• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HTTKC and World Tour comparison

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Included in World Tour

Posted Image Posted Image

Included in HTTKC (if the contract was effective)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Menu

Skybox

Weapon selection

Widescreen sprites

User is offline   deuxsonic 

HTTKC wasn't whipped up as a quick money grab. The people on this forum are capable of far more when it comes to Duke3d.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Having beta tested older builds of HTTKC, it ran butter smooth on my older and newer android devices and passed the test of being able to jump from the box to the RPG without any issues. No other touch port has been able to pass that.

Would have easily passed as an official port. Actually even better than that since there are few years worth of under the hood optimizations on top of the additional features.

What a shame... :/

View Postdeuxsonic, on 15 September 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

HTTKC wasn't whipped up as a quick money grab. The people on this forum are capable of far more when it comes to Duke3d.

If I may ask: What does HTTKC mean? I must be missing something. If I missed it then I am sorry, while writing this I was half asleep. Also I do not know about Duke Nukem World Tour. If it is a blatant cash-grab or not. I am indifferent about the 'new' Duke Nukem. When In truth there are modders out there whom make this game just beautiful and for less of the hassle. Like the High Resolution pack for instance. Seeing these images are nothing more then just refurnishing an old game. The Hud and the Skybox looks good though.

User is offline   Fox 

Hail to the King Collection. Cancelled port for Android.

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostFox, on 15 September 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

Hail to the King Collection. Cancelled port for Android.

Thanks Fox. What do you think. I already have the Megaton Edition. You think it is worth the 20 bucks for the World Tour edition?

User is offline   LkMax 

This thread depresses me.

User is offline   t800 

Hey, where is Urea 51? :D
Spoiler

But seriously, it is sad to see all that effort go to waste.
I was part of Android port betatesting too, and it was rather well made and optimized thing. I remember one of the last posts was by TerminX mentioning he optimized engine for ARM cpus and gained much more framerate by that. Too bad we didnt get chance to try it for ourselves. :D
And I see you inovated GUI once again from lastly tested build, nice work. :D

EDIT: Wait, why is World Tour listed as part of HTTKC? Hinting something, Fox? :D

This post has been edited by t800: 15 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Should add the red cross comparison.

WT's skyboxes and weapon wheel look awful. This being said I'm not too found of HTTK's hud here, but it's mostly just the colour.

Also to be truely objective, WT has online mulitplayer. Also it's on PC, and with Steam's workshop, that means more people to play our maps.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Nah...Gearbox should reconsider about their interests on HTTKC...though can we still get the "port" itself if TX want to release it?

User is offline   LkMax 

I'm fond of the HTTK HUD (specially the dope weapon wheel) and the skybox. I don't mind the Gearbox's menu though, it fits well.

User is offline   Loke 

Looks like a lot of love and care went into the HTTK collection.

WT's skyboxes and weapon wheel look awful.

Yes, that weapon selection HUD looks abysmal. 5 minute job? Come on.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

The weapon selection GUI for WT is the ugliest fucking thing ever. Why wouldn't they just do it the way Duke Nukem 64 did using the weapon sprites? They did it literally the ugliest way you possibly could. Also, why would they avoid using the widescreen weapon sprites and create inferior ones? Gearbox is dumb as a fucking brick.

I seriously hope Gearbox reconsiders their stance on HTTKC, because that is a lot of high-quality work and effort gone to waste

The Hail to the King sky box is superior in every way.

Also I've never played total meltdown so that would clinch the deal if it was on PC.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I know its probably not a popular opinion, but I think I'd love it if Gearbox contracted TX to make improvements to their engine and add in the missing content/other stuff like Total Meltdown and all that jazz after the game's initial release.
I don't have an android device (and in fact, I got rid of my smart phone half a year ago because I couldn't stand it) so even if HTTKC was to be released, I couldn't take advantage of it anyway.
Also also, I've seen a number of people questioning why Duke3D is being rereleased yet again, I don't think it would look favorable if yet another port was released for Android; however obviously I still want TX's work to see the light of day and for him to get paid.
I think the weapon wheel and HUD look pretty spiffy, too

View PostHulkNukem, on 15 September 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

I don't have an android device (and in fact, I got rid of my smart phone half a year ago because I couldn't stand it) so even if HTTKC was to be released, I couldn't take advantage of it anyway.

