• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dusk  "New 90s inspired shooter"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 20 December 2018 - 01:08 AM, said:

- One user indicated the strategy is actually to kill all enemies except one, then collect the purple health flasks dropped by dead mobs, then kill the remaining one to trigger the next wave.

Yep, that's what I did too after noticing how the waves work.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Maybe I need to try that level again with this seemingly helpful/valuable knowledge. Yet I still assume it won't be a walk in the park since the core mechanic stays the same: Dodge like crazy and kill as fast as possible before the odds become overwhelming and too many projectiles fly towards you. Especially those mechanical maidens with their rockets are doing you in quite quickly if you aren't paying enough attention to them.

Btw, I hope you have all seen this "trailer" (headphone users: volume alert)... xD

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 December 2018 - 04:26 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostNightFright, on 20 December 2018 - 01:08 AM, said:

- It's also possible to just skip the level (which isn't a really good option IMHO).

Really? I think it's fucking great.

Whatsmore, there are a lot of things in Dusk with alternative strategies. All of the bosses.

You can pretty much pacify the entire game.

• The Truth is in here

You can? Well, I managed to get the second-last boss killed without doing it by myself, but
Spoiler

User is offline   Master O 

View PostZaxx, on 17 December 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Okay, DUSK is officially part of the classic FPS family now:
Posted Image

Do Dusk's secret levels have killable Commander Keens?

• The Truth is in here

Not to my knowledge, and I have seen the secret levels of all three episodes.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I REALLY need to get back to this game.

I played episode 1 when it came out and haven't touched it since, and now the damn thing is fully released.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

If anyone's interested in the music and the "lore" of DUSK I think picking up the Intruder Edition is really worth it: the soundtrack is massive in length with 2 hours and 39 minutes and the graphic novel is nice.

View PostZaxx, on 02 January 2019 - 04:32 PM, said:

If anyone's interested in the music and the "lore" of DUSK I think picking up the Intruder Edition is really worth it: the soundtrack is massive in length with 2 hours and 39 minutes and the graphic novel is nice.

"Won't you notice me, Dusk Senpai?" :)

User is offline   malvado 

I'm trying to like this game but I really don't like the way it looks. I know that's apparently the "point" of it but I don't appreciate ugliness for the sake of ugliness and retro FPS were never about that. Devs always tried to make their games look as pretty as they could and their resulting art styles often had a timeless charm to them (or at least the good ones did). I don't even think this game looks like Quake the way many people seem to think it does. I thought that Dusk's art style would maybe grow on me but it hasn't happened yet.

The other problem I have with it is the level design. I've only played through E1 but it leaves a lot to be desired, does it get better? So far it doesn't match up to the level design of the classics by any stretch which is a real shame.

On the plus side, I do really like the gameplay a lot. If the level design was good, too, I'd like this game a whole lot more even despite its appearance.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Each episode has a different approach to level design. Episode 2 really opens up into much more wider areas. I haven't played episode 3 yet but people say that some of those levels take it to the next level in terms of interesting concepts.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 February 2019 - 12:38 PM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View Postmalvado, on 26 February 2019 - 08:35 AM, said:

I'm trying to like this game but I really don't like the way it looks. I know that's apparently the "point" of it but I don't appreciate ugliness for the sake of ugliness and retro FPS were never about that. Devs always tried to make their games look as pretty as they could and their resulting art styles often had a timeless charm to them (or at least the good ones did). I don't even think this game looks like Quake the way many people seem to think it does. I thought that Dusk's art style would maybe grow on me but it hasn't happened yet.

The other problem I have with it is the level design. I've only played through E1 but it leaves a lot to be desired, does it get better? So far it doesn't match up to the level design of the classics by any stretch which is a real shame.

On the plus side, I do really like the gameplay a lot. If the level design was good, too, I'd like this game a whole lot more even despite its appearance.

I kinda agree after finishing the game, but I'd say Episode 3 was pretty good. As a game, though, not very memorable. I was always looking more forward to Amid Evil's full release.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Old the old games had proper weapon models. They were primitive, but they didn't look like arse.

