Duke4.net Forums: Dusk - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dusk  "New 90s inspired shooter"

User is offline   Jblade 

it looks awful, I don't know why you're so vehemantly defending this thing to the point of man-splaining to everybody why they're wrong to not like it. The only interesting thing about this is the full 360 rotation when airborne.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 16 September 2016 - 04:01 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 16 September 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

Did you read the interview tidbit Mr. Tibbs posted?

Yes I did. I haven't seen anything of the game that would imply it has good level design, not that there's been a lot of level design shown. Keep in mind that good level design is pretty much the number 1 broken promise for anything even remotely claiming to be a retro FPS.

Just because they're hand-crafted levels doesn't mean that they'll be good. Despite all the 'procedural generation' craze in recent times, let's not forget that 99.999% of levels in commercial games ever released are also hand crafted, and 99% of those are nothing to write home about.

View PostMicky C, on 16 September 2016 - 04:09 AM, said:

Yes I did. I haven't seen anything of the game that would imply it has good level design, not that there's been a lot of level design shown. Keep in mind that good level design is pretty much the number 1 broken promise for anything even remotely claiming to be a retro FPS.

Just because they're hand-crafted levels doesn't mean that they'll be good. Despite all the 'procedural generation' craze in recent times, let's not forget that 99.999% of levels in commercial games ever released are also hand crafted, and 99% of those are nothing to write home about.

True, but how is one supposed to showcase good level design in a 1 minute trailer?

I think that everyone who were all hyped by the DNF trailer back in 2001 was only because the trailer had cool shit happening in it (and the fact that it's DNF), not because of the tiny snippets of level design shown.

User is offline   Jblade 

True, but how is one supposed to showcase good level design in a 1 minute trailer?

Pretty easily actually, you just show the level and if it's well designed than hey presto it will come across that way. Well designed level is a combination of visuals and gameplay, and when it's done well you only have to show off an area to put that impression across.

The trailer for this on the other hand, the first 10 seconds showed hallways that were literally just plain rectangles. The rest was comprised of areas that literally looked like myfirstlevel.map - if it was some kind of meta joke on the nature of amateur level design than that would be fine but it doesn't come across that way at all.

I don't want to disparage the author, he may genuinely believe this is what oldschool FPS are supposed to be like but if so he's displaying a fundermental lack of understanding of games and older FPS in general. The cynic in me just wants to say it is just lazy level design.

In Short

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostJblade, on 16 September 2016 - 06:12 AM, said:

if it was some kind of meta joke on the nature of amateur level design than that would be fine but it doesn't come across that way at all.

When I joined a mapping community some time ago, I wanted to introduce myself by simply posting a new thread with a map I had made; there would be just two screenshots of the beginning room.
The level would play out by the beginning room having no lighting (so it would just be fullbright), unaligned textures, an NPC stuck halfway into the ground, and weapons you couldn't actually pickup, and a staircase leading to an unaligned door with the steps being too big so you had to jump each one.
At this point probably 99% of the people would just quit and either ignore the thread or bitch at me, however the 1% would continue on and I would've made a nice very serious section with all the bells and whistles the engine could handle.
It would've been a complete joke but a fun way to introduce myself once people realize what I did. Unfortunately I lost a couple hours of progress on it while I was making it and that was enough to deflate my plan :/

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 16 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

View PostJblade, on 16 September 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

it looks awful, I don't know why you're so vehemantly defending this thing to the point of man-splaining to everybody why they're wrong to not like it. The only interesting thing about this is the full 360 rotation when airborne.

I said several times it could end up being bad. I think this post of yours is a bit unusual for a usually cool cat such as yourself. And I didn't reply to everybody who said it looks bad, I was just discussing some points. And my posts generally included a question, such as "why is it an insult" etc, asking for people to explain, sure a bit challenging-ish/debate-ish, but it's discussion. I don't see what your problem is, to be honest. I didn't throw in an ad hominem such as you did, pretty uncool.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 16 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

My post was in no way hostile and if you drew that conclusion from it I'm not sure what to tell you but grow a much, much thicker skin. My attitude is incredibly tame compared to other people here. Don't drag this off-topic with psuedo psychoanalysis of myself. let's talk about this game instead (which I think looks awful)

You did say patronizing belittling insults, by saying I was "man-splaining". And its silly because if you happened to agree the game looks good, you wouldn't have been unfriendly like that. As for talking about the game, that's my point. You should've talked about the game instead of throwing criticism as me at a person/poster. You're at fault.

If you care more about talking about a game you're not even looking forward to than being civil to somebody you've talked to in some capacity for a while, that's unusual. Not about thick skin, I just find the game fandom part of the internet odd sometimes. People post insult stuff for no reason, and think nothing of it.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 16 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

All I said was man-splaining jesus christ. Stop blowing my disagreement out of proportion.

Why is your interpretation of events more valid than mine?

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Got linked this game's debut vid in steam some days ago and since I've had now my fair share of time digesting this news, I still think aesthetically it does look kinda cool. Aesthetic give me a RR feel but level design wise it looked like Painkiller. Aka not that old school.

