• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm Tour  "Randy hinted at something for December 1st"

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostThe Albino Ape, on 01 December 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

At this rate I'd prefer another VA to voice Duke than Jon.

I'd do it:

...But I'm not very pleased with the direction they're taking the character, so I probably wouldn't. That video is also my opinion on this announcement. :mellow:

NukemDave your voice is still good it does sound like a very young Duke

User is offline   NNC 

I've defended Randy because I love WT (for its awesome new episode), and never thought he was at fault for the failure of DNF, but this sucks. Sucks big donkey balls.

What we see here is a reskin of a 5 year old game, which is basically irrelevant to the Duke franchise, and try to sell it as a new Duke game. Nice try, but no. What's next? Doom 4 or a Serious Sam game with Duke as playable character? Really? REALLY?

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostxMobilemux, on 01 December 2016 - 01:40 AM, said:

Maybe Randy's statement about Duke not being good business at the moment is not far off and Gearbox (possibly) putting him in Bulletstorm are slowly trying to make Duke great again by having him make small appearances and slowly rebuilding his popularity over time and then when Duke has pretty much become huge again they'll finally give him a brand new game.

Re-releasing older games and putting him in crossovers isn't going to make him "huge" again.

The only way to Make Duke Great Again is to create a kick ass game that takes everyone by surprise (like DOOM 2016) and stop botching the character.

They need start by looking at Duke3D and see what made the game so great and what people really enjoyed about it. Embrace the 80s/90s action movie vibe.

This post has been edited by Zor: 01 December 2016 - 07:17 PM

User is offline   funduke 

It's not avaiable in germany. :mellow:

User is offline   Shawneth 

It's not hard to please this community.. Just make a decent game! Why does Duke need another damn remake, reiteration, reinvention, and the list goes on!! Everyone knows that Duke Nukem Forever wasn't what it should've been, but that doesn't mean his icon is dead. There's so much potential and it's being wasted with all of these ReDukes. If anything, they should just make Duke Nukem public domain and watch the community create something beyond what Gearbox could even dream. [/rant]

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

So Gearbox won't let the fans make anything judging from the cease and desists against fan projects here, won't let any other companies make anything based on shutting down both of Interceptors projects down, won't let the diehards do anything based on Voidpoint and Hail To The King, won't release old assets and builds that were being worked on for public interest, won't release mod tools for Duke Forever or look at other Duke games for porting or re-releasing and Randy/Gearbox wonder why the franchise isn't profitable or gaining interest when they come out and announce a re-release of Bulletstorm which is a game I enjoy quite a lot but with the lazy addition of a Duke model ripped from a 5 year old game and Jon St John sounding like he's either recovering from throat surgery or has given up on life.

Gearbox has killed the Duke. Randy has killed the Duke. Never bet on Duke.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

The fact that they just used the DNF model and didn't come up with a brand new, kickass model of Duke, tells me they really don't have much love for the character. I sensed way more compassion and interest for the character when 3D Realms/Interceptor still held some rights. Even though they're not big-budget, I think he would've been better off there with them.

On a second note, loading Duke's sentences with multiple cuss words doesn't feel like Duke to me. Yeah, he cusses, but that's going overboard. I find it obnoxious whenever they do that to any character. Not the Duke I remember.

That's because it isn't Duke, I'm almost entirely sure thats Grayson Hunts dialogue from Bulletstorm unaltered in Dukes voice with censorship thrown on the top of it. Though it's a clear representation of what Gearbox thinks Duke is, they could have done a cross-over with something mildly relevant like Shadow Warrior or Rise of the Triad, they could have created a short original campaign expansion with a cheesy cross-over where the Rigelatins cross paths with Grayson and Duke shows up, they could have put their mind power to use for over a minute and put in the effort to create something worth while but it didn't happen.

