Duke4.net Forums: 3D classic skyboxes pack - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D classic skyboxes pack

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Download

3D classic skyboxes pack. Includes D.C. and Caribbean skyboxes.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/czfgjw

Preview

Posted Image

Posted Image

Resources

Top/bottom textures
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Fox: 01 October 2016 - 06:02 AM

User is offline   TON 

Did you say in other post that you will release also the 3d model of the first skybox or were you referring to 2d images?

User is offline   Fox 

I don't think my messy 3ds Max files would be very useful. I hope one day Eduke32 will support .md3 skyboxes, so they can have perfect quality.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

hello sir, please can u tell me how can I have a baby from u?

User is offline   CruX 

I love this so much I down-voted it.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCruX, on 01 October 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

I love this so much I down-voted it.

Sounds like an overflow error!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Look out for a v2 of this pack once I implement a def token so that hightile (including skyboxes and model skins) can be run through the palette like an ART tile, for instant perfect shading and palswaps.

how does 1 get this to work on Duke 3D for the stuff to show up? i was trying it out, and it didn't change anything from what the pics showed

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 01 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Just rename skyboxes.def to duke3d.def.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Damn that's good.

Is it just me or is the Earth too big in the space skybox?

User is offline   Fox 

Yes. The method I used move the parts towards the camera, thus they get zoomed.

Original (cylinder mapped) vs 3D objects:
Spoiler

Also note that a portion of the Earth is hidden:
Posted Image

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Amazing work, Fox! A really nice surprise! This may also make skies look a lot better in Polymost.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

User is offline   Darkus 

In polymost, I have some hiccups when I look all around, like the the skybox is not fully loaded at map start, unlike polymer. It's more important in E3L11, when it load each skybox animation frame. Anyone already experienced this?

User is offline   Fox 

You meant E2L11? Yes, I have a similar issue...

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 02 October 2016 - 05:16 AM, said:

Amazing work, Fox! A really nice surprise! This may also make skies look a lot better in Polymost.

That's what I'm guessing most people will use it for. It's really nice to look up at the sky in polymost and see...sky.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNightFright, on 02 October 2016 - 05:16 AM, said:

This may also make skies look a lot better in Polymost.

That's their purpose. ;)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I guess it's nice for another piece of HTTKC to see the light of day.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I had an issue in Duke Caribbean in the secret level. It was at the end of the level where the boat is in the water. The water wasn't even appearing. It was just showing the skybox like the floor was set to parallax. The skybox was working correctly, though. Anyway, good to see another feature from HTTKC that blows World Tour out of the water! ;)

• Honored Donor

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 02 October 2016 - 07:43 PM, said:

I had an issue in Duke Caribbean in the secret level. It was at the end of the level where the boat is in the water. The water wasn't even appearing. It was just showing the skybox like the floor was set to parallax. The skybox was working correctly, though. Anyway, good to see another feature from HTTKC that blows World Tour out of the water! ;)

I don't see how that's related to the skybox itself since it doesn't change the map or anything. Where you running it with polymer, and if so did you try that same area without the skybox?

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Yeah, it was just Polymer. My mistake. That's actually the first time I've encountered that issue.

User is offline   Fox 

Further explaining the issue with the Earth size. I basically create a flat plane in the cylinder map in order to preserve the circular shape (you can see that issue with the images I posted before). However the center of the planet is closer to the camera, meaning the pixels in there are zoomed. If I try to use a spherical object in order to compensate for this distortion, the shape is too visible on the pixels near the corners:

Posted Image

An alternative is to use a new image with the shape corrected:

Posted Image Posted Image

But then it stops using the original art.

This post has been edited by Fox: 05 October 2016 - 12:10 PM

• Honored Donor

But it's still based off the original art right?

I mean you need to take some kind of artistic liberty with the skybox anyway in order to fill in the top and bottom (especially for LA). I don't think anyone would go against a transformed image of the earth.

• The Truth is in here

To be honest, the difference would be much less noticable ingame if you had used the non-original art instead of resizing the planet. I'd vote for releasing the skybox variation with proper sizes.

*EDIT Oct 21, 2016*
A similar project was released for Doom 1+2 a couple of days ago, intended for GZDoom.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 October 2016 - 07:21 AM

User is offline   axl 

I just found this amazing side-project ! This is great !

I found a little problem however in the third level of Duke DC, Nuked Files. See attached screenshot.

PS: shouldn't we give this a more prominent place on the website / forum? Along with the wide-screen weapon fix from Hendricks266 this is essential material !

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg

• The Truth is in here

I could imagine hosting both files on the HRP website, if there is a common recognizable demand for it.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNightFright, on 05 January 2018 - 02:51 AM, said:

I could imagine hosting both files on the HRP website, if there is a common recognizable demand for it.

No. The only way such a thing would be user friendly with EDuke32 as-is would be to agglomerate several changes into one package, and at that rate you're approaching a bootleg HTTKC release.

I am also opposed to the HRP site functioning as the bastion of all EDuke32 improvement mods. It has long outgrown its bounds.

User is offline   axl 

View PostHendricks266, on 05 January 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

No. The only way such a thing would be user friendly with EDuke32 as-is would be to agglomerate several changes into one package, and at that rate you're approaching a bootleg HTTKC release.

So, there's still a chance we might get a HTTKC release? :D

• Weaponized Autism

View Postaxl, on 05 January 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

So, there's still a chance we might get a HTTKC release? :D

Nothing has changed there. You can't blame me for being protective of our work, especially when the proposal is for it to be bundled together by someone with a history of making irrelevant editorial changes to others' work.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Bootleg HTTKC release? Now I'm imagining a package of LameDuke, the Brazilian Megadrive Duke 3D, the Game.Com game...

• The Truth is in here

View PostHendricks266, on 05 January 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

You can't blame me for being protective of our work, especially when the proposal is for it to be bundled together by someone with a history of making irrelevant editorial changes to others' work.

You can be blamed for one thing: Making an irrelevant comment like that. It's not the first time this is happening. I have really tried to remain calm and sensible about it when you guys put me down time and again, but there's a limit to everything. If you think that what I am doing is shit, fine. But please don't rub it in in front of everyone. That's not OK, especially coming from a moderator and who is part of the EDuke32 team. You guys should know better. Shame on you, just shame on you, god damned!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options