Gameplay wise it atleast does look better than this :D http://store.steampo...?snr=1_5_9__205

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 16 September 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

And also levels containing secrets, etc..)

Painkiller also contained secrets but that didn't mean the level design wasn't linear when compared to 90's FPS'.

• Honored Donor

Lots of games have secrets. They're nothing special as far as standing out from the crowd goes.

It's still a cool thingy, and I get the feeling they mean secrets in a Doom and Duke 3D level sense of the word, which really isn't all that common these days, as far as I know. It's cool either way.

And on the earlier kerfuffle, internet kerfuffles are silly, JBlade if you want I'll buy you a Mr. Pibb, any time that's Mr. Pibb on me

User is offline   leilei 

Maybe the "secrets" will also be lame referential stuff to give the little retro dorks some boners

* You found the secret Titenic Surviver!!!! "im the king of the fucking word" - your hero

* You find Captain Keane and his best buddy Dank Cod!!! "i'm in fucking demand" - your hero

* You find the green Energy Scout's piccolo! Blow on it to summon the UberZaur! "uber zaur fuckin uberize" - your hero

* You find Laura Kraft's Huge bra!!! Now you can skip a level by turning 720 degrees and flipping forward! "ok lets go fucking adventering" - your hero

* You find secret cassette tape with the MAcariner on it! And you dance the MAcariner with the monster's!!! Only 90 kids remember this!!! "lalalalala fucking do the ma carina" - your hero

* You find the body que of a dead Quack Guy!!! "He really fucking slipped on that gate for sure!!" - your hero

* You find the hidden bellydancing stripper!!! "sheik it baby" - your hero

This post has been edited by leilei: 16 September 2016 - 10:30 PM

View Postleilei, on 16 September 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

* You find Laura Kraft's Huge bra!!! Now you can skip a level by turning 720 degrees and flipping forward! "ok lets go fucking adventering" - your hero

Is she a heiress to the Kraft cheese fortune? And she goes on adventures? I'd play a game about this character

User is offline   spessu_sb 

I'm bumping this thread because we have just received new critical information regarding this game.

http://steamcommunit...42683185930644/

jefequeso [developer] said:

Authentic psuedo-nonlinear level design is one of my highest priorities, so that's the plan!

Most of the environments seen in the trailer are rather simple compared with what's ultimately going to be in the game, and I think some people are reacting to that.

El Oshcuro [developer] said:

FULL CAMPAIGN

3 EPISODES

EVERY LEVEL WILL MAKE YOU ITS ♥♥♥♥♥

(Don't quote me on that last part)

So it sounds like this just might be the real deal. Definitely gained back some hype for this myself now.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 21 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Let's see some footage of that first...

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

Was able to play the survival mode portion of this at pax west a couple of weeks ago,
it was quite fun, gameplay played very similarly to Devil Daggers.
Which is good, because devil daggers + campaign sounds even more awesome.
The atmosphere felt pulled from blood.
The game is fairly difficult, enemies definitely are still somewhat reminiscent of quake 1.
All in all a good demo to sell me the game.
I personally can't get enough of quake 1.
So it's my kind of shindig.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 21 September 2016 - 10:28 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

El Oshcuro is a dev on Dusk? Wasn't him from Interceptor?

User is offline   Lord_Kane 

View PostLkMax, on 22 September 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

El Oshcuro is a dev on Dusk? Wasn't him from Interceptor?

He is freelance from what I know. cool dude though.

User is offline   leilei 

ah. All this time I thought el oshcuro was fredrik's cocaine-induced alter ego sockpuppet

This post has been edited by leilei: 22 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

User is online   Lunick 

I played Dusk while I was at PAXAus, I don't have a whole lot to say but I only played a wave based gamemode and the movement and shooting pretty much feels like Quake although the jumping feels occasionally odd but I couldn't work out why though. One of the people in the booth wanted me to twirl the guns with the R button just to show that there was no reloading. Also it seemed like the New Bloods booth was not very popular as I often saw Dave playing his own game to get people to come look (something I didn't see any other developer do at PAXAus).

I have to admit I was super skeptical back when I saw the trailer, but honestly after being able to play it, my opinion changed quite quickly. It's actually really fun.

The developer is also super cool, he's very interested in making the game moddable, and while some of us were discussing prototype builds of the game in the Discord server, he gave us links to four early builds (two of which had never been seen before).

User is offline   LkMax 

The gameplay actually looks pretty fun (with me being a big Quake fan, there's no way not to like this kind of gameplay and player movement), but I still dislike the choice of early-3D graphics used for the aesthetic. :\
It doesn't look as good as well made pixel art for example.

User is offline   axl 

Episode 1 has already been reviewed by Gggmanlives. Looks promising:

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

https://youtu.be/B0V82PhiDDw?t=37s

https://youtu.be/cixW6rogZ48?t=4m49s

• Honored Donor

90 minutes to finish? A bit short...

I wonder how Ion Maiden will compare.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 14 August 2017 - 04:28 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostDaedolon, on 14 August 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

Hulshult remade Doom's music? AGAIN? :thumbsup:

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options