Duke4.net Forums: OSX install issues - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OSX install issues

I've been using eduke32 on Windows computers for a little while with no issue, but decided I wanted to install the OSX version on my iMac. I have everything in a folder, but when I go to start, it says the program cannot find the .grp file. I read the install guidelines in the Wiki, and it says that the program will automatically look for a folder, but it seems weird that I cannot just tell it where the file is. Can this be worked around? It is impossible to name a folder ".eduke32", because of the period. OSX won't let you do that.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/ does not work?

You can mkdir ~/.eduke32/ with the Terminal.

View PostHendricks266, on 03 February 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/ does not work?

You can mkdir ~/.eduke32/ with the Terminal.

I did look up how to make a hidden folder and managed to do that, but I still don't know where to put it in the file system. I've tried it as a sub-folder in the folder with the game executable, and I've tried it in my base user directory, but the software hasn't picked it up either time. I'm not particularly familiar with OSX.

This post has been edited by phatcyclist: 03 February 2017 - 08:46 PM

• Weaponized Autism

The ~ character has a special meaning on Unix-like operating systems, referring to your user directory. "~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/" and "~/.eduke32/" are fully formed paths that you can create and navigate into.

View PostHendricks266, on 03 February 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

The ~ character has a special meaning on Unix-like operating systems, referring to your user directory. "~/Library/Application Support/EDuke32/" and "~/.eduke32/" are fully formed paths that you can create and navigate into.

I can find the folder where it seems like it should be, but the executable still won't find it. I have administrator privileges on my account, and the folder should have full read and write capabilities, if that matters. Perhaps there's something wrong with my OSX install.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

This thread motivated me to install eduke32 for mac on my new macbook pro running MacOS Sierra v10.12.3. When I opened it up (using the default data from my Megaton installation), the game seems to run in the bottom left corner of the window.

It doesn't seem to produce any kind of log file in the application support folder (which is empty).

This is what I get when I navigate to ~/.eduke32 in my terminal. It looks fine, but I still cannot get the program to find the files.

Last login: Sat Feb 4 00:02:04 on ttys000
iMac:~ User$ cd ~/.eduke32
iMac:.eduke32 User$ ls -alF
total 21952
drwxr-xr-x 5 User staff 170 Feb 4 00:03 ./
drwxr-xr-x+ 21 User staff 714 Feb 3 23:34 ../
-rw-r--r--@ 1 User staff 6148 Feb 4 00:04 .DS_Store
-rwxr-xr-x 1 User staff 188954 Feb 3 23:41 duke.rts*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 User staff 11035779 Feb 3 23:42 duke3d.grp*
iMac:.eduke32 User$

• Weaponized Autism

Sorry for the troubles. Our Mac support has almost completely relied on community contributions, so we have work to do when it comes to user experience.

View PostMicky C, on 03 February 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

This thread motivated me to install eduke32 for mac on my new macbook pro running MacOS Sierra v10.12.3. When I opened it up (using the default data from my Megaton installation), the game seems to run in the bottom left corner of the window.

It doesn't seem to produce any kind of log file in the application support folder (which is empty).

Thanks for giving it a shot, I'm always glad to get bug reports from a fellow engineer.

I suspect the bottom left corner is related to us not properly accounting for a Retina display. Is that behavior common to software and OpenGL, windowed and fullscreen?

View Postphatcyclist, on 03 February 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

This is what I get when I navigate to ~/.eduke32 in my terminal. It looks fine, but I still cannot get the program to find the files.

That looks fine to me too. I don't know what the problem could be, but it is probably on our end. When you launch, do you see a line similar to "Using /Users/<username>/.eduke32/ for game data"?

View PostHendricks266, on 04 February 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

Sorry for the troubles. Our Mac support has almost completely relied on community contributions, so we have work to do when it comes to user experience.

Thanks for giving it a shot, I'm always glad to get bug reports from a fellow engineer.

I suspect the bottom left corner is related to us not properly accounting for a Retina display. Is that behavior common to software and OpenGL, windowed and fullscreen?

That looks fine to me too. I don't know what the problem could be, but it is probably on our end. When you launch, do you see a line similar to "Using /Users/<username>/.eduke32/ for game data"?

When i launch, it looks like it's searching for game data in the folder with the application, and not the hidden folder in the user account I made earlier. However, I put a copy of both files in there as well and it gives me the same error. Just for good measure, I also copied that hidden folder into the application folder as a sub folder, and that didn't work either. I am using OSX 10.11.6.

