• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Minigunner 

View PostLee Jackson, on 01 July 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

Don't worry about it. Everyone's entitled to their own views. You should have seen some of the early beta reviews of my ROTT songs. :P

I'm way late on this, but yeah, wasn't really cooking up something reasonable to say regarding my criticisms of the MIDI renditions. Honestly, it was all a matter of expectation. I was thinking they'd be done in a similar matter to CD Audio, making the best of the devices used to achieve the originally-intended listening experience. A straight hardware conversion isn't bad though. I will say though, in the future I'd recommend taking advantage of prior SC models' instrument maps included with your device via CC#32. Instruments like the pianos and basses have unique tones on the 55, the 88, and the 88pro, so that introduces an even greater variety that what's already available by instrument/bank selection alone.

User is offline   Toxic34 

I know there's either a patch or some kind of tweaking option in the Steam version that restored the quality of the original sounds. Is there anything that can be done for the PS4 or Xbox One versions, which is what I have?

That DisneyXD show Polaris: Player Select had Luzu playing 20th Anniversary World Tour last night. Granted, it was a level out of Episode 2 (and a part of said level where there were no trapped babes), but it was still surreal to see Duke Nukem 3D on TV, and on a Disney channel, at that!

User is offline   NNC 

I don't understand how some people are buying World Tour only to play the original 4 episodes. Well, if you finish episode 5, you might look into the point lights, but that's it. There are many youtube videos that show WT with original episodes only. People are so weirdo.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNancsi, on 29 July 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

I don't understand how some people are buying World Tour only to play the original 4 episodes. Well, if you finish episode 5, you might look into the point lights, but that's it. There are many youtube videos that show WT with original episodes only. People are so weirdo.

Guess people who played the game ages ago are more interested in the nostalgia trip so that may be a reason but the original maps received a bit of polish too so it's worth it to play through them just to see the changes.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostToxic34, on 28 July 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

I know there's either a patch or some kind of tweaking option in the Steam version that restored the quality of the original sounds. Is there anything that can be done for the PS4 or Xbox One versions, which is what I have?

Beg to Gearbox for a patch

I don't want to sound like a bad guy here but they are not going to update whatever version you have Xbox or Ps4 they had the chance to do that along time ago

User is offline   Master O 

What happened to World Tour support in eduke32, out of curiosity? Weren't there still some issues with one of the weapons and the firefly enemy not completely supported yet?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHendricks266, on 14 October 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

I am not interested in spending the time implementing the Incinerator or the new projectile(s). I welcome contributions if they meet my standards. I also welcome any and all feedback.

I asked Fox to take a look, since he has experience re-implementing the Duke 64 weapons:

View PostFox, on 19 October 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

View Posticecoldduke, on 19 October 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

So what is the issue with getting the "The Incinerator" weapon implemented?

Reverse engineering it. This is me trying to understand what they did:

Posted Image

Maybe I'll be interested again if a World Tour source release comes to fruition.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 30 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

User is offline   Master O 

View PostHendricks266, on 30 July 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

I asked Fox to take a look, since he has experience re-implementing the Duke 64 weapons.

Did anything ever come of that?

• Weaponized Autism

I missed the nested quote in my reply, take another look.

I know that in my questions I wanted to be asked to Randy, I mentioned wanting a full remaster of Duke Nukem 3D in modern graphics. Many of course rightly said "it doesn't need to have that." True enough that it certainly doesn't. Duke is a classic, and there honestly isn't much that could be done to improve it. But seeing how the visuals were fiddled with in World Tour to add more polygons, modern lighting, and some more textures to the environments while the rest stays the same as before feels so unsatisfying. If you're going to tweak the visuals at all, go all the way or don't do it at all, is how I feel. Seeing what was done only made me wish that Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded was allowed to have been released, or that Gearbox had simply bought the title and finished it themselves. What are the odds of such a thing happening in a new, more definitive release of the game?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostToxic34, on 30 July 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

I know that in my questions I wanted to be asked to Randy, I mentioned wanting a full remaster of Duke Nukem 3D in modern graphics.

