sorry to report this, Dan, but seems like the steroids problem has re-emerged one more time.

Damn... I always suspected that Duke was a juicer.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time today, but I did find and fix a bug which may have caused this to resurface. Try downloading again and checking. It was a bug I introduced by disabling a feature but commenting out an extra line of code that was part of a different feature.

User is online   Polunka 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 September 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

Try downloading again and checking.

Still no result :) . I hope eventually you'll find the solution. And I don't (and can't at all) mind you not having time for this.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 07 September 2017 - 03:10 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPolunka, on 07 September 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:

Still no result :) . I hope eventually you'll find the solution. And I don't (and can't at all) mind you not having time for this.

Please check again, I have made another attempt at fixing it. I tested it and was able to get shrunk / grow / use steroids to grow all normally. If the bug still exists, let me know the exact circumstances so I can replicate it.

User is online   Polunka 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 September 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Please check again, I have made another attempt at fixing it. I tested it and was able to get shrunk / grow / use steroids to grow all normally. If the bug still exists, let me know the exact circumstances so I can replicate it.

Wait... Did you mean the thing related to using steroids while shrunk? It was okay. I implied the problem when steroids slowdown effect persists after ending a level.

Sorry for such a stupid misunderstanding... I shoulda told you what the exact thing was in the first place.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Is there a way to revert back to the blue color of the ingame text messages? Personally, I find all these different colors a bit irritating and unnecessary. Other than that, I am quite happy with this mod.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 09 September 2017 - 12:39 AM, said:

Is there a way to revert back to the blue color of the ingame text messages? Personally, I find all these different colors a bit irritating and unnecessary. Other than that, I am quite happy with this mod.

Where the quotes are defined in EDUKE.CON, the ^# preceding quotes causes them to display with different colors.

For example:

definequote 64        ^21AMMO FOR RPG!

That quote will use pal 21, making it red. I used red for weapon related items and green (pal 8) for health and inventory related items. So all you have to do is go through the quote definitions and remove the ^#

• The Truth is in here

Excellent. It's a great thing this mod is quite easy to customize, too!

• The Truth is in here

Sorry for the doublepost, couldn't find the edit button for some reason... xD

I dunno if it has any significance, but in eduke32.log, the following line keeps popping up when playing with the mod:
Line 13162, ifgapzl: invalid sprite -1

Dunno if it refers to eduke.con, but in that case, it would refer to a part of the Pigcop code which is about shrunken state, if I am not mistaken.

The other thing are these two warnings which probably don't have any consequence, but maybe there's a way to get rid of them, anyway:
EDUKE.CON: In event `EVENT_LOADACTOR':
EDUKE.CON:13376: warning: duplicate case ignored.
EDUKE.CON:13388: warning: duplicate case ignored.

I think this happens because the case entries of DEVISTATORAMMO and BOOTS are - for some reason - not recognized to be part of the switch block.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks for the report. I've done some edits since the version you have which have thrown off the line numbers, but it looks like in the first instance I grabbed the owner into spriteid, assuming it would be a valid sprite in all instances, when in fact it's not. It doesn't look like there would be any serious consequences, but I'll fix it. In the second instance there are redundant cases in the switch statement, which is harmless because the redundant cases do the same thing. EDIT: The confusing thing about the second warning is that the duplicate cases are not on the lines that the warning says.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 18 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

User is offline   Mark 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 May 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:

Oops, I had failed to consider that my easy button hack only works on buttons that you can shoot! I have changed the code now so it only applies to the different types of dip switches. The download in the OP has already been updated.

As for kicking doors, there are some that it doesn't work on. Diagnosing that and fixing it would wait a while longer.

Did anyone verify that the dip switches with the new code could be triggered with the "open/use" keypress? I can only shoot them. Its possible the problem is on my end. My project already has modified CON files and so I had to look thru Dan's code and grab only what I saw pertaining to the dipswitch code and place it in my code. Maybe I missed something.

