Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior betas released! - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior betas released!

User is offline   Kawa 

Can confirm, TILES004.ART tiles 160-165 are a cacodemon, former human, sergeant, imp, cyberdemon, and spider mastermind.

View PostKawa, on 25 July 2017 - 06:54 AM, said:

Can confirm, TILES004.ART tiles 160-165 are a cacodemon, former human, sergeant, imp, cyberdemon, and spider mastermind.

That's kinda cool that we know they used Doom art as temp assets.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Everyone did it. The Corridor 8 prototype comes to mind.

Similarly,

04/07/1994: Here is an early snapshot of the Build Engine distribution: Build_Apr1994.zip (515,806 bytes, 02/08/2008) At this point, the editor and sample game are looking a lot like the final version. Of course it's missing many of the bells & whistles which were to come. Note: I removed the Doom guy (used only in serial link mode) and 1 wav file to avoid copyright issues.

Corridor 8 is basically a kit bash of Doom and Duke 3D assets and engine. BTW, how Build engine was distributed to its licensors? Was it just a source code, or there were some assets added to it, for example, the textures and sprites from Ken Silverman's demo?

User is offline   leilei 

It was just only compiled .obj files (Build itself) and some sample game source (Kenbuild). The 94 beta shows a very Kenbuildian state

This post has been edited by leilei: 25 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

• Weaponized Autism

The 1993 proof of concept and the custom exe for September 1995 are now live on Steam.

User is offline   neznam 

I think the 1994 build did get developed further, someone some time ago posted this scan (from July 1995) with a SW screenshot featuring a centred uzi and the old sumo wrestler in the top right-hand corner.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by neznam: 25 July 2017 - 11:46 PM

User is offline   Kawa 

Ah geez that '93 POC is just so... so barely Shadow Warrior it almost made me choke on my cereal.

View Postneznam, on 25 July 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

I think the 1994 build did get developed further, someone some time ago posted this scan (from July 1995) with a SW screenshot featuring a centred uzi and the old sumo wrestler in the top right-hand corner.

It appears that there's a '95 ninja there though.

Anyway, just checked out the new stuff.

'93's build starts out with a funny cutscene

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

but it's a pretty barebones demo with no weapons or functional enemies (outside of some walking ninjas). The HUD reminds me of Ultima (is this really built on the ROTT engine?).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The late '95 build is pretty fucking awesome, even though it's obviously more unfinished than the first '96 build. Sound effects are almost non-existent and weapon sprites aren't displaying correctly (there's no uzi viewmodel sprite, but the reload animation appears; could be a result of the .exe hack). I've only tested E1L1 so far. Unlike the other builds where you start on a boat (mid '95) or already inside the compound ('96 builds), this one starts at the side of a temple with the sea behind you.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The first enemies you encounter are fully functional Coolies that are now hostile to you.

Posted Image
Posted Image

But the coolest thing by far is that magic spells are still in the game this late (though snuffed out between now and the first '96 build, sadly).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
(no fancy hand movements though)

The vomiting head thing started here, and enemies actively try to kick your head around (did Blood come up with this first or SW?)

Posted Image
Posted Image

As usual, thanks to Hendricks for working on their release, but I hope there's documents explaining the shifts in the directions and the plans for the game at the time of compilations so we can better understand the context behind each build.

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 26 July 2017 - 01:46 AM

• Weaponized Autism

You should find a way to take better screenshots. These should all be at 320x200, not your laptop's res (1366x768).

Press Ctrl+F5 to DOSBox to drop a PNG in the capture folder.

View PostPikaCommando, on 26 July 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

(is this really built on the ROTT engine?).

Has someone been making things up and sharing them as fact again?

See KareBear's post.

I have to say, I really like the 95 build. Out of all the beta's, this one is my favorite. I like the art style, it feels like a nice mix of Quake and Hexen.

• Weaponized Autism

I'll upvote anyone who can rip the assets from the 1993 proof of concept, so we can compare them to the 1994 build.

View PostHendricks266, on 26 July 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

I'll upvote anyone who can rip the assets from the 1993 proof of concept, so we can compare them to the 1994 build.

How much stuff is actually in there?

User is offline   Svanis 

I really love the chain lightning weapon, so cool. I think I saw a ninja kill himself, so that might be implemented here. You can for some reason rotate the entire screen with the keys right of L.

