Duke4.net Forums: Original GAME.CON fixes - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Original GAME.CON fixes

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postleninjableu, on 14 October 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

Thank you for this beautiful work. I myself modified many things in this same file, compared to my project.

*bumps 2 year old thread to thank someone who hasn't been active in the forum for a year*

congratulations! you won the internet today!

This post has been edited by Forge: 14 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

LoL! I had not seen this detail.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Sure. The thread was only at the bottom of the 7th page or so. Who would even dare to assume it's not recent?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 October 2018 - 09:59 PM

Indeed, it is well marked in the upper left. But with my rush and my enthusiasm, I really zapped this detail.

So I rectified: Markus had done a good job.

Just found out about this. Amazing!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 05 March 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Just found out about this. Amazing!

It's true, history does repeat itself!

What?

Anyway, ever since I came to these forums, I started enjoying Duke Nukem 3D a lot more than I used to. I just wanted to show my appreciation to the author. :)

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

But it's not worth necro-posting for that.

I have only one thing to say. We are all here on this forum to have fun. Duke 3D, it's really badass

View PostNightFright, on 06 March 2019 - 02:32 AM, said:

But it's not worth necro-posting for that.

... Sorry. :)

User is offline   Darkus 

Working of my fixes again. I improved most the code, (reduced the usage of temporary variables for example), fixed some things I forgot, tried to fix some things without success, and restored one major feature (see below). I'll upload the new version in some days, I cross my fingers for not breaking something in the process.

I managed to restore a 1.3D feature that allow to place JIBS# sprites in maps without having them fall and disappear. Very old maps used them.

Posted Image

Other than that, not much to say, fixed a rare Liztroop case that he could stay crouched and fire indefinitely, and something I forgot. Probably include a full changelog also.

This could be super effectively. This could surely help me fix my own jib problem, related to Santa Claus Boss.

User is offline   Darkus 

Done. Most of the code is updated, (reduced usage of temporary variables) but it should be identical as the previous versions. Got also another problem: sharks are immune to shrinker. I don't know why. Happened in previous versions also.

Otherwise, not much new:
- Restored a 1.3D feature that allow to place JIBS# sprites in maps. Very old maps used them as artwork.
- LIZTROOP: Fixed a rare case when a trooper can stay crouched and shoot indefinitely (the crouching trooper at E1L4 in the secret cave)

I also wrote a (almost) full changelog since beginning:
Spoiler

Note: since I can't edit first post, The old version is also included.

Great guy!

I managed to reduce the shark with the shrinker. If it helps, I can post the code.

I read all the fixes that you made and it seems to me that you had already done all that.
If it can be useful, I can post the file that I modified and improved myself. Maybe I made some small mistakes.

I also add codes that suppress blood and guts, when Duke uses shrinker and freezethrower.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDarkus, on 07 April 2019 - 05:16 AM, said:

Done. Most of the code is updated, (reduced usage of temporary variables) but it should be identical as the previous versions. Got also another problem: sharks are immune to shrinker. I don't know why. Happened in previous versions also.

I've encountered this problem in my own work, it's a harcdoded SHARK thing. Normally getting hit by SHRINKSPARK sets an actor's htextra to 0, but for sharks it doesn't. However, it still sets htpicnum, so what you can do is start the shrinking based on ifwasweapon and then reset htpicnum.

It would also be great to be able to steer the shark up and down, while targeting the player.

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostFirefly_Trooper, on 07 April 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

It would also be great to be able to steer the shark up and down, while targeting the player.

It's possible, but my goal is to stay as close as possible to the original version.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 April 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

I've encountered this problem in my own work, it's a harcdoded SHARK thing. Normally getting hit by SHRINKSPARK sets an actor's htextra to 0, but for sharks it doesn't. However, it still sets htpicnum, so what you can do is start the shrinking based on ifwasweapon and then reset htpicnum.