This post has been edited by Mark: 20 February 2020 - 03:44 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's been ages since I have tested it. It could have been broken by an eduke revision, or by various other code in whatever project it is put into. It's a brittle feature at best. It works by making the player fire an invisible, short-range bloomless bullet right in the direction of the crosshair at the moment the player presses the use key. At the same time, it cancels the normal use operation when eligible dipswitches are in range. Since bullets activate dipswitches, the invisible bullet does the job and will accurately trigger the one you are aiming at. What could go wrong? Probably about a dozen things.

User is offline   Mark 

My dream of a working keypad. So close, but not quite. :rolleyes:
Unless I just give in to the compromise and have the numbers shot instead of pushed. Thats probably what I'll do. I'll have to make sure there are no enemies near the keypad. They might trigger from idle to angry with shots being fired too close to them.

This post has been edited by Mark: 20 February 2020 - 04:34 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark, on 20 February 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

My dream of a working keypad. So close, but not quite. :rolleyes:
Unless I just give in to the compromise and have the numbers shot instead of pushed. Thats probably what I'll do.

Does the code still work with newer edukes when used in Essential Duke? That would help me narrow it down. If I get time I'll look into it this weekend.

EDIT: Also, if you want a working keypad where you press interact on the keys, then it can be done in a less hackish way. Instead of dipswitches, use your own sprites in combination with the hitscan function.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 20 February 2020 - 04:36 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I'll give it a try shortly. It didn't crash the game but I didn't run across any buttons to test with. I'll make a test map. Oh, I did notice other enhancements were working.

I never used hitscan or associated functions yet in my projects. It might be tougher for me than hacking a keypad like I planned. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Mark: 20 February 2020 - 04:40 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Button pressing works fine in new Eduke32. So its something on my end either conflicting or there is a small chunk of code I forgot to grab. I spent about a half hour earlier looking for anything obvious, but no luck yet.

Thanks for your offer to look into it. But it looks like it won't be necessary since it only glitches in my project. I'll head over to the Wiki again and see if I can figure out hitscanning. Even if I don't use it right now its something I should know anyways.

This post has been edited by Mark: 20 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

There was a standalone mini-mod that I posted before Essential Duke that had just the button pressing feature and nothing else IIRC. Even though it wasn't the finished version and may have had a bug or two, you are better off starting with that code and then adding in improvements as needed. The code is in a few different places, but at least you can easily identify it because it will be the only code that uses variables and eduke commands.

The problem with trying to port it from Essential Duke is that there are other features mixed in. For example, in "state checkhitscan", there's a bunch of stuff about the laser dot that you don't want, but you still need the overall function.

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah, your Easy Button Mod. But after you incorporated it into ED the download link disappeared. I asked you if you had it and IIRC I didn't get a reply. You were neck deep in other stuff. So I just moved on to something else.

So you think I might need the laser dot code for the open button to work?

EDIT. I just looked to see what it would take to get the laser dot back in. Mission Impossible. Thats a whole lot of code spread over the file.

This post has been edited by Mark: 20 February 2020 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Just in case ... Attached File  easybuttons.zip (23.48K)
Number of downloads: 152

User is offline   Mark 

Easy Buttons is also the entire modified GAME.CON file so I had the same lack of success trying to copy/paste out only the parts I need. I can get the shoot buttons to work but not the press buttons. I found the gamevars, the states, the event and code lines outside the actor and some inside the actor. No log errors but I just can't figure out what code I still need to make it work 100 percent. Maybe some day before I release this next project I'll have the smarts to figure it out. :rolleyes:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The map that inspired the feature and that I tested it on is adg06, by Alejandro Glavic, released in 2017: https://forums.duke4...-release-adg06/

It has a room with tightly packed buttons, and I got to it without enough bullets when I played it for the first time.

I'm pleased to report that I just tested it using my latest build of AA and latest Eduke32, and my easy button feature still works correctly.

