• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm Tour  "Randy hinted at something for December 1st"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't want a new Duke side scroller. I want an FPS. Duke didn't hit megastardom until Duke 3D. It's not rocket science. Just don't choose the absolute worst option for every single aspect of gameplay and it'll be an improvement on the last installment in the franchise.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I always believed that FPSs were always the genre for the main series while the spin offs can be other genres.

Duke should be multigenre cause then he doesn't have to stick to expensive FPSs.

Long time ago I remember reading that before DNF quite a lot of various spin-off games were planned, but only Balls of Steel come to fruition.

Croteam gave the license to various indie devs to make Serious Sam games, what is the problem with doing the same with Duke?

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostCryptKiller, on 05 April 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

Croteam gave the license to various indie devs to make Serious Sam games, what is the problem with doing the same with Duke?

Probably because there is a 100% chance that the outsourced Duke games will understand the Duke character and franchise better than Gearbox ever has or ever will and Gearbox is too chicken shit to be challenged on that.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostCryptKiller, on 05 April 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

Long time ago I remember reading that before DNF quite a lot of various spin-off games were planned, but only Balls of Steel come to fruition.

Well, the Serious Sam indie spin-off games all turned out pretty bad... But as long as they pick good teams to work with, it'd be great to get something like that. Rad Rodgers was pretty neat, and I'd buy a Duke platformer from Interceptor/Slipgate.

View PostxMobilemux, on 05 April 2017 - 02:32 AM, said:

Probably because there is a 100% chance that the outsourced Duke games will understand the Duke character and franchise better than Gearbox ever has or ever will and Gearbox is too chicken shit to be challenged on that.

Unless they work strictly with people from the "hardcore Duke 3D community", I think it could be even worse. It would be like all those ridiculous "what the next Duke Nukem game should be like" articles come to life - far far into Borderlands /comedy land.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 05 April 2017 - 02:41 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postnecroslut, on 05 April 2017 - 02:34 AM, said:

Well, the Serious Sam indie spin-off games all turned out pretty bad...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Uh huh... I look forward to Serious Sam's Bogus Detour.

View PostLunick, on 05 April 2017 - 02:45 AM, said:

Kitten, I've played them. Random Encounter was fun for like five minutes, the others were mostly trash. The Bogus Detour looks far more promising, but its not part of that "Serious Sam indies" campaign from a few years back and I was not referring to it.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 05 April 2017 - 02:58 AM

• Honored Donor

It'd be great if a team could make a decent Duke FPS game. Not a AAA game per se, but not a cheap 'indie retro' FPS either. Surely there can be a happy medium.

View PostMicky C, on 05 April 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

It'd be great if a team could make a decent Duke FPS game. Not a AAA game per se, but not a cheap 'indie retro' FPS either. Surely there can be a happy medium.

In some ways I think a more stylized graphical style would be ideal for Duke - not only could it cut down dev time/cost, but it could make it easier to recapture the look and feel of D3D as well as make the same kind of gameplay more viable. Simpler, more stylized graphics makes the game world easier/quicker to "read" which helps with both fast or tactical combat and navigating complex levels, frees up resources/performance to use on features commonly missing, as well as makes "semi-realistic" levels more easy to accept.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

I would say if anyone wants anything Duke anytime soon I'd start being heard now. Speak up on Twitter and say what you want to see from Gearbox/Slipgate while Randy is still interested because of the potential of money with little effort.

Latest relevant Tweet from Slipgate: https://twitter.com/...514362180182020

Let's get together and talk Duke. We have some fun ideas!

Best chance anyone has of seeing anything Duke anytime soon..

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostLunick, on 05 April 2017 - 02:45 AM, said:

That's the current black on Steam when it comes to indie games. There's like 500 games of this type.

User is offline   Mennuz 

http://www.pcgamer.c...y-could-happen/

If i read this correctly, If the game sells good, there could be a sequel. But on a side note, we can forget about a new Duke.

• Honored Donor

View PostDuke Legacy, on 04 April 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

I don't know if this is real or not going to post it anyway
http://www.tweaktown...rbox/index.html

I'd be surprised if there isn't going to be a new FPS Duke game ever. Gearbox has put him in two new projects within a very short time frame. Clearly they're trying to bring Duke back to the public eye. It'd make sense to take advantage of that at some point as opposed to letting the momentum fizzle out.

User is offline   trustn0! 

View PostMennuz, on 05 April 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

http://www.pcgamer.c...y-could-happen/

If i read this correctly, If the game sells good, there could be a sequel. But on a side note, we can forget about a new Duke.

Refer to a previous post. More Duke is coming

• Honored Donor

The problem is Randy's been known to lie as well.

