• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Too bad it looks like it could run with a much lower DX version.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Are these physical copies or digital codes? There's no information on the page currently
http://www.gamestop....gamestop/136495
http://www.gamestop....gamestop/136496

Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Would it really have been that much more difficult to code the renderer in openGL so they could sell the game on mac and linux?

I seen afew games like MineCraft Back To The Future on disk maybe gearbox would do that to sell the game more also I talked to gamestop they said doesn't show anything juat the price and release date , I'm guessing it might be a disk version since it has a date for Nov 18 and not Nov 11, We have to wait and see.

User is offline   Lunick 

Answering my own question here, they are physical copies https://twitter.com/...207753090740224

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Do you think Gearbox and pitchford will be surprised when it fails and sells barely any copies? "what's our next move sir?" "let's re-release the game that's been re-released a dozen times on a dozen different platforms and given away for free maybe it'll sell because we removed all other options"

View PostHiPolyBash, on 06 October 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

Do you think Gearbox and pitchford will be surprised when it fails and sells barely any copies? "what's our next move sir?" "let's re-release the game that's been re-released a dozen times on a dozen different platforms and given away for free maybe it'll sell because we removed all other options"

Duke Nukem Forever: Hail to the King Edition

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 06 October 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

It is a new game release, with a newly made renderer.

Oh, come on...

View PostHiPolyBash, on 06 October 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

Nah, they'll probably say "fuck it, this IP was a waste of money, let it die" and never release any Duke game ever again.

I doubt this is that kind of test. This is to renew interest and hunger for Duke. Megaton didn't have this much buzz. I know feelings aren't positive for Gearbox, but I don't think they are that dumb to use this as a market research experiment knowing it's been released over and over.

All of my Duke games are spread out across multiple platforms now. Duke 64 & Zero Hour - N64, Duke DC / Life's A Beach / Nuke Winter on my Mac, DNF - PS3, Time to Kill / Babes - PS1, World Tour - PS4. I want them all compiled onto current gen consoles.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Quantum break was W10 only simply due to being UWP-only for no reason other than to please MS.
It was intentionally gimped down to fit the UWP specifications and to have no true advantage over the XB1 version.

I assume Steam release is more of a re-release that uses the more common win32 API and generally free of UWP handicaps.

EDIT: Nice, just noticed that this discussion was on the previous page, thought I reached the end.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 07 October 2016 - 06:37 AM

View PostKathy, on 06 October 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

Oh, come on...

Are you into current PC gaming? Just curious, do you personally not have Windows 7 or higher and DX11? I'd assume most people into stuff on steam in the past 5 years would have to have those kind of specs. If not, I sympathize, it just is what it is.

I can see somebody being bothered by the specs, and this is an oldschool game forum, just the specs have been on steam for a while.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 07 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Asked about the game at my local GameStop, looks like it's US exclusive.

That's no fun, do you mean PC or console? For console I think PS4 is region free, I'm not sure if there's an easy way to fool steam though.

On the previous topic, for me the most impressive thing about hearing sombody is using WinXP is that their computer still works. A computer that's like 14 years old, that would be a pretty epic run. So many components would usually have died and needed several replacements usually. I also don't know how much stuff these days works on XP, I guess more than I'd think. According to a google search I guess Chrome stopped supporting XP a year ago, decent run there. I use Firefox more myself.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 07 October 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 07 October 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

That's no fun, do you mean PC or console? For console I think PS4 is region free, I'm not sure if there's an easy way to fool steam though.

Asian PS4 doesn't have World Tour in it (but it appears in the US PS Store) whereas it's available in the usually region-restrictive Steam.

What the hell, Gearbox?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

What's purpose of making the game region restricted, except for not selling as many copies?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

This region restriction policy kinda turns the "World Tour" title into a mockery...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Whats an exclusive?

View PostTea Monster, on 07 October 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

Whats an exclusive?

H O S T A G E W A R E

So what do you guys think, will they have replaced the GRP filetype with their own storage format?

