• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem

View PostZor, on 06 July 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

They should be ignored completely.

Why not attempt to make something that offends them the MOST, instead? Or better, something that makes EVERYONE butthurt! Of course, I mean for political reasons, NOT for incompetence in level design, interactivity or enemy AI.
Like having a female character who wants to kill all males in the name of female supremacy, and having Duke kill her while quipping "Die, cunt! I'm for gender equality!" or something to that effect. Or having Duke board an alien mothership in orbit, fire three death rays toward Rome, Mecca and Jerusalem and say "Finally, the three bastard children of the whore god are dead!"

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 07 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

I don't think Duke would be mad and say things like that to a killer feminist, he's a devil-may-care badass, he'd probably just make a joke and hit on her I assume. But evil feminist women wanting to kill Duke was already done in Nuclear Winter, so that has what you're looking for. If he fights any female villains they should be aliens. I like that he only kills aliens (well and pig cop mutants) generally. But I'd think a female alien would probably defect to Duke's side, since he has "the touch" as Stan Bush sings.

View PostKaijuTurtle, on 07 July 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

I can't believe today's the day. I haven't posted much in anticipation of this coming up because I don't think I have anything worth trying to bring to Randy's attention, but I really hope that the outcome of this meeting leaves us all with a positive outlook for the future of Duke.

I'll be at work while the actual livestream goes down so I'm holding out for a VOD- this is being recorded right?

They mentioned youtube live, so that should still be up on youtube to watch after. Looking forward to it!

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatsee: 07 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

No need to be offensive just to the hell of it, the game and the character will gain nothing from it. Besides, SJWs will look for a reason to be offended regardless, that's their thing after all, the best to do is just make Duke what Duke is (a badass muthaf*** who gets shit done) and ignore any hyper-sensitive critiscism.

View PostPsychoGoatsee, on 07 July 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

But evil feminist women wanting to kill Duke was already done in Nuclear Winter, so that has what you're looking for.

Actually, it has an embryo of what I'm looking for. It doesn't cause enough rage.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostAltered Reality, on 07 July 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Why not attempt to make something that offends them the MOST, instead? Or better, something that makes EVERYONE butthurt! Of course, I mean for political reasons, NOT for incompetence in level design, interactivity or enemy AI.
Like having a female character who wants to kill all males in the name of female supremacy, and having Duke kill her while quipping "Die, cunt! I'm for gender equality!" or something to that effect. Or having Duke board an alien mothership in orbit, fire three death rays toward Rome, Mecca and Jerusalem and say "Finally, the three bastard children of the whore god are dead!"

Or even much better, why not to make a separate IP and put this stuff there, that would really work much better considering politics wasn't a huge focus in Duke Nukem games. Though this would work for Postal games too.

It is leftist style from America to ruin established franchises with their own political or other personal bullshit they love to force. Those people do this either for the sake of controversy or just for the sake of propaganda which is why everything they do have no soul or heart. Even if you're joking about this, I think it's worth saying that Duke wasn't exclusively about making everyone butthurt or something and it sounds like people don't realize this, controversy wasn't the biggest and main selling point, Duke 3D was a great game with shitton of great things which developers put with great love and care. Duke was more than just some political commentary, just like he was more than action heroes parody as well.

Personally I despite PC culture, but there is no reason to overdo this, not in games where it wasn't a the biggest focus to begin with. Duke Nukem was never some soulless propaganda tool.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Drop all the crappy politics and trolling, just focus on making a good Duke game. Amen to that.

There have been four Doom games by id so far, two Duke FPS games, we need Duke to catch up! Actually he needs to beat Quake and Doom combined, and Wolfenstein, let's start making these!

• Polymancer

Where's the link to the live stream?

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostTea Monster, on 07 July 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

I'm guessing it's gonna occur just on the duke4net yt channel? But I agree it would be nice to have some sort of confirmation that it's actually happening there or not.

