Duke4.net Forums: DUKE SPOOKEM: HALLOWEEN EPISODE. - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DUKE SPOOKEM: HALLOWEEN EPISODE.  "Who's in?"

Just making a map in 3 weeks is soul crushing, trust me I know.

If this was a Christmas episode you would be much better off time-wise, and even then it would be tight.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Yeah, I think that we should also do a NW redux. With actual weapon art and new maps. also fixing/changing the original maps to be at least decent

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 03 October 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

Btw there needs to be women dressed up in slutty halloween costumes everywhere Posted Image

I don't know about "everywhere" but I think that having sprites for those would be a very good addition. I feel like fan-made Duke mods are lacking in sexual content compared with the original games. It's mainly because it's so much easier to steal/edit sprites of monsters and guns than to create good-looking women.

So, if anyone can help with the chicks in slutty Haloween costumes at appropriate pixel sizes in Duke palette, that would be a big boost for this project imo. I'm assuming it would be too difficult to have fully animated sprites with walking cycles and so on, so we would settle for having them just stand there and have a simple animation (like moving an arm).

User is offline   Mark 

Not chicks but I have a low poly static skeleton model with duke palette skin. Each of the 9 poses is a separate model ( thats how I found them ) . Just choose the one or ones you like. It might make for nice decorations here and there in the maps. I have had these on my drive for at least 5-6 years. I forgot where they came from. You might have to convert the original tga skin yourself. I just happen to think that the transparency may be goofed up in the bmp version.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  skel.zip (250.65K)
    Number of downloads: 190

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 October 2016 - 05:13 PM

User is offline   quakis 

Any chance for an invite to the current group chat/discussion area? I'm interested in doing art-related tasks (texture/sprites) but I'd like to get a general feel for the project and see what I can do from there.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thank you Mark. I was just looking for one of these!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postquakis, on 12 October 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

Any chance for an invite to the current group chat/discussion area? I'm interested in doing art-related tasks (texture/sprites) but I'd like to get a general feel for the project and see what I can do from there.

Is there any chance that you would be interested in mapping for this as well? That's the area where the project needs the most help.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 13 October 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

Is there any chance that you would be interested in mapping for this as well? That's the area where the project needs the most help.

I asked Mike if I could map but he has yet to get back to me.. I have a map that probably just needs 2 weeks of attention and it would be complete. its an abandoned prison map, you guys could review it first to see if it would meet the criteria. if not I wouldn't take offense.

User is offline   quakis 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 13 October 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

I might be able to help in that area too if needed, but I'd still need a better understanding of the project's direction and the current discussion with what's currently in progress, etc, before committing to mapping.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View Poststumppy84, on 13 October 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

I asked Mike if I could map but he has yet to get back to me.. I have a map that probably just needs 2 weeks of attention and it would be complete. its an abandoned prison map, you guys could review it first to see if it would meet the criteria. if not I wouldn't take offense.

We have already created a storyline which can not have a prison map. Unfortunately, you've come too late.

View PostFrog, on 14 October 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

We have already created a storyline which can not have a prison map. Unfortunately, you've come too late.

"Good luck!"

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View Poststumppy84, on 14 October 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

"Good luck!"

"Thanks!"

Hello everyone, I'm not game designer or artist, but I guess I can contribute some ideas help you guys out.Alright here we go:

Enemies:
Zombie Pigcop from Total Meltdown
Ghost Enforcer from Total Meltdown
Pumpkinlord=Overlord in a Pumpkinhead costume
Werewolf Drone=Protector Drone in a werewolf costume
Vampire Trooper=Assault Trooper Captain in a vampire costume
Fat Commander as the green fat ghost from Ghostbusters

Easter Eggs:
Duke comes across Fred Kruger's corpse and says "Welcome to my world Freddy".
In a neighborhood scenario, a house door on one of the houses should have a big red steal door like those used in Left 4 Dead.

