Duke4.net Forums: [REL] Nuclear Showdown v2.1 - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[REL] Nuclear Showdown v2.1  "new release!"

User is online   zykov eddy 

View Postoporix, on 07 November 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

Not to hijack the thread, but even with some beta testers the level was pretty straight forward even on 'Damn I'm Good', though I should have made it more clear that the "secret box" was destructible.

I didn't even think of destroying the box, I used the grenade to blow up the gates. I thought that's what it was for. I didn't even think to use it on the box because I thought it's the only grenade in the area and I will get stuck if I use it for something else. Pretty sure I'm not the only player who will get confused. The worst thing is that you don't even notice that something went wrong, until you run out of ammo.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 07 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

You are saying that a big box that look out of place in a parking area with "secret" red printed didn't make you suspicious just because you didn't see a crack? :mellow:

User is online   zykov eddy 

View PostFantinaikos, on 07 November 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

You are saying that a big box that look out of place in a parking area with "secret" red printed didn't make you suspicious just because you didn't see a crack? :mellow:

I guess so. Grenade was the first thing I saw, then I saw the gates, then decided to blow them up. Wasn't interested in the box after that.

User is online   Lunick 

I've never played Nuclear Showdown before so I didn't realise this was a thing that could happen

View PostLunick, on 06 November 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

That would be this person:

well. i made the page for it long ago, because i thought it was an awesome mod and not many people i believe knew about it. so i wanted to help spread the word about the mod and allow people to experience it as well. then JBlade recently messaged me on ModDB and told me about the newest version of the mod. so we talked a bit and i told him, i do think it's possible to add a file to the page of the mod. that way you can still update it while being on the page for it. because you can add download files to a mod page, so he could of posted version 2 of the mod to the page i made. but he didn't wanna do that, so instead he made himself a new page for the newest installment of the mod. so now there's a page for the old & the new versions of Nuclear Showdown

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is there any reason to keep the old page around though? It might confuse some people, and it sounds like the old version doesn't work very well.

User is online   Jblade 

Also my name isn't mentioned on the old one at all, which I'm not exactly happy with. I'm sure you can send a message to the moddb support team asking for a deletion or something.

View PostJblade, on 09 November 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

Also my name isn't mentioned on the old one at all, which I'm not exactly happy with. I'm sure you can send a message to the moddb support team asking for a deletion or something.

M210's should be informed too, he still hosting v1.1.

View PostJblade, on 09 November 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

well, i didn't know honestly who made the mod until you messaged me on ModDB. and i didn't know how to add credits to the thing at all. and i did say that you could of posted v2 on the page i made for the old one. ModDB allows people to add download files to a mod page, that way there wouldn't be any confusion. but you didn't wanna do that, which is fine. i can understand that, but still. i'll try to message someone about if it's possible to remove it or something

User is offline   Shawneth 

Here's another Nuclear Showdown specific map I'm working on. I'm going to try and implement some features that didn't work before such as fixing switches and space suit sections.

Posted Image

ok, so i've had a talk with someone from ModDB. and i've managed to ask them to remove the page for the old version of Nuclear Showdown. and it's now gone, so now there's only the 1 page for the newest version of the mod. so if you want, you can now change the page from Nuclear Showdown Redux to just Nuclear Showdown if you want

User is online   Jblade 

thanks, I appreciate it :mellow:

Looking forward to checking it out oporix, especially actually getting to use the spacesuit in a proper segment :)

• Honored Donor

It's a minor issue but when you finish a level it says "press space to continue" regardless of what you set as your use key.

User is offline   Mere_Duke 

Once I've got a little bug when decapitated Lizman have spawned 3 heads :mellow:
But It have never happened again since then.

This post has been edited by Mere_Duke: 13 November 2016 - 04:29 AM

User is offline   Jolteon 

I think I found another glitch, this time involving with the space suit. I've noticed this when playing Lunar BurnOut (Cool map btw), When Outside, if I am anywhere that will have the airlock view, the Space Suit will come on, but I don't have the low gravity affect when jumping and the Space Suit counter won't go down, then when I move out of the airlock view, the Space suit will come off, and I won't be killed at all.

Attached Image: duke0003.png Attached Image: duke0004.png

View PostJolteon, on 13 November 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

I think I found another glitch, this time involving with the space suit. I've noticed this when playing Lunar BurnOut (Cool map btw), When Outside, if I am anywhere that will have the airlock view, the Space Suit will come on, but I don't have the low gravity affect when jumping and the Space Suit counter won't go down, then when I move out of the airlock view, the Space suit will come off, and I won't be killed at all.

Attachment duke0003.png Attachment duke0004.png

The spacesuit is a little funky, I tried to compensate for it with some sector blocking but I guess I missed a few. :mellow:

Here's another NS map I'm working on. I don't want to make vanilla Duke maps anymore as you can see.