At the end of the day Gearbox's actions are all we can go by.

If you think about it Gearbox actually sent Interceptor bankrupt. Letting them work on a small Duke project is the least they could do.

- 3D Realms still holds some rights to Duke & lets Interceptor work on Duke
- Gearbox goes NUH-UH!!! and sues
- Interceptor hastily retools Mass Destruction in to Bombshell after working on it for who knows how long
- Bombshell rushed to release and fails completely critically and commercially due to poor advertising, being overpriced, buggy and feels like no focus testing was done
- Rad Rodgers Kickstarter 'cause Interceptor is broke, Rad Rodgers also fails commerically due to poor advertising (seriously who the fuck is doing their marketing)
- Interceptor files for bankrupcy

Basically put Gearbox taking the Duke licence away from them cost them a lot of time and money to the point where they rushed the game out to try and get some sort of return to avoid going broke...

THQNordic purchasing Rad Rodgers IP and funding further development was a lucky break.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 05 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Related: "Disappointed to see Gearbox working directly with G2A to distribute a Bulletstorm Full Clip collectors edition." - Totalbiscuit on twitter.
He's pulling coverage of gearbox titles now. "No support for crooks".

Update: Gearbox backed out. (of course they blamed anyone but themselves)

This post has been edited by LkMax: 09 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostHiPolyBash, on 05 April 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

Basically put Gearbox taking the Duke licence away from them cost them a lot of time and money to the point where they rushed the game out to try and get some sort of return to avoid going broke...

THQNordic purchasing Rad Rodgers IP and funding further development was a lucky break.

Would the Bombshell redesign really have affected the core gameplay that much?

Is the Rad Rodgers development funded by THQ directly, or are they simply using the money generated from the sale of the IP to work on it?

View PostMicky C, on 05 April 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

Would the Bombshell redesign really have affected the core gameplay that much?

I'd say so, yeah. They would have had to strip out anything that was clearly from the Duke franchise - though they leave a lot that is very close to what you'd see in a Duke game such as the 'GDF soldiers' - and redesign the core systems for Bombshell as a character, all the weapons, Amiga, re-voice the leads, and so much more plus they would have lost brand recognition with Bombshell and gained negative press because of the lawsuit. I don't doubt they reused a lot of content but for a small studio running off of loans a change that big could be disaster.

Is the Rad Rodgers development funded by THQ directly, or are they simply using the money generated from the sale of the IP to work on it?

I have no idea but I would have to guess both since they're on Twitter talking about bringing Rise of the Triad back, working on Duke with Gearbox and Frederik Schreibers posts from a few months ago on the forums about whatever they're doing with the SiN franchise. Big change from bankruptcy to being open to work on multiple projects and working on something related to SiN.

Educated guess would be a lump sum payment and a percentage of sales while funding development. It would be about the norm for the industry.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 05 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

User is offline   HMNuke93 

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So there's a forthcoming patch for the "lipsync issue". Why couldn't they get that ready beforehand?

Here's Bulletstorm Full Clip Editions PC Graphics Settings..there's a field of view slider in a different menu but that's it.

Bulletstorm PC Technical Review: https://www.pcinvasi...echnical-review

Posted Image

Reviews are coming out..all of which point out the following - if you played on PC there's no difference here but surprisingly there's less graphical settings than the original and it's overpriced. Otherwise they're positive. Seems like this was yet another remaster where it was mainly done to benefit current gen consoles with the PC version being virtually indistinguishable.

https://www.destruct...on-429508.phtml
http://www.pcworld.c...fine-price.html

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 06 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

• Honored Donor

Duke's dialogue is a lot better than I expected. Finally after 20 years some proper conversation with Duke. Even got a chuckle out of a few lines.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Duke needs a neck, bigger head or less of a humpback. Any more of a slouch and he'd be Quasimodo with a brush cut.

This post has been edited by Robman: 06 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Now that release day is here, how much is it to play Duke if you didn't pre-order?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Release day is the 7th. It's not the 7th everywhere yet. No price atm.

User is offline   Lunick 

We'll find out in 11-12 hours.

Did anyone took a crack at modifying ini files? Iirc in OG Bulletstorm they were encrypted but an editor apeared shortly after release. It was great for disabling the dev/publisher logos after running the game.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostLkMax, on 05 April 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

Related: "Disappointed to see Gearbox working directly with G2A to distribute a Bulletstorm Full Clip collectors edition." - Totalbiscuit on twitter.
He's pulling coverage of gearbox titles now. "No support for crooks".

No clue what this was about so I saw this on YT, I guess it clears some stuff up.

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 April 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

So there's a forthcoming patch for the "lipsync issue". Why couldn't they get that ready beforehand?

Source?

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options