Level(s):
A farmhouse and cornfield level. Duke gets lost trick or treating and ends up coming up to a farm. It has a house and cornfield out back like in the Signs movie. The cornfield has a crop circle made in it in the shape of the Nuke logo. Also in the cornfield would be an opening where Duke fights the main boss, example Cycloid Emperor. The farmhouse would have exploration. There could be a house party going on and Duke takes out the uninvited aliens crashing the festivity. The house would have an upstairs, living room, kitchen, dining rooms and a basement. Also there would be a barn on the property to explore as well. Also two Easter Eggs would be in reference to Children of the Corn and Jeepers Creepers,

Well that's all I got, good luck and best wishes to the team creating this episode.

• Polymancer

We have taken inspiration from Chuck Jones and we are using models to make sprites for the mod. I am making a few high-poly models for posing and rendering for sprites. These are not game models as sections of them have been imported directly from ZBrush.

The first one is the Lich Witch. She is a nasty one who likes to hold a grudge.
Posted Image

This little guy is particularly pesky.
Posted Image

And finally, we have someone with a bit more stature, but he isn't any more friendly.
Posted Image

Just note that some of the colours may change when the renders are converted to Duke pallete.

User is offline   Mark 

Give up your day job. You should be getting paid for this. ;)

User is offline   LkMax 

All hail Cthulhu Emperor.

User is offline   HMNuke93 

View PostTea Monster, on 30 October 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

We have taken inspiration from Chuck Jones and we are using models to make sprites for the mod. I am making a few high-poly models for posing and rendering for sprites. These are not game models as sections of them have been imported directly from ZBrush.

The first one is the Lich Witch. She is a nasty one who likes to hold a grudge.
Posted Image

This little guy is particularly pesky.
Posted Image

And finally, we have someone with a bit more stature, but he isn't any more friendly.
Posted Image

Just note that some of the colours may change when the renders are converted to Duke pallete.

Wonderful work!!!!!! ;)

User is offline   LkMax 

Just one observation, are them supposed to be cartoony? Or are them just w.i.p.? Because some parts seem to lack detail on the textures (the cthulhu-esque boss seems to be made of blue gelly).

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLkMax, on 31 October 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

Just one observation, are them supposed to be cartoony? Or are them just w.i.p.? Because some parts seem to lack detail on the textures (the cthulhu-esque boss seems to be made of blue gelly).

The models were made with the intent of making sprite enemies from them. The models have special lighting for the sprite renders, and then the sprites have some extra work done on them. They have been turning out great -- don't judge the final product by the models.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm only guessing, but I think when it gets rendered down into the lower resolution sprite with duke's 8 bit palette the textures will not be as smooth as in his pic and might actually look better.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 31 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I can assure you that the sprites are one of the best works I have ever seen on a mod, they look very professional and kick ass.

• Polymancer

Thank you Mike! ;)

The models are intentionally made with low surface details as they are for making sprites, not high-res, next-gen models. If you have a lot of detail on them, they will look muddy when they are shot down to 256 or 128 pixels and are converted to the Duke palette.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 November 2016 - 03:26 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

Didn't think about that, interesting method. Like they did back in the days but with software instead of toy photos.
I'm curious to see te end result. ;)

User is offline   xMobilemux 

How's progress on this mod?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Halloween 2017? :mellow:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It got delayed by a key member leaving the project, and then by various other real life things that came up in November. In other words, the typical kind of stuff that happens. Progress continues and the final result should be excellent, though. I don't want to put a release date on it, but I would imagine that Halloween 2017 would be the latest desirable time. And if you think about it, that's actually not bad -- just over a year to make a mod with tons of new art and all new maps, by people doing it as a hobby in their spare time.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Just so everybody know I'm not a key member (that means I'm not leaving) :)

BTW Now that he left, I'm pretty sure there is a chance for another mapper to join, if someone is still interested please let us know. :mellow:

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 27 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

if the release date is a while away than I can take a crack at another map unless we get another fresh volunteer :mellow:

Just don't let it turn out like the ZDoom Community Halloween project (may it rest in eternal limbo)

• Polymancer

View PostLkMax, on 01 November 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

Didn't think about that, interesting method. Like they did back in the days but with software instead of toy photos.
I'm curious to see te end result. :mellow:

That IS how they did it for DN3D. Chuck Jones built 3D models to make all the monster and Duke sprites from.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options