Posted Image

User is online   Jblade 

Looking forward to it :mellow:

Any requests or things you guys would like to see in the next version? I am fixing bugs and replacing artwork (old Deagle sprite has been replaced by HMNuke93's awesome version) as well as adding in widescreen sprites where I can, but I'm curious what you guys think should be added next.

Also on the topic; Duke's voices; keep using the old classic versions or switch it for his newer stuff (but converted to 'voc' file to keep the sound quality the same as the other sounds) I know it's pretty controversial, my main thought to doing so would be I can add Duke quotes for doing more things, but I'll listen to your opinions. I'm partial to keeping the old stuff but at the same time I actually didn't mind his DNF lines, I had a lot of fun putting together a Duke pack for XCOM2 using them. (on this note, does anybody have Duke Zero hour's quotes without the echo? He sounds nearly identical to his voice in Duke3D so I can definitely use the lines from that, but if anybody has cleaner samples than this random YT video that would be sweet)

This post has been edited by Jblade: 16 November 2016 - 12:17 AM

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostJblade, on 16 November 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

Any requests or things you guys would like to see in the next version? I am fixing bugs and replacing artwork (old Deagle sprite has been replaced by HMNuke93's awesome version) as well as adding in widescreen sprites where I can, but I'm curious what you guys think should be added next.

Also on the topic; Duke's voices; keep using the old classic versions or switch it for his newer stuff (but converted to 'voc' file to keep the sound quality the same as the other sounds) I know it's pretty controversial, my main thought to doing so would be I can add Duke quotes for doing more things, but I'll listen to your opinions. I'm partial to keeping the old stuff but at the same time I actually didn't mind his DNF lines, I had a lot of fun putting together a Duke pack for XCOM2 using them. (on this note, does anybody have Duke Zero hour's quotes without the echo? He sounds nearly identical to his voice in Duke3D so I can definitely use the lines from that, but if anybody has cleaner samples than this random YT video that would be sweet)

There are various glitches in how alternative weapons are handled, like the plasma rifle being automatically holstered even if it has ammo, it's not very robust.
Also, please, replace the kick sound with the original or something close to it!

View PostJblade, on 16 November 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

I know it's a lot to ask for, but you should add different monsters from different games. Even if the monsters used the same behavior, it'd be amazing to use Doom monsters in future versions. Though it might not
fit the particular style.

As for the voices, please do! Converting to .voc really brings in the classic charm.

View PostJmoc, on 16 November 2016 - 02:55 AM, said:

There are various glitches in how alternative weapons are handled, like the plasma rifle being automatically holstered even if it has ammo, it's not very robust.
Also, please, replace the kick sound with the original or something close to it!

The kick sound is the best part of the mod!

• Honored Donor

View Postoporix, on 16 November 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

I know it's a lot to ask for, but you should add different monsters from different games. Even if the monsters used the same behavior, it'd be amazing to use Doom monsters in future versions. Though it might not
fit the particular style.

As for the voices, please do! Converting to .voc really brings in the classic charm.

The kick sound is the best part of the mod!

You're kind of altering what Nuclear Showdown is about if you start adding in new monsters. In fact, if you want that, why don't you consider making a map for the AMC TC? It's literally based off Nuclear Showdown so it's got the same features and art, but extra effects, art and enemies, and it's also got all the original art from Duke 3D. The only thing different really are the different one-liners, and some different weapons (which you can customize to fit your play style to some degree).

View PostMicky C, on 16 November 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

You're kind of altering what Nuclear Showdown is about if you start adding in new monsters. In fact, if you want that, why don't you consider making a map for the AMC TC? It's literally based off Nuclear Showdown so it's got the same features and art, but extra effects, art and enemies, and it's also got all the original art from Duke 3D. The only thing different really are the different one-liners, and some different weapons (which you can customize to fit your play style to some degree).

I'll look into making a map for AMC if that's the case, because I really want to use some new A.I and enemies. However, I think adding Doom monsters would still be something great :mellow:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, Nuclear Showdown should stay grounded in the Duke Nukem Universe. Thats what makes it the best gameplay mod for Duke3D.

User is online   Jblade 

Yeah that's the plan - AMC TC is worth checking out if you want to map with a whole new array of stuff but NS's main theme is Duke Nukem 3D era stuff. Any new enemies would be varieties of the Cycloids/Pig-cops basically.

View Postoporix, on 16 November 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

I'll look into making a map for AMC if that's the case, because I really want to use some new A.I and enemies. However, I think adding Doom monsters would still be something great :)

I'd definitely be interested to see an AMC TC map from you in the future, the more the merrier :mellow: It does have a variety of Doom style monsters to fight as well.

Thanks to Jimmy I've got a huge selection of new Duke quotes that are similar enough to his Duke3D style voice. Rather than just adding new kill taunts and stuff like that I'm also working in lots of speech for incidental actions like using inventory items, unlocking doors and other things like that. I've still got a bunch more to go through but I'll have something to show soon.