Also, I'm suprised nobody has commented on the wonderful text files left in the folders by the developers, detailing map changes and so forth. Check the sw950210 folder.

Is the October 31 build something that will be released in the future?

This post has been edited by Svanis: 26 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View Posticecoldduke, on 26 July 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

How much stuff is actually in there?

Not much.

That late 95 build has a surprisingly good third-person view, way better (more dynamic camera) than in any released Build game.

User is offline   Svanis 

View PostCryptKiller, on 26 July 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

That late 95 build has a surprisingly good third-person view, way better (more dynamic camera) than in any released Build game.

I second this, also it's made even better when you die and see your decapitated head puke enemies to death that come near it, which is even animated on the minimap (TAB).

It seems to use the menu music unless you type SWWARP 11 or restart the episode, which will start the level with the correct music.

This post has been edited by Svanis: 26 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

User is offline   leilei 

The grenade launcher's rotated drawing animation suddenly makes a lot more sense now. Fun that the recoil is still intact

Also did anyone notice the 9-95 beta has the earliest Mark Build sound/screen setup program? It has a few differences (old Build videomode list rather than VGA + VESA1/2 modes, norton-ish light blue window background for submenus, no RTS support and no names). Duke3D keynames are still left over so don't make bullshit rumors about lo wang having a holoduke in a hidden still not yet unearthed beta. Doom already had that kind of shit when 0.99 shareware had a contribution from Cygnus for their Raptor setup program

This post has been edited by leilei: 26 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHendricks266, on 26 July 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

Half the puzzle is solved: the NC1.FLI file is a FLIC animation of the same format you can find in Duke Nukem II, and is viewable using K1n9_Duk3's Enormous Tool.

A direct conversion to gif, using the tool:

Posted Image

• Weaponized Autism

gamearch.exe from Camoto by Malvineous is able to identify the NINJA.DAT file as the same kind of container as the one used in Monster Bash and ScubaVenture, but there must be some slight variations because it is unable to extract everything.

This lends support to KareBear's recollection that the engine used in this beta was written by Gerald Lindsly, as he wrote the F.A.S.T. engine used in Monster Bash and ScubaVenture.

One of the things it can extract successfully is "Palette1", a standard VGA palette, 6-bit per component.

Posted Image

So what was the story Jim pitched to Scott? Was Shadow Warrior supposed to be a superhero style game, where you play as a ordinary guy that puts on a ninja costume and magically has super powers? That's what I see from the gif you posted.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 26 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

• Weaponized Autism

I have no information that could answer your question.

User is offline   Romulus 

I wish it was possible to have developer commentary available for these alpha/beta concept builds.

User is offline   Frenkel 

View PostHendricks266, on 26 July 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

The beta of Realms of Chaos also uses this file format.

• Weaponized Autism

Malvineous has generously been lending his talents to get at the data in NINJA.DAT. Progress so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler

It is evident that the first Shadow Warrior ideas where inspired by the 80's Chi Kueng "Godfrey" Ho filmography. Or better to say, by the countless movies who he stole and glued together. The final version is more 90's Ninja Turtles.

User is offline   Lunick 

Wow, that background image is animated? Sweet!

I really like the art style of this version.

• Weaponized Autism

I don't know if it's actually intended to be animated or if the 4 parts are supposed to be interleaved to form a bigger image, because it looks rather strange as an animation. I would need to decompile the executable to see if there is any code referring to it in there.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

Since there are 4 parts, I would assume it's interleaved. Many Mode-X VGA games (Wolf3D, Hocus Pocus, Realms of Chaos) store image data in four planes to make copying the data into the 4 VGA planes easier.

User is offline   Frenkel 

View PostHendricks266, on 28 July 2017 - 03:49 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those images are in NINJA.DAT?
They don't show up in the game.

I've disassembled NINJA.EXE to see which keys you can press on your keyboard and I couldn't find a fire-key.
It does set a bit from 0 to 1 when you press Enter one time and it stays 1, but I don't know what this bit does.

BTW Hendricks266 do you have Cybertank and does it use the same file formats as Monster Bash, Scubaventure, Realms of Chaos beta and this Shadow Warrior prototype?

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options