• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 January 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

I have no idea. I don't know you.

OK, anything else? Is the screenie satisfying or should I use another one on a Billy Boy map?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I still find it hard to believe that's a 64MB Intel graphics chip. But if it is, you throw normals, models and hi res textures in there and you'll find your crawl. Try it with the Polymer HRP.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 January 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

I still find it hard to believe that's a 64MB Intel graphics chip. But if it is, you throw normals, models and hi res textures in there and you'll find your crawl. Try it with the Polymer HRP.

I'm pretty sure that the HRP wouldn't work on my CPU. Just the basic renderer. The WT one, and the WT stopgap Eduke32 one however lag like hell.

User is offline   pacman 

The occlusion mapping and the bump maping makes WT look fantastic, too bad it lacks all the modding features and console comands from eduke to feel like a solid port. I finished the new episode and it had fantastic design at some points and the new textures are great, but overall it feels rushed and the new enemy and boss are lame. They could have done something epic if they spent more time.

But yeah some of the parts are so flat, some are great... it's not consistent. Also the secret that I found were dull except the Sam tribute. What the hell are all those rock crack rockets with armor or ammo on it? why not keep building a longer cave, or just bigger secrets than small rooms? I remember how in the original episodes some secrets lead to entire new rooms. It lacked that immersiveness.

I also didn't found the secret level if there is one... i'll look it up now.

Btw I hope people make maps, i'll definitely play them and will feel like the purchase was more worth it, I bought it mostly to see what people can do with the new art etc, hopefully once in a while we see new good maps. I would like a roch map with all those new textures, would look good in that style.

This post has been edited by pacman: 04 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

I wish Eduke32 had Ambient Occlusion, it's so good in Duke3D 20th.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNancsi, on 04 January 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

Seriously, do you think I'm THIS retarded? Here is your screenshot:

Attachment duke0000.png

Are you sure it's not polymost?

User is offline   Kawa 

Jokes aside, the green glow says polymer.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMicky C, on 04 January 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

Are you sure it's not polymost?

I'm not sure anymore. Maybe the screen is taken from Super Mario Bros.

User is offline   pacman 

I noticed polymer takes the biggest fps hits when there is fire.. the fire sprites create some huge lights and shadows

• Honored Donor

View Postpacman, on 05 January 2017 - 04:33 AM, said:

I noticed polymer takes the biggest fps hits when there is fire.. the fire sprites create some huge lights and shadows

The fire lights don't cast shadows, so they're less resource intensive.

• The Sarien Encounter

Mmm. Spotlights are the most intensive.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostNancsi, on 04 January 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

Seriously, do you think I'm THIS retarded?

He's cracking, guys.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostBlitZ, on 05 January 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

(...) guys.

I'm disappointed in you Blitz. I thought you are a manly man smartass, but seeking for support in your quest is neither manly nor smart. Just ass.

User is offline   pacman 

View PostTea Monster, on 21 November 2016 - 11:31 PM, said:

No it isn't just you. Creeping around that underground maze with the lava, when just minutes before you had triggered an earthquake. Then finding the underground spaceship. That is still my favorite level of pretty much any game. It was one of the few to give me an actual sense of adventure to explore it and find out what was going on.

yeah i loved that sense of deep exploration in the abyss
tour de nukem had a bit of that when you get underground and enter inside the battlelord ship (looks like a ship in between rocks or something) but it wasnt as epic as the abyss. i remember the insane heights of the abyss giving me vertigo back then

btw anyone know why the f*** the mousewheel doesnt properly change weapons? i hope they fix that asap

This post has been edited by pacman: 06 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

The one feature I like in WT (besides maps etc.) is the rewind. It's the very first time I've met this mechanic (I never got into the new Prince of Persia games), and I gotta say, for casual play it's great, especially for first-timers. The gamepad support is also quite good, I've finished like half of the maps playing with my weird X360/PS3 hybrid pad, and had a blast, even I've had to play more carefully and slower. So there are traces of a well done job, but I still would like to see them in Megaton...

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Yeah I liked the rewind as it eliminated me having to quicksave so often; kinda bizarre it took this long since the original 360 port to get it on PC

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostNancsi, on 06 January 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

I'm disappointed in you Blitz. I thought you are a manly man smartass, but seeking for support in your quest is neither manly nor smart. Just ass.

Posted Image

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

I'm kind of sad now that Episode 5 was probably a one-shot thing. It was genuinely amazing to see 3DR veterans return for a 20th anniversary celebration. Playing the new maps for the first time was a magical experience to me and it bums me out that we might never get an Episode 6 by them. I'd love to have more music by Lee Jackson too!

User is offline   pacman 

View PostShaq Fu, on 20 January 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

I'm kind of sad now that Episode 5 was probably a one-shot thing. It was genuinely amazing to see 3DR veterans return for a 20th anniversary celebration. Playing the new maps for the first time was a magical experience to me and it bums me out that we might never get an Episode 6 by them. I'd love to have more music by Lee Jackson too!

same, it was cool but too short, i was left wanting more, so i searched for new user maps, unfortunately there aren't many.