• Polymancer

Yep, just so we don't mess around looking between GBX, Duke4, etc. and miss something.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostTea Monster, on 07 July 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

Waiting on Gearbox to give it to us.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Correction: The Youtube livestream starts at 3 PM CDT, not 3 PM CST. We will post the link here.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Youtube Live Stream is here https://www.youtube....h?v=6JephRoi3os (formerly http://youtu.be/TPNrsNGHSpc)

User is offline   LkMax 

So, Randy only want to use Duke again if he thinks he can pull a GTA V gigantic level of sales. It gotta be all or nothing, too afraid of even calculated risks.
Well folks, all hail eDuke32 for another 20 years of being the only decent Duke content. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 05 July 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

Posted Image

Thanks for posting this. I would not have known to mention it in the Youtube livestream otherwise.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

OK That was fun.

I missed a few minutes of it due to internet short outs, but I was glad that they addressed the JSJ Voice concerns.

Anyone wanna sum up what we know for sure?

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Stream was awesome, thank you for all the parties who made it possible to happen.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

That was fantastic. Thanks to Randy, Yatta, TX, Fred, and the Gearbox staff for arranging this, and an extra special congratulations to Voidpoint for formally announcing Ion Maiden (I love the name!).

Thanks for that guys!

That was definitely great, more than what I expected and with actual worthwhile results. Can't wait for all the stuff like compilation, HTTKC and Ion Maiden. Would be nice to see that E3 video, by the way. :P

User is offline   LkMax 

Aww, I was 10 minutes behind when the video was cut. :P
Despite the bad news about no game in sight I liked hearing the discussion, so thanks for everyone involved.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 07 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

Maybe it's for good that they haven't started new game yet, they need to find competent team to make good one and for that they have to assemble specific developers, one company won't be able to make great new Duke game.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I missed pretty much all of it (was out with my wife for an anniversary date), but I'm glad to hear it went over very well. Can't wait to see the archived footage and/or read the condensed text summary! Thanks again for initiating this, Randy! Thanks to everyone involved and who made this happen!

User is offline   xMobilemux 

The possibility of licensed Duke games is still there though, especially from Slipgate, however I personally don't like the idea of a Duke game being made in a cartoon style way that Fred described.

If we're gonna have a Duke side scroller, I'd rather it be done in the same vein as Manhattan Project.

• Polymancer

Thanks to Randy for reaching out to us. I don't know many game devs who would, or have done this.

Hopefully some of the topics covered will see fruition.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 July 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

Can't wait to see the archived footage...

It's back up at the same link so you can watch from start if you want.

View PostNeverSawFreeWilly, on 07 July 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

It's back up at the same link so you can watch from start if you want.

I refreshed the page and it's gone, so they didn't save the stream it seems. I think you need to enable saving function to save your stream on YouTube.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 07 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Oh, it's back as an archived video, must've been a temporary problem.

PS:

View PostxMobilemux, on 07 July 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

I personally don't like the idea of a Duke game being made in a cartoon style way that Fred described.
If we're gonna have a Duke side scroller, I'd rather it be done in the same vein as Manhattan Project.

Totally agree, I really dislike the cartoon style of Borderlands and cel-shading like in TF2, for FPS gaming at least.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 07 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

Guess YouTube did stream processing before archiving it.

View PostLkMax, on 07 July 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

Totally agree, I really dislike the cartoon style of Borderlands and cel-shading like in TF2, for gaming at least.

They could use cell-shading style like in Guilty Gear Xrd. :P Characters in Xrd look like sprites even though ASW (developer) used 3D models.

But yeah, cartoonish style would be kinda lame for Duke.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 07 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostSledgehammer, on 07 July 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

I refreshed the page and it's gone, so they didn't save the stream it seems. I think you need to enable saving function to save your stream on YouTube.

Oh, it's back as an archived video, must've been a temporary problem.

I may troll/provoke but I won't lie to you. :P

Note: Randy is mistaken regarding the source code... it was a couple of days and mostly weekend/evening attention. No DNF time of note lost. That said, it was an easier effort than WT would be.

Totally agree, I really dislike the cartoon style of Borderlands and cel-shading like in TF2, for FPS gaming at least.

Cartoon Duke would be fine for general players but I agree... I'd consider it a tragedy over something more grounded.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options