A full priced re-release 'remaster' that looks barely touched, for full price, with lazy ass Duke DLC thrown in. Boo Randy. Boo.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 01 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

I don't think they'd even have to create a new model one from scratch. The unused one from DNF already is miles better.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 01 December 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

The fact that they just used the DNF model and didn't come up with a brand new, kickass model of Duke, tells me they really don't have much love for the character. I sensed way more compassion and interest for the character when 3D Realms/Interceptor still held some rights. Even though they're not big-budget, I think he would've been better off there with them.

On a second note, loading Duke's sentences with multiple cuss words doesn't feel like Duke to me. Yeah, he cusses, but that's going overboard. I find it obnoxious whenever they do that to any character. Not the Duke I remember.

BUT EETS HILLARYOUS LOLLOLOLL

Spoiler

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Well I'll prob end up getting this because I really liked Bulletstorm, haven't played it in a while and I must have Duke in my Bulletstorm.

Things to take away from this:

The Good:
- First time we'll see Duke in actual cutscenes with facial animations(excluding that 1 scene in the DNF trailer)
- Duke FPS hands and Mighty Boot(hopefully).
- Bulletstorm with Duke will be great!

The Bad:
- The fact that it's a pre order bonus only.
- Reused DNF model
- Those hair textures

The Ugly:
- 50 FUCKING DOLLARS!!!!

My opinions:
- The Duke lines don't sound that bad, way better than the World Tour ones.
- Duke making cameo appearances in Gearbox published games is something I'm ok with.

So yeah I will get this because I want Bulletstorm with Duke, I've wanted that every single time I played it, but I'll wait a little bit to see if the price drops before release.

To be clear I actually loved Bulletstorm for what it was and have been hoping for a sequel since it released in 2011 but it doesn't really work to just randomly model swap Grayson with Duke. Duke was a bad-ass before Gearbox got near the franchise now it's gradually sliding into retard territory and Gearbox seems to think that Duke goes well with Bulletstorms cheesy pulpy universe which I personally enjoy but it is absolutely NOT Duke. I would never imagine Duke saying 'dicktits' with jokes about rimjobs, something that works in Bulletstorm because it manages to be entertaining and the world and narrative are both awesome but it sure as fuck doesn't fit with the Duke universe at all and makes a mockery out of the former ultimate alien ass-kicker. I've about given up on the franchise. In Pitchfords hands its worthless and there's no hope. Unless they give it to someone who cares, hire Broussard as a creative adviser, or otherwise do something to push it in the right direction they can go fuck themselves and their shitty attempts to cashing in on the IP.

The only good thing to come out of this is a slightly updated Bulletstorm on PC with no GFWL. But I'm not paying $50, I own it already.

My opinions:
- The Duke lines don't sound that bad, way better than the World Tour ones.

lol. audiologist appointment for you!

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 01 December 2016 - 07:54 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The Duke model really doesn't matter too much, you will only see him in cut scenes and his legs when you give guys the boot.
What will be awkward is he likely has the exact same animations as the main character does in the cut scenes.

Duke Nukem is now a pre-order bonus. Thanks for saving Duke, Randy.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Hahahah, this is fucking cancer.

Posted Image

View PostNancsi, on 01 December 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

I've defended Randy because I love WT (for its awesome new episode), and never thought he was at fault for the failure of DNF, but this sucks. Sucks big donkey balls.

What we see here is a reskin of a 5 year old game, which is basically irrelevant to the Duke franchise, and try to sell it as a new Duke game. Nice try, but no. What's next? Doom 4 or a Serious Sam game with Duke as playable character? Really? REALLY?

For the record, I'd throw like 10 bucks towards having Duke in DOOM (4), that would be pretty fun. Add a reason to play it through a third time.

This particular project doesn't interest me (wasn't a fan of Bulletstorm's gameplay), but I do think Duke might as well be in every game. Preferably Overwatch, since I play that one.