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 04 February 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

I can quickly write a mean fortran program or R script, but otherwise I don't think we're on the same level with software Posted Image

From what I can see, the quarter window issue only occurs with openGL in window mode. OpenGL is fine in fullscreen, classic is always fine.

User is offline   rhoenie 

View PostMicky C, on 08 February 2017 - 02:16 AM, said:

I can quickly write a mean fortran program or R script, but otherwise I don't think we're on the same level with software Posted Image

From what I can see, the quarter window issue only occurs with openGL in window mode. OpenGL is fine in fullscreen, classic is always fine.

I have just re-uploaded a new version eduke32_osx-sdl2_lion_svn6061.dmg to the server. I changed one line in the Info.plist - not sure if it caused this behaviour on your machine.
Could you please download this one and try again?

• Honored Donor

View Postrhoenie, on 11 February 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

I have just re-uploaded a new version eduke32_osx-sdl2_lion_svn6061.dmg to the server. I changed one line in the Info.plist - not sure if it caused this behaviour on your machine.

It's working properly now. Thanks Rhoenie!

I'm now up to the ultimate challenge: building on linux :P

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

• Weaponized Autism

No, the ultimate challenge is building for Android. :P

Building on Linux (and Mac too, actually) for your own use on the same machine is trivial. Just install the necessary dependencies through the package manager and run `make`.

• Honored Donor

Yep, I've already done it :P (I'm now in love with the Terminal).

However I'm having control and sound issues. It may be because I'm running Ubuntu on a virtual machine. Then again I didn't consider any of the build options. I'll investigate further at a later time.

Coincidentally I've gotten into Mac homebrew recently so I'll also give building it on macOS a shot later.

Kudos on the excellent wiki documentation.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

• Honored Donor

So I'm trying to create an apple script to run eduke32 for the AMC TC. I've looked at Rhonie's scripts for DNF 2013 and so on, but I'd like to do something a bit different. Being a stand-alone TC, IMO it'd be best if the user can just download and extract a folder, and run the script inside to start the game, without fussing about anything else like moving the app to the applications folder. I know it's not the "Mac way", however there's also the thought of guaranteeing that the player uses the version included with the TC to ensure functionality.

So the script just launches the application and game data from within the directory that contains the script. However it doesn't seem to want to find the game data. I've tried several variants of the script.

Here's the apple script:

set current_path to POSIX path of ((path to me as text) & "::")

tell application "Terminal"
set my_script to current_path & "EDuke32.app/Contents/MacOS/eduke32 -g " & current_path & "AMCTC.GRP"
do script (my_script)
activate
end tell

Here's the terminal output:
LC02SW8AAHF1R:~ Michael$ /Users/Michael/amc_tc/EDuke32.app/Contents/MacOS/eduke32 -g /Users/Michael/amc_tc/AMCTC.GRP

EDuke32 r6061 (64-bit) C++ build

Compiled Feb 12 2017 11:50:21

Using /Users/Michael/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/ for game data

Using /Users/Michael/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/dc/ for game data

Using /Users/Michael/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/nw/ for game data

Using /Users/Michael/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/vacation/ for game data

Application parameters: -g /Users/Michael/amc_tc/AMCTC.GRP

Using /Users/Michael/amc_tc/EDuke32.app/Contents/Resources/ for game data

Using /Users/Michael/ for game data

Using /Users/Michael/.eduke32/ for game data

Initializing SDL 2.0.5

Using "cocoa" video driver

Searching for game data...

• Weaponized Autism

It's been 5+ years since the first and only time I touched AppleScript, but you need to specify the path relative to one of the paths EDuke32 is using for game data. If you can strip the "/Users/Michael/" out of "/Users/Michael/amc_tc/AMCTC.GRP", it should work.

• Honored Donor

Unfortunately that didn't work. In fact, changing the location of the -g ..../AMCTC.GRP has no effect. The "Using .... for game data" is the same as what I've pasted above.

P.s I've got it working correctly on ubuntu now. The controls were simply fixed by changing the OS mouse sensitivity, and the sound somehow fixed itself. I've also built it on macOS without any issues.

• Honored Donor

So back to the AMC TC, how do I get it running on macOS? In the past if the data was in the application support folder it worked, however I've got Megaton installed, and that seems to be overwriting the game data path.

User is offline   James66 

View Postrhoenie, on 11 February 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

Hi Rhoenie,
I don't know if you still follow this log, but I have the same problem that you fixed some year ago on eduke32 program. My current eduke32 version is R.9598.

I can't see any .grp files in the starting window. I also placed .grp files in the paths where program search for, but the .grp file are not shown in the dialog.
You modified the info.plist file, would you please tell me what you made or upload a new version?
thank you

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options