Have a look at the HRP to see how that would look like... not good.

I'm familiar with the HRP version. But I think that what Interceptor was doing looked amazing. I really wanted to play it. Then all this whole "Gearbox won't let us release it", "now we're given a green light to go to Steam but we won't", "It was our decision to stop" and all of that just really makes my head hurt. I think that doing a full remaster of Duke in Unreal Engine 4 would be something to marvel at.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Love it or hate it, a project like Reloaded probably would've been lucrative for Gearbox rather than yet another port of the original Duke3D. Even if they had done a bit better with World Tour, I still wasn't expecting it to sell well. You can't remove something, replace it with something that offers less and expect people to love it. Randy seems to believe that nobody loves the Megaton Edition expansion packs, but the feedback on World Tour has said otherwise. The Duke3D ship has already sailed and a brand new episode wasn't enough to bring it back.

I could probably see some potential in the HTTKC, but I don't see another Duke3D port going far in the future. Something amazing is going to have to be pulled off to get a lot of people to buy the game yet again. It would be smarter to dig up the Zero Hour source code and do something there. The only problem is that Randy shows no interest in that game, nor TTK or LOTB. I think he needs to step out of his Duke3D bubble and realize that a lot of Duke fans became Duke fans because of those games. Not everyone started out on Duke3D. That's a fact.

• Weaponized Autism

Duke Nukem 3D does not need a remake in a new engine. Just make an new game at that rate.

I wish Randy would take the time to talk with me face to face, I live like an hour away from dallas I would like to talk duke seriously I know the guy wants to make money and I know alot people want either anew Duke Nukem Game or those 3 spin offs

I do have a story idea for anew Duke Nukem game I like to pitch to him.

I think a new game should be heavily influenced by Duke3D. That may be one positive thing about Randy staying within his Duke3D bubble, but it's yet to be determined how things will turn out. I'd be just as happy to see another third-person Duke game at this point... as long as it's not top-down view.

DNF was said to be Duke3D X 1000, but that sure didn't happen. I remember hearing cool things during development, like being able to beat a Pig Cop with a pool cue and more. It would've been great to freely beat and kick enemies instead of only being able to while they're stunned. That needs to make a comeback.

How can a new Duke be influenced by Duke 3D? Keycard-hunting on isolated levels can only get you so far.

I think the Quake 2/SiN approach is the best. You have a start and end point, but how you do it is up to you and keycards are replaced with more contextually-related stuff like turning off a shield generator and stuff like that. But Quake 2 levels are barely connected too, it's not like Half-Life where there's a sense of continuity between each map.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostPikaCommando, on 30 July 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

But Quake 2 levels are barely connected too, it's not like Half-Life where there's a sense of continuity between each map.

Some of them are, but not most. There's even backtracking involved. And on the other side, there are some points in Half-Life where you just teleport to another area which has no continuity (not just Xen, but the part where you get captured too). Though, those are few and far between as well.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

Do you people realize how expensive it would be to develop a full remake of Duke 3D with modern graphics? That would need to be a full-price title, and I'm not sure there are enough people wanting to pay that for it to make sense from a money-perspective.
There would also be all kind of issues with trying to preserve the look and feel of the levels while increasing the detail without making things look and feel either empty, messy or just illogical or unrealistic.

View PostPikaCommando, on 30 July 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

How can a new Duke be influenced by Duke 3D? Keycard-hunting on isolated levels can only get you so far.

I think the Quake 2/SiN approach is the best. You have a start and end point, but how you do it is up to you and keycards are replaced with more contextually-related stuff like turning off a shield generator and stuff like that. But Quake 2 levels are barely connected too, it's not like Half-Life where there's a sense of continuity between each map.