Will we be able to extract the new art or music at all?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 07 October 2016 - 07:45 AM, said:

Are you into current PC gaming? Just curious, do you personally not have Windows 7 or higher and DX11? I'd assume most people into stuff on steam in the past 5 years would have to have those kind of specs. If not, I sympathize, it just is what it is.

I don't use Windows.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 07 October 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

So what do you guys think, will they have replaced the GRP filetype with their own storage format?

Yes.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 07 October 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

Will we be able to extract the new art or music at all?

And, yes.

User is offline   BoowHow 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 07 October 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

On the previous topic, for me the most impressive thing about hearing sombody is using WinXP is that their computer still works.

To be honest, I'm still surprised that my Laptop hasn't died yet, considering I have it for seven years now. (Incase somebody wants to know it's a HP Compaq 6715s)

A computer that's like 14 years old, that would be a pretty epic run.

I have an old PC standing around somewhere (wich I think is from 2004), however the Graphic Card inside died some months ago. (It was a nvidia geforce5500fx)

According to a google search I guess Chrome stopped supporting XP a year ago.

I should be glad that Firefox still supports XP.
Because I don't even dare using the Internet Explorer. (Who uses that anyway?)

User is offline   Valhalla 

View PostFox, on 07 October 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

What's purpose of making the game region restricted, except for not selling as many copies?

I can think of one remotely possible reason, multiplayer. Since duke nukem 3d isn't coded worth a crap for anything but local area multipayer. (By local I mean a distance of a few US states, or a small country.) Any real latency and it's unplayable.

Boowhow: I'd sell you my old gaming pc for cheap. but honestly the shipping and handling alone would likely be a few hundred dollars alone, it weighs about the same as an entire arcade cabinet. (100-120lbs) ;)

This post has been edited by Valhalla: 07 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNightFright, on 07 October 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

This region restriction policy kinda turns the "World Tour" title into a mockery...

Maybe Gearbox is finally doing some clever writing for Duke, and engaging in some metaphysical humour on a higher level. At the same time they're making a strong statement that they're not willing to sell out, rather that they're sticking by their high standards at the expense of sales.

Maybe not.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostValhalla, on 07 October 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

I can think of one remotely possible reason, multiplayer. Since duke nukem 3d isn't coded worth a crap for anything but local area multipayer. (By local I mean a distance of a few US states, or a small country.) Any real latency and it's unplayable.

Boowhow: I'd sell you my old gaming pc for cheap. but honestly the shipping and handling alone would likely be a few hundred dollars alone, it weighs about the same as an entire arcade cabinet. (100-120lbs) ;)

I will accept that explanation.

In case anyone was wondering if the net code would would be fixed...

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 October 2016 - 08:39 PM

• Polymancer

I still can't understand how they spent the money on cramming a new renderer into the DN3D code, and then afterwards, couldn't get a creature artist or anyone who can do 8 bit art to work on the art side. Is that what actually happened? The bill for the renderer came in and they were like "Oh Shit, no money left! Give the art contract to your 13 year old daughter with a pirated copy of Photoshop!" Nothing about this makes any sense.

World Tour is a very Gearbox solution to a problem - lots of head scratching and confusion about what went on to arrive at the finished product - like ACM and DNF. Did they give it to the janitor to project manage?

Has anyone found out if the ROR code has been improved? Let me guess...

Does the new renderer support models or voxels?

User is offline   Lunick 

We're not gonna find any of those answers until the game even releases, if any reviews come out before release, they won't touch upon that kind of stuff...

• Polymancer

This thing is such a bizarre mess and a wasted opportunity.

I'm still looking forward to playing the new levels - that will be great.

But with only a very small amount of effort, it could have been so much better. It's like the person who managed this just didn't give a damn about anything, which kind of defeats the whole point of a passion project on releasing new levels for a 20 year old game. You give it to someone who is either A. Competent, or B. Cares. Neither of these qualities are evident in the final product.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 08 October 2016 - 12:07 AM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostTea Monster, on 07 October 2016 - 11:52 PM, said:

Did they give it to the janitor to project manage?

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options