• 114 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   jet_nick 

Tea Monster, on 25 August 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

No Rest For The Living is amazing.

Found some problems with the posted image. Either they have some problems with alpha masks or someone at 4chan was playing with these.
Posted Image

Note well, behind lizard and pig cop, there are a corpse, maybe there will be a new enemy?

This post has been edited by jet_nick: 26 August 2016 - 01:01 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Found some problems with image ey? What a keen eye, it's not like they're obvious or anything :P That issue is far more likely to be related to some kind of ambient occlusion system.

If you look at corners of geometry such as where walls meet the floor or when walls meet at acute angles, you'll see that those regions are shaded slightly. It's a nice subtle effect that I hope comes to polymerNG, but it's also probably the cause of the Sprite problem, since they're so close to the wall in this case.

User is offline   Flesh420 

Lunick, on 25 August 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

So I'm probably reading into this too much but this account follows someone strange https://twitter.com/DanBilzerian

They like babes, they have an interesting body structure, they like gambling in vegas, they like their guns, they like gaming... is this person going to be a Duke Nukem actor...?

That dude's like a real life Duke Nukem minus the hair, shades, gum, and aliens. Is he an Arms Dealer or something? Lmfao...

This post has been edited by Flesh420: 26 August 2016 - 01:27 AM

• Honored Donor

He's a poker player.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Micky C, on 26 August 2016 - 01:41 AM, said:

He's a poker player.

He also suffered two heart attacks before he was 30!

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Micky C, on 26 August 2016 - 01:41 AM, said:

He's a poker player.

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

Oh my god. This can't be real.

That first screenshot with the English looking street is definitely the worst, but even then, EVERYTHING screams "shitty 1996 mod (with dynamic lightsTM !)

To summarize, there is no art direction whatsoever, it's just like those fan mods that bring in textures from many different games into DN3D.

And I hate how "dynamic light" seem to be an excuse to NOT use sector based shading. There isn't any, in any screenshot.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 August 2016 - 01:59 AM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

I hope Gearbox comes to the realization that everyone thought their Duke model/art for DNF - aka 'Douche Nukem' was terribad and it's better in future titles more like Zero Hour and 3D style. If they cared so much about the franchise they probably wouldn't have immediately jumped in and changed the look of Duke for Duke Forever.

With any luck the upcoming re-release will be alright and the new episode worth playing through but I'm still hoping they put a new title in to production eventually. DNF was five years ago..

• Honored Donor

MetHy, on 26 August 2016 - 01:58 AM, said:

it's just like those fan mods that bring in textures from many different games into DN3D.

Yeah I hate those.

Let's not forget that TX has had actually had a look at this episode, and has worked at least loosely (perhaps communicated is a better term) with them on the project. He seems to think it's pretty good, so let's give it the benefit of the doubt.

Don't forget, this probably isn't so much aimed at the hardcore Duke fanbase as it is for the wider gaming community, and to make Duke slightly more relevant again/bring it into better favour with the public. In this context, dynamic lights (i.e shiny new graphics) is exactly what the wider gaming community would want, even though I mostly agree with your comments.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It's hard to believe that in 2016 they can't even make a proper recolor of a weapon, or that their best idea for the effect of the flamethrower is turning enemies in pal 2...

User is offline   MetHy 

Micky C, on 26 August 2016 - 02:08 AM, said:

Yeah I hate those.

Let's not forget that TX has had actually had a look at this episode, and has worked at least loosely (perhaps communicated is a better term) with them on the project. He seems to think it's pretty good, so let's give it the benefit of the doubt.

Don't forget, this probably isn't so much aimed at the hardcore Duke fanbase as it is for the wider gaming community, and to make Duke slightly more relevant again/bring it into better favour with the public. In this context, dynamic lights (i.e shiny new graphics) is exactly what the wider gaming community would want, even though I mostly agree with your comments.

Dynamic lights could really be good in DN3D, if properly mixed with sector based shading and wall shading, and used at the right times, it could look amazing.
From the look of these screenshots, it seems to be an excuse to even skip wall shading, which seems to be lacking in many places.

Fox, on 26 August 2016 - 02:10 AM, said:

It's hard to believe that in 2016 they can't even make a proper recolor of a weapon, or that their best idea for the effect of the flamethrower is turning enemies in pal 2...

Earlier I had a theory that modern devs are not skilled for retro 2.5D FPS because it's a completely different way of making a game. This only comforts me in my opinion.

Honestly I may be harsh, okay, let's wait and see. Perhaps those are early screens and this will be ALL fixed and better.