Duke 3D already had "connected levels", where usually one level started where the previous one ended. Going the extra step shouldn't be too farfetched.
As for Quake 2, I think one of the reasons it didn't feel like a place was because of the styling. It was all so dull and muddy and never really looked like much at all, IMO.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 30 July 2017 - 11:27 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Once you have access to modern tools and ways of doing things, you'll want to improve stuff. Modernised designs, improved level detail, by the time you stopped, it would be something different to the original. As we all know, once it deviates in the slightest from the original, that target audience is lost. There is absolutely no point whatsoever in remaking DN3D in Unreal. Apart from that, with World Tour, various ports and the Megaton edition we don't need yet another reworking.

Take the ideals of DN3D and make something new.

View PostTea Monster, on 31 July 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

Exactly. They should set a mandatory rule for the development of the next Duke game which requires that the game have as much freedom for the player to do things as in Duke3D. No restrictions. Duke3D should be used as a guide. Take those ideas and build onto them even more. Come up with even more innovative and clever ideas to add. The next game should deliver everything that Duke3D did and then some.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 31 July 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

No restrictions.

That is a terrible idea, and that is how DNF turned out to be the shit show it was at release. They should not focus on "no restrictions". Instead, they should focus on core gameplay. I don't give a shit that I can draw on the whiteboard :thumbsup:.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 31 July 2017 - 05:16 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 31 July 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

No restrictions. Duke3D should be used as a guide.

So what, except for being able to stand on top of buildings you can enter? Posted Image

User is offline   axl 

View PostTea Monster, on 31 July 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

Once you have access to modern tools and ways of doing things, you'll want to improve stuff. Modernised designs, improved level detail, by the time you stopped, it would be something different to the original. As we all know, once it deviates in the slightest from the original, that target audience is lost. There is absolutely no point whatsoever in remaking DN3D in Unreal. Apart from that, with World Tour, various ports and the Megaton edition we don't need yet another reworking.

I completely agree.

User is offline   NNC 

What I would love to see if those Chuck Jones models for various enemies made into a definitive version of the game. Is he still available to do that?

The other thing I would love to see of course are more levels from the original creators. I'm not sure if they have any motivation left in them after the reception of WT.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNancsi, on 31 July 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

What I would love to see if those Chuck Jones models for various enemies made into a definitive version of the game. Is he still available to do that?

The other thing I would love to see of course are more levels from the original creators. I'm not sure if they have any motivation left in them after the reception of WT.

Why wouldn't they? Even though overall WT was received badly and a lot of people had issues with the new enemy and final boss Episode 5 was great in my opinion and the general feedback gave me that picture too.

And well, there is nothing inherently wrong with WT, it just needs a final polish.

View Posticecoldduke, on 31 July 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

That is a terrible idea, and that is how DNF turned out to be the shit show it was at release. They should not focus on "no restrictions". Instead, they should focus on core gameplay. I don't give a shit that I can draw on the whiteboard :thumbsup:.

I agree, and that's not what I meant by restrictions. If you compare DNF to Duke3D, DNF is very restricted. I don't want them to waste time on pointless interactions with the environment either. If anything in the environment is interactive, it should be used to kick an alien's ass with. Being able to rip the ceiling-mounted turrets from the ceiling and manually shoot with them wouldn't be a bad idea, in my opinion. I wouldn't have a problem with that sort of interactivity, but I could also live without it. I would just hope if they did recreate those Duke3D turrets in a new game and consider that idea, that it wouldn't slow Duke's movement down any compared to holding any other weapons.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 31 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

One freedom I really missed in DNF - other than the general restricted movement - was being able to break things. You know, "if you can't pick it up, use it; if you can't use it, break it" as the tagline used to be. In Duke 3D you couldn't only break walls, but most props (and all NPC's). While it doesn't serve much use in terms of gameplay, it IMO does a lot to give that feeling of empowerment and make the environment feel more believable rather than just a playset with city textures.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options