User is offline   ---- 

I didn't like the gunplay. Levels on Episode 1 were OKish, but I stopped playing halfway through, so I cannot comment on the other episodes.

I could have managed to look past the visuals OR the gunplay, but not both.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 26 February 2019 - 03:44 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostTea Monster, on 26 February 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

Old the old games had proper weapon models. They were primitive, but they didn't look like arse.

except Quake's shotguns

GOG Forum Announcement Thread - Coming Soon to GOG: Dusk

GOG Page for Dusk

This post has been edited by Master O: 29 March 2019 - 02:52 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

About time.

User is offline   Šneček 

I immediately fell in love with this game. The atmosphere is a bit spooky and I really like that. It has 3 episodes and each episode contains one secret level, which is another advantage of this game. Graphically it reminds me Quake, the crossbow reminds me of a Heretic game, the enemies reminds me of a Blood game, and parkour reminds me of a Mirror´s Edge. When I kill a cultist, he makes a cute sound that reminds me of a sheep´s sound. It didn't happen at any level that I didn't know where to go. I don't have to shoot at enemies, just throw an object at them. The game has brisk gameplay. Finding access cards for locked doors is not difficult.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

My only issue with it is that it has the opposite problem of games that used the shareware model: the first episode is boring as fuck and easy. It peaks with the third episode.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

So far I've only played the first episode (frirend's computer) and I fell in love with it (minus the mines level). I also found it a fairly decent challenge, though I did do my first playthrough on Sierro Madre or whatever it's called. The one below Duskmare, that warns you it wasn't intended for a first-time playthrough but I did it anyway. I had a great time, myself.

Besides the combat which I found fast and frantic, the other biggest thing that made me really love the experience was the movement. In fact the movement felt so amazing that it kinda screwed with me when I got to sample Amid Evil right after. I could not stop straferunhopping, no matter how useless and often detrimental it was.

The atmosphere is also top-notch. During the slower moments I thought the atmosphere was enough to make up for it, much like Duke 3D and Half-Life. Especially the level whose name I forget, the one with the first appearance of the Fork-Maidens. An incredibly unsettling soundtrack that added and took away inhuman noises depending on where you were, combined with the harsh red and black lighting created a truly nightmarish environment overall. It reminded me a lot of the Playstation port of Doom with its darker lighting and its horrific soundtrack, in the best way.

That being said this isn't the first time I've heard that episode 2 and 3 are way better. And maybe they are; I won't find out for a while unfortunately.

• The Sarien Encounter

I actually prefer the first episode to the second. I haven't played the third yet.

The music all through the game overall is fantastic, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 August 2020 - 06:17 PM

User is offline   Fauch 

I've beaten it recently, pretty good, and not many new retro FPS seem to come close so far (though Ion Fury looks like it may be better, based on the very beginning, but maybe that's because I have much more experience with Duke than with Quake). I think the main area where the game falls short are boss fights which are pretty basic, kinda like common enemies but bigger with more health.
I think episode 2 may be the slightly better episode, mostly because it seemed more varied and creative.

• The Truth is in here

I thought that the fight just before the final boss sucked hard, with wave after wave of enemies which eventually overwhelm you since you can't kill them fast enough before even harder ones appear. And on top of that, you eventually run out of ammo. I have no idea how to legitimately beat this. There is apparently a way to skip the fight entirely and it almost seems it's the only way to survive this, but I am not happy with a solution that basically means retreat.

Besides that, Dusk was a quite good experience. However, I doubt I will play it more than once.

User is offline   Fauch 

I was only playing in I can take it, but it was not as hard as it first looked, except the end. And I'm not really used to that kind of fight, I usually rather use cover than bunny hop around. You don't die if you fall, very useful.

User is offline   jkas789 

>Watches video
>"Huh?"
Attached Image: Screenshot_20231001_165710.png
>hm
>Looks familiar
>looks up Highpoint
Attached Image: la2dcfxldj9a1.jpg
mfw when Dusk Guy uses Highpoint pistols.
Attached Image: 1652307062731.gif

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Finally they discovered the art department!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options