View PostxMobilemux, on 01 December 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

The Bad:
- The fact that it's a pre order bonus only.
- Reused DNF model
- Those hair textures

It says "free" over the promo so I imagine you can still wait and buy the Duke add on after the game is released. It's only free if you pre-order it.

This post has been edited by hismasterplan: 01 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The only thing I don't like about this is they're still using the ugly Douche Nukem getup. Bring old Duke's look back, not this frat boy. Ugh.

Oh, and it being only a preorder bonus. I don't like that either. That said, though, I might actually buy Bulletstorm this time around. Would love to play it as Duke.

I want to add something to the good pile.

- There will be new, completely ridiculous Duke recordings to use in custom maps. Get ready for Duke to talk about dick killing parties, shooting dicks, and what the dick.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 01 December 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

For the record, I'd throw like 10 bucks towards having Duke in DOOM (4), that would be pretty fun. Add a reason to play it through a third time.

This particular project doesn't interest me (wasn't a fan of Bulletstorm's gameplay), but I do think Duke might as well be in every game. Preferably Overwatch, since I play that one.

Honestly, I would have bought a Duke Nukem character class pack for BL2.

Posted Image

I can't say I had my expectations set sky high so this is pretty much on par with what I figured we would get. However, my issues are as follow; Jon is hardly trying for a throaty tough guy voice anymore and it's seriously disappointing, the $50 price tag, and on top of it all this doesn't even drop until April. That's another 5 month wait!

Christ almighty randy I know duke fans are notoriously patient but cut us some slack. Nobody is chattering at the teeth with anticipation for a cameo in a rereleased last gen title.

This post has been edited by Trikeen: 01 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

User is online   Lunick 

https://twitter.com/...539291590279168

Posted Image

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Just some wishful thinking here, but remember when Randy went on about an "External Developer" for Duke?

Could Gearbox working with People Can Fly actually mean they are the external developers?

Again just wishful thinking.

I love Bulletstorm, but I wouldn't want them making an actual Duke game I don't think.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

https://youtu.be/CYLGdzZ5XkA

Yeah, half-assing the models port into Bulletstorm is a new level of lazy.

Someone needs to tell JSJ to put the grit back into his performance. TEETH IT UP JSJ! You can pull off that old school Duke, I know ya can. Hell, your vocal cords get thicker as you get older, so you should be sounding even grittier.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 01 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

View PostLunick, on 01 December 2016 - 09:53 PM, said:

This guy, what a cuntface.

Then again..
Posted Image

'Counting on it' is Randys code for seeing if its profitable.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 01 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

How bizarre, I actually thought of this just before when I was driving home from work, and I thought it is a good guess as to what Randy was getting at. What a total non-event in the current trend that seems to be gaming announcements these days.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The only thing Randy counts is shekels.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

First thought when I see the announcement: "oh cool I'll pick it up. I've always wanted to play Bulletstorm and this gives me a great chance to (sees price) hahahahahaha NOPE."

Have they learnt nothing from WT? Do they really think republishing an ancient game at double the reasonable price is going to draw buyers in? With WT and now this, it's almost as if Gearbox is actually trying to drive buyers off in order to prove to themselves that it's a dead franchise. Also, I want to nip this in the bud: Gearbox, please don't start adding "tour" to the end of every Duke game. That's going to get annoying quickly.

I would have been perfectly happy to slap down $20 to pick the game up, but this is ridiculous. While it might have taken a fair amount of work making a port and new 3D renderer from scratch for World Tour, not to mention bringing in big names like Lee Jackson and Levelord which I can vaguely see to justify their price for that, there's no way in hell they could have put in anywhere near the kind of work that would justify such a price tag higher than many brand new quality games like SW2.

If they're hoping with this and WT to tap into some kind of core Duke fanbase, then they're greatly overestimating its size. Not to mention most of what's left is only really interested in eduke32 anyway. Those of us who are keen for a new Gearbox Duke game are losing numbers by the announcement.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Immediate reaction after I read the news:

Posted Image

5 seconds later:

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options