Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D Vive(OpenVR) support coming soon - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D Vive(OpenVR) support coming soon

I was sitting at home this weekend and I wanted to play Duke Nukem 3D on my Vive. I tried the Oculus port that someone made, but with revive it didn't work. So I decided to do it myself. The depth and eye distortion work, as well as Vive's room scale. The sprites look awesome in the headset, but games back then lacked proper scale, so the monsters are way smaller then they should be.

I used vanilla code straight from SVN. The Vive support currently uses Polymer but one could use Polymost as well. I know a lot of people are going to ask about PolymerNG but I can't say anything about that at the moment.

Anyway here is a screenshot of it working.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke3d_vive.png

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View Posticecoldduke, on 04 September 2016 - 05:22 PM, said:

I know a lot of people are going to ask about PolymerNG but I can't say anything about that at the moment

I'm concerned as to what this means exactly. The paranoid part of me thinks maybe Gearbox has unrightfully tried to bring this down.

View PostHiPolyBash, on 04 September 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

I'm concerned as to what this means exactly. The paranoid part of me thinks maybe Gearbox has unrightfully tried to bring this down.

Gearbox didn't do anything. I got a new job and I don't have free time. :D.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 04 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The paranoid part of me thought you'd lost interest. Of course I'd much rather you have a good job and only occasionally work on it, than be jobless and finish up polymerNG in a short time frame.

Is there a reason why the sprites aren't face-on to the camera?

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Good to hear you found a new job. This Vive support looks extremely well done, I just hope that you can get back to PolymerNG at some stage in future as it seems to really be reviving a bit of interest in the community and inspiring people to work on new projects.

View PostMicky C, on 04 September 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

The paranoid part of me thought you'd lost interest. Of course I'd much rather you have a good job and only occasionally work on it, than be jobless and finish up polymerNG in a short time frame.

Nah. There is a lot build has to offer me, in terms of keeping me interested.

View PostMicky C, on 04 September 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

Is there a reason why the sprites aren't face-on to the camera?

Cause of bad engineering :D, I'll have that fixed before release.

I know a lot of you don't have VR headsets(and for that matter some of you go what's the point?), but when I put on the Vive and saw Duke Nukem levels in room scale VR, I felt like I did when I was a kid first playing the game. That hasn't happened to me before. I did try that Oculus version on my DK2 awhile back and it didn't offer the same experience I'm getting now with, head tracking, room scale and the Vive screen quality.

Once I get the motion controllers working, I personally don't know if I will get out of the headset :D.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 05 September 2016 - 08:57 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I remember how great FPS games were when I had LCD shutter glasses hooked up. I really need to get off my ass and buy a new monitor so I can enjoy 3D again. It was awesome.

View PostMark., on 05 September 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:

I remember how great FPS games were when I had LCD shutter glasses hooked up. I really need to get off my ass and buy a new monitor so I can enjoy 3D again. It was awesome.

3d screens are great, but there is a huge delta between a standard 3d screen, and the Vive(http://store.steampo...com/app/358040/). To get the most out of what I'm working on, you guys need to have the Vive.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 05 September 2016 - 09:31 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I don't have the system requirements and its way too expensive for the limited gimmick factor. But it sure looks to be a blast.

User is offline   necroslut 

Cool. I tried the Oculus Duke 3D port before, and was pretty much blown away.

User is offline   tarasis 

I actually signed up to say that I'm very excited that you are working on a Vive version.

I'd love to play DK3D on my Vive!

User is offline   congo1986 

icecoldduke, I am more excited than I should be, haha. I wish there was something I could do to help. Its been a few months since you originally posted this, do you have an idea if the concept will come to fruition? I can only imagine how difficult it is to modify an old game like this for VR locomotion, which was originally not even intended to have mouse aiming. Either way, I wish you well, but know that anything you post I will really appreciate. Ive been waiting for a mod like this since this April when I first got the Vive.

View Postcongo1986, on 07 December 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

I can only imagine how difficult it is to modify an old game like this for VR locomotion, which was originally not even intended to have mouse aiming.

It only took me a couple days to get OpenVR hooked up to Polymer. If I get time during my Christmas vacation I'll spend sometime finalizing it.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 07 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

View Posticecoldduke, on 07 December 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

It only took me a couple days to get OpenVR hooked up to Polymer. If I get time during my Christmas vacation I'll spend sometime finalizing it.

I just came back here to share my enthusiasm again. I posted this on the Vive reddit... here is a LINK. I hope you have a great Christmas, and maybe even enough time to finish a VR port too!

User is offline   slikk66 

View Posticecoldduke, on 07 December 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

Hey there, just a note to say I'm willing to help out if you can link me to the git repo with the open vr integration already started. The one in your sig doesn't seem to have it integrated yet. I'd really like to help try and get this off the ground!

User is offline   keiron 

I am very excited to try this on my Vive setup

So I did not have time to work on it over the break, due to some work contracts I have I can't actually release any vr related code I do until after those contracts are complete :lol:. That being said I am working on some tech that I want to sell at some point, but I do plan on porting that tech over to Polymer. It's in another engine right now.

Aside from that I did have to code a custom model format for my project. I plan on bringing that over at some point as well. I have a FBX to my format working for static, skeletal and camera spline.

So I do plan on doing some big things in Polymer just wanted to give you guys a status update on the vr code. That being said it really wasn't that difficult to integrate steamvr. It really is a weekend thing to get it working

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 02 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

View Posticecoldduke, on 02 January 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

"That being said it really wasn't that difficult to integrate steamvr. It really is a weekend thing to get it working"

I knew it! I wish I had the programming skills/knowledge. Im suprised more people havent jumped on Duke to port over, especially since everyone on the Vive reddit page keeps calling for more ports like this. Anyways, take care of business man! Hope one day we can see your work. Thanks for the update =)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postcongo1986, on 05 January 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

Im suprised more people havent jumped on Duke to port over,

The people who know the codebase well enough either don't have the time (due to professional careers) or the disposable income (due to life circumstances) to "invest" in VR gear.

It really is a weekend thing to get it working

You always say that, but then

Posted Image

User is offline   optimumbox 

Godspeed. Thank you for all your time and commitment.

User is offline   JoeyFilms 

So I did not have time to work on it over the break, due to some work contracts I have I can't actually release any vr related code I do until after those contracts are complete :P. That being said I am working on some tech that I want to sell at some point, but I do plan on porting that tech over to Polymer. It's in another engine right now.

Aside from that I did have to code a custom model format for my project. I plan on bringing that over at some point as well. I have a FBX to my format working for static, skeletal and camera spline.

So I do plan on doing some big things in Polymer just wanted to give you guys a status update on the vr code. That being said it really wasn't that difficult to integrate steamvr. It really is a weekend thing to get it working

I just wanted to check to see if this is still an active project or if work has gotten in the way? I completely understand if it has. I'm also a massive Duke fan and once tried to play in in "vr" as a kid by strapping my single screen Game Gear to my face and streaming over the feed from my Saturn to it's TV adapter. So I'm pretty hyped to play Duke in room scale and make the child version of me with a sore neck and crossed eyes have his dreams come true.

This post has been edited by JoeyFilms: 15 February 2017 - 01:53 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options