User is offline   Mere_Duke 

View PostMere_Duke, on 13 November 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

Once I've got a little bug when decapitated Lizman have spawned 3 heads :mellow:
But It have never happened again since then.

Now I think I understand the reason of that strange behaviour. It occurs when you decapitate Lizmen not on a flat surfaces. The LIZMANHEAD2 (the "kickable" head) is spawning by LIZMANHEAD1, that is a sprite to be send flying by "guts" command. This sprite (LIZMANHEAD1) spawns LIZMANHEAD2 actor once, during landing. There are "getfloordist" test that may (for some reasons) be true more than once if LIZMANHEAD1 are landing not on a flat surface, that leads to spawning of multiple LIZMANHEAD2's.

I changed this code in EVENT_GAME:
case LIZMANHEAD1
  state getfloordist
  ifvarl z 0
  {
    spawn BLOODPOOL
    spawn LIZMANHEAD2
  }
break

To this code:
gamevar lizmanhead_check 0 2

case LIZMANHEAD1
  state getfloordist
  ifvarl z 0
  {
    ifvare actorvar[THISACTOR].lizmanhead_check 0
    {
      setav[THISACTOR].lizmanhead_check 1
      spawn BLOODPOOL
      spawn LIZMANHEAD2
    }
  }
break

Seems working correctly now, but it's a dirty hack...

This post has been edited by Mere_Duke: 18 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

• Honored Donor

I recall that bug happening a while ago in the AMC TC. I assume it's been fixed there since I haven't encountered it in the last year or so.

User is online   Jblade 

Thanks for pointing it out to me, I'll be able to fix it on my side easily enough :mellow:

User is online   Jblade 

I should hopefully have a new release out soon; here's a changelog of what's done so far. Jimmy's helped me out with a bunch of resources; apart from these I've done a ton of work regarding Duke quotes. There's not just new quotes played when killing things; I've coded in several quotes to play somewhat dynamically depending on what happens in a level. They're played rarely and only once per level so they don't become repetitive. I also coded in a simple system that will cycle through Duke's quotes randomly before resetting; this means that all available quotes will eventually play and it prevents the same quote from playing again too soon.

Here's some videos of my playing Merlijn and Loke's newest maps:
https://www.youtube....v=ZjFGwDLd7oU
https://www.youtube....v=IRCANqPC0NE

vids are already a bit outdated, was trying to record a new one today but kept running into issues (namely bugs occuring onscreen or freakish accidents where context sensitive quotes played 6 times in a row :mellow:)

V2.1
  • replaced Desert Eagle sprite with new ones by HMNuke93
  • fixed Pistol reload animation
  • added widescreen sprites for Pistol (by Jimmy)
  • added widescreen sprites for RPG
  • added widescreen sprites for Shrinker and Expander
  • added widescreen sprites for Freezer
  • added alternate sprites for captured babes by sebabdukeboss20
  • fixed plasma projectile not being fullbright
  • added tons of new Duke quotes
  • added additive rendering for certain sprites
  • weapon drops when saving babes no longer drop repeats until you've gotten everything#
  • implemented balance tweaks to pig cop tank and suicide drone*

*Pig Cop tank will now always spawn a pig cop if destroyed with the self destruct, and never if destroyed with weapons. It will also have a chance of spawning a shotgun if destroyed; this was done because with the addition of proper mouselook, hitting the buttons on the back of Tanks has been trivial for sometime. Taking that out wouldn't be an option as many modern maps are designed with using that in mind; this way there's now a tangible benefit to taking it out with weapons as it guarantees the Pigcop will die and also gives a chance of spawning a shotgun with full ammo. As it stood before there was almost never a reason to waste ammo on the tank.

Suicide drones have less health but do x2 more damage; again with the advent of mouselook the drones became less of an interesting threat and more of a choir to fight. This way they die in a single shotgun blast but are more of a risk if they are allowed to get close. Also remember in NS they can be fooled with the Holoduke now; whilst it'll drain a bit of battery they'll blow up once they hit it given the HD a lot more utility.

#This change was done to mitigate save+loading to avoid repeated drops when saving a babe; whilst the odds are the same, the game will cycle through all drops so assuming there's enough babes you're guaranteed to get all of
the new weapons. It's still random however, but you'll get one of each item eventually before it resets and cycles through them randomly again.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 21 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostJblade, on 21 November 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

Also remember in NS they can be fooled with the Holoduke now; whilst it'll drain a bit of battery they'll blow up once they hit it given the HD a lot more utility.

Would be nice to have the Zaxtorlogram in AMC work the same :mellow:

Awesome changes, I can't wait to try this. Sentries have always been my least favourite enemy, and this is exactly the kind of update they need!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options