Duke4.net Forums: World Tour modding topic (sound packs, etc) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Tour modding topic (sound packs, etc)

It was suggested we make a World Tour modding topic, so here it is baby!

Seems several people are working on doing full replacement packs for the World Tour audio, which is very cool. For personal use I've done a mini pack, only 11 sound files replaced. Just pistol sounds, shotgun sounds, RPG, pipebomb, explosion, vent, switch, weapon switch, etc. All from Playstation, except pistol fire and RPG are from N64. Wav files renamed to .ogg not re-encoded, these do work in World Tour though, just extract into your sound folder. (which you may want to back up first)

http://www.mediafire...some_N64%29.zip

By the way, for the record I happened to notice the Freeze fire sound is different in eDuke and World Tour. In eDuke if you hold down fire you only hear the light pleasant part, then hear the VWOOOM when you let go of fire. In World Tour it plays the whole thing including the loud VWOOOM repeatedly while you fire. I didn't include any freeze sound in this pack for the record, but when I tried replacing it it still played that way.

The wav files I'm using are ones that were posted in the World Tour topic a few pages back, that are named SOUND011.WAV etc, so would need to use the sound list to identity them all and would take quite a while to replace all the audio. But the sounds I wanted to replace most I did last night anyway.

But anyway, here be the general World Tour modding topic!

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 16 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

User is offline   Jolteon 

I am trying to fix the bosses in World Tour, since the code for them is kinda messed up a bit. Like for example, the minibosses being as strong as a normal boss despite they are small. So far Battlelord, Overlord, and the Cycloid Emperor are already done. The Alien Queen might be tricky though. Also by looking at the code for the new Cycloid, it looks as though it can be placed as a miniboss as well. So I will also do him too, and make him fire the Incinerator's fireballs instead of the lame flamethrower from a distance.

User is offline   Lunick 

Is there a need to fix The Queen when she doesn't appear at all in the episode?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostShadow Jolteon, on 16 October 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

Like for example, the minibosses being as strong as a normal boss despite they are small. So far Battlelord, Overlord, and the Cycloid Emperor are already done.

You can elaborate on what you mean by this?
When playing World Tour, the only issue with mini-bosses I noticed is that their own rockets hit their backs (something already an issue in the orignial game, but that should have been fixed as soon as mini bosses become supported).

NWO however uses minibosses AND actual bosses, sometimes next to each other too (like at the end Red Ruckus), only difference with the original game that I noticed regaring the (non-mini) those bosses is that they don't trigger the game's endings.

However when playing NWO in EDuke32, everyboss (minus BOSS5) is small sized, even those have that should be full sized. But I could bet Hendricks has already fixed it, it's an easy oversight considering he says he hadn't played NWO (using WT) yet.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 October 2016 - 11:04 PM

View PostLunick, on 16 October 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

Is there a need to fix The Queen when she doesn't appear at all in the episode?

Usermaps? (Then again you do make a good point on that :D )

View PostMetHy, on 16 October 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:

You can elaborate on what you mean by this?
When playing World Tour, the only issue with mini-bosses I noticed is that their own rockets hit their backs (something already an issue in the orignial game, but that should have been fixed as soon as mini bosses become supported).

If set to palette 21, they are fine, but if placed at any other palette (Besides 0 and 22) they will still appear small but be as strong as the big bosses, This doesn't happen in the new episode, but it can happen in usermaps, making them unplayable. Also I am aware about them hitting themselves with their own rockets, so I fixed that too. ;)

Update: I recorded all the sounds I could straight in eDuke32 itself and stored all of them as .ogg.
World Tour now sounds fairly close to the original version, however there are still some pitch and tempo issues for some of the sounds that I will have to adjust manually.

There's also some sound issues that cannot be fixed without changing the code, such as the Freezer not playing its firing sound correctly, or the fact that ROAM22.OGG creates total and utter earrape on "The Abyss"
Expect a release of this on Wednesday or Thursday

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 17 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I've been considering modifying our sound system to process all the sounds and generate FLAC files that have the exact processing to sound like they should when played back in WT. I haven't considered it high enough priority.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 17 October 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

Update: I recorded all the sounds I could straight in eDuke32 itself and stored all of them as .ogg.

Why can't they just be converted directly? and if re-recording is really needed, why in EDuke32?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 17 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMetHy, on 17 October 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Why can't they just be converted directly?

This should be tested to be sure, but I believe they removed the Apogee Sound System and its specific way of crappily resampling audio, so it would still sound wrong.