If I remember correctly, the improvements from HTTKC were going to go straight into the regular version of EDuke32 afterwards, and you could buy the game through the Play Store on your PC and install it via an Android emulator like BlueStacks to get the files and play it on PC.
I could be wrong, but I remember reading something at least similar in a thread here

User is offline   neoacix 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 15 September 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

If I remember correctly, the improvements from HTTKC were going to go straight into the regular version of EDuke32 afterwards, and you could buy the game through the Play Store on your PC and install it via an Android emulator like BlueStacks to get the files and play it on PC.
I could be wrong, but I remember reading something at least similar in a thread here

Which would be an awful way to play Duke3D on PC.
But if anything good goes into regular Eduke32 is allyways a good thing.

View Postneoacix, on 15 September 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Which would be an awful way to play Duke3D on PC.
But if anything good goes into regular Eduke32 is allyways a good thing.

I didn't say playing the Android port via the emulator, I meant playing it via the normal PC version of EDuke32, you'd only use the emulator to get the game data

User is offline   Fox 

View PostWanderer042, on 15 September 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

Thanks Fox. What do you think. I already have the Megaton Edition. You think it is worth the 20 bucks for the World Tour edition?

I don't think Gearbox invested enough to justify raising the price like that, so no. But that's just my personal opinion.

View Postdeuxsonic, on 15 September 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

The weapon selection GUI for WT is the ugliest fucking thing ever. Why wouldn't they just do it the way Duke Nukem 64 did using the weapon sprites? They did it literally the ugliest way you possibly could. Also, why would they avoid using the widescreen weapon sprites and create inferior ones? Gearbox is dumb as a fucking brick.

They just recycled the inventory code. Apparently they didn't hired anyone with experience with the source code, and they went with the easiest possible route.

View Postt800, on 15 September 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

EDIT: Wait, why is World Tour listed as part of HTTKC? Hinting something, Fox? :D

Not at all. TX's contract said he would have rights to all derivative content released in the future.

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postt800, on 15 September 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

I was part of Android port betatesting too, and it was rather well made and optimized thing. I remember one of the last posts was by TerminX mentioning he optimized engine for ARM cpus and gained much more framerate by that. Too bad we didnt get chance to try it for ourselves. :D

Most of our work right up to the very end was making things work acceptably on smartphone CPUs and GPUs.

I don't know much behind the scenes stuff, I know about the thread for the Playstation TC on here by you Fox. Were you going to get paid for HTTKC?

As for if World Tour is worth buying, my guess is yes, since the new episode by Blum, Levelord, and Jackson looks very promising.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 15 September 2016 - 04:37 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 15 September 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

Yeah, if there's any good to come out of this, it's that eduke32 as a whole underwent some nice refinement. I'm pretty sure that the massive optimization to polymost a year or so ago was motivated by HTTK?

And wow those new weapon-switching graphics really are fugly. You know, with the new episode, working multiplayer and renderer (not so much the new voices and stuff), I was beginning to think it was almost worth the $20 ($15 would have been the sweet spot IMO). But then they have to show some extreme laziness like this that brings the overall quality right down.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 15 September 2016 - 05:01 PM

View PostMicky C, on 15 September 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

Yeah, if there's any good to come out of this, it's that eduke32 as a whole underwent some nice refinement. I'm pretty sure that the massive optimization to polymost a year or so ago was motivated by HTTK?

And wow those new weapon-switching graphics really are fugly. You know, with the new episode, working multiplayer and renderer (not so much the new voices and stuff), I was beginning to think it was almost worth the $20 ($15 would have been the sweet spot IMO). But then they have to show some extreme laziness like this that brings the overall quality right down.

Us playing on PC/mouse and keyboard won't even see that though, right? Not that the criticism isn't fair. For the record I actually don't think it's too shabby, just to be honest.

I do think they should've added keycards to the minimal HUD in World Tour though, I had noticed they don't in the gameplay vids.

User is offline   Dinsdale 

I wonder if the classic DNSTUFF and DNKROZ cheats (along with the others) still work!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't understand why Gearbox wouldn't just include the 3 expansions. It's not that much work. It's all done. Just include them for goodness' sake. Then it's more complete! I'd totally pay $20 for that.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

The expansions aren't included so Randy has another reason to bitch at people over Twitter in a completely pointless fashion and draw more attention to himself. There is no logical reason, he's just a dirty little attention slut.

User is offline   t800 

Paid DLCs? :D

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 September 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

It's all done.

Well they still had to add their shitty lights and make sure multiplayer works fine, and the add-ons require map changes for that to happen.

Also I'd love dev commentary by Wieder and Robert Travis but that would be even less likely to happen.

I believe the main issue is that they didn't want to pay royalties for them really. Not include something they don't own.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 September 2016 - 07:56 AM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostMetHy, on 16 September 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

I believe the main issue is that they didn't want to pay royalties for them really. Not include something they don't own.

Gearbox doesn't own the expansions for Duke Nukem 3D? But they own the entire Duke IP now, so how is that possible?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options