This post has been edited by pacman: 20 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

• Honored Donor

View Postpacman, on 20 January 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

same, it was cool but too short, i was left wanting more, so i searched for new user maps, unfortunately there aren't many.

I still don't see your obsession with wanting the newest maps. The standard in Duke mapping has been fairly consistent over the last 10 years. If you think mapping going forward is going to be influenced at all by the content of world tour I think you'll be disappointed. Mappers each have their own style and tend not to deviate from it.

I'm sure several people around here could list 100 maps that are considered better than those in World Tour. Also, as has been mentioned previously, the new episode feels like exactly that; a new episode. A bunch of new levels with some extra music, art, and (mediocre) enemies chucked in. It doesn't contain extra instances of interectivty, for example the new sprites aren't destructible, or any new big cool effects. It pretty much just has the feel of a collection of user maps.

User is offline   stumppy84 

How do we know there won't be a sixth episode? Just a hunch?
I really liked WT! The boss was the worst part.. maps, art, and music were awesome!!

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Didn't Randy say that there was other plans in store for Duke3D content? Including a release that will include the expansions?

• The Sarien Encounter

Any questions he's gotten about future Duke content he said would be determined by WT sales.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

User is offline   NNC 

View Postpacman, on 20 January 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Why people keep saying the new episode was too short? No, it was much longer than any of the other episodes. It lasted 2 hours. In comparison, episode 1 lasted 1 hour, episode 2 lasted a little more, probably 1 hour and 15 minutes, episoded 3 lasted 1 hour again, very short levels, and episode 4 was a bit longer, but no more than 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Yes, new episode has only 8 levels, while others had 11, but levels were much longer, most of them has Dark Side / Derelict length.

I concur that it's sad the new episode was a flash in the pan, and has no impact on the community (even less than the likes of Duke Hard or DNF2013). The community's negativity towards Gearbox really killed the joy even in those people who loved to play it.

• Honored Donor

What do you mean impact on the community? What did you expect it to change?

Btw you're assuming people didn't spend over an hour on Death Row which is a bit foolish Posted Image

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMicky C, on 21 January 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

What do you mean impact on the community? What did you expect it to change?

Btw you're assuming people didn't spend over an hour on Death Row which is a bit foolish Posted Image

Well, episode 1 was special, because we had to learn the game mechanics. Not just Death Row, but we had to figure out stuff like the red key in RLD, the shrinker and the underwater gears in TD, or how to spawn the earthquake in The Abyss. Those were the days! Those puzzles however are easy stuff by now, and hard to add new ones that give some run for the money to the player, but still not in the unfair territory. Adding puzzles like the ones in the Billy Boy levels should be avoided from commercial releases. Adding new interactive elements would have been fine, but in 2016, it's not a big deal anymore.

But I gotta agree that episode 1 to this day is probably (or at least one of) the best Build engine episodes ever. As for the other 3, I was a bit disappointed with the retail version, especially with episode 3. Episode 4 was certainly a great add-on and had a big impact on the community, most user made levels followed that style.

Episode 5 is something that should have been released for the 10th anniversary, it would have a much bigger reputation. If we compare that to E2-E4, it has better mapping quality, and longer lasting experience though.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 21 January 2017 - 04:14 AM

User is offline   axl 

View PostMicky C, on 20 January 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

I still don't see your obsession with wanting the newest maps. The standard in Duke mapping has been fairly consistent over the last 10 years. If you think mapping going forward is going to be influenced at all by the content of world tour I think you'll be disappointed. Mappers each have their own style and tend not to deviate from it.

I'm sure several people around here could list 100 maps that are considered better than those in World Tour. Also, as has been mentioned previously, the new episode feels like exactly that; a new episode. A bunch of new levels with some extra music, art, and (mediocre) enemies chucked in. It doesn't contain extra instances of interectivty, for example the new sprites aren't destructible, or any new big cool effects. It pretty much just has the feel of a collection of user maps.

I agree that there are user maps out there which can be considered better than the maps in WT, but the fact that they are "official" maps from the original creators, give them something really special.

Other question: Terminx said a while ago that gearbox still had some patches planned for WT... Any news? Anyone?

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postaxl, on 21 January 2017 - 07:16 AM, said:

Other question: Terminx said a while ago that gearbox still had some patches planned for WT... Any news? Anyone?

The only patch Gearbox did was Nov. 2 of last year and after that, no signs since then...

I hope they won't just give up...even it seems like that. :P

User is offline   pacman 

View PostMicky C, on 20 January 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

i played most if not all pre 2016 maps that got good ratings in the repository, thats why i ask for 2016+

User is offline   Defrago 

Is there some kind of savegame editor for this game? Opened one with Notepad++ and first half were unrecognized symbols and second half are lots of scripts code. Things I wanna perform are changing difficulty mid-level, amount of ammo and more

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options