Going through EDuke32 gives a 100% chance of success.

View PostHendricks266, on 17 October 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

This should be tested to be sure, but I believe they removed the Apogee Sound System and its specific way of crappily resampling audio, so it would still sound wrong.

I used the pistol sounds as a benchmark for sound quality (since it's immediately available as soon as you start the episode, and because the version in World Tour is especially awful for some reason.)
The sound quality doesn't improve much if you simply extract the file from the GRP and put it into the WT folder, hence I was pretty much forced to record the sounds ingame in order to get them at a better quality.

Some of them are however distorted in pitch and tempo since I used the SFX&MUSIC presets to record them, so I'll have to change that manually to match the .voc files.
(I just used eduke because of ease of usage with mapster32 of course)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 17 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

• Weaponized Autism

Then you'll also experience changes due to distance and position. Are you placing sounds in a map, or are you using globalsound screensound in a custom CON?

View PostHendricks266, on 17 October 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Then you'll also experience changes due to distance and position. Are you placing sounds in a map, or are you using globalsound screensound in a custom CON?

Well I did it using by placing a sound as close as possible to the player in a closed space, and then hitting a button. (music turned off of course)
I already considered that that might not have been the smartest choice, but with my limited knowledge of Duke modding, that's the best I could come up with.

What changes are we talking about exactly? If it's just the volume due to player/emitter distance that's affected, then I can still adjust that in post.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDoom64hunter, on 17 October 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

What changes are we talking about exactly?

Both overall volume and relative volume of the two channels (3D sound). I don't believe ASS uses any delays to simulate 3D.

If it's just the volume due to player/emitter distance that's affected, then I can still adjust that in post.

Any manual adjustment is a lapse in faithfulness, though I am a perfectionist.

It sounds like you have a pretty good setup considering that you're new to this.

The one piece of information I don't know for my idea is what sampling rate World Tour uses. I assume it is either 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz, but I don't know for sure, and I don't know how to find out.

User is offline   MetHy 

Well I did it using by placing a sound as close as possible to the player in a closed space, and then hitting a button. (music turned off of course)
I already considered that that might not have been the smartest choice, but with my limited knowledge of Duke modding, that's the best I could come up with.

What changes are we talking about exactly? If it's just the volume due to player/emitter distance that's affected, then I can still adjust that in post.

Why place the sound file anywhere at all when you can play the sound files through mapster's menu?

But honestly if I have a hard time to believe there isn't a way to convert the sound files in a more direct way. VLC can read the voc files extracted from the original GRP and convert to .ogg; it seems to do a poor job at it though and cut the end of the sounds and I can't be arsed to figure out why at this hour. My point is, if VLC can do it, I'm ready to believe a better program out there can do it flawlessly in an acceptable way.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 17 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMetHy, on 17 October 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

But honestly if I have a hard time to believe there isn't a way to convert the sound files in a more direct way.

Did you miss my post?

View PostHendricks266, on 17 October 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

MetHy is right that you can play the sounds directly in mapster32 and I'm an uninformed idiot. Mapster32's sound test (which I didn't know existed) actually gives us the same quality as all sounds would in eduke32 itself.

I could've saved myself a lot of time with that, heh. Ah well, everything's a learning experience.
(the pitch differences are still there though)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 17 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDoom64hunter, on 17 October 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

(the pitch differences are still there though)

http://hendricks266....d_soundtest.con

User is offline   Wolf 

Since SST TC never used Duke's voice (other than pain sounds) I found another use for the "legacy duke voice" option in World Tour.

Toggle-able remastered audio!

I've found quite a few of the original audio pieces used for some of the SST TC sounds, as well as using the list of music sources.

Additionally, I've also found a few of the ones they used for Duke3D to begin with, and since SST TC still uses some of those, they'll be included, too.

I'll be mixing the ones I can't find on my own. The first two, which are in very early stages, are heard here with the rifle and shotgun. I won't rest until they sound as close to the TC as possible.

This post has been edited by Wolf: 18 October 2016 - 05:27 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostWolf, on 18 October 2016 - 05:27 AM, said:

I've found quite a few of the original audio pieces used for some of the SST TC sounds, as well as using the list of music sources.

Please document this in the thread.