But it clearly isn't promising. I'm afraid they "leaked" those screenshots on purpose, which is what modern advertising is all about, which would mean that they are what they want to show.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 August 2016 - 02:17 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'm sorry that they didn't re-res the sprites from the original models - oh wait, aren't they locked in the vaults of their sworn enemies: 3DR?

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

I was hoping they would have dug up the old Chuck Jones models and rendered out the sprites in high resolution but it looks like I was asking for too much. When it comes to 3D Realms, Interceptor and Gearbox I wish everyone would just get along. Gearbox have done nothing with the franchise for 5 years while Interceptor has taken multiple chances to do something with it before being shafted by Gearbox and Randy. What would it hurt to let a willing developer do a remake of Duke Nukem 3D or some spin-off game? If not Interceptor and 3D Realms why not a group of fans or some other company that has interest, Devolver would probably jump at the chance to use the IP for something.

I guess we just have to wait and see what comes out of this.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Holy bazinga. It looks awful. I mean it looks OK for the mod, but not for the paid product. Can't say anything about the level design, but the new textures and sprites look bad. Seems like they just found a texture on the internet, applied color palette and put it in the game. Same for the sprites. LOL

I wonder what they're gonna charge for this, cause if they're not gonna put the Megaton or original back up for sale then the World Tour Edition will have to have the Atomic Edition, Life's a Beach, Nuclear Winter and Duke it out in DC as well.

Also if they skip the Steam Workshop it's gonna end badly for them.

User is offline   zykov eddy 

I wonder if the new engine is compatable with VR and steam.

Not impressed by screenshots.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Posted Image

Hopefully, they remove those cameras floating in the sky.

Welp, there goes my hope for another full-3D Duke game.

At least the levels look cool though. My favorites are these:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Is this why Megaton was taken down?

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 26 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

m-m-m
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Vazovski: 26 August 2016 - 04:19 AM

Somehow I didn't realize that was the Flamethrower at first glance.

Welcome back, Flamethrower? Are we gonna get Laser Chainsaws and Sonic Resonators now too?

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 26 August 2016 - 04:17 AM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Don't let Allen Blum or Levelord find out, they'll be bleeding from the eyes.

For the "official" mods for Duke 3D I kind of expected that the new content mesh with the old in a way that looks like it belongs (maybe it's just how I felt way back then though) so the new lighting I don't like and I use Polymer with the lighting disabled because it doesn't look good unless you're also using the HRP with the game. Even NAM and WWIIGI which were just Duke 3D TCs at least did the art justice I felt and things like smoke and fire were acceptable. I think even 3D Realms knew that an enemy on fire you don't just make red and throw some bullet puffs in there and little fire decals. Blood did it probably the best way you could do it, by having sprites specifically for when enemies caught on fire and for the charred remains. I don't understand the recoloring of the flamethrower looking that messy. Not a fan of the new sky textures. That red one looks like the building in it was quickly copied and pasted in there. In that same image there's actually a security camera floating up in the air above the Battlelord.

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Vazovski, on 26 August 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

m-m-m
Spoiler

*Fixed

Spoiler

Sad part is we're prob not gonna see the 3D Realms logo during load up anymore :P

Also just threw this together to see how the new logo looked on the box art.
Posted Image

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I have noticed one thing : the pixels don't go bigger when the sprite is getting closer to you, just getting some alliasing, perhaps that's an additionnal improvement...

I guess that the new content is worth getting it (after all, an expansion have been released for Postal 2 recently), and perhaps all this new content will be downloadable (DLC) content for Steam's Megaton Edition, allowing us to use our mods (the mod "Frenchduke3d" is the one that allow me to keep playing Duke Nukem 3D, especially regarding to the regularity) !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 26 August 2016 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

It being by Nerve software puts a lot of my fears at rest; just have to see what kind of pricing we're talking about at the end of the day though.

• Honored Donor

xMobilemux, on 26 August 2016 - 04:13 AM, said:

Also if they skip the Steam Workshop it's gonna end badly for them.

Even if they do, it's not like people are going to re-upload all the content from Megaton Edition.

I hope it will have multiplayer bots at the very least.

User is offline   LkMax 

This thread:

Posted Image

lol
The maps are looking fine for a new Duke 3D episode, and let's not overreact comparing it with shitty 1996 mods (Duke Zone anyone?).
I hate Gearbox as much as the next guy but let's not be dishonest here just for the sake of it.

PS: Maybe the flamethrower is an attachment to the freezer gun like the expander is an attachment to the shrinker.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 26 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Get ready to be disappointed.

Hmm - All this hype for the add-on only? I hope they have a new game cooking already where this add-on is only an appetizer for us :P

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options