Thanks, I managed to solve the problem, I put this above 'ifhitweapon':

ifwasweapon SHRINKSPARK
{
  setactor[THISACTOR].htpicnum 0
  ifaction ASHARKSHRUNK break
  action ASHARKSHRUNK
  sound ACTOR_SHRINKING
  move SHARKVELS fleeenemy
  break
}

Redownload for newest version:

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Just to make sure I understand things correctly about the original GAME.CON:
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3967: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5890: warning: found `else' with no `if'.

I take it that the code snippets belonging to an "else with no if" are never executed at all, right?
Do both the original DUKE3D.EXE and EDuke32 handle this in the same way?

User is offline   Darkus 

In ORGANTIC, there's two 'else':

ifcount 48
    resetcount
  else
  {
    'do things'
  }
  else
    ifcount 16
    {
      'do things'
    }

And in 'pigshootenemystate', 'ifcansee' is commented out, but the 'else' part was left:

state pigshootenemystate
//  ifcansee
  {
    'do things'
  }
  else
    ai AIPIGSEEKENEMY
ends

If you un-comment 'ifcansee', it solve the problem, but the pig cop stop shooting at you when you're out of sight, which change it's from his original behavior. So yes, "else with no if", nothing is executed.

I don't think there's a difference between EDuke32 and DUKE3D.EXE, it's just that DUKE3D.EXE don't report the error.

Hi Darkus!

I managed to completely remove the hard coded blood (jibs6) , when a frozen enemy is destroyed.
I do not know if you wanted to do that in your work.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostLeoD, on 08 April 2019 - 03:38 AM, said:

Do both the original DUKE3D.EXE and EDuke32 handle this in the same way?

Obviously.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Findings while making this work for older EDuke32 executables:
- The 2016-10-31 version needs EDuke32 r5088 or later (new "userdef" in gamevars.c).
- The 2019-04-07 version needs EDuke32 r5825 or later (first explosion causes crash).
The command in line 9632 is the culprit:
getactor[sprite[THISACTOR].owner].htg_t 8 TEMPFIX1

Apparently, r5825 does more than just "readability cleanup".

View PostFox, on 13 April 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

Obviously.
Nothing is obvious when it comes to EDuke32, last but not least due to insufficient documentation.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah I gotta back up LeoD here, that's a shitty reply to an earnest question.

View PostFirefly_Trooper, on 13 April 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Hi Darkus!

I managed to completely remove the hard coded blood (jibs6) , when a frozen enemy is destroyed.
I do not know if you wanted to do that in your work.

I answer to myself, which does not make sense lol.

I managed the code, but halfway. It only works for all added enemies and not the enemies of the original game. I will have to repeat tests.

I have a question that comes to my mind, compared to Eduke32 versions. How is it that the latest version of the beginning of April, does not support large images for Mapster32?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Hi Darkus,

there's an issue with newly released Blink of an Eye when using your GAME.CON. I'd appreciate if you'd look into that.

Both your 2016 and 2019 versions are affected, the EDuke32 version doesn't seem to matter.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 02 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

User is offline   underTaker 

View PostLeoD, on 02 July 2019 - 07:39 AM, said:

Hi Darkus,

there's an issue with newly released Blink of an Eye when using your GAME.CON. I'd appreciate if you'd look into that.

Both your 2016 and 2019 versions are affected, the EDuke32 version doesn't seem to matter.

Thank you for mentioning it here, LeoD.

For what I've read on this topic, Ninety-Six wrote that the map instantly ends with e1 cutscene - I've got suspiction that it could be caused by the way I'm spawing the final boss - I needed to perform spawning when Reactor (sprite #1088) is destroyed, but couldn't link it to the Respawn sprite, so I simply took one of the spawn-on-kill sprites (FEM5 - #1323), put it close to reactor and linked it to Respawn sprite to spawn the boss. This could be linked, because the cutscenes are only appearing when the final boss is killed. Hope it can help a little.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I don't understand why you would need code to spawn a boss at all, if the only goal is to fix bugs.

EDIT: nevermind I was getting confused about the map vs the code and who was making what

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 02 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options