View PostWolf, on 18 October 2016 - 05:27 AM, said:

Additionally, I've also found a few of the ones they used for Duke3D to begin with, and since SST TC still uses some of those, they'll be included, too.

https://www.doomworl...-sound-effects/

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have updated the Meltdown sound pack on the HRP website. Version 1.1 adds support for World Tour, basically by putting LeoD's q10 OGG files into a "sound" subdir. It should work now if you put the zipfile into your EDuke32 autoload dir and load it when playing World Tour. To use it in WT directly, I guess you would have to decompress the OGGs into the "sound" subdir of your WT installation folder (backups of the old files are strongly recommended).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 October 2016 - 11:07 PM

I have a question about the Alien Queen for my boss fix pack for World Tour. I had noticed that the Alien Queen has red blood instead of green when shooting at her which can be seen Here. I've looked in the Game.con and saw this.

The code for the Alien Queen in World Tour
actor BOSS4 BOSS4STRENGTH

fall
  cactor BOSS4
  state boss4code
  spritepal 6
  getlastpal

enda

And here's the code for the Alien Queen in the Atomic Edition

fall
  cactor BOSS4
  spritepal 6
  state boss4code
  getlastpal

enda

Should I leave it as it is just for the mini Alien Queens, or should I fix it? The latter means that there can't be any mini Alien Queens that aren't useable. (Although I think LR & WB had a work around for this while the Alien Queen still having green blood)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostShadow Jolteon, on 19 October 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

The code for the Alien Queen in World Tour

fall
  cactor BOSS4
  state boss4code
  spritepal 6
  getlastpal

enda

Wow, it's like they didn't understand the whole purpose of changing the pal to 6 and back again. The whole point is that during actor code execution, the sprite is pal 6 so that the blood and jibs that it spawns from the boss4code will be green. If you just have it changing to pal 6 and back outside of the boss4code, it does nothing. This is like when you are coding for the first time, you don't know what all the lines do so you just change the order figuring it won't matter.

• The Truth is in here

Which is probably what we are looking at here...

I had made the new Cycloid boss fire those fireballs instead of the flamethrower when far away for my boss fix pack, and... Well, I tried.

Attached Image: Cycloid2.png

It seems that those fireballs he shoots don't even have range either. At least those lava pools might give out an challenge (Either that or just use it to you're advantage and lure him into it ;) ).

As for the Alien Queen, I think I'll fix it for the pack, which means there won't be any mini Alien Queens at all.

This post has been edited by Shadow Jolteon: 19 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

• The Truth is in here

There are no mini queens in Alien World Order, right? So it wouldn't be that bad. Incredible they screwed up a feature of the original game by just switching two lines. Nice find!

• Weaponized Autism

View PostShadow Jolteon, on 19 October 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

Should I leave it as it is just for the mini Alien Queens, or should I fix it? The latter means that there can't be any mini Alien Queens that aren't useable.

I noticed this change looking through the diff of their GAME.CON and I originally brushed it off as simple incompetence, but now that you mention it I remember encountering the same issue trying to make miniboss Queens. I solved it with a gamevar back when I was a noob, but the simpler solution is to spritepal 6 and getlastpal immediately surrounding any calls to guts, debris, state standard_jibs, etc. instead of during the entire actor code.

• The Truth is in here

So what would be the elegant way to restore green bleeding to the queen instead of switching the lines back to the way they were in Atomic? (I'm also curious to know since I am a con noob.)

Alright, it's finally done: (OLD SEE NEXT PAGE)

http.s://www.mediafire.com/?w1hrbxbxuko1wv0

This contains all sounds in their full glory, recorded to match the originals as closely as possible. The pitch should be correct for all of them, and I even remembered to include the small delays in the "JibbedActor" sounds.
Tell me if the volume is okay or if you found any problems with the sounds. If you find any, please point out which sound exactly is causing the problem and I'll try to fix it.

Known issues are: (unfixable on my end)
  • The Atomic Health sound has a different pitch
  • The Freezer firing sound does not cut off correctly
  • "The Abyss" ROAM22.ogg earrape deal (christ my ears)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 22 October 2016 - 02:33 AM

User is offline   HMNuke93 

I've tested my Incinerator edit in-game and it looks pretty good:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download: http://www.mediafire...g7/TILES020.ART Just replace TILES020.art ;)

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 20 October 2016 - 02:38 AM

User is offline   ---- 

I wasn't really following this thread in detail ... well, I followed it but didn't really download every mod.

Will there be a pack somewhere down the line, in which all downloads are put together (EDuke32 fixes, better sounds, boss fixes, new Incinerator, etc ...), so that we can download that pack and replace the stuff we want from one file instead of looking through several pages here?

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 20 October 2016 - 03:56 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options