User is offline   Mark 

As a last ditch effort I worked backwards. Instead of copy/pasting only the code I thought I needed I grabbed the whole file and started removing chunks that interfered with my mod or were showing up as duplications in the error log. The con started at 8,600 lines long and ended up at 96 lines. But my results were still the same. I can shoot the tightly packed switches but not press them. I've said in the past that I mod for the fun of it. I'm waiting for the fun part... :rolleyes:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

My code does nothing to change how shooting of switches works with an actual gun, it only activates when the player is trying to press them.

Anyway, that method you described won't work if you have code that interferes elsewhere in your mod. If you already have variables of the same name in your mod that are being used for other purposes, that could easily break it. The most likely place it is getting broken is in EVENT_PROCESSINPUT. You should have code that looks something like this:

set xydist scandist
abs xydist
ifl xydist 1561
{
	ifn scannedsprite -1
	{
		switch sprite[scannedsprite].picnum
		case DIPSWITCH case 163
		case DIPSWITCH2 case 165
		case DIPSWITCH3 case 169
		// case HANDSWITCH case 1112
		// case ALIENSWITCH case 1143
		ifvarand bits 536870912 // player pressing space
		{
			xorvar bits 536870912
			setinput[].bits bits
			ifvarand lastinput 536870912 set shootswitch 0 else
			set shootswitch 1
		}
		break
		endswitch
	}
}

scandist has been set in the checkhitscan state, and is how far away the player's hitscan is hitting. scannedsprite is also set in there, and has a sprite ID of a hitscanned sprite (if there is one). bits has been set to input.bits by this point in the code. If that has been changed for some reason, then this code won't work. Assuming the player is pressing space and bits is set to the corresponding value, and the hitscan happened and set scandist and scannedsprite appropriately, then the code above should initiate the process of shooting the switch with the invisible short-ranged bullet.

User is offline   Mark 

The Easy Button and ED versions are slightly different. They interchange "bits" and "temp". Also one uses "ifn scannedsprite" and the other "ifn hitsprite". One version I tried is exactly what you posted. So something in my mod might be interfering but I wouldn't have a clue where to look.

This post has been edited by Mark: 21 February 2020 - 02:08 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Trooper Dan said: "My code does nothing to change how shooting of switches works with an actual gun, it only activates when the player is trying to press them."

Oh. I was under the impression your code improved the accuracy of shooting or pressing to allow a very small, tight grouping of switches. I guess I'll have to disable the new code and see if I can still shoot the tiny switches.

Edit: Yes I can. Duh, I don't know why I thought your code dealt with accuracy. I could swear that I wasn't able to group switches so close together before.

This post has been edited by Mark: 22 February 2020 - 04:45 AM

Link is dead ;)

View PostDanukem, on 25 May 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Essential Duke is a mod that aims to make a variety of small improvements to vanilla Duke using only a single CON file. Compared with my other mods, it is light and compact, and much more faithful to the base game. To install, you simply add the included EDUKE.CON to your vanilla game folder and run the game normally. Essential Duke should work equally well in all renderers.

I'm calling this a beta because it has only been tested by myself, and I may have missed some bugs or rebalancing needs. Features are listed by category below under the spoiler tags.

DOWNLOAD

If you aren't logged into dropbox, there is an annoying pop-up which asks you to do so, but you can just close it and do a direct download without having a dropbox account.

EDIT: updated download to include shark shrinking bugfix, and laser dot shadow bugfix
EDIT2: updated again to remove speed penalty on armor and improve enemy pal choices
EDIT3: updated to fix unpressable alien button bug
EDIT4: also fixed possible phantom keycard bug
EDIT5: official (non beta) release -- a few minor bigfixes
EDIT6 August 3, 2017 -- fixed steroids while shrunk causing perma-shrinkage, and fixed a minor bug with vests
EDIT7 September 4, 2017 -- added map specific fixes for some ambient sounds not playing, sprites not spawning, and recon car paths

Bugfixes:
Spoiler

Cosmetic:
Spoiler

Gameplay:
Spoiler

Link is dead... Do someone has the files?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options